• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Most Annoying Offensive Trend

I was at the Hilliard Bradley - Dublin Sciota game last week in Columbus, Ohio and endured the most annoying trend that is affecting this great game of high school football.

Neither team utilized a huddle throughout the game.  The linemen walk up to the line, drop into a semi squat position, and look over at the sidelines, along with the QB and the running backs, to get the play from the staff.  

Really slows down the game, as the teams feel the need to milk every second out of the play clock that they possibly can.

Makes me really appreciate these great traditional rushing attacks that many Indiana schools are still using.

These so called "offensive geniuses" have overly complicated a fairly simple game.  Another reason why the current version of this game is much less fun and entertaining than its previous versions.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We stopped huddling last year, not for tempo focus but with Indiana adopting the 40 sec clock (which I LOVE) we feel its the best way to get the play call in from the sideline with our wristband system and be able to adjust if need to before snap of ball if we want to change a play.   

When we played over in Illinois this year the usage of the 25 sec clock was just not as good.  Waiting on officials to set the ball then wind the play clock... seemed like it took forever.  

Your boys in LaPorte are running their full house out of no huddle by the way :02_v:

• Upvote 2

I understand the no huddle concept.  What I dont quite get is why do the offensive linemen need to go into this goofy crouch and also wait on the call. 

Everybody is looking over at the sideline like there was a car wreck.  :07_v: 

I was watching the linemen and they just don't seem to get "comfortable and set" coming out of the crouch as they would coming out of a traditional huddle.

I dont like it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

LaPorte are running their full house out of no huddle by the way :02_v:

Which I LOVE. Keeps the momentum moving.

I agree it is annoying. Another  somewhat annoying thing that has been going on for a long time as well 'in my opinion ' is that rarely do we see qb's under center these days  but that trend has been around  for a decade or so at least now.   I never agreed that todays game was that much different than previous era's and qb's under center wouldn't work anymore  .

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I understand the no huddle concept.  What I dont quite get is why do the offensive linemen need to go into this goofy crouch and also wait on the call. 

Everybody is looking over at the sideline like there was a car wreck.  :07_v: 

I was watching the linemen and they just don't seem to get "comfortable and set" coming out of the crouch as they would coming out of a traditional huddle.

I dont like it.

You see the prairie Dogs I call them of Crete Monee:   Last 2 years we get that film in prep for West Lafayette.    

OL:  crouch:  then all in unison they pop up like prairie dogs then pop back down into a stance.   Makes me giggle 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

You see the prairie Dogs I call them of Crete Monee:   Last 2 years we get that film in prep for West Lafayette.    

OL:  crouch:  then all in unison they pop up like prairie dogs then pop back down into a stance.   Makes me giggle 

Old Dallas Cowboys stuff. Western under Jim Plummer did the same thing.  It was always good for at least one offsides penalty on our kids.  They would see it all week and then jump on game night the first time it happened.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

I agree it is annoying. Another  somewhat annoying thing that has been going on for a long time as well 'in my opinion ' is that rarely do we see qb's under center these days  but that trend has been around  for a decade or so at least now.   I never agreed that todays game was that much different than previous era's and qb's under center wouldn't work anymore  .

I don't mind the shotgun and not being under center with the exception of goal to go situations. I have watched numerous times a team have the ball on the 3 or the 1 and they go into shotgun. It drives me insane, but it is what it is I guess.

• Upvote 1

Four Yards And A Cloud Of Dust.......

Three Things Can Happen When You Pass The Ball, And Two Of Them Are Bad.......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I don't mind the shotgun and not being under center with the exception of goal to go situations. I have watched numerous times a team have the ball on the 3 or the 1 and they go into shotgun. It drives me insane, but it is what it is I guess.

One thing is for sure, if you're a gun team and want to get under center for goal-to-go situations, you better get your fair share of reps in during practice....and it's hard to replicate the intensity of the situation in practice.  

Just don't spike it out of shotgun. get that dreaded intentional grounding.  Happened last week up this way in the NCC 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I was at the Hilliard Bradley - Dublin Sciota game last week in Columbus, Ohio and endured the most annoying trend that is affecting this great game of high school football.

Neither team utilized a huddle throughout the game.  The linemen walk up to the line, drop into a semi squat position, and look over at the sidelines, along with the QB and the running backs, to get the play from the staff.  

Really slows down the game, as the teams feel the need to milk every second out of the play clock that they possibly can.

Makes me really appreciate these great traditional rushing attacks that many Indiana schools are still using.

These so called "offensive geniuses" have overly complicated a fairly simple game.  Another reason why the current version of this game is much less fun and entertaining than its previous versions.

We do this, and many times end up burning precious time-outs as the coaches are still doing signals with 5 or 6 seconds left on the clock.  How friggin long does it take to signal a running play that goes up the middle?

What we don't do, and what a few of our opponents do, aaaaand what I wish we would do, is script 5 or 6 plays.  I've seen this done at opportune times during a couple games.  All of a sudden, the opposition is right back at the line, and the D barely has time to get set before the ball is snapped.  Probably takes some coordination during the week, but a good way to get a D back on their heels if you execute it right.  The kids get up from the previous play, check the wrist bands, line up (and wait on refs) and go!

Edited by Bonecrusher

40 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Just don't spike it out of shotgun. get that dreaded intentional grounding.  Happened last week up this way in the NCC 

Or spike it behind you.

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I take exception with your comments....

I think they resemble ‘meerkats’ rather than prairie dogs. Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Ole Dallas Cowboys esqe. 

Please!!!!!!!!!!  Bring back more true triple option football. 

Plus, under HFB coach Brad Stewart at KV, we were a heavy wishbone/flex bone team that maybe passed 5 times a game. Sometimes we needed to. Other times to work on things. Other times bc we wanted to. We would huddle.  We would sprint to line  we would get set.  99% of time we went on 1.

We were quite competitive (by KV previous years standards and our schedule) in our time there (11-15.  Coach was there as assistant during 10. I came aboard in 12). The natives didn't always like this even the year we were tri champs of the NCC w Andrean and Hobart. I feel we were trending in the correct direction. Things happened. Coach left. New regime in. New regime is passing way more. I believe I heard KVs new regime is using an Oregon type style (boards bands etc). 

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Upvote 1

New regime lost to Highland last week.  Not very good.  KV really should be trending up.  They lost all that mo from a few years back.  Too bad.  

51 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

New regime lost to Highland last week.  Not very good.  KV really should be trending up.  They lost all that mo from a few years back.  Too bad.  

They did lose to Highland last week, 22-20. 

We were definitely trending up. 

Many bad and sad things happened. There were just too many I's and not enough we's. Many things we couldn't control as coaches.

Feel free to pm  

1 minute ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Teams not taking a knee when up 35+:17_v:

I'm missin muda and the run up the score thread again. .. . . .

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Ben Davis almost never huddles and I think Taylor does a lot of defense reading at the line. 

3rd down in 20 accepting failure and handing the ball off for a 2 yard gain, hate that

19 minutes ago, Royal Pride said:

3rd down in 20 accepting failure and handing the ball off for a 2 yard gain, hate that

I disagree. There are plenty of reasons to run the ball in that situation.

A short letter to Coach Brad Stewart and Coach E and all the assistants of that regime,

Thank you for your tireless efforts to turn around the Kankakee Valley football program. I grew up in the area, still live in the area, and I have always followed high school sports. I love the purity of amateur sports and have paid close attention to KV since I was a wee youngin'.

You guys did a fantastic job in your efforts despite the climate that makes it so hard to coach football at KV. The 8-2 season when you guys knocked off  Hobart, Lowell, Munster, and Rensselaer Central, was magical for us local fans we have never had a season beating so many strong programs in one year. Even though it ended in a tough loss to Hobart you brought a lot of hope and enthusiasm. I'm saddened  to see we lost coach Stewart and his staff and instead gained a novice coach who in my mind did not deserve to be the top man without a little more seasoning.

Thank you again

57 minutes ago, silvertone1696 said:

A short letter to Coach Brad Stewart and Coach E and all the assistants of that regime,

Thank you for your tireless efforts to turn around the Kankakee Valley football program. I grew up in the area, still live in the area, and I have always followed high school sports. I love the purity of amateur sports and have paid close attention to KV since I was a wee youngin'.

You guys did a fantastic job in your efforts despite the climate that makes it so hard to coach football at KV. The 8-2 season when you guys knocked off  Hobart, Lowell, Munster, and Rensselaer Central, was magical for us local fans we have never had a season beating so many strong programs in one year. Even though it ended in a tough loss to Hobart you brought a lot of hope and enthusiasm. I'm saddened  to see we lost coach Stewart and his staff and instead gained a novice coach who in my mind did not deserve to be the top man without a little more seasoning.

Thank you again

You are quite welcome. It was my pleasure. 

• Upvote 1