• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Would Center Grove consider a move to The HCC?

I think some people look at moving to the HHC as a step down.  Quite the opposite.  I would look at as a step into the future.  Marion County schools are changing.  The HHC is the future dominate conference.  Next year, no.  In the next five years.  I don't know.  Ten years from now.  Definitely.  The MIC mega schools will probably be the schools to beat for quite a while but change will happen.  So I guess Center Grove will have decisions to make, whether now or in the future.   

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DrivenT said:

CG enrollment has topped out at 2300-2400.  This fits the enrollment mold of the schools in the HCC.  If CG ever did decide to leave the MIC, they would likely continue to play Carmel in non con matchup.

The CG football program will not stay at the elite level forever.  At some point, the overwhelming numbers of the mammoth MIC schools will overwhelm CG too, as it has others in the conference.  

You may have missed the mark on your first statement.  You been to to southern White River township lately?

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2017/05/20/more_bigger_schools_coming_to_center_grove/

Wont stay elite forever? Only time will tell.  But how many feeder systems in the state are better than CG?

To be clear, I am not saying a move to the HHC is a bad thing.  Can't see it happening in the near future.

Edited by Trojan Dad

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

You may have missed the mark on your first statement.  You been to to southern White River township lately?

The numbers portray a high school that is growing from 3 to 5% in enrollment on an annual basis.  Certainly not explosive.  And on a level that will keep them in the same general range of the majority of the HCC schools, who are also experiencing growth at similar rates. 

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2017/05/20/more_bigger_schools_coming_to_center_grove/

Wont stay elite forever? Only time will tell.  But how many feeder systems in the state are better than CG?

CG may not be "elite" this year.  The team is 3-4.  Regardless of schedule, that is not an elite record.  With regards to the system, I highly doubt there is a better one in the state.

To be clear, I am not saying a move to the HHC is a bad thing.  Can't see it happening in the near future.

These things tend to happen suddenly.  Circumstances could occur within the MIC that change CGs view of conference affiliation.  It happens.  

For example.  Conference Indiana members were completely caught off guard  and very unhappy when Franklin Central announced its intentions to leave for the HCC.  Same thing happened in The Region, when original member Griffith announced in a conference meeting that it was leaving the Northwest Crossroads Conference for the Greater South Shore Conference.  BTW, Griffith is defending NCC football champ.  Interesting timing.  Point is, the vast majority of schools will do what is in their best self interests.  CG is no different.  The "Ray Skillman" fund is an example of this.  

Edited by DrivenT

What is the over / under on how many more years Coach Moore will stick around before he retires to Florida?

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

What is the over / under on how many more years Coach Moore will stick around before he retires to Florida?

And.........what if it wouldnt be Cathedral to MIC......then who?

4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Indianapolis Tech

Decatur Central? That's a quantum leap in competition from the Mid-State but you wanna talk about a school that has outgrown its conference! But if they ever wanna get past teams like Zionsville (HCC) Catherdral/Roncalli (MIC level ability schools its gotta happen) 

11 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Indianapolis Tech

Much improved all around I am guessing since the early 2000's.  My only recollection of IAT is when I coached at Lake Central.  These games were not competetive for us at all....but we were independent and needed games.  I came away LOVING their campus.

I believe their hoops team beat Lake Central in the state title game a few yeas back.....correct?

44 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Indianapolis Tech

No.

Travel from Johnson County to Hamilton County, Hendricks County, and Boone County could be atrocious on a Friday afternoon.  But travel from Johnson County to anywhere on a Friday afternoon is atrocious.  I think CG fits right in with the MIC.  BD, WC, LN, LC, Pike, NC, Carmel not sure what makes any of these schools urban.  These are all suburban schools except maybe WC which is near 16th and Post.  The only Mega schools in the MIC are WC, Carmel, and BD.  

You left out North Central, the third biggest school in the state and Pike, the 6th biggest school. 

I would think Avon is a potential member of the MIC.   I thought I heard a while back the Hamilton Southeastern school system had bought land for a third high school.  Is that correct?  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Much improved all around I am guessing since the early 2000's.  My only recollection of IAT is when I coached at Lake Central.  These games were not competetive for us at all....but we were independent and needed games.  I came away LOVING their campus.

I believe their hoops team beat Lake Central in the state title game a few yeas back.....correct?

Former IPS Superintendent Dr White put a full court press on several years back for Tech entrance into The MIC.  This was back when football players were being funneled into the Tech football magnet program from throughout the city.  Not sure if this is still happening.  Tech surely would rather play locally in The MIC than have to run all over Indiana in the NCC.  IPS continues to hemorrhage students, but the possibility remains that Tech could be a potential conference member.  This could be the ultimate coaching opportunity for a guy who is willing and up to the challenge.  Maybe a guy like Kyle Ralph.  He might be getting bored at NP due to the lack of any serious competition.

Edited by DrivenT

Tech simply won't fit outside hoops.  Football has dropped precipitously recently but even at its best (3-4 years ago) it couldn't have handled a MIC schedule.  

When you look the at Indianapolis City Championships in most of the other sports it's generally an Archdiocese school or Cathedral that is vying for them - not Tech.  Honestly, if you can't be a dominant player in most of those other sports for a City Championship it would be much worse as regards the MIC.

That leaves only one sport they would be relevant in - Hoops.  

As to New Pal's easy schedule, I get they have to play in a conference that does not offer much competition at the moment (that could change) but they have two early games out of conference.  Whiteland can be solid on any given year and is growing so that's a legit game .....but "Richmond".....seriously "Richmond"?  No excuses regarding that game. 

Posted (edited)

Are you saying its "impossible" for Tech to ever have a competitive program in The MIC?  That Tech is incapable of making the necessary investments to compete at a higher level in this conference.?  The MIC is more than just the mega schools.  The other schools have reached some very low points in the past several years.  All are improving due to coaching changes and a reemphasis on winning in the conference.  I see no reason why Tech couldn't do the same.  It might take Rutgers and Maryland a decade to become competitive in the Big Ten.  They will eventually figure it out.  They recognize the opportunity and make the necessary adjustments, modifications and structural improvements to achieve success.  Tech would do the same with an opportunity to compete in The MIC.

Edited by DrivenT

2 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

The MIC is more than just the mega schools.  

It is now that they kicked out the Terre Haute schools.

They did the Terre Haute's a favor.  That was a mercy killing.  

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

They did the Terre Haute's a favor.  That was a mercy killing.  

Agreed.

6 hours ago, DrivenT said:

At least 3 more seasons after this, I would assume. This freshman class at CG is loaded from what I hear. If earlier, then I would say 1 more which after his son graduates.

37 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

At least 3 more seasons after this, I would assume. This freshman class at CG is loaded from what I hear. If earlier, then I would say 1 more which after his son graduates.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Agreed.

Is Pat Mallory the most likely successor?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I think it goes to Chad Daniels, defensive coordinator, if he wants it. But I have no idea at all about Coach Moore retiring or anything going on on the inside so take my speculation based off that.

But if there were to be an "outside" hire, I could see it being Mallory. I also wouldn't be surprised if it is a good enough job to pull Ralph away from New Pal.

Edited by CGFan2017
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

No

11 hours ago, Racks said:

Travel from Johnson County to Hamilton County, Hendricks County, and Boone County could be atrocious on a Friday afternoon.  But travel from Johnson County to anywhere on a Friday afternoon is atrocious.  I think CG fits right in with the MIC.  BD, WC, LN, LC, Pike, NC, Carmel not sure what makes any of these schools urban.  These are all suburban schools except maybe WC which is near 16th and Post.  The only Mega schools in the MIC are WC, Carmel, and BD.  

You're right about Warren Central. Its address is 9500 East 16th Street. It is considered to be an urban-suburban high school. Warren Central is the fourth largest high school in the state and thus is a mega school.

15 hours ago, CGFan2017 said:

I think it goes to Chad Daniels, defensive coordinator, if he wants it. But I have no idea at all about Coach Moore retiring or anything going on on the inside so take my speculation based off that.

But if there were to be an "outside" hire, I could see it being Mallory. I also wouldn't be surprised if it is a good enough job to pull Ralph away from New Pal.

What about Joe SIDEREWICZ? Guy has been on staff for a long time, knows the offense and the name carries some head coaching weight to it.... 

The way metropolitan Indianapolis has grown, all public schools in Marion County, with maybe the exception of Franklin Central and Decatur Central, are urban.  Drive west on Washington Street and tell me when you leave Center Township and enter Wayne Township.  Or south on Meridian and when you enter Perry Township.  You can’t.  They have blended together over the last twenty years.  This is what happens to metropolitan areas.  Let’s be honest, that’s why the “donut counties” grow.  A generation ago Fishers, Bargersville, and Avon were wide spots in the road.   It will continue.  Nothing is static.  I’d be looking down the road and position my school for what’s best for the future, not the past.