• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
radiodavel

Time To Seed The IHSAA Football Pairings?

I would think seeding the sectionals would make the best sense.That way teams still stay fairly close to home, no 2-3 hour travels and then the two best teams should face each other for sectional championship. I would then think, 9 out of 10 times regional's and semi states would match up best teams. JMO

I know this might sound insane, but has anyone considered taking the top two in each class to play a state championship and the rest is a bowl season based off of conference champions and other regular season happenings.  I honestly think bowl season would be a couple weeks at the most.  The winner of each bowl game gets a trophy or reward of some sort and the regular season doesn't become meaningless anymore.  I can already see a good NIC champion vs. Duneland champion matchup.  I would say any team with 4-5 wins qualifies for these games so most teams get in.  

On 10/12/2017 at 9:38 AM, boilerfan87 said:

Yes, travel can be an issue, but many schools face this anyway. Hour and a half trips are common in the Hoosier Hills Conference, for instance. Plus, if your district was only 4 teams, you'd only have 3 opponents that were mandatory to play and odds are no more than 2 of them would require a road trip in any given year. You could schedule the rest of your games to be local opponents if you wished. 

The thing I like about forcing travel is the opportunity to play different teams. Playing the same teams every year, then being forced to see them again in the playoffs gets old. It is nice to see different teams, communities, stadiums, etc. Kentucky rotates the districts you face in the playoffs so every year is different during the playoffs. 

This sounds like a scheduling nightmare. So I assume you block certain weeks for district games across the state. In a nine week system, schools would be required to schedule 6 out of district games.  Many of those games games could change from year to year do to district realignment.  So an AD could be scrambling to put a full schedule- together every year after realignment.  Not that it wouldn’t be interesting, but this seems like a system that AD’s would despise.

2 hours ago, punttheball said:

This sounds like a scheduling nightmare. So I assume you block certain weeks for district games across the state. In a nine week system, schools would be required to schedule 6 out of district games.  Many of those games games could change from year to year do to district realignment.  So an AD could be scrambling to put a full schedule- together every year after realignment.  Not that it wouldn’t be interesting, but this seems like a system that AD’s would despise.

Not at all. Coaches actually handle the scheduling in this situation so that they can shape it to their liking. Schedule potential wins or schedule challenges if you like. Whatever your program needs. Matchups are contracted. Generally they are 2 year deals - home and home - but could be more if the teams agreed. As you said, block 3 weeks for mandated district games and the rest are up to you. I think this would be something coaches would enjoy or appreciate. 

3 hours ago, Blu93 said:

I know this might sound insane, but has anyone considered taking the top two in each class to play a state championship and the rest is a bowl season based off of conference champions and other regular season happenings.  I honestly think bowl season would be a couple weeks at the most.  The winner of each bowl game gets a trophy or reward of some sort and the regular season doesn't become meaningless anymore.  I can already see a good NIC champion vs. Duneland champion matchup.  I would say any team with 4-5 wins qualifies for these games so most teams get in.  

Naw...no one sane has considered it.

Edited by Lysander

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Naw...no one sane has considered it.

It appears to solve all of the problems that people have stated.  I find it plausible.

6 hours ago, Blu93 said:

No, to much Indy bias would make this unintersting after a season or two.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, psaboy said:

No, to much Indy bias would make this unintersting after a season or two.

The majority of them would be predetermined like NIC champ vs. Duneland champ or Indianapolis champ vs. Circle City champ.  There would be a few substitutes lined up if the first team moved up to a bigger bowl.  It encourages strength of schedule, a decent record, encourages schools to stay in conferences, and you're done in mid October instead of dragging the season into late November.  It hits all of the points addressed by the various people in this thread.  There may be a few voted ones with the threat of bias but those are minimal with predetermined matchups based on regular season happenings/circumstances.

6 hours ago, Blu93 said:

The majority of them would be predetermined like NIC champ vs. Duneland champ or Indianapolis champ vs. Circle City champ.  There would be a few substitutes lined up if the first team moved up to a bigger bowl.  It encourages strength of schedule, a decent record, encourages schools to stay in conferences, and you're done in mid October instead of dragging the season into late November.  It hits all of the points addressed by the various people in this thread.  There may be a few voted ones with the threat of bias but those are minimal with predetermined matchups based on regular season happenings/circumstances.

Just don't think it would work. How would you handle an undefeated Penn, Snider Valpo/Merrillville & Carmel. They would all want to chance in playoff set up for right to play the Indy area team from south sector. 

On 10/3/2017 at 9:13 PM, DrivenT said:

The cluster system was too exclusive.  There were 3 classes back then.  Only 2 teams from Northwest Indiana made the playoffs from each class.  6 teams total out of 40.  Understandable why coaches would be upset.

This was the points system, not the cluster system.