• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Rebeldad

Cathedral vs Roncalli

Recommended Posts

Been awhile since these two have gone at it.  2012 was the last time I believe that they faced off.  Saw my oldest son go 3-2 against Cathedral from 2003-2005 with those 2 big sectional wins in 04 and 05.  Tables turned and saw my youngest go 0-6 against the Irish from 06-08 to include 3 playoff loses.  

What do we see in this game?  Certainly Cathedral is more athletic with what at least what (5) Division One players.  Linebackers might just be the best in the state?  Having Division 1 QB (Kentucky?), Center (Michigan) and Running Back (Notre Dame) will certainly be a challenge for the Rebel D-Line and Linebackers.   The D-Line of the Rebels and Linebackers are certainly a Rebel Strength. 

As stated in the paper, Rebels a little banged up, but what team is not this time of year.  Certainly Rebel QB Gore has to be close to 100% for Rebels to get the W.  

Sagarin has Irish as 8.5 favorite (6.5 in rating plus 2 points for home field advantage).   From what I have seen this season, that seems accurate.  

Certainly like what Coach Marsh has done in his first year with the Rebels.  Can he get the first win for the Rebels against the Irish since 2005?  I think so. 

Prediction:  Rebels 38 Irish 35.  Go Rebels! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was totally onboard the Rebel train until Decatur Central.  DC is a quality football team, but beating up on Mid-State opponents just doesn't impress me. Perhaps Roncalli just had a bad night?

That being said I think The Irish are beatable. Beatable by in-state 5A opposition. And Roncalli has shown they belong in this conversation. Win the turnover battle and you'll be right there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I was totally onboard the Rebel train until Decatur Central.  DC is a quality football team, but beating up on Mid-State opponents just doesn't impress me. Perhaps Roncalli just had a bad night?

That being said I think The Irish are beatable. Beatable by in-state 5A opposition. And Roncalli has shown they belong in this conversation. Win the turnover battle and you'll be right there.

If Roncalli didn't tourn the ball over vs D.C., the outcome prob would have been different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope both teams are at full strength for this one.   But I doubt that Dajon Collins will play in this one but Markese Stepp should play for the Irish.  As usual both sides will be fired up and I hope the Tech stands are full on both sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roncalli has more than enough offense to get the W...The million dollar question is what CHS offense and defense will show up....Up and down all year long.....Markese coming back definitely helps to stabilize some things...Daijon lining up on the other side will be helpful as well...Rebels needs a shootout..

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IRishParent said:

Roncalli has more than enough offense to get the W...The million dollar question is what CHS offense and defense will show up....Up and down all year long.....Markese coming back definitely helps to stabilize some things...Daijon lining up on the other side will be helpful as well...Rebels needs a shootout..

Agreed.  Markese is scary good.   Hopefully with the new era at Roncalli we will see the Cathedral and Roncalli play in the regular season.  Rebels should drop Scecina (great 2A team), and add Cathedral.  Now back to the game.  I think the game comes down to Rebels stopping Markese and ability of Rebels to throw the ball deep.  Don't like running into the Irish Linebackers. Certain that emotions will be high on both sides.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2017 at 11:05 AM, warren05 said:

Ok it's sad that the Irish will only be playing 1 playoff game. You mean LN is going to beat Warren?

 

1 minute ago, Rebeldad said:

Agreed.  Markese is scary good.   Hopefully with the new era at Roncalli we will see the Cathedral and Roncalli play in the regular season.  Rebels should drop Scecina (great 2A team), and add Cathedral.  Now back to the game.  I think the game comes down to Rebels stopping Markese and ability of Rebels to throw the ball deep.  Don't like running into the Irish Linebackers. Certain that emotions will be high on both sides.  

They definitely will be able to throw the ball deep...That wont be an issue at all...

2 minutes ago, Rebeldad said:

Agreed.  Markese is scary good.   Hopefully with the new era at Roncalli we will see the Cathedral and Roncalli play in the regular season.  Rebels should drop Scecina (great 2A team), and add Cathedral.  Now back to the game.  I think the game comes down to Rebels stopping Markese and ability of Rebels to throw the ball deep.  Don't like running into the Irish Linebackers. Certain that emotions will be high on both sides.  

Did the Roncalli qb get hurt?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IRishParent said:

 

They definitely will be able to throw the ball deep...That wont be an issue at all...

Did the Roncalli qb get hurt?

The paper said he was banged up, but I hear he should be able to go in two weeks.  Glad we got the bye.   Would have preferred for it to be against Tech, but we all know that just like Cathedral and Roncalli being in the same sectional (never knew that Cathedral was South of New Palestine) we knew that the Balls were going to come up Cathedral and Roncalli.  Just surprised it was not in the first round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many games does Roncalli win playing Cathedral's schedule? How many games does Cathedral win playing Roncalli's schedule?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I was totally onboard the Rebel train until Decatur Central.  DC is a quality football team, but beating up on Mid-State opponents just doesn't impress me. Perhaps Roncalli just had a bad night?

That being said I think The Irish are beatable. Beatable by in-state 5A opposition. And Roncalli has shown they belong in this conversation. Win the turnover battle and you'll be right there.

Tend to agree with you on both counts.  That said, I think Decatur Central has a legit shot of coming out of the South and is better than I previously gave them credit for.  5A South is an awfully tough way to get to LOS this year.

3 hours ago, 7979 said:

How many games does Roncalli win playing Cathedral's schedule? How many games does Cathedral win playing Roncalli's schedule?

I guess you could play it out game by game on CalPreps if you wanted to try to compare (since it includes "in and out" of state games).  That said, it has Roncalli #1 and Cathedral #2 but there is a hair-breadth separating them.

Legitimately, this is the "game of the week" next week  - both ranked in the Top 10 overall per CalPreps (#7 and #8 respectively) as well.  BTW, the Evansville Central/Evansville Reitz game in 4A next week is the clear 4A game of the week.

Edited by Lysander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2017 at 3:11 PM, Rebeldad said:

Been awhile since these two have gone at it.  2012 was the last time I believe that they faced off.  Saw my oldest son go 3-2 against Cathedral from 2003-2005 with those 2 big sectional wins in 04 and 05.  Tables turned and saw my youngest go 0-6 against the Irish from 06-08 to include 3 playoff loses.  

What do we see in this game?  Certainly Cathedral is more athletic with what at least what (5) Division One players.  Linebackers might just be the best in the state?  Having Division 1 QB (Kentucky?), Center (Michigan) and Running Back (Notre Dame) will certainly be a challenge for the Rebel D-Line and Linebackers.   The D-Line of the Rebels and Linebackers are certainly a Rebel Strength. 

As stated in the paper, Rebels a little banged up, but what team is not this time of year.  Certainly Rebel QB Gore has to be close to 100% for Rebels to get the W.  

Sagarin has Irish as 8.5 favorite (6.5 in rating plus 2 points for home field advantage).   From what I have seen this season, that seems accurate.  

Certainly like what Coach Marsh has done in his first year with the Rebels.  Can he get the first win for the Rebels against the Irish since 2005?  I think so. 

Prediction:  Rebels 38 Irish 35.  Go Rebels! 

 

 

Tough to judge completely with both teams not having played each other. This however is a small comparison between the 2 teams just on the eyeball test.

Roncalli Run Offense vs Cathedral Run Defense = Advantage Cathedral

Roncalli Pass Offense vs Cathedral Pass Defense = Advantage Roncalli

Cathedral Run Offense vs Roncalli Run Defense = Advantage Cathedral

Cathedral Pass Offense vs Roncalli Pass Defense = Advantage Roncalli (this might be more even if WR Collins were healthy for CHS)

Roncalli Special Teams vs Cathedral Special Teams = Even (After poor punting in the St. X OH game I might have given a slight edge to Roncalli but punting has been much better).

It will definitely come down to which teams units will come through and have a great game. Will Roncalli's run offense and run defense step up and play spectacular? Will Cathedral's pass offense and pass defense step up and play spectacular. 

As always turnovers will be a big key for a game like this where emotions will be high for both teams. Both teams are pretty solid in that aspect.

Cathedral 6 total Offensive turnovers = 4 Int's (only 2 by starting QB) and 2 fumbles lost

Cathedral 11 total turnovers created by the defense = 7 Int's and 4 fumbles recovered

Roncalli 2 total Offensive turnovers = 2 Int's and 0 fumbles lost

Roncalli 15 total turnovers created by the defense = 11 Int's and 4 fumbles recovered

It will be a spectacular game on Oct. 27th! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the winner of the Roncalli - Cathedral game make it to the state final game?  Are they favorite to win?  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be interesting to see how much of a "rivalry" feel this game has. Great playoff game, yes, rivalry game? Not so sure. I believe the current seniors would have been in the 7th or 8th grade the last time these two teams met in a varsity matchup. The coaches, fans, alumni can all preach about the rivalry but it's different for the players who will be playing for the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

Will the winner of the Roncalli - Cathedral game make it to the state final game?  Are they favorite to win?  

I am not so sure they would definitively make it to the State Finals. They will be a contender to be there for sure. You still have Decatur Central (in the sectional) and Columbus East from the South. In the North. Contenders from the North are LaPorte, Michigan City, Concord, and New Palestine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 7979 said:

How many games does Roncalli win playing Cathedral's schedule? How many games does Cathedral win playing Roncalli's schedule?

 

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

I guess you could play it out game by game on CalPreps if you wanted to try to compare (since it includes "in and out" of state games).  That said, it has Roncalli #1 and Cathedral #2 but there is a hair-breadth separating them.

I don't think it matters much who would win with each others schedule and that is definitely all hypothetical. You can use CalPreps for predictions but it would be purely hypothetical and wouldn't mean much. Both are fantastic 5A teams and contenders for the State Finals but not guaranteed regardless of who wins this game. See below for CalPreps projections:

Roncalli (4-5)

@ Louisville St. Xavier = L 31-27

@ Detroit King (MI) = W 28-27

@ Pickerington Central (OH) = L 31-17

Bishop Chatard (IN) = W 27-20 (actual W 21-7)

@ Cincinnati St. Xavier (OH) = L 40-12

Jeffersonville (IN) = W 52-7

@ Ryle Union (KY) = W 35-22

Lakewood St. Edward's (OH) = L 38-17

Center Grove (IN) = L 21-20

Cathedral (9-0)

Southport (IN) = W 31-12

Franklin Central (IN) = W 28-21

@ Bishop Chatard (IN) = W 27-19 (actual W 34-14)

Plainfield (IN) = W 44-21

@ Scecina Memorial (IN) = W 38-12

Brebeuf Jesuit (IN) = W 31-14

@ Fishers (IN) = W 28-14

@ Decatur Central (IN) = 31-28

Guerin Catholic (IN) = W 35-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Will be interesting to see how much of a "rivalry" feel this game has. Great playoff game, yes, rivalry game? Not so sure. I believe the current seniors would have been in the 7th or 8th grade the last time these two teams met in a varsity matchup. The coaches, fans, alumni can all preach about the rivalry but it's different for the players who will be playing for the first time.

They have still been playing each other at the JV and Freshman levels from what I've seen. I think the players are well aware of the rivalry from that andvplaying other sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

They have still been playing each other at the JV and Freshman levels from what I've seen. I think the players are well aware of the rivalry from that andvplaying other sports.

The Cathedral players know full well about the rivalry and what's at stake.  I'm sure the same is true for the Roncalli players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Tough to judge completely with both teams not having played each other. This however is a small comparison between the 2 teams just on the eyeball test.

Roncalli Run Offense vs Cathedral Run Defense = Advantage Cathedral

Roncalli Pass Offense vs Cathedral Pass Defense = Advantage Roncalli

Cathedral Run Offense vs Roncalli Run Defense = Advantage Cathedral

Cathedral Pass Offense vs Roncalli Pass Defense = Advantage Roncalli (this might be more even if WR Collins were healthy for CHS)

Roncalli Special Teams vs Cathedral Special Teams = Even (After poor punting in the St. X OH game I might have given a slight edge to Roncalli but punting has been much better).

It will definitely come down to which teams units will come through and have a great game. Will Roncalli's run offense and run defense step up and play spectacular? Will Cathedral's pass offense and pass defense step up and play spectacular. 

As always turnovers will be a big key for a game like this where emotions will be high for both teams. Both teams are pretty solid in that aspect.

Cathedral 6 total Offensive turnovers = 4 Int's (only 2 by starting QB) and 2 fumbles lost

Cathedral 11 total turnovers created by the defense = 7 Int's and 4 fumbles recovered

Roncalli 2 total Offensive turnovers = 2 Int's and 0 fumbles lost

Roncalli 15 total turnovers created by the defense = 11 Int's and 4 fumbles recovered

It will be a spectacular game on Oct. 27th! 

I think your eyeball test is pretty accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the Fryar kid doing for Roncalli?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The TW said:

He is no longer there.

Where did he go?  Is his dad still coaching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grover said:

Where did he go?  Is his dad still coaching?

This is Jeff Fryar who played at LN after being at CG and then started on line at IU, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rag doll said:

This is Jeff Fryar who played at LN after being at CG and then started on line at IU, right?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Grover said:

Yes

Man does that bit of news make me feel old!:13_v:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 2:40 PM, rag doll said:

This is Jeff Fryar who played at LN after being at CG and then started on line at IU, right?

Jeff Fryar is coaching OL at Beech Grove and his youngest son Josh is a sophomore for the Hornets.  Oldest son Jacob is a freshman playing at Marian.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.