• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
FooBird

Why isn't Johnny QB getting any college offers?

I gave all my incoming parents ( for the last several years) a multiple page packet every year at our spring meeting breaking down the reality (much like above) and explaining what should be occurring in and out of the season if getting a scholarship was a goal.  It's an important part of the HC's job to educate and be honest about the process.  Explain the role of the coach, the player, and the parent in the process long before a single down of varsity football is played.   Saves tons of time and energy on the back end.  

I have zero idea of what the comparison might show, but I would be very interested in seeing some similar statistical comparison for full and partial academic scholarships (recognizing that the football players are a subset of the group being analyzed).  

I wonder, for those parents whose ultimate goal is money to pay for a college education for their kid, how many would be better off spending money on SAT prep classes or music lessons and band camp, as opposed to off-season football stuff. 

• Upvote 2

I have zero idea of what the comparison might show, but I would be very interested in seeing some similar statistical comparison for full and partial academic scholarships (recognizing that the football players are a subset of the group being analyzed).  

I wonder, for those parents whose ultimate goal is money to pay for a college education for their kid, how many would be better off spending money on SAT prep classes or music lessons and band camp, as opposed to off-season football stuff.

Anecdotally, it has always appeared to me that they would be a LOT better off.

I preach to my players, if you want to play at the next level, the #1 thing you need to do is have good grades. College coaches are looking for kids who can make thru fours years of school, and any academic money you can get means less athletic money they have to spend......very attractive.

I played all four years at the D3 level.  One of my better memories was starting camp with 150+ "players" and then losing approximately 10% per day.  Those who snuck out without saying anything to the coaches (cowardly, IMHO) and disappearing in the evening were dubbed Nightflyers.  Often, these individuals would never show up for classes.

College football, at any level, is a tough choice.  Many graduating seniors just aren't capable of putting forth the effort to continue playing.  Honestly, not a practice went by where I didn't ask myself "What am I doing?"  However, I've come to realize that mindset meant we were practicing hard.

BTW, I did have an academic scholarship.

• Upvote 5

When Rudy played at Notre Dame, it was a different time. The number of athletic grants and roster spots were not regulated as they are now. Rudy doesn't fit in this discussion. He wouldn't have been on ND's 105 man fall roster today.

Why this thread get in the way of your job hunt?

In your effort to take a stab at him, you make yourself look bad. Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. How would asking about a parent forum connect to looking for another job???? If you have an axe to grind with someone take it up with him in person instead of an internet forum.

In your effort to take a stab at him, you make yourself look bad. Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. How would asking about a parent forum connect to looking for another job???? If you have an axe to grind with someone take it up with him in person instead of an internet forum.

Function before form.

In response to questions like "what are the odds for an offensive lineman?"

Here's a little more data on this topic... this time, real world stats rather than hypothetical guesses. A trip to the link below will show you a list of the college commits from the State of Indiana out of the 2014 graduating class. 

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/Commits?RecruitState=IN

There were 46 commits among graduating football athletes from the state of Indiana in 2014.

This includes all of the athletes accepting a scholarship at Division 1 and Division 2 schools.

It doesn't include Division 3 because there are no football scholarships at that level.

It also doesn't include the many kids that join teams as (normal) walk ons, preferred walk ons, gray shirts, etc.

You can click on the "position" breakdown and see that this Indiana commit list was comprised of:

Quarterback (6)

Running Back (1)
Receiver (11)
Offensive Line (7)
Defensive Line (6)
Linebacker (4)
Defensive Back (7)
Athlete (4)
Kicker (0)
Punter (0)
Long Snapper (0)

Total # of commits (46)

In 2013, the list of college commits broke down like this:

Quarterback (1)
Running Back (2)
Receiver (8)
Offensive Line (7)
Defensive Line (10)
Linebacker (8)
Defensive Back (5)
Athlete (1)
Kicker (1)
Punter (0)
Long Snapper (2)
Total number of commits (45)

The class of 2015 is still in progress, but so far there are 41 commits.
Edited by FooBird

The class of 2015 is still in progress, but so far there are 41 commits.

interesting....not a complete listing...Max Norris CG RB committed to Western Illinois Aug 2014

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=744646098914298&id=609407425771500

interesting....not a complete listing...Max Norris CG RB committed to Western Illinois Aug 2014

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=744646098914298&id=609407425771500

The provided link indicates that Max Norris "verbally commited". A verbal commit is not the same as a signed letter of intent and isn't counted as such in the 247sports site.

Here's a relevant section from from the Wikipedia article on "National Letter of Intent"

NLIs and the recruiting process

National Letters of Intent may only be signed by prospective student-athletes who will be entering a four-year institution for the first time in the academic year after they sign the NLI. Recruits who have signed NLIs must attend the schools they have signed with in order to receive financial aid, and NCAA rules forbid coaches from recruiting them further; these restrictions aim to add certainty to the recruiting process for players (who are certain to receive aid) and coaches (who are certain that a recruit will attend their school). By contrast, verbal commitments are nonbinding; recruits may change or revoke a verbal commitment at any time, and coaches may continue to recruit a verbally committed player.

Although the Wikipedia article doesn't cover this, it should also be noted that verbal commitments from a coach to a player or a player to a coach are not a contract and do not have to be honored by the athletic department.

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009/07/28/what-does-a-verbal-agreement-mean-for-an-athletic-scholarship/

Max is a good athlete and I have to assume that he will receive a letter of intent to sign....

But in the spirit of this discussion thread and for the good of all in this community, I want to make this clear:

Verbal commitments are not worth the paper that they are not printed on.

Edited by FooBird

The provided link indicates that Max Norris "verbally commited". A verbal commit is not the same as a signed letter of intent and isn't counted as such in the 247sports site.

Here's a relevant section from from the Wikipedia article on "National Letter of Intent"

National Letters of Intent may only be signed by prospective student-athletes who will be entering a four-year institution for the first time in the academic year after they sign the NLI. Recruits who have signed NLIs must attend the schools they have signed with in order to receive financial aid, and NCAA rules forbid coaches from recruiting them further; these restrictions aim to add certainty to the recruiting process for players (who are certain to receive aid) and coaches (who are certain that a recruit will attend their school). By contrast, verbal commitments are nonbinding; recruits may change or revoke a verbal commitment at any time, and coaches may continue to recruit a verbally committed player.

Although the Wikipedia article doesn't cover this, it should also be noted that verbal commitments from a coach to a player or a player to a coach are not a contract and do not have to be honored by the athletic department.

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009/07/28/what-does-a-verbal-agreement-mean-for-an-athletic-scholarship/

Max is a good athlete and I have to assume that he will receive a letter of intent to sign....

But in the spirit of this discussion thread and for the good of all in this community, I want to make this clear:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but virtually no one has signed their national letter of intent yet. Signing day is the first Wednesday in February (February 4th this year). Up until that point, everyone is a verbal. I've never heard of anyone signing a National Letter of Intent prior to signing day.

Edited by 42dive
  • Upvote 1

I understand the difference in a verbal commitment vs a signed commitment.  All commits at this point are verbal.  I believe Feb 4th, 2015 is the initial signing day for football.

http://www.nationalletter.org/

I understand the difference in a verbal commitment vs a signed commitment.  All commits at this point are verbal.  I believe Feb 4th, 2015 is the initial signing day for football.

http://www.nationalletter.org/

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but virtually no one has signed their national letter of intent yet. Signing day is the first Wednesday in February (February 4th this year). Up until that point, everyone is a verbal. I've never heard of anyone signing a National Letter of Intent prior to signing day.

The list for 2015 isn't complete (or incomplete) until the letters of intent are signed.

That's why I didn't do a breakdown from the 2015 list... it's subject to change when the NLIs are sent (or not sent) and signed (or not signed).

I guess my primary point before I started ranting about verbal commits was that the total number of commits per year from Indiana (46, 45 and shaping up to be somewhere around 41+) is pretty consistent from year to year and there aren't very many kids on the list.

Edited by FooBird

On 1/5/2015 at 11:46 PM, MarshallCounty said:

How can you say the Smedley Fenderson is the best QB to ever play for the Boners.  How can you leave out the 3 Huckermyer boys from the late '40s and early '50s.  Hank, Huck, and Hack, were the true originators of "Basketball on Grass".  You better read up on your Boner Ball history before you make such a claim.

a year and a half later this post still makes me laugh. :)

• Upvote 1