Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Hoosier North Athletic Conference Thread (HNAC)

LaVille looked sharp on both sides of the ball.  Not sure what Prairie Heights is supposed to have but the only thing they had to cheer about was ending the scrimmage!!  I will venture to say that no one comes within 3 TD’s of the Lancers in the reg season.   Barring injuries, they met Andrean undefeated in the sectional.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cpg1970 said:

LaVille looked sharp on both sides of the ball.  Not sure what Prairie Heights is supposed to have but the only thing they had to cheer about was ending the scrimmage!!  I will venture to say that no one comes within 3 TD’s of the Lancers in the reg season.   Barring injuries, they met Andrean undefeated in the sectional.

PH is one of the worst programs in the state. They haven't had a winning season since before 1994, which is as far back as John Harrell's site goes. They also haven't even had a .500 season since 2007. They were 4-7 last season, which was their best record since 2013. I wouldn't start making predictions based solely on a scrimmage against a struggling program.

Does anyone know if the large Amish population in that area has effected the PH program?

54 minutes ago, AG said:

PH is one of the worst programs in the state. They haven't had a winning season since before 1994, which is as far back as John Harrell's site goes. They also haven't even had a .500 season since 2007. They were 4-7 last season, which was their best record since 2013. I wouldn't start making predictions based solely on a scrimmage against a struggling program.

Does anyone know if the large Amish population in that area has effected the PH program?

Yeah, your right, I will say 2 TD’s.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cpg1970 said:

Yeah, your right, I will say 2 TD’s.

So if you look at LaVille's schedule, based on both teams playing healthy each week of the regular season, who do you see as LaVille's top four opponents? 

Just curious  what your thoughts are.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

4 hours ago, AG said:

So if you look at Pioneer's schedule, based on both teams playing healthy each week of the regular season, who do you see as Pioneer's top four opponents? 

from_the_sidelines007

I thought Pioneer looked pretty good last night. In fact, watching it I thought they might be getting dismissed a bit prematurely.  They are very young but there is talent.  Still think Laville and NJ probably the favs, but would not surprise me one bit to see Pioneer on top ……again🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, RingLeader said:

I thought Pioneer looked pretty good last night. In fact, watching it I thought they might be getting dismissed a bit prematurely.  They are very young but there is talent.  Still think Laville and NJ probably the favs, but would not surprise me one bit to see Pioneer on top ……again🤷‍♂️

Well, if you are on the same bandwagon as AG, then one could suggest that Northernwestern is not the strongest competition to gauge the season on.  Northwestern did not win a game last season and has won six games in the last five years.

I'm not dismissing Pioneer as one of the best teams in the conference.  In fact, I see Pioneer as a threat again to win this conference.  This season could be very interesting each week of the season among conference teams/games.

I'm sure the LaVille coaching staff and Pioneer coaching staff found positives that their respective teams had, along with ittems that their teams need to improve on following the scrimmage Friday.

I would imagine the most positive thing that came away from scrimmages Friday night would be teams coming away healthy.  As we all know injuries play a key role every season.  Especially if teams face depth issues!

from_the_sidelines007

39 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

So if you look at LaVille's schedule, based on both teams playing healthy each week of the regular season, who do you see as LaVille's top four opponents? 

from_the_sidelines007

So if you look at Pioneer's schedule, based on both teams playing healthy each week of the regular season, who do you see as Pioneer's top four opponents? 

from_the_sidelines007

In no particular order, for Pioneer I will go with LaVille, NJ, Cass, and either Triton or 5A Hammond Central. Cass has struggled W-L wise lately, but they do play a tough schedule and are very well coached. HC isn't any good, but I can't pick a decent 1A team in Triton over a bad 5A team.

For LaVille, I'm going with Bremen, Glenn, Pioneer, and NJ.

42 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Well, if you are on the same bandwagon as AG, then one could suggest that Northernwestern is not the strongest competition to gauge the season on.  Northwestern did not win a game last season and has won six games in the last five years.

I'm not dismissing Pioneer as one of the best teams in the conference.  In fact, I see Pioneer as a threat again to win this conference.  This season could be very interesting each week of the season among conference teams/games.

I'm sure the LaVille coaching staff and Pioneer coaching staff found positives that their respective teams had, along with ittems that their teams need to improve on following the scrimmage Friday.

I would imagine the most positive thing that came away from scrimmages Friday night would be teams coming away healthy.  As we all know injuries play a key role every season.  Especially if teams face depth issues!

from_the_sidelines007

Hmm, it sounds like both teams performed very well against poor competition. It doesn't solve anything, but at least we know that Pioneer has reloaded as a program and have potential to be very good again in the future.

1 hour ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

from_the_sidelines007

from_the_sidelines007

If a team can pass, that is where my concern is.  LV’s defense statistical against the run was lights out last year.  They have 11 returners back from that defense, plus they actually have some depth this year.  They are bigger, stronger and looked to be much better conditioned.   As far as opponents, NJ will challenge them for the top spot.  I don’t think any team will be able to run against this D with much success, and definitely don’t think any team on the schedule will be able to score enough by running to beat them.  They gave up a TD a game last season, so they are going to be tough to beat.

2 hours ago, cpg1970 said:

If a team can pass, that is where my concern is.  LV’s defense statistical against the run was lights out last year.  They have 11 returners back from that defense, plus they actually have some depth this year.  They are bigger, stronger and looked to be much better conditioned.   As far as opponents, NJ will challenge them for the top spot.  I don’t think any team will be able to run against this D with much success, and definitely don’t think any team on the schedule will be able to score enough by running to beat them.  They gave up a TD a game last season, so they are going to be tough to beat.

Ok, so what I am reading indicates that the expectation is that North Judson would be LaVille's lone challenger this season.

To be honest, I find that hard to believe.  Bremen was a one score game twice, John Glenn was a one score game. Triton was a one score game in overtime and Knox was a one point game.  They split the season with Pioneer, even though they dominated the Panthers in the sectional.

Hope the team stays healthy all season so we can see how they play with higher expectations and legit chance to sweep the regular season and win a conference championship!

from_the_sidelines007

1 hour ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Ok, so what I am reading indicates that the expectation is that North Judson would be LaVille's lone challenger this season.

To be honest, I find that hard to believe.  Bremen was a one score game twice, John Glenn was a one score game. Triton was a one score game in overtime and Knox was a one point game.  They split the season with Pioneer, even though they dominated the Panthers in the sectional.

Hope the team stays healthy all season so we can see how they play with higher expectations and legit chance to sweep the regular season and win a conference championship!

from_the_sidelines007

LaVille lost 1 senior and he did not start on either side of the ball.  All 22 starters are back, they are bigger, stronger, in better shape than last year, and this this is a group who gave up an average of 6.7 points a game.  The offense is getting a boost, former John Glenn head coach Justin Bogunia is the new offensive coordinator, and Coach Hostrawser’s defense scheme is on point every game.  They also have more depth, which is something they haven’t had in the past.   Bremen lost a lot of key players, the Triton game last year was close because LV basically played with a JV roster due to covid issues.  Pioneer, Glenn and Knox both lost key players.  That is why I feel like NJ will have the best shot.  I am sticking to my prediction, undefeated going into the sectional matchup against Andrean.  So we shall see…

3 minutes ago, cpg1970 said:

LaVille lost 1 senior and he did not start on either side of the ball.  All 22 starters are back, they are bigger, stronger, in better shape than last year, and this this is a group who gave up an average of 6.7 points a game.  The offense is getting a boost, former John Glenn head coach Justin Bogunia is the new offensive coordinator, and Coach Hostrawser’s defense scheme is on point every game.  They also have more depth, which is something they haven’t had in the past.   Bremen lost a lot of key players, the Triton game last year was close because LV basically played with a JV roster due to covid issues.  Pioneer, Glenn and Knox both lost key players.  That is why I feel like NJ will have the best shot.  I am sticking to my prediction, undefeated going into the sectional matchup against Andrean.  So we shall see…

I've said it before, depth is important! I think we all agree it makes it less distracting when there is a #2 capable to step in.

Think your point of covid issue v. Triton shows us merit in the depth case as you say that LaVille had to use JV players to step in. Good for those guys that stepped up and helped the team when the team needed them.

I hope LaVille stays healthy all season so we'll see if your projection holds true!

from_the_sidelines007

1 minute ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

I've said it before, depth is important! I think we all agree it makes it less distracting when there is a #2 capable to step in.

Think your point of covid issue v. Triton shows us merit in the depth case as you say that LaVille had to use JV players to step in. Good for those guys that stepped up and helped the team when the team needed them.

I hope LaVille stays healthy all season so we'll see if your projection holds true!

from_the_sidelines007

One thing I’ve been concerned about was the fact that LV hasn’t been able to field a JV schedule for several years.  Was worried it would affect their depth, but like you mentioned, after a lot of those young kids got to play quality mins against Triton, they played some valuable time the rest of the way and into the off season, which is now paying off.  But would definitely like to see the numbers increase to get a JV team playing on a consistent basis.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, AG said:

I hate to say it, but I haven't been this intrigued by a Pioneer season in quite some time. At least this year the majority of it won't be a foregone conclusion. 

Rival HNAC fans won't be treated by any D1 prospects this season. However, The PIT has been renovated with a new set of home bleachers, as well as a press box that is actually bigger than a janitor's closet. I haven't been able to visit it up close yet, but it does look nice from SRs 16 and 35. This is great news for assistant coaches, as they won't have to sit with the fans anymore.

Until they fix the field it's lipstick on a pig.

• Haha 2

The 2022 IFCA Preseason Poll Has Been Released.

A few Hoosier North Athletic Conference teams were given some love by the football coaches association - LaVille, North Judson-San Pierre, Pioneer and Triton all received votes.

Keep it going, boys!

2A
1 Andrean (8) 84
2 Evansville Mater Dei (2) 80
3 Eastbrook 60
FW Luers 60
5 Lafayette CC 41
6 Linton-Stockton 38
7 Indpls Scecina 36
8 Eastside 32
9 Triton Central 31
10 Heritage Christian 25
Others receiving votes:
LAVILLE (23), Brownstown Central (10), Eastern (Greentown) (9), Tipton (7),
Indpls Ritter (6), Alexandria (5), Lapel (2), Lewis Cass (2), Sullivan (2),
Paoli (1), Seeger (1)

1A
1 Indpls Lutheran (10) 100
2 Adams Central 90
3 South Adams 59
4 Covenant Christian 57
5 Monroe Central 47
6 NORTH JUDSON 45
7 Park Tudor 27
8 North Decatur 26
9 South Putnam 24
10 Tri 21
Others receiving votes:
Sheridan (13), Springs Valley (11), North Daviess (10), PIONEER (9), Carroll (Flora) (8),Parke Heritage (8), Southwood (7), North Vermillion (5), TRITON (5), Providence (1)

from_the_sidelines007