Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

PAC 2021

38 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

So what happened? Some fan bad mouth talking to some players after the game?

Head coach stopped #63 and said that he was a good player and didn’t have to play dirty. 

Head coach may want to slow mow the high light real that GS put on last night and watch his MTV D-end with Flagrant “head shots”.  Home Team Friday has a great clip of it happening. 

Last I checked, football was a contact sport. Anything goes within the rules. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GS Titan 78 said:

What was up with all the holding calls against GS?  We’re they legit?  Seemed like we had more last night in one game than we had total in the previous 6 games.  Am I biased or is my observation legit?  

We did have a lot more. Coach in first picture spent a good majority of the first quarter chewing on the officials. 

1st quarter after score was 14-0. Coach chewed that officials ear off. Then the holding calls start. 

The ineligible player down field call was another horrible call. Ball thrown behind the line of scrimmage. The middle judge is the one that threw the flag. 

pretty sure he can’t even see it to call it!

2 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

The middle judge is the one that threw the flag. 

pretty sure he can’t even see it to call it!

I presume you mean the umpire, who lines up behind the linebackers. The umpire has primary responsibility for calling ineligibles downfield.

7 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Coach in first picture spent a good majority of the first quarter chewing on the officials. 

1st quarter after score was 14-0. Coach chewed that officials ear off.

That’s something to be proud of. A lot of coaches spend their time actually coaching.

• Like 1

I believe I seen some noise on Twitter about ineligible receivers down field last week so I’m sure there were some bulletin points for the refs 

Gibson Southern running a ton of RPO and bootlegs probably doesn’t help because the OL has to be much more disciplined to execute those plays without drawing a penalty….you’re going to get holding calls on plays where the QB moves outside of the pocket frequently….and you’re going to get the ineligible man downfield if you run the RPO a lot.

the refs are probably keyed in on these things coming into the game…and really you have to be. If you know the RPO is going to be there you have to be aware of how far the OL can move before the ball is thrown 

refs get an earful from almost every coach and I doubt MTVs coach had much to do with the penalties.  GS players probably played a little more sloppy in some instances and got called for it….practice hard clean it up and move on 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I presume you mean the umpire, who lines up behind the linebackers. The umpire has primary responsibility for calling ineligibles downfield.

I know, I know... difficult or impossible to make a call on a static photo, BUT for the sake of argument, we'll be hypothetical...

The LOS is the B 23 yard line, approximated by the yellow line, and the receiver in question is circled.  The receiver took three steps toward A's end zone on his initial stem, planted, and worked back to the LOS, establishing himself with both feet behind the LOS while working toward the center of the field.  He jumped to catch it in the air, landing with his right back foot on the 24 and simultaneously driving toward the A end zone with his left foot.  The ball does not cross the neutral zone in flight before being caught by the receiver. 

At that point the LJ, upon seeing the ball released by the Q, had already turned to observe the two inside receivers preparing to engage with the DBs.  At the same time, seeing the linemen cross his face, the U threw the flag when the receiver came down with the ball.

The officials did confer, extensively, and I would assume that the LJ would not have been able to counter the U's decision to throw the flag, having not actually seen whether the ball crossed the neutral zone in flight.  You can't flag something you don't see (or in this case, overturn a flag), and I get that.

So having said all of that in this hypothetical, what would the proper mechanics of the LJ be when he recognized the play was a screen pass?  Verify ball location in flight when caught by the receiver, or work himself and his eyes downfield to the blocking receivers?

Screen.jpg

10 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I believe I seen some noise on Twitter about ineligible receivers down field last week so I’m sure there were some bulletin points for the refs 

Gibson Southern running a ton of RPO and bootlegs probably doesn’t help because the OL has to be much more disciplined to execute those plays without drawing a penalty….you’re going to get holding calls on plays where the QB moves outside of the pocket frequently….and you’re going to get the ineligible man downfield if you run the RPO a lot.

the refs are probably keyed in on these things coming into the game…and really you have to be. If you know the RPO is going to be there you have to be aware of how far the OL can move before the ball is thrown 

refs get an earful from almost every coach and I doubt MTVs coach had much to do with the penalties.  GS players probably played a little more sloppy in some instances and got called for it….practice hard clean it up and move on 

Ineligible receiver downfield is a Point of Emphasis this year.

6 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

So having said all of that in this hypothetical, what would the proper mechanics of the LJ be when he recognized the play was a screen pass?  Verify ball location in flight when caught by the receiver, or work himself and his eyes downfield to the blocking receivers?

In order to give a complete description of the line judge’s mechanics on the play, I’d like to see the offensive formation at the snap. That will tell me the strength of the formation which, in turn, determines the line judge’s initial key. We can start there.

Edited by Bobref

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

In order to give a complete description of the line judge’s mechanics on the play, I’d like to see the offensive formation at the snap. That will tell me the strength of the formation which, in turn, determine’s the line judge’s initial key. We can start there.

Excellent point.  The snap is imminent in the screenshot below (no motions or resetting by the offense). 

Screen2.jpg

Here’s the deal guys- and you GS posters may not want to hear it- but this “superteam” you’ve built is not being perceived very well around the area. 

Of course it’s an exciting year for you all, but the way things have transpired and the “new additions” to the team have left a lot of discontent around the area and in the conference. 

The IHSAA signed off and everything is on the “up/up” as far as that is concerned- BUT, the addition of 3 SENIORS to an already loaded senior class is going to draw the ire of competitive people and give the impression of a “stacked deck”

Right or wrong- that is what the narrative is out there and might be the explanation of tempers being heated. 

20 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

Excellent point.  The snap is imminent in the screenshot below (no motions or resetting by the offense). 

Screen2.jpg

OK, so the formation is strong to the L’s side, with trips. That means L’s initial key is the 3rd wide receiver, while the back judge has the two widest on the strong side. But no one is in press coverage, so after his first read, L’s mechanic is to stay on the LOS and read the play. As the receivers on his side moved downfield, he would float to approximately linebacker depth. However, if he read “screen” right away, he’d stay right on the LOS. He should definitely be part of the conversation regarding the Umpire’s flag. That’s one that’s easy to pick up if, after discussion, you decide the ball didn’t cross the neutral zone. That’s not a call you want to nitpick, so the ball should be clearly beyond the NZ before calling the foul. The umpire doesn’t know, so he was right to throw the flag. One of the wing officials has to help there.

• Thanks 2

is this what you tell yourself as a grown man when you want to trash talk a teenager but can’t find a reason for it?

53 minutes ago, jets said:

Here’s the deal guys- and you GS posters may not want to hear it- but this “superteam” you’ve built is not being perceived very well around the area. 

Of course it’s an exciting year for you all, but the way things have transpired and the “new additions” to the team have left a lot of discontent around the area and in the conference. 

The IHSAA signed off and everything is on the “up/up” as far as that is concerned- BUT, the addition of 3 SENIORS to an already loaded senior class is going to draw the ire of competitive people and give the impression of a “stacked deck”

Right or wrong- that is what the narrative is out there and might be the explanation of tempers being heated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

Haha this is funny. I’ve watched these kids for 12 years work their butts off for this moment. So if this is the best trash you got…..bring it. Let’s leave the “super teams” in the NFL & NBA and let these kids enjoy their last year of high school. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

I guess the problem I have with this post, you say the “super team” you’ve built!

That implies a lot. 

1 hour ago, jets said:

My last comment on this:  Our JV would have beat your "competitive" buddy and his former SS Rebel assistant Friday night (even with the EZ view film he was provided).  If he wants to worry about something he needs to worry about he fact he had 10 men on the field no less than 5 times Friday night.  I would start there.  And please just stop with the super team crap.  I guess we have 4 "super teams":

Gibson Southern 7th grade 42 Southridge 0

Gibson Southern 8th grade 40 Southridge 13 

Gibson Southern Freshmen 6 Southridge 16

Gibson Southern JV 54 Southridge 7

Gibson Southern Varsity 63 Southridge 9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

My last comment on this:  Our JV would have beat your "competitive" buddy and his former SS Rebel assistant Friday night (even with the EZ view film he was provided).  If he wants to worry about something he needs to worry about he fact he had 10 men on the field no less than 5 times Friday night.  I would start there.  And please just stop with the super team crap.  I guess we have 4 "super teams":

Woooo that hurt.  Bam  lol

5 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Mic Drop!

29 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I don’t know the film situation or even who is working on who’s staff. I don’t know the situation from last night either- so I probably shouldn’t have commented. An adult should be an adult, no question there.

Thank you for posting the scores- GS is a juggernaut no doubt and clearly we can’t compete with their program- but that doesn’t discount the facts of 3 new SENIOR additions to an already loaded squad. 

And whether you care to admit it or not- that causes others in the conference to just “throw their hands up” in kind of a disbelief sort of way. 

1 minute ago, jets said:

I don’t know the film situation or even who is working on who’s staff. I don’t know the situation from last night either- so I probably shouldn’t have commented. An adult should be an adult, no question there.

Thank you for posting the scores- GS is a juggernaut no doubt and clearly we can’t compete with their program- but that doesn’t discount the facts of 3 new SENIOR additions to an already loaded squad. 

And whether you care to admit it or not- that causes others in the conference to just “throw their hands up” in kind of a disbelief sort of way. 

Would get tiresome with one's hands up in the air all the time if they coached in the SIAC.

I imagine other team fan bases reacted similarly to Heritage Hills in the early 2000s.  

this is just high school football….shoot it’s football in general.

you have a good program become a great program….that program has everything come together for a short period of time.  Everyone overreacts and say it’s not fair and finds whatever reason they can

it comes and goes….I mean…you don’t even have to look further than PAC to find Heritage Hills dominating for like the last 40 years and those early 2000s teams were winning like 96-3 in a few games 

also GS has lost a game…lost one pretty badly actually….so they’re not invincible.  Still gotta show up every week and win

shoot there’s probably more pressure this week….A loss to princeton with how good this team is would be embarrassing…and it’s a conference game now 

4 hours ago, jets said:

Now you’re starting to piss me off.  Sorry but this team was built from 1st grade on.  This senior group met EVERY Sunday year around at 4 pm at GS weightroom starting in 4th grade all the way until their freshman year.  They won Castle as 4th and 5th graders.  Beat North’s 6th grade as 5th graders.  Won Titan Clash as 6th graders.  Went undefeated in middle school.  Most were running clocks in 2nd half.  Lost only 1 game of 6 games in 2 years of going to Knoxville TN tournament.  We beat your Southridge team as 7th graders by scoring on each of our first 7 plays.  7 plays …7 TDs. I’ve been with this group since 1st grade, every Sunday in the weightroom, coaching each travel game and middle school game.  I know how much work they’ve put in waiting for this year.  We have lost at least 5 contributors in this class since they’ve started their freshman year.  Sorry but without any new kids, every game in the PAC this year would have been a running clock.  I don’t believe Southridge would have turned kids down if they bought houses and moved into their district.  I know Memorial, Central, HH, and North don’t. This is a very tight senior group.  I think you’ll see that as the football season continues, into basketball, and then baseball.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, jets said:

Just now, The Ghost said:

Maybe all the GS haters should worry about improving on their programs, instead of worrying and bad mouthing what GS is doing

• Like 2
  • Haha 2