Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hammond Morton at Cathedral

Just realized only 4 games left in regular season before playoffs.  This season going by much too quickly.

After Hammond on Friday - Irish play on the road at LaSalle (Cincinnati), Brebeuf, and of course Center Grove at home.  Simply put, after the game Friday the schedule gets seriously brutal (combined record of those three teams is 14-1).

Not to pick on 1-4 Hammond, but Irish need to use this game to fix issues that could make them go 0-3 in those next three games as these teams will capitalize on penalties unlike the previous teams we have played.

Irish 42

Hammond 7

Edited by Dave007

7 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Just realized only 4 games left in regular season before playoffs.  This season going by much too quickly.

After Hammond on Friday - Irish play on the road at LaSalle (Cincinnati), Brebeuf, and of course Center Grove at home.  Simply put, after the game Friday the schedule gets seriously brutal (combined record of those three teams is 14-1).

Not to pick on 1-4 Hammond, but Irish need to use this game to fix issues that could make them go 0-3 in those next three games as these teams will capitalize on penalties unlike the previous teams we have played.

Irish 42

Hammond 7

Actually that’s quite humble as I think the final score will be a lot more in the favor of the Irish.

4 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Irish 42

Hammond 7

You're being much too "Lou Holtz".  63 or more to ZERO. 

Also, does the Center Grove game count since it is being played on a

"crowned crappy grass surface"? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Game time is 7PM and not 7:30PM as listed in the John Harrell website.

The field should be fine with the all day rain in Indy today.  Hopefully  the grass field is the least worry that Morton encounters Friday night.

Not to beat a dead horse but damn, what a road trip just to get throttled.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:58 PM, gonzoron said:

From an aerial view it appears Morton has a turf field, so real grass may throw them off their game.

I also don't recall ever seeing a Union Hall on a school campus, but it looks like United Steelworkers Local 1010 hall is beside the tennis courts.

Sounds about right. Cline Avenue is just east of the HS and a major thoroughfare to get to Arcelormittal in East Chicago. There are a lot of industrial businesses / organizations lining Cline between Hammond and Gary. 

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Not to beat a dead horse but damn, what a road trip just to get throttled.

I really don't get why Morton scheduled this game. I can see adding Elkhart or Bloomington South to round up excitement for Morton following the consolidation of HS's in Hammond. But, Cathedral? That's nearly as asinine as Warren Central scheduling Bishop Sycamore.

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I really don't get why Morton scheduled this game. I can see adding Elkhart or Bloomington South to round up excitement for Morton following the consolidation of HS's in Hammond. But, Cathedral? That's nearly as asinine as Warren Central scheduling Bishop Sycamore.

Speaking of which (maybe deserving of its own thread and not wanting to derail this thread) but has Warren picked up anyone for week 10?

With the bye week already in place in 6A, that'd be three weeks between the last game of the regular season and the start of the sectional if I am not mistaken.

Advantage/disadvantage?

Edited by temptation

On 9/21/2021 at 7:58 PM, gonzoron said:

From an aerial view it appears Morton has a turf field, so real grass may throw them off their game.

I also don't recall ever seeing a Union Hall on a school campus, but it looks like United Steelworkers Local 1010 hall is beside the tennis courts.

Unlike high school union halls, I suspect that there might be beer served at the Steelworkers Local 1010 hall on Friday nights. Maybe that's why there are so many folks signed up for the tennis team.  😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Unlike high school union halls, I suspect that there might be beer served at the Steelworkers Local 1010 hall on Friday nights. Maybe that's why there are so many folks signed up for the tennis team.  😀

Old timers at Scecina in Indy were in a similar spot. Although it's not a union hall, Shi Kay has a path behind it to the locker rooms. Dad's gathered at Shi Kay while the kids practiced. Kids walked the path to the parking lot; opened the door, and a dad's name was called out for the trip home. 😄 I had 4 brothers who lived that experience. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Old timers at Scecina in Indy were in a similar spot. Although it's not a union hall, Shi Kay has a path behind it to the locker rooms. Dad's gathered at Shi Kay while the kids practiced. Kids walked the path to the parking lot; opened the door, and a dad's name was called out for the trip home. 😄 I had 4 brothers who lived that experience. 

Great bar.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 12:51 AM, Staxawax said:

You're being much too "Lou Holtz".  63 or more to ZERO. 

Also, does the Center Grove game count since it is being played on a

"crowned crappy grass surface"? Asking for a friend.

Judging from the past few seasons I don't think you will see Coach Peebles hit 63 points. They will likely get up by a large marigin in the first half. Empty the bench in the 2nd half with a running clock. You could see 42-56 points scored but running clock helps keep it down some. 

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Judging from the past few seasons I don't think you will see Coach Peebles hit 63 points. They will likely get up by a large marigin in the first half. Empty the bench in the 2nd half with a running clock. You could see 42-56 points scored but running clock helps keep it down some. 

The good thing about a running clock is that this old fan gets home to the recliner earlier!😉

25 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The good thing about a running clock is that this old fan gets home to the recliner earlier!😉

Orrrrrrr their favorite watering hole 🙂

Cathedral is honoring past State Champions at halftime. It will be fun to see who shows up from the 06 team. I know of a couple of the coaches. Should be a great time. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Orrrrrrr their favorite watering hole 🙂

Cathedral is honoring past State Champions at halftime. It will be fun to see who shows up from the 06 team. I know of a couple of the coaches. Should be a great time. 

I hope Coach Tap is there.  I talk to him at Church and at the gym.  I haven't seen him in awhile.  I hope to see a lot of Irish fans at Arlington tonight.

Good grief this game was a mismatch by biblical proportions.  The kicker for Hammond could not even punt it out of his own shadow, I think his longest punt was maybe 20-25 yards?  Coaches agreed at pregame if it got out of control in second quarter they will go to running clock, which they did around 8 min left in 2nd quarter.