Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Eyeblack on football players

oldtimeqb

Question

Would these players be allowed to compete in football with their eye black? 

I know the answer is "in the rule book."

But I still have to wonder why football officials make it a point to inspect players pre-game, sometimes even sending them back into the locker room to wash their faces during warmups.  Knee pad enforcement - no problems.  That clearly is a safety issue and players should be legally equipped.

As my social media feeds are filling up with spring softball and baseball photos, I can't help but notice the face paint, I mean eye black, on the players.  I have seen some photos of players with crosses and even hearts under each eye.  

I am trying to find a reason other than "it's in the rule book" why these players from last year's STATE FINAL are allowed to participate with their eye black but would be sent to wash up if they were playing football.

IHSAA baseball state finals: Jasper wins Class 4A title over FishersIHSAA baseball state finals: Jasper wins Class 4A title over Fishers

7 answers to this question

5 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Would these players be allowed to compete in football with their eye black? 

I know the answer is "in the rule book."

But I still have to wonder why football officials make it a point to inspect players pre-game, sometimes even sending them back into the locker room to wash their faces during warmups.  Knee pad enforcement - no problems.  That clearly is a safety issue and players should be legally equipped.

As my social media feeds are filling up with spring softball and baseball photos, I can't help but notice the face paint, I mean eye black, on the players.  I have seen some photos of players with crosses and even hearts under each eye.  

I am trying to find a reason other than "it's in the rule book" why these players from last year's STATE FINAL are allowed to participate with their eye black but would be sent to wash up if they were playing football.

IHSAA baseball state finals: Jasper wins Class 4A title over FishersIHSAA baseball state finals: Jasper wins Class 4A title over Fishers

Ask the National Federation. They put it in the rule book. Or ask the IHSAA. They’re the ones that direct us to enforce the rule.

The rule had its origins back when people were wearing black strips under their eyes with messages on them (Tim Tebow), or used the eyeblack to paint symbols or signs on their faces. No doubt some of these were unsportsmanlike references to the opponent. So, the rule was created to standardize the use of eyeblack to its original purpose: to avoid light reflecting off the cheekbones which can affect vision. The rule as written allows that. 

As to why it is enforced more strictly in football, I can’t answer that. To be honest, I don’t even know what the baseball rule says.

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

Ask the National Federation. They put it in the rule book. Or ask the IHSAA. They’re the ones that direct us to enforce the rule.

The rule had its origins back when people were wearing black strips under their eyes with messages on them (Tim Tebow), or used the eyeblack to paint symbols or signs on their faces. No doubt some of these were unsportsmanlike references to the opponent. So, the rule was created to standardize the use of eyeblack to its original purpose: to avoid light reflecting off the cheekbones which can affect vision. The rule as written allows that. 

As to why it is enforced more strictly in football, I can’t answer that. To be honest, I don’t even know what the baseball rule says.

Don't forget Reggie Bush.

10 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

In our SB rules meeting at least regarding coaches apparel we were told “officials are not the fashion police.”  Apparently as more and more female coaches have opted for yoga pants some officials have taken exception. I assure it was never me. 

Yoga pants are now outlawed. I saw baseball had a directive from the state that only one line of eye black should be allowed similar to football. That was sent out last from the baseball commissioner. Softball did not get that mandate

Much easier to say nothing is allowed than to try to legislate what comments are OK and which aren't and what paint style is OK and which aren't. I would be fine if they got rid of the rule, but I get why they took this approach. Pretty easy to comply.