• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
kmadderom

Valparaiso Football Coaching Situation

55 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

There has to be more to this story than a single kid who attended a game after being absent from school.  Did that incident really spill over into the following week with multiple players walking out of practice and threatening to quit the team on Thursday according to reports?  The issues continued to Saturday and at some point the administration decided that Coyle should no longer coach the team.  Something significant enough had to happen for the administration to out a coach who just won a conference championship.

This.

1 + 1 isn't adding up to 2 so far.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

I am so lost... A kid showed up late for school on game day and attended the game?  Did he play?  Athletes are upset at the coaches actions?  They refuse to play?  He stepped down? Or was he relieved of his duties?

Everything at this point appears to be rumors and hearsay...

I have seen a few articles about how society needs to rid itself of masculinity?  We are starting to circle the drain as a culture.

5 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Slackers   :02_v:

Back in my days at good old Portage High School our truant officer was vice Principal the late great Mr. Maurice Tolbert.  He was the one guy you did not want to deal with.  If he heard a bunch of students were ditching class he knew where the all hung out like West Beach and he would go out searching.

Every school needs a like guy like Mr. Tolbert.

• Upvote 2

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:55 AM, Boilernation said:

Interesting developments. It's kind of hard to draw a firm conclusion from that article. It appears that either the inmates are trying to run the asylum or Coyle pulled a Bud Kilmer. 

good one.

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sorry, but I find that to be a lame cop out.  Are kids different now than previous generations? Yes, but that's the way it has been for every generation.  They are all different than the past.  I'm not a millenial, but I remember the same broad brush being used to paint my generation when I was in school 20 some years ago (we were lazy, we weren't as tough, we didn't like to work, etc.).  The coach in the clip admits that you can still build a culture of toughness, and if you do you have an advantage.  So some coaches know how to coach and motivate and others don't....tell me something i don't know.  Yes, you certainly have to motivate differently today than in the past, but if you can't figure it out then you will be passed by.

There are "tough" kids and "weaker" kids.  There are kids who can take tougher criticism and those who cannot.  Coaching is a skill and a talent.  If you don't have the skill or talent to motivate individuals individually you will never be able to motivate a team.

Whether or not this in particular has to do with what has happened in Valparaiso, who knows...but I just hate the cop-out that "kids today are soft".  It's just not true, IMO.

BTW, it appears to be official now.  Per Jim Peters of the NWI Times the team was told that Dave Coyle has resigned at practice today.

• Upvote 2

For what it's worth.

Take this for what it might be worth.   

A Birdie told me that the School Board got involved and forced Coyle to reinstate a player he had dismissed from the team.   

If, and I say "IF", this is true.   As a present School Board Secretary, we Board members should stick to doing our job, and let the Administrators, Teachers and Coaches do theirs.    Our job as Board members is to develop policy and assure that school employees follow said policies.  Not get into micromanaging every employee's decisions.

Rant off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 8

2 hours ago, NPFan said:

This isn't coming from me and I don't believe it but here is the scuttlebutt I've heard. (All of Pennball's disclaimers used)

I guess some things have been brewing for a while but the incident that brought it all to a head happened at the Lake Central game. I guess their running back  (whose dad is an assistant coach ) had hurt his knee a few weeks prior and had surgery the day of the game so he did not attend school but showed up at the game.

The head coach basically asked the kid what he was doing at the game and told him he could not be there.  So the kid went to the stands and the coach saw him there and said something to the asst. coach/dad.  (I've heard extremely colorful insulting language used )

The  team captains were upset about it because the player wasn't sick he had surgery on a football injury that day and wanted to support the team.

I heard the team captains talked to the administration but got no resolution so they boycotted a practice which led to an investigation into the incident.

From the "NIC Teams 2nd Round Games" topic...

Again, all hearsay and rumors at this point.  Administration is not talking.

If this is a personnel issue, administrators/school board should not be discussing.

This is unfortunate.

A distraction to the school, admins, and the football program.

Let's let this play out ... less speculation. 

as always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

So, the coach asked the kid to sit on the sidelines due to a possible school policy. If you aren't in school, you may not participate in after school activities.

Kid has his surgery and shows up at the game. Per policy, the head coach asks him to vacate the field. An assistant coach, father of said player, is pissed off and bad mouths the HC. The players hear him being disrespectful and plan a revolt. 

The administration does not intervene and say that the HC made the right call, hanging him out to dry. HC disciplines players that walked out. Parents of players threaten a lawsuit. Administration crumbles again because they don't want a lawsuit, and ask the coach to resign. Spineless.

Coach Coyle, welcome to the KV job. There are some nice homes in Hebron and DeMotte.

(Pure speculation)

I don’t have any inside information. But I would just encourage everyone to refrain from speculating, let alone drawing conclusions, based on incomplete and, possibly, erroneous information. Just pump the brakes.

55 minutes ago, PennBall Wizard said:

So, the coach asked the kid to sit on the sidelines due to a possible school policy. If you aren't in school, you may not participate in after school activities.

Kid has his surgery and shows up at the game. Per policy, the head coach asks him to vacate the field. An assistant coach, father of said player, is pissed off and bad mouths the HC. The players hear him being disrespectful and plan a revolt. 

The administration does not intervene and say that the HC made the right call, hanging him out to dry. HC disciplines players that walked out. Parents of players threaten a lawsuit. Administration crumbles again because they don't want a lawsuit, and ask the coach to resign. Spineless.

Coach Coyle, welcome to the KV job. There are some nice homes in Hebron and DeMotte.

(Pure speculation)

Edited by DrivenT

I really think Penn High School has a part in this so they can beat Valpo Friday.

OK, just kidding :07_v:

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

I really think Penn High School has a part in this so they can beat Valpo Friday.

OK, just kidding :07_v:

Dave Coyle went from being Colts coach of the week after beating Penn in week 1 to being out as the Viking coach prior to playing Penn in the sectionals.

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Sweet! Payton place, sp

6 hours ago, slicer28 said:

Sorry, but I find that to be a lame cop out.  Are kids different now than previous generations? Yes, but that's the way it has been for every generation.  They are all different than the past.  I'm not a millenial, but I remember the same broad brush being used to paint my generation when I was in school 20 some years ago (we were lazy, we weren't as tough, we didn't like to work, etc.).  The coach in the clip admits that you can still build a culture of toughness, and if you do you have an advantage.  So some coaches know how to coach and motivate and others don't....tell me something i don't know.  Yes, you certainly have to motivate differently today than in the past, but if you can't figure it out then you will be passed by.

There are "tough" kids and "weaker" kids.  There are kids who can take tougher criticism and those who cannot.  Coaching is a skill and a talent.  If you don't have the skill or talent to motivate individuals individually you will never be able to motivate a team.

Whether or not this in particular has to do with what has happened in Valparaiso, who knows...but I just hate the cop-out that "kids today are soft".  It's just not true, IMO.

BTW, it appears to be official now.  Per Jim Peters of the NWI Times the team was told that Dave Coyle has resigned at practice today.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Anytime a coach mentions that their team is just soft, I think to myself “And that’s your fault!”. However there’s a difference in a coach using that lame excuse and what Coach Robichaux said in the video. “How far can we go to get a tough culture without being reprimanded from soft people”. 

You're right, every generation thinks they worked harder, and had it tougher than the one following them. Of course a lot of that is BS. However, I do know if I would have walked into my principal’s office and complained about my Head Coach’s policies (to be honest, anything other than maybe physical contact), I would have been laughed out of his office. While there are still some great administrators out there, that has began to change in society. It’s just easier for Administration to cut ties with a “minion”, than to take ridicule from parents or the community. 

To be clear im not just the old man yelling “Get off my lawn”. I believe I classify as a Millennial. 

Edited by football_is_life

7 hours ago, slicer28 said:

Sorry, but I find that to be a lame cop out.  Are kids different now than previous generations? Yes, but that's the way it has been for every generation.  They are all different than the past.  I'm not a millenial, but I remember the same broad brush being used to paint my generation when I was in school 20 some years ago (we were lazy, we weren't as tough, we didn't like to work, etc.).

I hear ya!

I was a teenager in the early ‘70s and all we heard was “Kids these days.” Followed by heads shaking in unison.

We were all long-haired hippies who listened to that darn noisy rock and roll music. And we were all on drugs.

8 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Notice the handsome, youthful-looking official in the background of the photo. :07_v:

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, bobref said:

Notice the handsome, youthful-looking official in the background of the photo. :07_v:

Didn't realize Brad Pitt spent so much time in Indiana....let alone he officiated HS football games.....

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1