• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeDB

Game announcing

It's the one thing not many people think about until you go to a game with the overly annoying announcer.  I would say for 75% of games the announcing is fine.  It's those other few games where the announcer either thinks he's Don Pardo reincarnated or better yet, you have an announcer who does play by play when the ball is live.  I found this extremely annoying at a recent Sagamore Conference game.  With host site restrictions in place during state tournament play (noise makers, banners etc), I wonder if this type of activity would be allowed.  Thoughts?

There is a code of conduct for PA announcers.  You are to give out the information that is necessary, no play by play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

There is a code of conduct for PA announcers.  You are to give out the information that is necessary, no play by play.

Exactly right. I wish this was more widely publicized.

Further, I assume there will be some PA announcers reading this. I’m also going to assume that PA announcers want to do a good job and provide the fans with accurate information. In that vein, two pet peeves of mine:

• There is no “offsides” penalty in high school football ... and hasn’t been for many, many years. If you see a flag and the referee gives signal 18 (both hands on hips), the proper announcement is “encroachment,” not “offsides.”
  • Similarly, there is no penalty called “illegal procedure” in high school. If the referee gives signal 19 (rolling hands), it can be one of several things. If it’s a dead ball foul (which should be preceded by signal 7 - right arm extended straight up), it is a “false start.” If it’s a live ball foul, i.e., the play is allowed to proceed, it’s probably illegal formation. There are some other possibilities, but these two cover 99% of the instances when signal 19 is used.
Edited by bobref
  • Upvote 5

I need to get more versed on the Referee Signals... I thought I knew them....but this year I've been thrown a couple I've never seen before!  Is there a site that has the old fashioned pictures and explanations?

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

Someone needs to share this information with the Southmont announcer or AD.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bobref said:
  • There is no “offsides” penalty in high school football ... and hasn’t been for many, many years. If you see a flag and the referee gives signal 18 (both hands on hips), the proper announcement is “encroachment,” not “offsides.”

What is the effective difference between "offsides" and "encroachment", other than I've always heard one called on the offense and the other called on the defense?

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What is the effective difference between "offsides" and "encroachment", other than I've always heard one called on the offense and the other called on the defense?

There’s no “effective” difference in high school. They are different fouls in NCAA.

Attended a game earlier this season, the PA announcer was almost enough to make me want to leave.  The home team, far superior to the visiting team, started off fast and never took their foot off of the gas.  Each offensive play by the home team was followed by a "Carry by #33 John THE FREIGHT TRAIN Doe for a twenty-three yard gain and a Team *Deleted* firsttttt downnn."  When the defense was on the field "Ball carrier Johnson smothered by a DROVE of Team *Deleted* defenders for NO GAIN."  This carried on even in the fourth quarter when the substitutes littered the field.  It almost makes you want to root against the home team....who am I kidding, it DOES make you root against the home team.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Miner Pride said:

I need to get more versed on the Referee Signals... I thought I knew them....but this year I've been thrown a couple I've never seen before!  Is there a site that has the old fashioned pictures and explanations?

2017_football_rules_book_official_signal

6 minutes ago, bobref said:

2017_football_rules_book_official_signal

Thanks...   signals 23, 28 and 44 threw me this year...!

9 minutes ago, Joe Kane said:

Attended a game earlier this season, the PA announcer was almost enough to make me want to leave.  The home team, far superior to the visiting team, started off fast and never took their foot off of the gas.  Each offensive play by the home team was followed by a "Carry by #33 John THE FREIGHT TRAIN Doe for a twenty-three yard gain and a Team *Deleted* firsttttt downnn."  When the defense was on the field "Ball carrier Johnson smothered by a DROVE of Team *Deleted* defenders for NO GAIN."  This carried on even in the fourth quarter when the substitutes littered the field.  It almost makes you want to root against the home team....who am I kidding, it DOES make you root against the home team.  

I heard of something similar that took place at a sectional volleyball game last year.  It got to the point the announcer was getting in the visiting team's heads.  If I had been in attendance, I would have lost my mind and the announcer and the up ref would have heard it from me.   

Or the announcer that only announces good plays for the home team (long run, completed pass, sack, TD, etc.) but is silent when the visiting team does anything of note.  We play a school like this and when we're at their place, a handful of our fans do the announcing for our side of the field with old cheerleader's megaphones.

Aaaaand, slightly OT, but still annoying to me are slow scoreboard operators.  I'm not talking about guys that run the clock fast/slow to benefit their team (you know it happens), but stuff of the following variety:

Team scores a TD and kicks extra point.  When they are ready to kick off, the score still hasn't been updated.

Team gets say an 8 yard run on 1st down.  Teams line up for 2nd down (2nd & 2), chain crew has advanced the down marker but scoreboard still shows 1st & 10.

Team has 1 time out remaining, scoreboard still shows 3.

Ashamed as I am to say this, our operator(s) is guilty of this almost weekly.  Many time fans end up turning around and hollering at them to update the board.

Sorry for the drift, that topic just came to mind.

Edited by Bonecrusher

I think Dave Lindsey does a tremendous job here at Ben Davis. The two times I've filled in for him have given me an appreciation for the difficulty of the job.

2 hours ago, BigTimeDB said:

We have had similar questions about the "play by play" at Southmont.  When an announcer declares the quarterback drops back to pass, declares a hand-off, or maybe even announces a reverse, does it give the defense an advantage?  It seems like it shouldn't be allowed.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Woodyball7175 said:

We have had similar questions about the "play by play" at Southmont.  When an announcer declares the quarterback drops back to pass, declares a hand-off, or maybe even announces a reverse, does it give the defense an advantage?  It seems like it shouldn't be allowed.

A word to the IHSAA should fix that. But I’d try the AD first.

4 hours ago, Woodyball7175 said:

No dog in the fight, but is he doing radio at the same time?:08_v:

• Upvote 1

I would ad Local radio broadcaster to the annoying list, especially when two local teams play each other and the Bias for one over the other makes me want to puke. And how about having to listen to the coaches on top of the press box? give me a break.

Used to play a team in bball whose announcer would wait until the visiting player got the ball to shot a FT before announcing the shooter and who the foul was on but when the hose team would shoot  surprisingly had time to get it all announced before they got the ball

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BigTimeDB said:

FACT! 

11 hours ago, iubirdman said:

Used to play a team in bball whose announcer would wait until the visiting player got the ball to shot a FT before announcing the shooter and who the foul was on but when the hose team would shoot  surprisingly had time to get it all announced before they got the ball

Dirty

11 hours ago, iubirdman said:

I gotta be honest... I love it lol.  That's hilarious.  Quite the gamesmenship ... but also inappropriate and shouldn't be done.

22 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Or the announcer that only announces good plays for the home team (long run, completed pass, sack, TD, etc.) but is silent when the visiting team does anything of note.

I don't disagree with the home announcer here.  I mean, maybe announcing "Touchdown 'insert visiting team'", but I don't think the home press box announcer has to give credit to an opposing team's player for a sack.

At one of our games this year we had the home coach request that we throw a flag on his team because the announcer was so bad that he couldn't communicate with his players.  I think he got tired after halftime because we didn't actually have to throw the flag, he quieted down a little.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, ED78 said:

I would ad Local radio broadcaster to the annoying list, especially when two local teams play each other and the Bias for one over the other makes me want to puke. And how about having to listen to the coaches on top of the press box? give me a break.

When listening to the RCHS KV game this year. I was listening for coach nug. Those announcers are a treat. 

3 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I gotta be honest... I love it lol.  That's hilarious.  Quite the gamesmenship ... but also inappropriate and shouldn't be done.

I don't disagree with the home announcer here.  I mean, maybe announcing "Touchdown 'insert visiting team'", but I don't think the home press box announcer has to give credit to an opposing team's player for a sack.

I don't have a problem with comments like "and that's good enough for a (insert home team name) 1st down".  This is what is said at our home games, not over the top at all. 

On 10/12/2017 at 10:31 PM, iubirdman said:

I've been doing basketball PA for about 20 years, and this would make me sick. I take my embellishments, but I would never want a fan to leave the gym feeling that I disrespected their team like this.

By the way, the new guidance (maybe 2-3 years old) from NFHS prohibits us from announcing the number of free throw shots or the number of fouls on a player. It also explicitly says that we're supposed to be neutral as announcers. Of course, it doesn't get followed or enforced. 

Basketball announcer responsibilities from NFHS...Just FYI.

https://www.nfhs.org/media/885875/announcer-responsibilities1.pdf

Edited by BDGiant93