• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Letter: High school football blowouts out of hand

3 minutes ago, warren05 said:

Well if you dont want them beat badly why would you want them to lose at all?

Oh yes, the good old "Conan the Barbarian" argument:  "To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women."

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, XStar said:

What do you think is going to happen if you start making teams qualify for the playoffs or seeding them?  Is that going to help running up the score in the regular season?

Interesting question.  I believe it depends on how you qualify.  If it's your district/sectional record, than a win's a win regardless of scores.  If they use points for/against as all or part of the criteria, then I could see teams wanting or needing to keep their foot on the gas.

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Oh yes, the good old "Conan the Barbarian" argument:  "To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of their women."

Arnold says it like this :

:  "To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And to hear the lamentations of da women."

26 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

Interesting question.  I believe it depends on how you qualify.  If it's your district/sectional record, than a win's a win regardless of scores.  If they use points for/against as all or part of the criteria, then I could see teams wanting or needing to keep their foot on the gas.

I would assume at some point there would have to be tiebreakers involving points scored or margin of victory.  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, warren05 said:

Wow you are such a humanitarian. I cant belive you would even support a sport that would have a loser. 

What makes you think he supports it?

• Upvote 2

How would your options not be the same of someone just giving up or quitting?  I do not endorse either.

The pursuit of excellence includes is 'striving for perfection even when knowing perfection cannot be accomplished.'  That includes situations that are impossible, not better moment to teach about resiliency, perseverance, and coping.  After all it is just a game correct?  So if we are getting that bent out of shape from getting embarrassed in a game, how will we handle embarrassment in the real world?  It is a flat out terrible situation, I have been there as a player and a coach.

If you can't stop them (including jv and freshman), then get better.  It's not nice or sympathetic, but it's honesty.  Easier to learn from honesty than false perceptions.

Edited by LilUrb
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, LilUrb said:

The pursuit of excellence includes is 'striving for perfection even when knowing perfection cannot be accomplished.'  That includes situations that are impossible, not better moment to teach about resiliency, perseverance, and coping.  After all it is just a game correct?  So if we are getting that bent out of shape from getting embarrassed in a game, how will we handle embarrassment in the real world?  It is a flat out terrible situation, I have been there as a player and a coach.

If you can't stop them (including jv and freshman), then get better.  It's not nice or sympathetic, but it's honesty.  Easier to learn from honesty than false perceptions.

Yes, it is just a game.  So what is the point of running up the score, then?

So there is no place for sportsmanship and human compassion in the real world?  

3 hours ago, kingtut said:

In 1951, in a game on a very cold night at Marshall, IL, Linton was leading 50 - 0 at the half.  Marshall received the ball at the start of the second half, didn't move the ball and punted.  The Linton deep back took the punt and punted it back to Marshall.  This continued the entire second half.  Linton ran no offensive plays the second half. :-).  Yes, I was there.

he caught it then immediately punted it?  that is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I don't recall ever being in that situation.  But if it had occurred I feel confident my plan would have been executed.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yes, it is just a game.  So what is the point of running up the score, then?

So there is no place for sportsmanship and human compassion in the real world?  

That’s why you put in JV and Freshmen.  And if they can’t stop them then they have more problems than you running up the score.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, LilUrb said:

And if they can’t stop them then they have more problems than you running up the score.

Like what kind of problems?

I sent a note to my contact and heard back from several. All 14 said they have some form of mercy rule. I guess my 50/50 was a little off. Half of them implemented at 35 points. The rest were either 30 or 40-45. A couple didn't share the point difference. All but one applied in the 2nd half only. Minnesota doesn't implement their mercy rule until the 4th quarter. Georgia makes it the option of the losing coach in the 3rd quarter, but it's mandatory if the difference is 30 at the beginning of the 4th quarter. If the difference doesn't reach 30 until sometime in the 4th quarter, the mercy rule doesn't apply.

60% that replied indicated they do revert back to regular timing. Minnesota only does it if goes back under 30 (their trigger is 35). Wisconsin only reverts if it gets back under 35 in the third quarter. The clock changes varied, but for the most part it would stop for time outs, injures, and after scores. In some cases the clock would start when the ball is kicked on a kickoff rather than when it was legally touched.

The easiest way to avoid blowouts is to play alike competition. What is the point of a team being ahead 56-0 in the 2nd quarter? That tells me that those 2 teams shouldn't be playing each other in the first place. Without getting all negative about 2A - 6A teams being in the same conference just because they are in the same city/ area, every team should schedule themselves against similar competition. My bet would be that almost every team could find similar class opponents and still get their 9 regular season games in with a lot less blowouts. Sure, if a 6A team blows out another 6A team then so be it. My issue is seeing 5A teams playing 1A teams and blowing them out just because they are in the same conference. 

• Like 1

I know this is not possible for in season games,  but several years ago at a summer basketball tourney we were playing a team MUCH better than us, and on the court right next to us were 2 other teams where the game was probably 40-10 at halftime or so as well.  I asked the officials if it would be possible to just switch teams at the half!  His reply, if all 4 agree go ahead!!  Talked to the other 3 coaches and we all agreed no one was benefiting at that point, so we switched and the 2 better teams played, and we played the one that was losing on the other court, both 2nd halves were quite competitive and everyone benefited.

Again, obviously not something that can be done on Friday nights, but thought it fit the discussion

This doesn't meet the criteria of a bigger school blowing out a smaller school, but what about this one?  In 2010, 1A North Daviess beat 1A Linton, 73 - 33.  The next year (2011), Linton won 81 - 20.  I use this example to point out that programs have peaks and valleys.  I've seen a team schedule what had been a good program from a bigger school, only to catch them in a down cycle and the smaller school end up winning by big scores.  You can't always predict when a program will fall off for a while.  There are MANY factors involved, just like there are MANY factors involved with a "blowout type" score.  With 324 teams in the state, it would be practically impossible to have a schedule where every team on that schedule was good every year.  Not gonna happen.  There will always be some blowouts in football.  No matter how many rules you put in place, mercy or otherwise.  I believe it has more to do with being at the right place, at the right time.  Hence playing teams during the times they are on an up cycle versus playing them during a down cycle.  Everyone got that?  There may be a quiz on it later,  I haven't made up my mind about that yet.  LOL  (just kidding about the quiz part)

• Upvote 3

I heard from a few more friends. I was even more wrong than I thought. Of the 24 states represented, only Indiana and Texas have no mercy rule. Both do allow a running clock though at the agreement of both coaches. 35 points was the most common trigger point, and 7 of them were 40 or more. Only 7 revert back to regular timing if the score falls below the trigger. All that replied did say they stop the clock for time outs and most stop for injuries and scores. Only 5 stop for penalty enforcement and 2 stop for first downs. Most only apply in the 2nd half, but there are 2 that consider it in the first half as well (Arizona/Colorado)

On 10/12/2017 at 8:37 AM, Muda69 said:

Why not?  Honest question.

I suppose then that we might as well just end the game once a team is down 35.   Also, smaller schools jv is truly a jv....freshmen and sophs...the opposition leaves their starters out there...after being physically handles for three quarters....than light up the younger kids which can lead to big time injuries....they put in their subs. We follow suit.  I also believethat putting the subs and jv...you want them to play ball. I don't mean throw up deep posts or reverses....but let them run plays...they work hard all week too. But I also have seen a defense out all 11 at the line against our young kids and just pound them..so we run short pass play to a chorus of boos.   If you are beating a team that bad year in and out, you need to get a better opponent.... Linton has done that....

On 10/12/2017 at 9:20 AM, Muda69 said:

Yes.

Didn't you state in another thread that football is a business? Do you honestly think that the paying fans want to see a team kneel for two quarters?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

Didn't you state in another thread that football is a business? Do you honestly think that the paying fans want to see a team kneel for two quarters?

They have already paid their money.  Just post a "no refunds" sign and you are good to go.

Another angle to this is using JV and Freshman players in the Varsity game.  Do teams wait until the 4th quarter to put them in so they can play an entire JV game or do they come in earlier and risk not playing the JV game.

I am for players participating on Fridays,  if the JV game is canceled, so be it.  I know this is a problem with smaller schools, but playing varsity is the goal of every player.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:13 PM, itiswhatitis said:

There will always be some blowouts in football. 

No, there can't be.  Every team needs to be the same as every team on its schedule.  Every game should be 21-20 and all teams should be 5-5 each year.  We shant have one team defeating another team by more then 40 points!  That will be the ruination of high school sports and likely lead our children to quit the game because losing 49-0 with no mercy rule is much more hurtful then losing 35-0 and having a running clock in the 2nd half.  These "mercy rules" are a crock of crap and I'm thankful I live in a state that still plays 48 minutes of football each Friday night and lets the coaches of perspective football teams coach and manage the game the way they see fit.  We have gotten plenty of stuff wrong with HS sports but thank goodness we haven't messed that up yet here.

• Like 1

As a player & coach I’ve been on both sides. Yup, it REALLY stinks to lose by 60. HOWEVER, the only thing I can think of that would be worse, would be having to stand there and watch the other team take a knee for a quarter or the majority of the second half. What could be worse that that? Lifting all winter, sweating your (you know what) off all summer, practing all week, just to have the game cut short because of a “run rule”. 

You know who does enjoy that time? The young kids who don’t ever get to play on Fridays. The seniors that have put in work for four years, but just simply aren’t good enough to routinely play. The kid that rarely gets to play, he walks off the field with a smile on his face. At least for that moment, he could careless what the score is. This goes for kids on both sides. 

Edited by football_is_life
  • Upvote 2