• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley
DrivenT

Officiating Shortage - Blame it on entitled millennials

Just like most transactions there is a financial line that makes it work. Officials ate underpaid plain and simple.  

Nobody walking through your house you’re trying to sell? Gotta drop the price.  Not enough officials signing up? Time to raise the pay.  

• Upvote 1

Officials have been underpaid for 40 years.  The current era is no different.

Guess we just can't get these entitled millennials away from their video games and out of their moms basements long enough to make a contribution to the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

That tagline isn't going to help your recruiting efforts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Its great for page views and responses however.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Which is all you media types focus  on right?

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Officials have been underpaid for 40 years.  The current era is no different.

I don’t concede this point. Pay was stagnant for a long time and has been very slow to climb in recent years.  10 dollar jumps a decade had greater impact in the 60s and 70s that’s significantly less impactful in the 2010s. 

A college kid or recent grad doesn’t see the value financially to giving up 4-5 hours on a Friday for 70 bucks minus tax gas and food.  

In fairness I don’t see DT giving up his Friday nights for $30-35 takehome in cash either. 

• Upvote 3

I officiated for 10 years.  Paid my dues and gave back to the game.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

A college kid or recent grad doesn’t see the value financially to giving up 4-5 hours on a Friday for 70 bucks minus tax gas and food.

Being a substitute teacher in night school in CCSD pays $45 and is a lot less work than officiating. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Being a substitute teacher in night school in CCSD pays $45 and is a lot less work than officiating. 

Not nearly as glamorous lol. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

We could list a lot of things that fit into this category as well.  

36 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I officiated for 10 years.  Paid my dues and gave back to the game.  

But you are not doing it anymore and that again verifies my stance that for many the cost/benefit doesn’t match. 

You pay officials $200 a varsity game watch what happens to the numbers and how much mor people will need to work multiple seasons to be full time Varsity again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The way officials are treated today also has a lot to do with it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Not nearly as glamorous lol. 

But the workload is a lot less.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coach_G said:

But you are not doing it anymore and that again verifies my stance that for many the cost/benefit doesn’t match. 

You pay officials $200 a varsity game watch what happens to the numbers and how much mor people will need to work multiple seasons to be full time Varsity again. 

I concur with this statement.  Times are a changin' and what worked back in the day may not work now.  Not saying it's right, but it's reality.

$200 might be a bit steep except for maybe the big schools.  Then again, I have attached what Texas refs get paid, from the UIL website 2017-2018 year.  Apparently goes by the takings at the gate, which in most cases probably corresponds with school size.  Realize it's not Indiana, but perhaps another point of reference for thought.

After reading the fee rates, I'm beginning to see why there seems to be a generally higher amount of complaining about officiating quality at 1A/2A games than the bigger schools; so says some acquaintances who are in the know.

Just realized it wants to download the file instead of just displaying it when you click.  Sorry, didn't know it would work that way.

Ref_fees.bmp

Edited by Bonecrusher

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

The way officials are treated today also has a lot to do with it.

I officiated for 1 year.  As a fan and former player  i never knew 'all' of the rule book . Most fans do not understand the rule book or know it entirely.  Couple that with the reality that a lot of fans relish the opportunity to 'vent' their life's frustrations  on referees  at sporting events, and being a ref is entirely unattractive. Coaches who are on the hot seat venting on a ref ,parents or married couples in the stands  who are in a bad marriage or just whatever the reason unhappy with their lives  or their son's playing time , refs are there to take the punishment. Not much fun.   A large percentage of fans i think view refs as people available for them to heckle for their own vengeance on whatever the world has dealt them  . It is like being at the roman coliseum  instead of throwing lions in there they just hurl insults as loud as they can from the stands. And nothing a ref can do but stand there and take it 

Plenty of us "entitled" millenials coaching rather than complaining to a forum doing nothing to help the game. Wonder what we will be blamed for next...

bloombitch.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, TCfootball70 said:

Plenty of us "entitled" millenials coaching rather than complaining to a forum doing nothing to help the game. Wonder what we will be blamed for next...

bloombitch.jpg

If there is one the thing the Baby Boomers have turned into an art form, it's blaming other generations for whatever they believe is a problem.

Millennials are just the most recent target.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Older generation blaming the younger generation....very original.  

Its always laughable to, because its the older generation who raised and taught the younger one.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Pay may not be great, but it's not terrible. Actually for a college student you can make pretty good money. Work 4-5 youth games on a Saturday morning while your buddies are sleeping off their hangover and you'll get out of there with $200-$250 for 4-5 hours of work. That's pretty good running around money. You probably aren't studying or doing anything else productive at this time anyway. And if you find out you love it, you can pick up some sub-varsity stuff during the week and possibly varsity games on Friday night. Then when you graduate you have a head start on a great avocation.

The Indiana Sports Corp will be hosting a clinic the day before the Big Ten Championship in December for high school and college students who are interested in learning more about officiating. I'll post details once they are finalized.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Pop Warner no.  And the middle school programs (at least in this area), adhere to NFHS rules.

No matter, I would prefer you to get your IHSAA license.  And attend as many local training classes and the like as possible. 

It takes one small step, but the rewards are fantastic! 

Don't just watch the game....  be the game and be a mentor if our youth.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Coach_G said:

Cant run anymore.  Arthritic knees

3 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

I concur with this statement.  Times are a changin' and what worked back in the day may not work now.  Not saying it's right, but it's reality.

$200 might be a bit steep except for maybe the big schools.  Then again, I have attached what Texas refs get paid, from the UIL website 2017-2018 year.  Apparently goes by the takings at the gate, which in most cases probably corresponds with school size.  Realize it's not Indiana, but perhaps another point of reference for thought.

After reading the fee rates, I'm beginning to see why there seems to be a generally higher amount of complaining about officiating quality at 1A/2A games than the bigger schools; so says some acquaintances who are in the know.

Just realized it wants to download the file instead of just displaying it when you click.  Sorry, didn't know it would work that way.

Ref_fees.bmp

We don't need to pay lazy, entitled millennials $200 per game to do these jobs.  If they lack the self motivation and drive to work for the going rate, then cancel the darn games.  If betting or fantasy are not involved, they probably have no interest anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

@Yuccaguy

My son is a HS Sophomore & hopefully has a few more years he will be playing, beyond that I have considered getting into officiating at the lower-levels once he graduates.

I have some personal issues to deal with (smoker, obese, past criminal record) to one degree or another in the next 2 yrs. I have a relative that got into officiating girls basketball a few yrs ago - he is a farmer and has a lot of free time in the winter, so this gives him something to do, some pocket money, and helps keep him active. I know he absolutely loves doing it.

Even if things went according to the plan in my head, it would be 5-10 years before I ever anticipate working a game at the HS level. That's in a perfect world. In the real world it may never happen.

I loved playing football, I love watching my son play, I like watching any kid I know play, and I would potentially like to "give back" at some point down the line.

So, I keep seeing posts about lack of officials, and maybe I'm just daft, but I'm not seeing links on How to Become a Football Official: For Dummies, how to get rulebooks to study, or where to apply, etc.

Pop Warner no.  And the middle school programs (at least in this area), adhere to NFHS rules.

No matter, I would prefer you to get your IHSAA license.  And attend as many local training classes and the like as possible. 

So with IHSAA licensing you can officiate MS FB in the State of Indiana, or no? I'm not sure if there is some sort of overlap/cross-reference on rules/etc.

Regardless of the need for officials at the HS level, I would not want to start with even Freshman level games. The lower the level, the better IMO.

Pop Warner:  http://www.popwarner.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1578539 & http://nipwls.com/

- I see a lot of info, pdf, & links, but nothing that talks about "how to get become an official".

- Link for Rensselaer Association is broken.

NFHS Football: https://www.nfhs.org/activities-sports/football/ & https://www.nfhs.org/who-we-are/membership

- Looks like comprehensive information, rulebooks available in print or e-format, and membership.

- Not sure I understand the verbage below and how it relates to Indiana officials?

NFHS cannot accept applications from individuals officiating in any of the 100% participating state associations. For state contact information please follow this link to our State Association Listing. 100% participating states:
AK, AL, AR, AZ, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, IA, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MN, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, OR, RI, SC, SD, TX, UT, VA, WV, WY

IHSAA: http://www.ihsaa.org/Officials/Licensing

- Information is pretty clear and concise.

2.     Rules books will be sent to you for study prior to the test.

3.     The cost of applying to take a test in a sport is $50.00 for up to three sports in one year. No money will be refunded.

$50.00 to get your hands on the materials, even if you do not plan to actually take the test, is how I am reading the IHSAA site.

Posted (edited)

A lot of youth football leagues & middle schools want licensed officials, for liability reasons if nothing else. That's also a great way to get some experience and some extra spending money. 

I'd love to consider it, but I have a ton on my plate and I know that my personal makeup could make me a pretty lousy official, so I try to give back to the games I enjoy by helping with game ops & media responsibilities. 

Edited by crimsonace1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Don't post if you don't actually believe it. This is the kind of stuff that is killing the credibility of journalism. Want to boost views? Be creative and positive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Don't post if you don't actually believe it. This is the kind of stuff that is killing the credibility of journalism. Want to boost views? Be creative and positive. 

Exactly.