Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp's 6A Tournament Predictions

21 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I've never used the word dominant, EVER, when describing a possible future for a program like Tech. More like "better" or "more competitive". Again you're reaching.

It can stretch to whatever necessary measure. If East St. Louis can put together a nationally rated football program, Tech certainly can win 6 or 7 games once in a blue moon. One school district tries, the other doesn't. 

Nick Saban didn't win anything until he went to LSU, you know a school with a proud tradition who is all-in. 

The East Saint Louis Athletic program in NO WAY can even be compared to that of Tech.

ESL McKinley and ESL Lincoln closed within that district years ago and THAT gave them a multitude of athletic ability that was able to be tapped into.  It was a self-sustaining situation.   

Add that to the legacy of the Women's (and Men's) Track and Field programs, the Basketball programs (including ESL Lincoln);  How is a HS withing a a LARGER ISP District (Tech) even on par, or could even be compared?

Clearly (the) ESL Flyers have taken pride in their athletic programs, so much so, that kids OUTSIDE of their district (and Illinois) transfer there to participate in their activities.   Big time difference!   

• Like 1

Just now, Yuccaguy said:

The East Saint Louis Athletic program in NO WAY can even be compared to that of Tech.

ESL McKinley and ESL Lincoln closed within that district years ago and THAT gave them a multitude of athletic ability that was able to be tapped into.  It was a self-sustaining situation.   

Add that to the legacy of the Women's (and Men's) Track and Field programs, the Basketball programs (including ESL Lincoln);  How is a HS withing a a LARGER ISP District (Tech) even on par, or could even be compared?

Clearly (the) ESL Flyers have taken pride in their athletic programs, so much so, that kids OUTSIDE of their district (and Illinois) transfer there to participate in their activities.   Big time difference!   

Is that not what IPS has done over the years? Shutdown multiple high schools to consolidate down towards one bigger high school? 

And IPS is 6x larger than ESLD, not sure you know what you're talking about.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Is that not what IPS has done over the years? Shutdown multiple high schools to consolidate down towards one bigger high school? 

And IPS is 6x larger than ESLD, not sure you know what you're talking about.

Not even close to the ESL situation...  Perhaps you don't realize as ridiculous of a comparison to Tech you raised?   

1 minute ago, Yuccaguy said:

Not even close to the ESL situation...  Perhaps you don't realize as ridiculous of a comparison to Tech you raised? 

It's not a ridiculous comparison. It's an impoverished area with similar demographics to that of the Tech High School makeup who excels in many sports despite that fact. Temp has told us for years that if you have an 80-90% f/r lunch rate and aren't in the top half of your classification enrollment, you have no chance of succeeding athletically. ESL is a singular example that completely contradicts this narrative on top of the many examples I have provided in the past. 

• Kill me now 1

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's not a ridiculous comparison. It's an impoverished area with similar demographics to that of the Tech High School makeup who excels in many sports despite that fact. Temp has told us for years that if you have an 80-90% f/r lunch rate and aren't in the top half of your classification enrollment, you have no chance of succeeding athletically. ESL is a singular example that completely contradicts this narrative on top of the many examples I have provided in the past. 

As a STL born and bred person...  How about you take some time and LEARN something?  

Tech is perhaps more like University City (MO), or Ritenour (MO), or Saint Louis Sumner?   

Edited by Yuccaguy

Just now, Footballking16 said:

East St Louis is the only school district in America to ever consolidate? I guess I do learn something new every day. 

I'm done with this stupid comparison to a district that is solely it's OWN (ESL) and that which a part of a larger one (Tech)....

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

I'm done with this stupid comparison to a district that is solely it's OWN (ESL) and that which a part of a larger one (Tech)....

I’m not comparing districts smartass. But you knew that. I made the comparison between East St Louis High School and Arsenal Tech, two inner-city schools with identical demographics and socio-economic status.

If you’ve followed any of Temp’s diatribes on this subject over the years, a school like ESL should never be able to succeed (low enrollment/high f/r/l program) given those two factors. 

No need to announce your presence as the smartest guy in the room, just hit submit reply.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’m not comparing districts smartass. But you knew that. I made the comparison between East St Louis High School and Arsenal Tech, two inner-city schools with identical demographics and socio-economic status.

If you’ve followed any of Temp’s diatribes on this subject over the years, a school like ESL should never be able to succeed (low enrollment/high f/r/l program) given those two factors. 

No need to announce your presence as the smartest guy in the room, just hit submit reply.

None in Indiana DO succeed.  I’ve done the homework.

Maybe it’s a Hoosier thing but you know about all 50 states so…

42 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Just had to go with immature comment, huh?

Again. Perhaps learn something prior to a comparison with a totally independent School district than that which is a part of a much larger one, to try and make your point. 

And at No time would I ever make myself "the smartest guy on the room".     BUT perhaps the most informed.  

Edited by Yuccaguy

45 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

ESL is its OWN system... get with the program!

2 hours ago, temptation said:

None in Indiana DO succeed.  I’ve done the homework.

Maybe it’s a Hoosier thing but you know about all 50 states so…

What about Harding back when Sherwood Haydock was there?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I just checked the Missouri football roster. Not surprised to see star WR Luther Burden the 3rd's hometown listed as St. Louis. It's been pretty common lately for ESL's best football players to be from St. Louis. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Harding was around 50 percent free and reduced lunch in the early 2000's.  Good find.

Were those the Selwyn Lymon teams?

Kid was a monster.

Yes, thanks for the info. Wasn't sure where they stood rate wise. Lymon was one of the top five high school athletes I've seen come out of this city, NFL talent for sure. Not quite sure what happened when he got to Purdue. Disciplinary issues if my memory serves me correctly. 

28 minutes ago, BTF said:

Yes, thanks for the info. Wasn't sure where they stood rate wise. Lymon was one of the top five high school athletes I've seen come out of this city, NFL talent for sure. Not quite sure what happened when he got to Purdue. Disciplinary issues if my memory serves me correctly. 

I noticed his Wikipedia profile lists him as a "two sport star" and then lists basketball and football.

I watched the kid on the track...whoa.  Sub 48 400 meter runner.

20 minutes ago, temptation said:

I noticed his Wikipedia profile lists him as a "two sport star" and then lists basketball and football.

I watched the kid on the track...whoa.  Sub 48 400 meter runner.

Man among boys. Right there along side Vaughn Dunbar, Rod Smith, Jaylon Smith, and John Goodman. Best five Fort Wayne guys I've seen in person. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

Man among boys. Right there along side Vaughn Dunbar, Rod Smith, Jaylon Smith, and John Goodman. Best five Fort Wayne guys I've seen in person. 

Rod Woodson, NFL hall of fame, is the best I have seen at the high school level. Along with the 5 players you have listed, James Hardy is there with them

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Lack of work ethic and questionable off the field behavior. At one point he was shot in the eye by a bb gun. Not sure if that was at the brawl he was involved in at the pool hall that was in the Levee.

Edited by Boilernation

34 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Rod Woodson, NFL hall of fame, is the best I have seen at the high school level. Along with the 5 players you have listed, James Hardy is there with them

Never saw him play, my list was those I've seen in person on the field. Not sure I saw Hardy in person either. 

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Lack of work ethic and questionable off the field behavior. At one point he was shot in the eye by a bb gun. Not sure if that was at the brawl he was involved in at the pool hall that was in the Levee.

That's too bad, he had a million dollar NFL career written all over him. 

49 minutes ago, temptation said:

Woodson was a beast on the track as well.

Woodson is the best ever high school football player out of Indiana. Great track athlete, ran an Olympic time 100 meter dash when he competed in track at Purdue. Fastest dude I have seen in the football field. Also, when at Snider, he played basketball and was a pretty good basketball. Dude had a nasty vertical and was able to get well above the rim. Freakish athlete. Yep, I am old…

Edited by Komets2727