• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Letter: High school football blowouts out of hand

http://www.jconline.com/story/news/opinion/letters/2017/10/10/letter-high-school-football-blowouts-out-hand/751523001/

So, I just read that Lafayette Jeff won 50-0 over a team, and West Lafayette won 70-0 over another team last Friday night

When do you coaches stop? When do you think of the opposing players and the commitment they have made?

Look at it, please.

Interesting question.

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

We've been over this before.

There is only so much a winning coach can do in these situations. Taking a knee in the middle of the third quarter is not one of them (you know that). If the winning coach appropriately pulls his starters and it's the back-ups and JV doing the scoring on basic and manila plays there's not much you can do.

The IHSAA needs to intervene. There needs to be a running clock after half time once the score differential reaches 35 points. It runs until the losing team team gets below the point threshold. Do not leave it up to the coaches to make the decision. I've seen plenty of games where a losing coach has refused a running clock because he needs the time to get his players reps. I understand but it's a huge reason why some of these games get out of hand. When you're down 60 points and throwing the ball all over the field, incompletion after incompletion and no time elapses and that's why these scores get so high because games are unnecessarily prolonged. A mandatory running clock will solve some of these blowouts.

Edited by Footballking16

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Taking a knee in the middle of the third quarter is not one of them (you know that).

Why not?  Honest question.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

When you're down 60 points and throwing the ball all over the field, incompletion after incompletion know time elapses and that's why these scores get so high because games are unnecessarily prolonged. A mandatory running clock will solve some of these blowouts.

That is on the coaches, if it is that bad, and the losing team wants to keep throwing to stop the clock, do not feel bad at all for them.  Handling blowouts is never easy for either team, and many times the coaches on the losing end are a big part of the reason why, and part of that would be like you mentioned, throwing all the time and doing things to stop the clock.

With that, do not want to see a true running clock, many times I have seen officials go to a "modified" running clock, starting it when the ball is placed after going OB or an incomplete pass and things like that

19 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Because you don't prepare all week to simply snap the ball and take a knee. This is a perfect time for your seniors who don't get to play much to get some action as well as your younger guys.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The Varsity players are not the only players that sacrifice and sweat and bleed and go through pain during the week in preparation for games on Friday nights.  How can a coach tell a kid that may not get to play every Friday that they are just going out there to kneel the ball. They all want to play and want to play as good as they can. I know when I was playing at Warren that i was not the best player and would not ever be a starter on O or D just bc of the pure talent that was in front of me, but when i would get in on Friday nights i would wanna score every time we had the ball. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What about the commitments the winning teams have made? What about the off season, weight room and practice hours they put in? The teams with the blow out wins need to show restraint at some point, I completely agree. However, how is it fair to a team that has committed to be as successful as they are to only play half a game and then you have jv kids get short changed in their game due to lack of quarters. Sometimes it is on the losing team and staff to play a better game.

5 minutes ago, warren05 said:

How can a coach tell a kid that may not get to play every Friday that they are just going out there to kneel the ball. 

Shouldn't good sportsmanship and concern for the fellow man trump the amount of 'reps' a player thinks they deserve?

Edited by Muda69
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Shouldn't good sportsmanship and concern for the fellow man trump the amount of 'reps' a player thinks they deserve?

No. Good sportsmanship comes in the form of me not throwing the ball around the field as i am up 50 or onside kicking after i score a TD or going for 2 or taking out my varsity players out when up by a decent amount of points. these all exihbit good sportsmanship to me and doesn't punish my other players because the other team is not able to stop my varsity.

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Is kneeling the ball in the 3rd quarter really that good of "sportsmanship"? Should the team that is up 50-0 just allow the other team to score 6 or 7 times in the 3rd quarter to be good sports and then jump on them again in the 4th and win 80-49?

1 minute ago, warren05 said:

No. Good sportsmanship comes in the form of me not throwing the ball around the field as i am up 50 or onside kicking after i score a TD or going for 2 or taking out my varsity players out when up by a decent amount of points. these all exihbit good sportsmanship to me and doesn't punish my other players because the other team is not able to stop my varsity.

We have different opinions of the word 'sportsmanship' then.

You have already effectively won the game.  Why should the remainder of it then be used a a glorified practice session?

1 minute ago, FishDuck said:

Is kneeling the ball in the 3rd quarter really that good of "sportsmanship"? Should the team that is up 50-0 just allow the other team to score 6 or 7 times in the 3rd quarter to be good sports and then jump on them again in the 4th and win 80-49?

You still won the game,  didn't you?

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

We have different opinions of the word 'sportsmanship' then.

You have already effectively won the game.  Why should the remainder of it then be used a a glorified practice session?

So the other team should have a chance to run thier plays and have a glorified practice session but my team should just kneel the ball for them?

8 minutes ago, warren05 said:

So the other team should have a chance to run thier plays and have a glorified practice session but my team should just kneel the ball for them?

Yes.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

Does anyone know the number of states that have a "mercy" rule?

Should the IHSAA mandate that if you beat a non conference opponent by a specific margin that you have to drop said opponent?  Been through this argument before with people but after the Monrovia Dawgs put 74 and 82 on the Cascade their Hendricks county and former WCC "Rival" in 2014 &2015 it was time for them to find a new week 2 team

I understand if its a conference opponent its there is not a ton you can do, but no reason for lopsided non conference games especially considering most contracts with non conference schools are generally just 2 years. You might even be able to impose a fee for those schools that keep smaller or weaker opponents on the schedule  that goes to the team you destroy yearly (like in college or if its an away year game for the better team make the visiting team pay for officials and workers ect....  that would motivate ADs to go out and find more competitive games. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes.

Muda have you ever been a football coach?

• Upvote 2

Once a running clock starts, it needs to never stop or have a much lower threshold to resume normal operation.

For example, if a team is up 41-0 and kicking off. Do they leave the starters in? Put the JV in, running the risk that a TD would drop the spread under 35? Or worse in my opinion, put JV in and if they other team reaches the red zone- put starters back in to protect the running clock. How ridiculous would that be?

I think if a running clock is agreed upon by both teams head coaches that the running clock does not stop because a team scores to make the score closer.

56 minutes ago, iubirdman said:

That is on the coaches, if it is that bad, and the losing team wants to keep throwing to stop the clock, do not feel bad at all for them.  Handling blowouts is never easy for either team, and many times the coaches on the losing end are a big part of the reason why, and part of that would be like you mentioned, throwing all the time and doing things to stop the clock.

With that, do not want to see a true running clock, many times I have seen officials go to a "modified" running clock, starting it when the ball is placed after going OB or an incomplete pass and things like that

Agreed, if the IFCA wants a mercy rule, all they have to do is tell the IHSAA what they want.

For those of you who enjoy blowouts, the biggest "Blowout Week" of the season is coming soon!

The first round of the Indiana State High School Football Tournament.

Carnage and bloodshed await.  Kind of like "The Walking Dead."  (I hate that show)

Enjoy

:07_v:

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

This is always a ridiculous argument.

Players aren't going to feel any better or worse if they get beat 42-0 or 56-0. 

I think some "adults" get much more bent out of shape over this topic then the actual players and coaches do.  I seriously doubt many 16 year old high school kids are going to cry themselves to sleep because another team beats them by 56 instead of 42.  Most of them can't remember the score of the game 45 minutes after the game ends anyway.

Play the game.  You only get 10 guaranteed games a year.  This isn't little league. And remember there is a paying public to think about.  People who pay money to watch their child play, whether they are a starter or a backup who actually gets to play in a varsity game during blowouts.  And also with the 5 quarter rule and some programs being short on numbers to begin with, its not like you can start putting JV players in so early in games anyway.

Let the coaches of the actual teams run their teams like they see fit and manage the game as they see fit.  And if the opposing coach has an issue with how another coach manages his team, take it up with him after the game or in another manner in the offseason.  Part of being a head coach.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Does anyone know the number of states that have a "mercy" rule?

Based on the guys I've talked to around the country I estimate it's about 50/50. Most are similar with the only difference being the point total and when it can start. Some do revert back to a regular clock when it drops below that point total.

I think it's Connecticut or Rhode Island that would suspend a head coach for one game if their team won by more than 50 points. I'm not sure if that's still in place.

• Thanks 1

/s

maybe everyone should start getting participation trophy's too while we're at it....

I was on the wrong end of the scoreboard many times in these blowouts, life is rarely fair, still a lot of important lessons to learn from a blowout from both sides

40 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Agreed, if the IFCA wants a mercy rule, all they have to do is tell the IHSAA what they want.

This has been discussed. Although some feel a mercy rule would affect possible seeding if sags are used for such. Larger victory margin usually equal a better sag, therefore affecting seeding.

This is of course if we went down the seeding road....

Edited by Veechy63