Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  46 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Americans Mainly Reject Labor Unions

Muda69

https://www.cato.org/blog/americans-mainly-reject-labor-unions

Union membership continues to decline, according to new data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Union membership fell from 6.3 percent of private‐sector employment in 2020 to 6.1 percent in 2021. Meanwhile, membership fell from 29.9 percent to 29.6 percent in state governments, and from 41.7 percent to 40.2 percent in local governments.

The chart shows that private‐sector membership has fallen steadily since the 1960s. Michael Saltsman notes that unions may gain the odd victory at a Starbucks location, but that is unlikely to change the overall trend. Meanwhile, the chart shows that the union share in the public sector remains high. I discuss some of the reasons why here.

The new data will be unwelcome to President Biden, who mistakenly sees unions as centrally important to the economy. He says that he wants to “provide workers with the choice to join a union and bargain collectively with their employers.” But private‐sector workers are rejecting that option, even though unions need just bare majority votes to impose themselves on workplaces.

/sites/cato.org/files/styles/pubs_2x/public/2022-01/labor%20union%20shares.png?itok=9tmO07DHNotes: Chart data from BLS and unionstats. For more on labor unions, see here, here, and here.

Good.

• Kill me now 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

The subject of the transformation in the public perception of organized labor over the years is fascinating. They’ve gone from protector of the common man, to thumb on the scales of the economy, to banker for organized crime, to now - largely political entities more interested in influencing national policy and national elections than their original role of providing an economic check on corporate disregard for anything but the bottom line.

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Goose Liver said:

When you replace Bobref with a robot please call me.  I don't think his personality could be engineered into a robot.

Wait.  He isn't a robot?  🤣😂

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

I don't think BR could be accurately replicated.  I think we would be sadly disappointed.....

image.jpeg.c32159925d053c126f936084c777d561.jpeg  Anyone?  

***Just a shameless plug for this show, which is airing it's final season in 2 weeks.

• Haha 1