• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Letter: High school football blowouts out of hand

45 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Does anyone know the number of states that have a "mercy" rule?

Kentucky does have a running clock rule. Whenever an opponent scores 36 points, the running clock kicks in.

With very few exceptions, I think most on here understand blowouts are going to happen and do realize that there is not much difference between a 42-0 and 56-0 score or whatever the numbers you want to look at are.

I do think however, most realize that there is a difference in HOW the blowouts happen and most have an issue with the majority of them that are intentional.  If you are up 60 and still scoring with the JV and freshman running base offence that is different to most than being up 50 and throwing deep with starters in and running onside kicks and the like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, warren05 said:

Muda have you ever been a football coach?

Yes.

45 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

/s

maybe everyone should start getting participation trophy's too while we're at it....

Isn't that what the all-in format of the current IHSAA tournament guarantees, a trophy in the form of a tournament game regardless of your record?

I support a common sense approach to a Running Clock:   Take it out of the officials who have to go request from each coach hands.   

42 seems reasonable.   

I can accept 35 points, 

I would like to see fluctuate however.  Running Clock stops if threshold has decreased.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I support a common sense approach to a Running Clock:   Take it out of the officials who have to go request from each coach hands.   

42 seems reasonable.   

I can accept 35 points, 

I would like to see fluctuate however.  Running Clock stops if threshold has decreased.   

The argument though, is that many times, the only reason that threshold has decreased is because the #3 corner on the depth chart gave up a fade, or the freshmen squad missed 5 tackles.  Is it worth stopping it again?

I think if you get up 40, roll that thing.  No questions asked.  No matter what quarter.

I'm with you on the 35 being iffy

In 1951, in a game on a very cold night at Marshall, IL, Linton was leading 50 - 0 at the half.  Marshall received the ball at the start of the second half, didn't move the ball and punted.  The Linton deep back took the punt and punted it back to Marshall.  This continued the entire second half.  Linton ran no offensive plays the second half. :-).  Yes, I was there.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, kingtut said:

In 1951, in a game on a very cold night at Marshall, IL, Linton was leading 50 - 0 at the half.  Marshall received the ball at the start of the second half, didn't move the ball and punted.  The Linton deep back took the punt and punted it back to Marshall.  This continued the entire second half.  Linton ran no offensive plays the second half. :-).  Yes, I was there.

Classy.

not arguing for or against per se, as I believe a running clock at a certain point makes sense, but is it fair to ask a team to kneel or punt the entire second half when a college scout is there watching a kid that the only way he can afford to continue his education is through an athletic scholarship?

TN has running clock in Second half if 35 or more, but will got to regular timing if less than 35.  Here if both coches agree the clock can run but it not an NHSF or IHSAA rule, but should be.  I was told the coaches voted it down. So does that meant the IFCA voted on it and because the majority voted against it then it wasnt no taken to IHSAA?   The IHSAA makes up it own rules anyway why not add this one?

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

You still won the game,  didn't you?

When you don't have a good answer to someone else's question you ask a different question...i'll give it a try

Does the other team feel better about themselves? Am I considered a good "sport" if I only put 1 player on the field every defensive possession in the second half until the other team gets within a certain score and then put my starters back in to secure the win after giving the other team false hope and letting them score?

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Does anyone know the number of states that have a "mercy" rule?

No mercy rule in Texas 11-man.  Running clock can be used if agreed upon by both coaches.

There is a 45-point mercy rule in Texas 6-man.  When one team is 45 or more points ahead at the end of the first half or if a team achieves a 45 point lead during the second half, the game ends immediately.  45 is a big differential, but 6-man scores are usually pretty high.

Edited by Bonecrusher

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Classy.

If it's going to resort to this, or taking a knee every play, might as well end the game.   Yeah it was a nice thing to do in that game, but a waste of everyone's time watching the Linton punter fine-tune his kicks.

If I was still a player and the opposing team was laying down just to keep from scoring on us, I would be embarrassed that my parents/fans had to witness it.  I would rather go down swinging.

Not trying to be insensitive (I know what it feels like as a parent because one of my kids was on a team that got waxed big time in all but one game in jr. high), but really........

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

Does the other team feel better about themselves? Am I considered a good "sport" if I only put 1 player on the field every defensive possession in the second half until the other team gets within a certain score and then put my starters back in to secure the win after giving the other team false hope and letting them score?

Maybe.

I never said anything about not preventing the opponent from scoring.

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

What do you think is going to happen if you start making teams qualify for the playoffs or seeding them?  Is that going to help running up the score in the regular season?

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, kingtut said:

Man... I want to know what the total punt yardage was for the Linton punter in that game!

Edited by nmsu aggie
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, XStar said:

What do you think is going to happen if you start making teams qualify for the playoffs or seeding them?  Is that going to help running up the score in the regular season?

That depends on the qualifying system used to determine who makes the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Yes.

Did you execute your philosiphy when every (if ever) your team was up by a large margin?

3 minutes ago, warren05 said:

Did you execute your philosiphy when every (if ever) your team was up by a large margin?

I don't recall ever being in that situation.  But if it had occurred I feel confident my plan would have been executed.

A few years ago when Triton was still in the NSC, New Prairie was ahead of us 62-0 at halftime.  They scored almost every time they ran a play.  Triton had nothing but 3 and outs or turnovers the entire half.  The final score was 62-0.  NP literally refused to score in the second half.  They used their JV and frosh players to move down the field, then ran out of bounds and took knees in order to give the ball back to Triton.  Frankly, it was embarrassing for BOTH schools.  (And, no doubt that is one of the reasons Triton now plays in the HNAC.)  The following year - which promised to be another massacre - New Prairie made a conscious decision not to return kicks.  Every punt from Triton was allowed to roll to a stop, even before there was any score.  Of course New Prairie still whooped us (and got a few extra rushing yards in the process), but I thought that was a classy move from the beginning.

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I don't recall ever being in that situation.  But if it had occurred I feel confident my plan would have been executed.

Wow you are such a humanitarian. I cant belive you would even support a sport that would have a loser. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, warren05 said:

I cant belive you would even support a sport that would have a loser. 

?  Please elaborate.

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

?  Please elaborate.

Well you seem to be of the mindset that no one should  beat badly as some have in the past. To me it seems as if you think we should not keep score and just play for the fun of it. You dont want the back-ups to get any better. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, warren05 said:

Well you seem to be of the mindset that no one should  beat badly as some have in the past. 

And how does that equal one team not losing the game?

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And how does that equal one team not losing the game?

Well if you dont want them beat badly why would you want them to lose at all?