• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
Blu93

My opinion on the ongoing tournament debate - Bowl Games

What it we scrapped the tournament and just had a bowl season lasting 2-3 weeks?  Most matchups would be predetermined by the conference standings so it would prevent facoritism.  

Week 1

Week one will consist of the majority of bowl games, being based on records, locations, conference standings, and so forth.  For instance, NIC runner up and NLC runner up for this first week would be a fun game.  It would be stat based games and they are typically the lower bowls.  The first week would be Holiday Bowl level games.  They are mostly teams that just qualified without doing much spectacular.  The bowl games would be at a neutral site for the most part.  They would be a reasonable distance, usually not far from either team.  They would be sponsored by local businesses.  Some local ones may have random teams to get them a bowl game when they qualified.  This is like a bye week for the teams who went 9-0 or 8-1 or 7-2.  

Week 2 - Solution 1

Week two will consist of interconference games between the champions of each conference.  Conference champs will still be decided in the regular season.  Conferences will agree with each other beforehand which tie ins will occur.  For example, the NIC champion could play the Duneland champion if both conferences agree to do so.  This tie in would apply to every conference in the state and it can change year by year as long as the IHSAA is notified and schedules it.  It would be exciting to watch Penn square off against Crown Point or Valpo.  

Week 2 - Solution 2

In this scenario, week 2 will be a conference championship week.  Each divisional champion will play the champion of the other division so there are no more ties and shared trophies.  Maybe a bigger venue would be in order.  These games may receive Channel 46, FOX Indiana, WSBT coverage, and so forth.  This satisfies me because conference ties are my pet peeve.

Week 3

Week three will be the state championship week.  The number 1 and 2 teams from each class will play.  We can base this off of the sagarin ratings (we could probably base some earlier bowls on it for that matter) to ensure there is no bias.  There will still be the same schedule as far as games go.  They will still be played in Lucas Oil Stadium with very little changing at the state level other than the fact it'll be played in late October other than late November.

I was worn out by the middle of the first paragraph.  :07_v:

• Upvote 1

But sometimes. blind "luck" will arise.  Take Sectional 17 for instance: Lowell (Northwest Crossroads Champions and #1 4A) got a great draw.  Gary West in the first round at the Inferno, before a very winnable second round matchup which could ultimately lead to a winner take all sectional championship game against Griffith.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

To have a solution, there must be a problem

as opposed to DT who finds a problem for every solution.

30 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I was worn out by the middle of the first paragraph.  :07_v:

Pot calling the kettle black

With that being said, I appreciate being the devils advocate for the sake of stirring up conversation/debate, I have been known to do that in life as well, and I do have to give DT some credit, although I agree with less than 25% of his ramblings, he has spurred some extra reading/activity in recent days. 

I just wish he would save some of the debate for the off season rather than the middle of playoff time lol!

I like the fact that @Blu93 has been involved in more of these types of conversations lately, as a youngster in High School it impresses me that you at least care enough to put your thoughts out there and debate with the old timers.  Maybe one of these days you can help change the opinion of some of these posters on us Millenials (I think I'm technically a Millenial Elder being born in 82).

30 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

as opposed to DT who finds a problem for every solution.

Pot calling the kettle black

With that being said, I appreciate being the devils advocate for the sake of stirring up conversation/debate, I have been known to do that in life as well, and I do have to give DT some credit, although I agree with less than 25% of his ramblings, he has spurred some extra reading/activity in recent days. 

I just wish he would save some of the debate for the off season rather than the middle of playoff time lol!

I like the fact that @Blu93 has been involved in more of these types of conversations lately, as a youngster in High School it impresses me that you at least care enough to put your thoughts out there and debate with the old timers.  Maybe one of these days you can help change the opinion of some of these posters on us Millenials (I think I'm technically a Millenial Elder being born in 82).

DT will have plenty of material to keep the off season interesting.

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

DT will have plenty of material to keep the off season interesting.

Thats a big assumption.  DT has a long record of forum banishments.  Close to double digits.  Enjoy it while it lasts:16_v:

I think you do a Elite Eight style deal for every class.

Week 1 would be the lower level bowls

Week 2 would be Conference Championships

Week 3 could be the "Quarterfinals" Bowls

Week 4 would be the Final Four

Week 5 would be state championships

5 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

I have no faith in the sagarin identifying the 2 best teams for each class.

I trust it over most anything excepting CalPreps at this point (the fact out of state games aren't part of the measurement is problematic).  My sense is that by the Sectional finals Sagarin will be fairly close to on point.

To be clear, I'm an "All-In" guy.  Seed the first couple of teams in Sectional and let it play out from there.

Let's also be clear AP is a huge joke...IFCA only marginally better.  Not like a I haven't said that 10,000 times already.

Edited by Lysander

6 hours ago, Blu93 said:

What it we scrapped the tournament and just had a bowl season lasting 2-3 weeks?  Most matchups would be predetermined by the conference standings so it would prevent facoritism.  

Week 1

Week one will consist of the majority of bowl games, being based on records, locations, conference standings, and so forth.  For instance, NIC runner up and NLC runner up for this first week would be a fun game.  It would be stat based games and they are typically the lower bowls.  The first week would be Holiday Bowl level games.  They are mostly teams that just qualified without doing much spectacular.  The bowl games would be at a neutral site for the most part.  They would be a reasonable distance, usually not far from either team.  They would be sponsored by local businesses.  Some local ones may have random teams to get them a bowl game when they qualified.  This is like a bye week for the teams who went 9-0 or 8-1 or 7-2.  

Week 2 - Solution 1

Week two will consist of interconference games between the champions of each conference.  Conference champs will still be decided in the regular season.  Conferences will agree with each other beforehand which tie ins will occur.  For example, the NIC champion could play the Duneland champion if both conferences agree to do so.  This tie in would apply to every conference in the state and it can change year by year as long as the IHSAA is notified and schedules it.  It would be exciting to watch Penn square off against Crown Point or Valpo.  

Week 2 - Solution 2

In this scenario, week 2 will be a conference championship week.  Each divisional champion will play the champion of the other division so there are no more ties and shared trophies.  Maybe a bigger venue would be in order.  These games may receive Channel 46, FOX Indiana, WSBT coverage, and so forth.  This satisfies me because conference ties are my pet peeve.

Week 3

Week three will be the state championship week.  The number 1 and 2 teams from each class will play.  We can base this off of the sagarin ratings (we could probably base some earlier bowls on it for that matter) to ensure there is no bias.  There will still be the same schedule as far as games go.  They will still be played in Lucas Oil Stadium with very little changing at the state level other than the fact it'll be played in late October other than late November.

Why so much emphasis on conference champions/conference standings etc?

What about independents? Linton went independent in football with the specific purpose in mind of upgrading its schedule 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I trust it over most anything excepting CalPreps at this point (the fact out of state games aren't part of the measurement is problematic).  My sense is that by the Sectional finals Sagarin will be fairly close to on point.

To be clear, I'm an "All-In" guy.  Seed the first couple of teams in Sectional and let it play out from there.

Let's also be clear AP is a huge joke...IFCA only marginally better.  Not like a I haven't said that 10,000 times already.

The AP voters are ignorant of any team not within 15 miles of where they are from.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

The AP voters are ignorant of any team not within 15 miles of where they are from.

Agreed...and coaches have a LOT of other more important things to do (yet they seem to get it much better)

22 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Agreed...and coaches have a LOT of other more important things to do (yet they seem to get it much better)

Maybe.  But they did put a below .500 2A team in the final 1A poll.  :15_v:

• Haha 1

To be clear...both polls are dumpster fires..  

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 1

Bowl system = participation award. 

No one wants, they want chance to be a "champion" and playoff/tourney system is best way of doing. 

Oh sure. There's nothing more fair to determine which two teams get to play for a championship than a computer using mathematics formulas or a biased group of people. The all-in format is far from perfect but it definitely beats a bowl system. At least it leaves it up to the teams to play the game and decide.

• Like 1

I've floated a similar idea on here before (several times).  Go to a 10 week season.  192 teams make the playoffs.  The others get a bye week followed by the chance to play an opponent of their choosing on the Saturday of Sectional finals.  You could host them at different locations around the state with 3-4 games per location.

The plus side, all teams get to practice for at least 12 game weeks instead of the 10 roughly half get now.  Also, bad teams get to have a fun road trip experience playing against either a rival or team of similar ability instead of getting their doors blown off.  Integrity of the tournament remains.