• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

DTs Dandy Dozen - College Recap Oct 8, 2017

Posted (edited)

1. Time to finally stick a fork in the Nebraska football program.  Getting ugly in Lincoln as Wisconsin blows the Huskers off their own field.  Not sure if NU has what it takes to get back to the top of the college football world.  Mike Reilly is a good guy but clearly not the messiah they were looking for to lead them back to the promised land.  Nebraska chased after the Big Ten bucks and got their cash, but left their hallowed football past on the plains of the Big 12.  

2. Given the failure of Nebraska to rebuild their program, the Big Ten needs to rebalance its divisions as Wisconsin is the only elite level program in the Big Ten West.  I would like to see the conference go to a North - South alignment, which will create more balance in the league 

Big Ten North

Minnesota

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan State

Big Ten South

Illinois

Indiana 

Purdue

Ohio State

Penn State

Maryland

Rutgers

3. Gotta love how renegade Coach Mike Leach is tearing it up at Washington State.  The Cougars are undefeated after taking out Oregon on the road.  WSU and Washington could be heading for a battle of unbeatens in the final week of the regular season.  Power has shifted from California to Oregon to Washington in the Pac 12.  Great coaches make a difference.

4. Purdue's win over Minnesota on Saturday was a big one.  It shows the Boilers can win in the conference and undoubtedly gives this team huge confidence as it looks ahead to the remainder of the schedule.  Jeff Brohm doing a brilliant job and a leading Coach of the Year candidate.  (Will be tough to beat out Leach and Chris Petersen) 

5. Something very satisfying with Iowa State's win over Oklahoma.  And the planting of the flag at midfield after the win was fun as well.  The Big 12 is a mess.  TCU is now the front runner as its generally a given that a 1 loss Big 12 team will usually get bypassed for the playoff.  

6. I like Jim Harbaugh, but why is he losing all his big games?  1-3 now against OSU and MSU. And Sparty was supposed to be down this year, or rebuilding at best.  

7. Ohio State has outscored Rutgers and Maryland 121-14 over the past 2 weeks.  Urban Meyer is not taking it easy on these two new eastern entries to the conference.  

8. Look for Arkansas to can Bret Bielema after the season.  The Hogs lost big at South Carolina this weekend, and Big Bret is now 10-24 in SEC play since becoming Head Hog 5 years ago.  I think they are fed up with his schtick out in Fayetteville.  Probably wish they had never run Bobby Petrino out of town.

9. Speaking of Petrino, they are talking about running Louisville out of the ACC on the heels of the Rick Pitino recruiting mess at the U of L.  Word is that ACC honchos are regretting their decision to bring in the renegade Louisville program during the last round of expansion, and are wishing they had taken West Virginia or UConn.  Really too bad for WVU.  They would have been a perfect fit and wouldn't have had to do all the crazy Big 12 traveling they are currently locked in to.

10. I've set the IU over/under for Big Ten wins at "2".  I'm leaning towards the under at this time.  Having a hard time finding two wins on this schedule :

Sat Oct 14
12:00 pm ET

MICH

Sat Oct 21
TBA

@MICHST

Sat Oct 28
TBA

@MD

Sat Nov 4
TBA

WISC

Sat Nov 11
TBA

@ILL

Sat Nov 18
TBA

RUT

Sat Nov 25
TBA

@PURDUE

11.  Caught a little of the Illinois - Iowa game yesterday and saw Jeff George Jr get some action.  George Jr was 22-45 for 256 yards, but threw 3 pics as the Hawks dominated 45-16.  Good looking athlete, looks just like his Dad.  6-3, 215 lbs.  Lovie Smith is struggling at Illinois.  Not sure he will last beyond this season.  Wonder if he really wants it that bad.  

12. Georgia will be the team that finally topples Alabama off of the college football mountain top.  The Dawgs are 6-0, and UGA recruiting is off the charts.  Kirby Smart, former top Nick Saban assistant, knows the Bama program inside and out.  This will work to his advantage.  Bama - Georgia is the best the SEC can do in terms of a conference championship game.  This one should be a Dandy.

Edited by DrivenT

After Riley goes bye-bye at Nebraska, could Brett Bielema come back to the B1G?

1 hour ago, bobref said:

Maybe. I would say former QB, Scott Frost.

Years ago, the question about Nebraska was....is it Tom Osbourne who made the program great? Was it really a top program prior to his arrival?

As far as Georgia goes, I agree they could pick off Bama. The better that Georgia does, the better that team from Northern Indiana looks. To think about how they dominated MSU, and to see how MSU did against Michigan helps make the case for a nice jump in the polls for the Irish; especially considering a couple of the upsets should knock some higher ranked teams down a few notches.

For the Hoosiers, I will double down on the over. They should beat Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland. Michigan will be an interesting match-up. I still like them to get MSU as well. MSU may have peaked against UM.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, bobref said:

Bielema is damaged goods.  

His next job will be as an assistant on an NFL staff.  

Edited by DrivenT

As an IU guy, very surprised, and worried, about Brohm at Purdue. Biggest question is how long can they hold onto him? Can they keep him 2-3 years to get his guys in place and the momentum going forward? Would not be surprised at all to see Tennessee make a run at him this year once they inevitably fire Butch Jones and losing Brohm this early puts the Boilers scrambling. Still think Louisville may come into play before it's all said and done. Louisville will be looking to shore up it's image after the fall out with it's basketball program, Petrino isn't exactly squeaky clean. Could also see Petrino jumping to greener pastures if he's serious about making a playoff run before his time runs out. He'll never have a player as dynamic as Lamar Jackson and if he was ever going to take Louisville to the playoffs it would be with him leading the way. That time has come and gone with two early season losses.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

As an IU guy, very surprised, and worried, about Brohm at Purdue. Biggest question is how long can they hold onto him? Can they keep him 2-3 years to get his guys in place and the momentum going forward? Would not be surprised at all to see Tennessee make a run at him this year once they inevitably fire Butch Jones and losing Brohm this early puts the Boilers scrambling. Still think Louisville may come into play before it's all said and done. Louisville will be looking to shore up it's image after the fall out with it's basketball program, Petrino isn't exactly squeaky clean. Could also see Petrino jumping to greener pastures if he's serious about making a playoff run before his time runs out. He'll never have a player as dynamic as Lamar Jackson and if he was ever going to take Louisville to the playoffs it would be with him leading the way. That time has come and gone with two early season losses.

Hard to believe that Petrino might be the "clean guy" looking to get out of Dodge, but when compared to that slimeball Pitino, that might be the case.

The Ville will be damaged goods, the entire athletic department, for some time after this fiasco.  Purdue is going to have to come up with some big coin to keep Brohm around.  That has never been their way of operating, but maybe they finally come in to the 21st century any pony up the cash like a big time college football program.  

I'm an IU guy myself, and when I look at who we hired in comparison to Brohm, Yikes!  I expect PU to smoke Indiana in instate recruiting, despite whatever ties Allen has  to the Hoosier state high school coaching community.  Allen has been gone from Ben Davis for over a decade.  Most of these young coaches probably never heard of him before he was hired as DC at IU.  

Maybe Arkansas would take back Petrino, just like Louisville did.  LOL

4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Hard to believe that Petrino might be the "clean guy" looking to get out of Dodge, but when compared to that slimeball Pitino, that might be the case.

The Ville will be damaged goods, the entire athletic department, for some time after this fiasco.  Purdue is going to have to come up with some big coin to keep Brohm around.  That has never been their way of operating, but maybe they finally come in to the 21st century any pony up the cash like a big time college football program.  

I'm an IU guy myself, and when I look at who we hired in comparison to Brohm, Yikes!  I expect PU to smoke Indiana in instate recruiting, despite whatever ties Allen has  to the Hoosier state high school coaching community.  Allen has been gone from Ben Davis for over a decade.  Most of these young coaches probably never heard of him before he was hired as DC at IU.  

This is the greatest part of a post I have ever seen!

13 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I digress on Allen in terms of recruiting. I think he will be able to recruit the state and is already off to a good start both as his time as a DC and HC. I'm worried about his in-game coaching ability. But Allen was a sympathy hire in order to keep things in shape as IU had a lot of good pieces coming back. I smell a Billy Lynch scenario where he's just simply over-matched by the elite coaches in the Big 10 East which really is unfortunate. IU would be a 7-8 win team playing the schedule that Purdue has.

As far as Brohm goes, I think Louisville is his dream job and it's no secret. The question will be what job does he take before Petrino's time is up. To me Tennessee is a no brainer. The SEC East outside of Georgia is in shambles. With the talent Tennessee is able to bring in, beating Georgia is the path to getting to Atlanta and one could argue that is an easier feat than doing it in the B10 West in West Lafayette.

Posted (edited)

IMO, Tennessee is not the job it used to be.  A lot like Nebraska.  Two small population states that rely on a big personality guy to recruit out of state talent.  

Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer were those guys for a long time at UT.  Kids today have never seen a strong Tennessee football program, so recruiting is that much more difficult.  All of the UT coaches have struggled since Fulmer retired.  See below - Tennessee ranked number 7 in SEC recruiting.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

The current mess at Louisville might be a blessing for Purdue fans.  Brohm is a standup guy and he may not want to get near that cesspool of an athletic program.  

I still see Brohm as an NFL OC and then HC.  I think that is his ultimate path.  Maybe he will be the next HC of the Indianapolis Colts.  

Edited by DrivenT

I think that if Brohm truly wants to stay at Purdue he will, but the deciding factor will be the fact that he has two brothers and fellow former Louisville greats on his coaching staff. I think that Brohm will stay unless he receives a good NFL offer or an offer from Louisville. AD Bobinski doesn't seem to have an issue paying money to improve the program. He's massively improved the facilities, added permanent lights, and paid Brohm's staff much more than Burke paid Hazell's assistants. The B1G West isn't normally strong outside of Wisconsin, meaning that Purdue will perennially play an easy schedule for a power five team. 

I LOVE ME SOME MIKE LEACH!!!

I could listen to him all day everyday!!   Though he may have gone a bit far at TT with this doozy 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Leach "is" Bob Knight, circa 1975-1995

Love it

16 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Leach "is" Bob Knight, circa 1975-1995

Love it

With a few less explitives.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:05 AM, Footballking16 said:

I think you are spot on.....Love what Brohm has done so quickly for the Boilers....but I see greener pastures ahead for him.  (Purdue will have to step it up with the $$$ to hold on)  He is a hot, hot name. Even getting the NY Times to write about him.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/20/16334894/purdue-football-2017-jeff-brohm-head-coach-offense

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/09/why_purdues_jeff_brohm_is_earl.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/06/sports/ncaafootball/michigan-purdue-big-ten.html

Being in the Big 10 west is a plus for Brohm.  He could absolutely put them in the Big 10 title game in the near future.

On 10/9/2017 at 1:11 PM, DrivenT said:

IMO, Tennessee is not the job it used to be.  A lot like Nebraska.  Two small population states that rely on a big personality guy to recruit out of state talent.  

Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer were those guys for a long time at UT.  Kids today have never seen a strong Tennessee football program, so recruiting is that much more difficult.  All of the UT coaches have struggled since Fulmer retired.  See below - Tennessee ranked number 7 in SEC recruiting.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

The current mess at Louisville might be a blessing for Purdue fans.  Brohm is a standup guy and he may not want to get near that cesspool of an athletic program.  

I still see Brohm as an NFL OC and then HC.  I think that is his ultimate path.  Maybe he will be the next HC of the Indianapolis Colts.  

True about Tennessee...but Purdue wasn't the job it used to be and Brohm took it and look at the results.  Who's to say he couldn't be the savior of Rocky Top?    Guessing he would love their facilities.....

https://247sports.com/Article/top-five-facilities-in-college-football-37790331