• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Hard Times - What happened to these programs?

1 hour ago, bobref said:

Bishop Noll just canceled it’s game with Whiting this Friday.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-ptb-football-bishop-noll-forfeit-st-1004-20171003-story.html

This is a real tragedy for this young man to suffer such a horrific injury.  Undersized, outmanned kids playing out of position  and going both ways due to low numbers.  Should have never been allowed to happen in the first place.  It's time NOW for the IHSAA to implement Minimum Participation Standards by class.  If that number happens to be 25 for Class 1A, then teams that cannot dress 25 on game night forfeit, no questions asked.  

Suggested MPS as follows :

1A - 25

2A - 30

3A - 40

4A - 45

5A - 50

6A - 55

This should be Priority #1 on the IHSAA to do list given the steep participation declines football is experiencing in Indiana and across the country.

Edited by DrivenT

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

This is a real tragedy for this young man to suffer such a horrific injury.  Undersized, outmanned kids playing out of position  and going both ways due to low numbers.  Should have never been allowed to happen in the first place.  It's time NOW for the IHSAA to implement Minimum Participation Standards by class.  If that number happens to be 25 for Class 1A, then teams that cannot dress 25 on game night forfeit, no questions asked.  

1A - 25

2A - 30

3A - 40

4A - 45

5A - 50

6A - 55

This should be Priority #1 on the IHSAA to do list given the steep participation declines football is experiencing in Indiana and across the country.

And.......?

NFL only requires 53 i believe , the CFL only has 45.  Why hold larger schools to higher standards?

17 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

And.......?

NFL only requires 53 i believe , the CFL only has 45.  Why hold larger schools to higher standards?

Are you serious?

6 hours ago, DrivenT said:

1A - 25

2A - 30

3A - 40

4A - 45

5A - 50

6A - 55

As I asked elsewhere what "horrific" injury are you talking about?  One kid had a severe cut and another a dislocated elbow per the article.   

No doubt reason for those kids to perhaps miss a game but hardly to reconfigure the IHSAA rules.

Are you implying we need some special rules for NW Indiana?

Unless the people I know from NW Indiana have changed a bit, I don't think they would consider these thing "horrific"....perhaps "bothersome".

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 2

Perhaps you would feel differently if it was your son who suffered a dislocated elbow.  That's a nasty, painful injury, and one that will linger for a lifetime.  Dislocated joints never fully heal.  They become weak and arthritic.  Didn't need to happen.  

18 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Perhaps you would feel differently if it was your son who suffered a dislocated elbow.  That's a nasty, painful injury, and one that will linger for a lifetime.  Dislocated joints never fully heal.  They become weak and arthritic.  Didn't need to happen.  

Are you saying he dislocated his elbow because of low numbers?

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Seriously....you're really going there to defend your definition of a "horrific" injury?

My son actually did dislocate his shoulder and it got popped back in and he played the rest of the game (actually a couple of games)...I was d*mned proud of him (having found out afterwards) BUT if he had wanted to call it a day I was cool.

One of his teammates had the same injury and the next week broke the rushing yardage record in the State Championship game.

So, if a "severe cut" or "dislocated elbow" is a "horrific" injury is my hangnail now a "serious" injury?  

Adjectives actually are important words to understand.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Are you saying he dislocated his elbow because of low numbers?

It certainly likely was a mitigating factor

Note there are 430 high schools in Indiana.  Only 320 play football.  The others don't due mostly to lack of numbers, and the concern/likelihood of injury to student athletes.  

8 hours ago, DrivenT said:

According to the NHFS in September, the decrease of participants amounts to fewer than two individuals (1.8) per school, and an overall decrease of 2.5 percent.

Football remains the No. 1 participatory sport for boys at the high school level by a large margin. 

Not sure I would call that a steep decline.  

• Upvote 2

If you were to break this down using socio economic and demographic data, you would find that participation rates in affluent communities is rising, and falling significantly in low to moderate income areas.  We rarely if ever hear about numbers problems in affluent communities.  The vast majority of these issues occur in low income and/or rural areas  

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most football players in Bishop Noll's blue print of Northern Lake County will cross the border and go to Chicago's Mt. Carmel or St. Rita if they're looking for a Cathoilic school option. Especially if Andrean builds a new campus in Crown Point and makes the drive even further for Northern Lake residents to get to Andrean. 

When I read: HARD TIMES:  Couldn't help but think of Big Boss Man:  RIP:  

Big Boss Man 'Hard Times' Poster

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, DrivenT said:

1A - 25

2A - 30

3A - 40

4A - 45

5A - 50

6A - 55

Wood Memorial started the game last Friday with 13 players and finished with 11. They had to call a timeout in the second half to allow a player to take the one play off due to equipment/injury issue. The game was played with a running clock beginning mid-way through the first quarter.

3 minutes ago, faithfulfan said:

Wood Memorial started the game last Friday with 13 players and finished with 11. They had to call a timeout in the second half to allow a player to take the one play off due to equipment/injury issue. The game was played with a running clock beginning mid-way through the first quarter.

Just ridiculous.  Football is not a "club sport."  This is a disaster just waiting to happen.  I hope the IHSAA looks into this and helps this school do the right thing and pull the plug.

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Just ridiculous.  Football is not a "club sport."  This is a disaster just waiting to happen.  I hope the IHSAA looks into this and helps this school do the right thing and pull the plug.

Co op schools is a better option then shelving programs.

• Upvote 1

Also, according to a slideshow I have from a coaches clinic a couple years ago, New Pal 5A state runner up in 2015 with only 41 players on the varsity/jv roster.

Co-ops are too costly given all the extensive travel and logistics issues.  Its more cost effective and a better use of tax payer dollars to shutter these programs and reallocate funds where there is a better return on investment.

12 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Indiana High School Athletic Association
9150 Meridian Street 
P.O. Box 40650
Indianapolis, Indiana 46240

(Phone) 317-846-6601
(Fax) 317-575-4244

If you call, they'll answer the phone. What is your point in general? 

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I have several ailments that can probably be traced back to my playing days. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wouldn't change a thing. 

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Co-ops are too costly given all the extensive travel and logistics issues.  Its more cost effective and a better use of tax payer dollars to shutter these programs and reallocate funds where there is a better return on investment.

I know Illinois uses co-op football programs in rural areas.  Probably one of the reasons the state is effectively broke.

21 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Indiana High School Athletic Association
9150 Meridian Street 
P.O. Box 40650
Indianapolis, Indiana 46240

(Phone) 317-846-6601
(Fax) 317-575-4244

If you call, they'll answer the phone. What is your point in general? 

I have several ailments that can probably be traced back to my playing days. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I wouldn't change a thing. 

I prefer to use The GID as my sounding board.  It can be very effective.  

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I know Illinois uses co-op football programs in rural areas.  Probably one of the reasons the state is effectively broke.

2 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Water is wet, the sky is blue, and Muda defends DT's trolling on the GID.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Sure because so much gets accomplished here, with most of us just wasting time at work.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Water is wet, the sky is blue, and Muda defends DT's trolling on the GID.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It's a beautiful thing.  Feels like 2004-2005 again  LOL

I'm sorry that some here feel that strong and unpopular opinions equals trolling.

I guess the GID should be nothing but a place for echo chamber 'discussions' and navel gazing.

18 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sure because so much gets accomplished here, with most of us just wasting time at work.

Whad'ya talking about...I'm still at the bar.

Edited by Lysander
  • Thanks 2