Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 NFHS Rule Changes Announced

The NFHS announced the rule changes passed at last month's meeting in Indy. What are your thoughts on these changes?

• Intentional grounding not a foul if passer is outside the pocket and pass is beyond the line of scrimmage
  • High-low (chop block) now requires the low block to only be below the waist rather than the knee (did anyone think was the rule already?)
  • Player may now wear the number 0 (00 and 03 isn't legal)
  • IHSAA can make the team box go beyond the 25
  • Penalty does not need to be accepted for offended team to start the game clock on the snap under 2 minutes in each half
  • 40-second play clock used after foul by the defense
  • Any official can request a new ball (previously on the referee - another one I didn't realize)

https://nfhs.org/articles/revised-intentional-grounding-chop-block-rules-headline-2022-high-school-football-rules-changes/?fbclid=IwAR3Br9r3hQFNfo-9iucxy83utpXx2hf5f2rAuihi9m8td0FW9hUB1K-3dI8

Edited by JustRules
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Intentional grounding not a foul if passer is outside the pocket and pass is beyond the line of scrimmage

We are going to have to think carefully about a 5-man mechanic to address this, as there are many situations on pass plays currently where the wing officials do not hold the line of scrimmage. Rather, they move downfield to assist in pass coverage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

We are going to have to think carefully about a 5-man mechanic to address this, as there are many situations on pass plays currently where the wing officials do not hold the line of scrimmage. Rather, they move downfield to assist in pass coverage.

All without the help of replay. 
Should be fun. 

12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t suppose the NF also added something to the Manual to address this?

18 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Would it be practical to treat like a punt that goes out of bounds?  Where the R holds his point while the wing returns down the sideline with an arm extended upright? 

That may not be ideal however, because the R wants to make sure there is no roughing on the QB who is under duress. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Would it be practical to treat like a punt that goes out of bounds?  Where the R holds his point while the wing returns down the sideline with an arm extended upright? 

That may not be ideal however, because the R wants to make sure there is no roughing on the QB who is under duress. 

Not a good idea to divert R’s attention from the passer.  Keep in mind, there can be no roughing the passer if there is intentional grounding.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

7 man crews or how wings cover pass plays or possibly both?  Or something completely different?

3 hours ago, JustRules said:

The NFHS announced the rule changes passed at last month's meeting in Indy. What are your thoughts on these changes?

• Intentional grounding not a foul if passer is outside the pocket and pass is beyond the line of scrimmage
  • High-low (chop block) now requires the low block to only be below the waist rather than the knee (did anyone think was the rule already?)
  • Player may now wear the number 0 (00 and 03 isn't legal)
  • IHSAA can make the team box go beyond the 25
  • Penalty does not need to be accepted for offended team to start the game clock on the snap under 2 minutes in each half
  • 40-second play clock used after foul by the defense
  • Any official can request a new ball (previously on the referee - another one I didn't realize)

https://nfhs.org/articles/revised-intentional-grounding-chop-block-rules-headline-2022-high-school-football-rules-changes/?fbclid=IwAR3Br9r3hQFNfo-9iucxy83utpXx2hf5f2rAuihi9m8td0FW9hUB1K-3dI8

I admit I did.  I thought they had changed that many years ago.

52 minutes ago, Huge Football Fan said:

I would think it would be the U that determines if the ball went past the LOS they should already be there and be in position to see it

On a pass between the hash marks, I agree. But a throw well out of bounds would be a difficult call, and sell, by the U.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

On a pass between the hash marks, I agree. But a throw well out of bounds would be a difficult call, and sell, by the U.

Actually a very easy call for the U. It's not where the pass crosses the sideline, it's where it lands or would have landed.

As for the wings, they should not be in a huge hurry to move downfield unless a pass is thrown deep. And if a pass is thrown deep obviously it will have crossed the LOS. They'll usually have a good idea of the relation to the LOS.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foxbat said:

I admit I did.  I thought they had changed that many years ago.

What changed several years ago was removing the requirement one of the blocks needed to be delayed. A simultaneous high/low block was legal. The low block was defined as the knee or below which always seemed odd.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JustRules said:

As for the wings, they should not be in a huge hurry to move downfield unless a pass is thrown deep. And if a pass is thrown deep obviously it will have crossed the LOS. They'll usually have a good idea of the relation to the LOS.

The current mechanic calls for the wings to hold the LOS on a pass play until a receiver on their side has gone about 10 yds. downfield. Then they are to drift downfield. How far depends on the depth of the receiver(s) on their side. My concern is that many of the throwaways occur on scramble plays, after the pattern is fully developed and the wings have moved downfield.

3 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

They need to add a 6th official to Friday Night football now. The game is evolving to where 5 is not enough to cover the field. Time for the addition!

I agree. Now, go out and find about another 100+ varsity-qualified officials.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

The current mechanic calls for the wings to hold the LOS on a pass play until a receiver on their side has gone about 10 yds. downfield. Then they are to drift downfield. How far depends on the depth of the receiver(s) on their side. My concern is that many of the throwaways occur on scramble plays, after the pattern is fully developed and the wings have moved downfield.

If the mechanic doesn't have the wing move back behind the passer if he scrambles that way he's prone to get run over if the play ends up on the sideline. If the mechanic doesn't account for that I see a place where I can make a recommendation. There are not many passes thrown that far downfield in a HS game. I would also argue that if their key goes that far downfield there is likely another receiver who stayed in short on their side. The wing should switch with the BJ on their keys as the routes develop. I would propose wing officials to not drift more than 5 yards on most plays and be ready to retreat if a passer rolls to their sideline.

I'll review the manual and submit a recommendation.

Not a rule change, but potentially significant. This article, published today by the National Federation, reveals that “Sportsmanship” is the No. 1 Point of Emphasis in all sports this year. https://www.nfhs.org/articles/regarding-sportsmanship-it-s-time-for-wake-up-call-in-high-school-sports/ 

For us, this potentially translates into lower tolerance for trash talking, celebrations, taunting, and sideline violations. Can’t tell for sure, because we haven’t yet got specific instruction in how the POE is to be implemented. That probably won’t come until the clinics this June. Although, it’s possible someone might have that information a bit earlier. 😉

• Like 4