Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A Tournament Discussion

9 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Is North Judson the team to beat in the north?  Statement game last night. 

No. 

Last night was really the perfect storm. 

The field conditions benefited North Judson greatly. North Judson doesn't have much team speed besides #40. They aren't too big up front either and they really like to run behind their center Brennen Benson with QB or their TB. A power football team where as Winamac relied this year more on speed, misdirection, pulling lineman, getting outside and throwing a little bit. The field conditions didn't allow Winamac to get any type of footing to play their style, any time a team went to the outside it was negative yardage. 

The score was 0-6 after one, 13-13 late in first half then a pick six to make it 13-20. Winamac kicked off to start 2nd half, got a stop then turned it over. North Judson's next possession on a 4th down they scored from 24 yards out. Winamac then got the ball back, turned it over late in 3rd and North Judson scored on a 22 yard seam pass and then 4 penalties in a row aided their last TD w 3 seconds to go. 5 TO's also hurt Winamac. 

It wasn't really lopsided until late 3rd and all of the 4th. 

If AC or SA play Judson on turf or a good field. Judson will struggle w their speed. 

Edited by WalterSobchak
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

No. 

The field conditions benefited North Judson greatly. North Judson doesn't have much team speed besides #40. They aren't too big up front either and they really like to run behind their center Brennen Benson with QB or their TB. A power football team where as Winamac relied this year more on speed, misdirection, pulling lineman, getting outside and throwing a little bit. The field conditions didn't allow Winamac to get any type of footing to play their style, any time a team went to the outside it was negative yardage. 

The score was 0-6 after one, 13-13 late in first half then a pick six to make it 13-20. Winamac kicked off to start 2nd half, got a stop then turned it over. North Judson's next possession on a 4th down they scored from 24 yards out. Winamac then got the ball back, turned it over late in 3rd and North Judson scored on a 22 yard seam pass and then 4 penalties in a row aided their last TD w 3 seconds to go. 5 TO's also hurt Winamac. 

It wasn't really lopsided until late 3rd and all of the 4th. 

If AC or SA play Judson on turf or a good field. Judson will struggle w their speed. 

Winamac relied on playing a weak schedule to be where they were at. They ducked Judson the first go around and opted not to play when LaVille dropped. They need to get the MWC cellar dwellers off their schedule and beef it up. I hear the class of 2028 is looking promising for them though. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

Winamac relied on playing a weak schedule to be where they were at. They ducked Judson the first go around and opted not to play when LaVille dropped. They need to get the MWC cellar dwellers off their schedule and beef it up. I hear the class of 2028 is looking promising for them though. 

One of the best 5 th grade teams ever!

• Haha 2

There weren't many, if any, outside of Winamac that thought they were the team to beat. They didn't beat any real strong teams all year. Their best win was against a depleted Pioneer team. NJ poses some threats for many teams. They hung with a tough Tippy Valley team and even was competitive for some time against a pretty good 4A CMA team. Speed isn't the only thing that teams need to win. I've seen small, slow teams win a bunch. 

As far as the field conditions, that loss is on the Winamac coaching staff. Didn't they see the forecast? Every other team in Indiana did and adjusted. 

43 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

No. 

Since Coach Lambert has taken over the helm for the Bluejays they have played Winamac 5 times.  Judson is 4-1 and has outscored the warriors 121-35.  Winamac can have all the credit in the world for beating the Jays in the Sectional Championship in 2020, but you do not get to change the narrative about last night.  Winamac turned the ball over on 4 consecutive drives.  Their last two drives of the first half and their next two drives of the second half.  What kind of turnovers were they?  Judson smashed Clark and he coughed it up.  Multiple times.  Compton had two interceptions.  One interception for a touchdown right before the half and ostensibly that was the ballgame.

Now, Is Judson in a threat in the North?  You better believe it. 

• Thanks 1

Now that my team is prepping for next year I thought I'd give a little shout out to a team who has no reps on here. 

North Central (Farmersburg)

Team has won 5 outta 6 after starting 0-4. Prior to that streak they had been 3-20 since Travis Nolting left. They have wins over Park Tudor (8-3) and Perry Central (7-3). That is a heck of a turn around. This week they play for sectional 48 title against #6/#8 Springs Valley in what appears to be a very good finals match up. I dont know much about them outside they are apparently huge. Looking forward to seeing this game in person Friday night

9 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Now that my team is prepping for next year I thought I'd give a little shout out to a team who has no reps on here. 

North Central (Farmersburg)

Team has won 5 outta 6 after starting 0-4. Prior to that streak they had been 3-20 since Travis Nolting left. They have wins over Park Tudor (8-3) and Perry Central (7-3). That is a heck of a turn around. This week they play for sectional 48 title against #6/#8 Springs Valley in what appears to be a very good finals match up. I dont know much about them outside they are apparently huge. Looking forward to seeing this game in person Friday night

Maybe all the rain knocked the dust off their field!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Duke of Denham said:

Since Coach Lambert has taken over the helm for the Bluejays they have played Winamac 5 times.  Judson is 4-1 and has outscored the warriors 121-35.  Winamac can have all the credit in the world for beating the Jays in the Sectional Championship in 2020, but you do not get to change the narrative about last night.  Winamac turned the ball over on 4 consecutive drives.  Their last two drives of the first half and their next two drives of the second half.  What kind of turnovers were they?  Judson smashed Clark and he coughed it up.  Multiple times.  Compton had two interceptions.  One interception for a touchdown right before the half and ostensibly that was the ballgame.

I am not changing the narrative about last night. It was a 1 possession game for over half the game. It was a 2 possession game for over 30 minutes of the game. It wasn't like from start to finish the game wasn't even close. It was much closer than what you are willing to say. 

Yes Winamac did turn the ball over in 4 possessions in a row but Winamac did stop them in at least one or two of those drives when NJ got the ball back. 

North Judson outgained winamac by 74 yards and had the ball twice as long. 

I'm not changing the narrative. I'm just typing out facts. The last 14 mins is when it started to be a blow out. 

Judson did hit Clark hard but the rain also had a lot to do with the fumble issues too. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

No

And yes, I know how much the NJ/Winamac scores were. Compton's sophomore year in the regular season that game was close until the final four minutes and that sectional game was tight too. 

The only total blow out was last seasons regular season match up. That wasn't close at any point. 

You know as well as I do that this years NJ team isn't close to last years team and Winamac's team was much better this year than last. It was just the perfect storm. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

30 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

You know as well as I do that this years NJ team isn't close to last years team and Winamac's team was much better this year than last. It was just the perfect storm. 

I don't know that.  I do know that Winamac and their fans are quite confident the game would have been different if they had played on a better surface.  I like this idea that Winamac had all these fast kids and Judson kids were slow or something.  I don't know what game you were watching, but one team was very aggressive and flying around on defense and the other team was just getting perpetually bulldozed.  It was a perfect storm for Judson.  A whirlwind tsunami that blasted its way through Pulaski County and into the psyche of every Warrior fan for generations to come.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Duke of Denham said:

I don't know that.  I do know that Winamac and their fans are quite confident the game would have been different if they had played on a better surface.  I like this idea that Winamac had all these fast kids and Judson kids were slow or something.  I don't know what game you were watching, but one team was very aggressive and flying around on defense and the other team was just getting perpetually bulldozed.  It was a perfect storm for Judson.  A whirlwind tsunami that blasted its way through Pulaski County and into the psyche of every Warrior fan for generations to come.  

I watched the same game you did. 

It was a 1 possession game or tied for over a half. It was a 2 possession game for over 30 minutes. Winamac was outgained by 74 yards and North Judson had the ball for twice as long as Winamac did. Some of it was the Jays forced Winamac on turnover on downs or to punt and some of the extra plays were aided by the ball popping out and bouncing Judson's way. They fumbled it a few times too but most of the time it had a Judson bounce. 

Winamac had multiple defensive stops. Judson did too. The field conditions hurt Winamac more than North Judson, I know you aren't willing to say that and that's fine. A team that has overall more speed is gonna be slowed down quite a bit in the mud and rain...when a team that relies on power football. It plays into their hands. 

BTW. Its not only Winamac fans that think Judson is slow or something. I work with a few Judson folks and the ones that follow NJ believe last years team drills this years Judson's team and its much slower. 

7 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

The field conditions hurt Winamac more than North Judson, I know you aren't willing to say that and that's fine. A team that has overall more speed is gonna be slowed down quite a bit in the mud and rain...when a team that relies on power football. It plays into their hands. 

Cognitive dissonance is real.  I'll tell you a secret "Walter".....we wore cleats instead of sneakers.  It seemed to help us with our footing out there on Friday.  I am curious why did they run the sprinklers all week?  Someone should be held accountable for costing your team the big game.    

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

If I’m SA I’ve got the sprinklers on my field right now and won’t turn them off for 2 weeks.  Right before AC shows up for regional.

AC just wants to beat Triton first. One week at a time.

3 hours ago, Basementbias said:

AC just wants to beat Triton first. One week at a time.

Are u seriously worries about getting beat by Triton?  Cmon man 77 vs 32.  Everything is set up for AC this year …including a 1A classification.  I’m going to say it.   If AC does not get to state it will be a disappointing season.  Similar to SA expectations last year …. SA delivered… same is expected from AC.  The ONLY thing in the way is 6” of mud in Berne in 2 weeks.

11 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Are u seriously worries about getting beat by Triton?  Cmon man 77 vs 32.  Everything is set up for AC this year …including a 1A classification.  I’m going to say it.   If AC does not get to state it will be a disappointing season.  Similar to SA expectations last year …. SA delivered… same is expected from AC.  The ONLY thing in the way is 6” of mud in Berne in 2 weeks.

2015 I saw an AC team lose a week before they should. 2016 almost lost 2 weeks before they should have (luckily they got to SS). 2017 saw Southwood not just upset but dominate them. 2018 & 2019 did what they were supposed. 2020 they lost a week before they should as well. I want this team to get to LOS, but I just listed why I want to take it one week at a time.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:37 AM, Duke of Denham said:

Cognitive dissonance is real.  I'll tell you a secret "Walter".....we wore cleats instead of sneakers.  It seemed to help us with our footing out there on Friday.  I am curious why did they run the sprinklers all week?  Someone should be held accountable for costing your team the big game.    

They didn't run the sprinklers there at all last week. They hadn't been on in a week or two before that. 

I think the Triton game may have been a victims of that+ all the rain our area had that week. The field was in poo condition as you saw it yourself, there was a reason why Winamac called Logansport last week. The field never recovered from that game and the rain last week made it even worse. 

2 hours ago, Basementbias said:

2015 I saw an AC team lose a week before they should. 2016 almost lost 2 weeks before they should have (luckily they got to SS). 2017 saw Southwood not just upset but dominate them. 2018 & 2019 did what they were supposed. 2020 they lost a week before they should as well. I want this team to get to LOS, but I just listed why I want to take it one week at a time.

I agree with the "one week at a time" approach. It would be easy to look ahead to a likely regional matchup at South Adams. If that happens, I still think AC advances but they need to continue getting better each week and that won't happen if they don't focus on this week's opponent.

Side note - the 2017 loss to Southwood wasn't an upset. SW had the better roster by far. Blair, Trexler and Lloyd were studs. I do agree that 2020 against SW was a letdown. Those teams were more evenly matched than in 17.