• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Nittany Lions vs. Buckeyes: Who Ya’ Got?

33 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Harbaugh is a better fit in Chicago than Indy.  

The city fits his style.  He is an outdoors guy.  A mucker.  Indy too soft.  

But you agree, you think he's gone after this year?  And I agree he's not a good fit for Indy but it will splash and after Caldwell and Pagano being relatively mild excitement hires, I see Irsay wanting the splash.

9 minutes ago, bowwowindy1 said:

But you agree, you think he's gone after this year?  And I agree he's not a good fit for Indy but it will splash and after Caldwell and Pagano being relatively mild excitement hires, I see Irsay wanting the splash.

I would be shocked if he left Michigan.  He has always left his prior coaching jobs at a high point.  He has not accomplished anything at UM yet.   If he does leave , he will not go to another university.  he will either retire, go in to media, or to the NFL.  He is a big market guy, and has no ties to New York.  He has strong ties to Chicago (Midwest guy, played for the Bears) and LA (coached at Stanford and SF 49ers.  LA Rams have a good young coach.  Never heard of the LA Chargers coach (Anthony Lynn)  They are building new 2 Billion stadium in LA for Rams and Chargers.  

I still think Chicago best fit.  Fox will retire after this season.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

I would be shocked if he left Michigan.  He has always left his prior coaching jobs at a high point.  He has not accomplished anything at UM yet.   If he does leave , he will not go to another university.  he will either retire, go in to media, or to the NFL.  He is a big market guy, and has no ties to New York.  He has strong ties to Chicago (Midwest guy, played for the Bears) and LA (coached at Stanford and SF 49ers.  LA Rams have a good young coach.  Never heard of the LA Chargers coach (Anthony Lynn)  They are building new 2 Billion stadium in LA for Rams and Chargers.  

If hem goes to the Bears, the first years will be tough sledding.  Green Bay will have Rodgers back along with his usual brilliance.  Minnesota has a tough defense, and Detroit is showing some flashes of decency.

Fox is the perfect guy to coach these young Bear players thru their first few years in the league.  The next coach will inherit a more experienced roster.  Trubisky is Harbaugh's kind of guy.  I think they will click immediately.  

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I expected much more from you counselor.  

I am prepared to make my case for Harbaugh.  What is yours against?  In detail please.  

I don’t like him. And I don’t need more of a reason than that.

6 minutes ago, bobref said:

I don’t like him. And I don’t need more of a reason than that.

No you dont.  Just too lazy to give a response.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, Trojan Dad said:

Nittany Lions......but I am biased.

If the Lions can make Barrett & OSU one dimensional and force him to pass, I really like their chances.  PSU seems to have a more balanced offense.

Not sure I would agree about the balanced offense comment.  I think both defenses are about equal in terms of stopping opposing offenses.  I would expect this to be a VERY low scoring game.  12 - 14 points could be enough to win.  The Buckeyes will NOT lose 2 games at the Shoe in a season.  The Sooners got Ohio State early in week 2 and that is normally when they get beaten.  This time of the year?  They have the momentum and are on a roll.  And I am expecting the Buckeyes to come out passing.  In the past 4 or 5 games, Barrett has been on fire and looking like he did his Freshman year.  If they throw early and are successful, look for Dobbins and/or Webber to get theirs as the game progresses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Why would Fox take on a massive rebuild job just to retire 3 years into the process? Fox is there until the Bears tell him he is no longer their coach.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Not sure I would agree about the balanced offense comment.  I think both defenses are about equal in terms of stopping opposing offenses.  I would expect this to be a VERY low scoring game.  12 - 14 points could be enough to win.  The Buckeyes will NOT lose 2 games at the Shoe in a season.  The Sooners got Ohio State early in week 2 and that is normally when they get beaten.  This time of the year?  They have the momentum and are on a roll.  And I am expecting the Buckeyes to come out passing.  In the past 4 or 5 games, Barrett has been on fire and looking like he did his Freshman year.  If they throw early and are successful, look for Dobbins and/or Webber to get theirs as the game progresses.

I agree both teams have great defenses....I'm just not sure OSU is as balanced as PSU in terms of passing game.  No knock against Barrett, because he is an exceptional athlete.  Just looking at the teams OSU has played the last 5 games, just not sure if that is a predictor of a strong passing game against the likes of a Penn State.  (very different degree of opposition than teams like UNLV, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, etc.)  Also, it will be interesting to see what impact the weather has on the game tomorrow.  

I maybe off based, but I would rather take my chances with Barrett's arm vs. his legs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trojan Dad said:

I agree both teams have great defenses....I'm just not sure OSU is as balanced as PSU in terms of passing game.  No knock against Barrett, because he is an exceptional athlete.  Just looking at the teams OSU has played the last 5 games, just not sure if that is a predictor of a strong passing game against the likes of a Penn State.  (very different degree of opposition than teams like UNLV, Rutgers, Nebraska, Maryland, etc.)  Also, it will be interesting to see what impact the weather has on the game tomorrow.  

I maybe off based, but I would rather take my chances with Barrett's arm vs. his legs.

Thought you might rebuttal with OSU's competition the past few weeks.  The schedule is what it is.  I do have to say that going into Nebraska and embarrassing them like that was an "wicked pleasure".  LOL  And not for one minute would I compare ANY of those teams to Penn State.  I only know that IU held Barkley to 54 yards rushing.  I think we can agree that OSU's defense is a little better than IU's.  However, Michigan's defense was supposed to be much better than IU's and Barkley shredded them.  I've seen 2 Penn State games this year and to me it mostly looked like McSorley handed off to Barkley or looked to pass it to him in space.  I think it is #88 (receiver) that is about the only guy I have seen McSorley throw the ball to other than Barkley.  To me, that isn't very balanced.  Maybe I've just seen too small of a sample size.  Barkley was leading the nation in total offense though.  Don't know if he still is this week or not.  I haven't checked.  I am interested in seeing how well he holds up in this game since he gets so many touches and will get hit a lot. Seen every Ohio State game this year and at times, their defense can bring the punishment (and special teams).  Not dirty cheap shots, just BIG hits.  I'm also interested to see if OSU comes out throwing.  In spite of who (or whom?) they've played, Barrett looks to be more in sync with his receivers since the first couple of weeks in the season.  Whether we disagree or agree, I am expecting this to be a great game.  I was born in Ohio, played football there (high school), and have always been and always will be a Buckeye fan. However, I can still give credit where credit is due.  Penn State isn't the #2 team in the country just because they show up every week.  Their defense is one of the best in the country.  If they falter, I believe it will be their offense that struggles.  On the opposite side of the coin, if they win, I'd have to say the Lions will more than likely make it to the National Championship game.  IMO this game is the Big Ten Championship.  For the past few years I have said the Big Ten has needed 3 teams to get back into national prominence:  Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State.  Penn State is already there.  I'm glad for the conference they are back, just NOT for this game.  LOL

1 hour ago, Trojan Dad said:

Thought you might rebuttal with OSU's competition the past few weeks.  The schedule is what it is.  I do have to say that going into Nebraska and embarrassing them like that was a  "wicked pleasure".  LOL  And not for one minute would I compare ANY of those teams to Penn State.  I only know that IU held Barkley to 54 yards rushing.  I think we can agree that OSU's defense is a little better than IU's.  However, Michigan's defense was supposed to be much better than IU's and Barkley shredded them.  I've seen 2 Penn State games this year and to me it mostly looked like McSorley handed off to Barkley or looked to pass it to him in space.  I think it is #88 (receiver) that is about the only guy I have seen McSorley throw the ball to other than Barkley.  To me, that isn't very balanced.  Maybe I've just seen too small of a sample size.  Barkley was leading the nation in total offense though.  Don't know if he still is this week or not.  I haven't checked.  I am interested in seeing how well he holds up in this game since he gets so many touches and will get hit a lot. Seen every Ohio State game this year and at times, their defense can bring the punishment (and special teams).  Not dirty cheap shots, just BIG hits.  I'm also interested to see if OSU comes out throwing.  In spite of who (or whom?) they've played, Barrett looks to be more in sync with his receivers since the first couple of weeks in the season.  Whether we disagree or agree, I am expecting this to be a great game.  I was born in Ohio, played football there (high school), and have always been and always will be a Buckeye fan. However, I can still give credit where credit is due.  Penn State isn't the #2 team in the country just because they show up every week.  Their defense is one of the best in the country.  If they falter, I believe it will be their offense that struggles.  On the opposite side of the coin, if they win, I'd have to say the Lions will more than likely make it to the National Championship game.  IMO this game is the Big Ten Championship.  For the past few years I have said the Big Ten has needed 3 teams to get back into national prominence:  Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State.  Penn State is already there.  I'm glad for the conference they are back, just NOT for this game.  LOL

49 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Thought you might rebuttal with OSU's competition the past few weeks.  The schedule is what it is.  I do have to say that going into Nebraska and embarrassing them like that was an "wicked pleasure".  LOL  And not for one minute would I compare ANY of those teams to Penn State.  I only know that IU held Barkley to 54 yards rushing.  I think we can agree that OSU's defense is a little better than IU's.  However, Michigan's defense was supposed to be much better than IU's and Barkley shredded them.  I've seen 2 Penn State games this year and to me it mostly looked like McSorley handed off to Barkley or looked to pass it to him in space.  I think it is #88 (receiver) that is about the only guy I have seen McSorley throw the ball to other than Barkley.  To me, that isn't very balanced.  Maybe I've just seen too small of a sample size.  Barkley was leading the nation in total offense though.  Don't know if he still is this week or not.  I haven't checked.  I am interested in seeing how well he holds up in this game since he gets so many touches and will get hit a lot. Seen every Ohio State game this year and at times, their defense can bring the punishment (and special teams).  Not dirty cheap shots, just BIG hits.  I'm also interested to see if OSU comes out throwing.  In spite of who (or whom?) they've played, Barrett looks to be more in sync with his receivers since the first couple of weeks in the season.  Whether we disagree or agree, I am expecting this to be a great game.  I was born in Ohio, played football there (high school), and have always been and always will be a Buckeye fan. However, I can still give credit where credit is due.  Penn State isn't the #2 team in the country just because they show up every week.  Their defense is one of the best in the country.  If they falter, I believe it will be their offense that struggles.  On the opposite side of the coin, if they win, I'd have to say the Lions will more than likely make it to the National Championship game.  IMO this game is the Big Ten Championship.  For the past few years I have said the Big Ten has needed 3 teams to get back into national prominence:  Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State.  Penn State is already there.  I'm glad for the conference they are back, just NOT for this game.  LOL

I have much respect for both programs....and we agree its good for the Big 10 and college football to have Penn State back.  I think it will be an excellent game, and I have difficulty seeing OSU losing 2 games at home in a single season.  Wonder when that has occurred last?

I am not throwing Barrett under the bus with passing, but I am still scared more with his legs and running than anything.  He may flat out prove me wrong, and that certainly wouldn't be the first or the last time I was wrong.  My wife can absolutely testify to that statement!!

Enjoy the game.  Now if we could find a way to move IU out of the Big 10 East.........

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

I have much respect for both programs....and we agree its good for the Big 10 and college football to have Penn State back.  I think it will be an excellent game, and I have difficulty seeing OSU losing 2 games at home in a single season.  Wonder when that has occurred last?

I am not throwing Barrett under the bus with passing, but I am still scared more with his legs and running than anything.  He may flat out prove me wrong, and that certainly wouldn't be the first or the last time I was wrong.  My wife can absolutely testify to that statement!!

Enjoy the game.  Now if we could find a way to move IU out of the Big 10 East.........

Here is how we do it.  To more evenly balance the historical powers in the conference :

Big Ten North

Michigan

Michigan State

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Minnesota

Iowa

Nebraska

Big Ten South

Rutgers

Maryland

Penn State

Ohio State

Indiana

Purdue

Illinois

• Upvote 1

This is the current, played game strength of schedule.  Pretty decent and close for both teams.  

image.png.9141761dbf9fdff2726d9c156dc43fd4.png

Note alabama's inflated rating due to an 8th game.  It will come down when they get a bye week and then still have an FCS game coming up.

59 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

Absolutely!  You enjoy it also. I think these 2 teams almost mirror each other.  Good offenses, great defenses, good special teams, and coaching.  Although I'd give OSU a "very slight" edge in coaching only because Urban has been around longer and has a few more trophies in the case.  I can imagine we'll have a few things to talk about Sunday/Monday.  I can relate to being wrong before and the Mrs. "testifying" to it.  LOL  However, after 36 years of marriage, it just doesn't matter that much any more.  :02_v:

• Upvote 2

Nice call on the "pass interference".  Let's take away the pick and give Penn State another score.  Love the comment, "Penn State is firing on all cylinders".  Pretty easy when it's 16 against 11.

Did I say Saquan Barkley?  Period!

I meant JT Barrett. Period!  Lol

What a great game. 

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Like 1

Unbelievable!!   O - H - _ - _ !!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, bobref said:

Unbelievable!!   O - H - _ - _ !!!!!!!!

I -O !!!

What a game.  Killed me like five times!!!  Thank God for AED.  😂

The Buckeyes made a LOT of mistakes with dropped passes and penalties.  They didn't need any help with a few questionable calls from the officials.  The most blatant was in the 3rd quarter.  It was 3rd and 12 at the 17. Barrett throws a beautiful pass, the defender has his back to the ball with his hand grabbing the receiver's jersey at the neck as the ball is arriving.  No call for PI.  I've watched that play 6 times now.  It was PI and no call.  Buckeyes had to kick a field goal.  Ohio State's offensive line played great when they weren't committing false starts.  Other than his kickoff return and 36 yard TD run, it appeared that Barkley was a non-factor.  But then again, Ohio State's defense had something to do with that.  J.T. Barrett was 33/39 for 326 and 4 TD's.  He also ran 17 times for 95 yards.  Barrett is playing the best football of his career right now.  Barrett breaks the Big Ten record (held by Drew Brees) for most TD passes in a career.  I wouldn't exactly call this a great win.  It was one that Ohio State HAD to have.  If they win out (including B1G championship), then they are in the playoffs.  This was the largest comeback win in Urban's career (18 points).

On 10/24/2017 at 12:13 PM, Boilernation said:

I'll take Penn State. That offense has some serious talent and Moorehead does an outstanding job of play calling. Their D-Line is ridiculously good and will give Barret fits all day. IMO, Barrett folds under pressure and I wouldn't expect much out of him in the passing game unless the WR's pick up a lot of YAC.

This guy was spot on...:15_v:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Boilernation said:

This guy was spot on...:15_v:

You get bonus points for your humility.  :07_v:

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 8:18 AM, itiswhatitis said:

The Buckeyes made a LOT of mistakes with dropped passes and penalties.  They didn't need any help with a few questionable calls from the officials.  The most blatant was in the 3rd quarter.  It was 3rd and 12 at the 17. Barrett throws a beautiful pass, the defender has his back to the ball with his hand grabbing the receiver's jersey at the neck as the ball is arriving.  No call for PI.  I've watched that play 6 times now.  It was PI and no call.  Buckeyes had to kick a field goal.  Ohio State's offensive line played great when they weren't committing false starts.  Other than his kickoff return and 36 yard TD run, it appeared that Barkley was a non-factor.  But then again, Ohio State's defense had something to do with that.  J.T. Barrett was 33/39 for 326 and 4 TD's.  He also ran 17 times for 95 yards.  Barrett is playing the best football of his career right now.  Barrett breaks the Big Ten record (held by Drew Brees) for most TD passes in a career.  I wouldn't exactly call this a great win.  It was one that Ohio State HAD to have.  If they win out (including B1G championship), then they are in the playoffs.  This was the largest comeback win in Urban's career (18 points).

As usual, I was wrong.  Barrett was incredible with his arm.  D and O lines were incredible in the 4th quarter when it mattered the most.  You made the call!!!

4 hours ago, Trojan Dad said:

As usual, I was wrong.  Barrett was incredible with his arm.  D and O lines were incredible in the 4th quarter when it mattered the most.  You made the call!!!

it ain't about who's right or who's wrong, bro.  I've been wrong MANY times.  There were a LOT of people not giving Barrett any or very little credit.  I've watched him practically his entire college career.  That game he had this past weekend was about as good as I've seen him play (all around) especially against a defense as good as Penn State's.  And the Buckeyes NEEDED that game from him.  I've watched the game twice and will have to say again, the line (both sides of the ball) played excellent and was probably the biggest factor in the game.  Hoping that the team now will finish the season and not have any letdowns.  Other than Illinois, they could lose any of their remaining games.  I am planning to get tickets for the B1G championship game on December 2nd.  Hope the Buckeyes are in it this time.  It would be cool (for me) to see their first game of the season (at IU) and their last (B1G title game at Lucas Oil).  Been a crazy season in college football.

I'm thinking, now all this build up last week went for not today. And it doesn't hurt my feelings any. Welcome to the bottom feeders world guys, if its only for 1 week. God, that hawk team did it again. Had penn st  all but beat a few weeks ago, Now they put the business end of a 2x4 on The bucks. Iowa, you are my friend.