• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
kmadderom

Valparaiso Football Coaching Situation

2 hours ago, bobref said:

Notice the handsome, youthful-looking official in the background of the photo. :07_v:

That's you!? I've been screaming at the wrong Bob (if that's even his name) from the stands for years! :07_v:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

That's you!? I've been screaming at the wrong Bob (if that's even his name) from the stands for years! :07_v:

:08_v::08_v:

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

Didn't realize Brad Pitt spent so much time in Indiana....let alone he officiated HS football games.....

The confusion is perfectly understandable. :02_v:

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the QB will be back for this game.... it might help steady the ship for the players..

I wonder if they have reached out to Coach Hoffman for guidance through all of this? I played for him in the North/South game in 2011 and in just that short week it was evident how dynamic of a leader he was and why he was so successful as a coach. Hopefully the kids can take it upon themselves this week and band together to play well!

Edited by olinecoach
typo

2 hours ago, olinecoach said:

I wonder if they have reached out to Coach Hoffman for guidance through all of this? I played for him in the North/South game in 2011 and it just that short week it was evident how dynamic of a leader he was and why he was so successful as a coach. Hopefully the kids can take it upon themselves this week and band together to play well!

That would be very cool, and very inspirational for those kids.  He is the "Knute Rockne" of that program.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

That would be very cool, and very inspirational for those kids.  He is the "Knute Rockne" of that program.  

Among the finest people I have known in my 40 seasons on the field.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2017 at 7:14 AM, Lysander said:

Didn't realize Brad Pitt spent so much time in Indiana....let alone he officiated HS football games.....

I thought it was Joe Pesci.....:02_v:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, US 31 said:

I thought it was Joe Pesci.....:02_v:

Ouch!

• Haha 1

FWIW Dan Dakich is tweeting about the situation currently.....

Dan Dakich Retweeted Scott Foster

My generation and those a lil younger have completely failed as parents

in response to

• @dandakich  20m20 minutes ago
    Joe Girardi to intense Kevin Wilson too tough Tom Crean to intense/maniacal Out of jobs! Pagano complete con man soft as hell Still coach
Scott Foster @foz219
Replying to @dandakich  9-1 Valpo hs football coach fired week playoffs start, yelled too much, hurt kids feelings

My first question with these type of things that are being said from fans/parents of current and past players is this: Was any of these concerns that are being lobbed about after the fact brought forward during the fact to the Head Coach himself by any parents of said players? Did Administration conduct end of the year review of HC ? Does HC give end of year review of his assistant coaches? Had their been other conversations with admins and HC prior to this season? During the season? 

Any issues during Baseball seasons? 

I guess I get jaded how easy it is after the fact, when you go onto the ole social media machine and now EVERYONE has a story or didn't like this or that about a Coach, how he did this and that to their kid. How much value does that actually have AFTER the fact? If there were legit concerns, did those concerns ever get communicated to people prior, during any season, practice, game? 

I have never heard a bad word spoken about Coach Coyle amongst other coaches and multitude of family members of mine who have resided for many years in Valpo community. Seeing these type of things go down over the years I find it interesting to say the least how many voices show up after the fact. 

For the record, only thing I am basing this off of is the 2 articles I read in the Times/Post no other information or "insider" stuff like its being reported on comment sections and twitter responses and also in this thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

@dandakich
This is why I’ve always said Valpo is not part of The Region”..this doesn’t happen at ‘Velt West Side Hammond High EC Central etc

44 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

My first question with these type of things that are being said from fans/parents of current and past players is this: Was any of these concerns that are being lobbed about after the fact brought forward during the fact to the Head Coach himself by any parents of said players? Did Administration conduct end of the year review of HC ? Does HC give end of year review of his assistant coaches? Had their been other conversations with admins and HC prior to this season? During the season? 

Any issues during Baseball seasons? 

I guess I get jaded how easy it is after the fact, when you go onto the ole social media machine and now EVERYONE has a story or didn't like this or that about a Coach, how he did this and that to their kid. How much value does that actually have AFTER the fact? If there were legit concerns, did those concerns ever get communicated to people prior, during any season, practice, game? 

I have never heard a bad word spoken about Coach Coyle amongst other coaches and multitude of family members of mine who have resided for many years in Valpo community. Seeing these type of things go down over the years I find it interesting to say the least how many voices show up after the fact. 

For the record, only thing I am basing this off of is the 2 articles I read in the Times/Post no other information or "insider" stuff like its being reported on comment sections and twitter responses and also in this thread.

You win the award for best post of the day/week/month/maybe even year!  I gave you a little purple trophy for your efforts.  Thanks coach!  Saying what probably every coach is thinking

• Upvote 2

Popular opinion or not, I was sure happy to see the results of the Penn/ Valpo game. Having family in Valpo I generally hope well for them, but I don’t want to see inmates rewarded for running the asylum. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, football_is_life said:

Popular opinion or not, I was sure happy to see the results of the Penn/ Valpo game. Having family in Valpo I generally hope well for them, but I don’t want to see inmates rewarded for running the asylum. 

Haven’t you heard? It’s no longer acceptable to use that metaphor. Hurts peoples’ feelings.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

I am going to go against the grain here & stand up for these student-athletes. Let's not forget-- the team belongs to the players just as much (if not more) as it belongs to the coaching staff. I do not know any of the coaches or players involved & have no inside knowledge so I am solely basing my opinions on the NWI Times/Chicago Tribune articles, a NWI Times podcast & commentary on this forum. (Much of this does rely on an unconfirmed post from NPFan -- so if that information is inaccurate, forgive me.)

For those who make statements like "kids today are soft" or "inmates are running the asylum", please put yourself in this situation-- YOU are a Senior football player who has probably played his last football game due to an injury. Due to this football-related injury, YOU had surgery on Oct 13, the same day that YOUR TEAM plays its last regular season game with the conference title on the line. YOU are a teenager-- the surgery was scheduled by your parents & your doctors. Due to the surgery (which certainly could/should be viewed as a valid medical excuse), YOU missed school but are well enough to attend the game. Even injured, YOU are still a valuable member of the team & would like to be with YOUR TEAMMATES & also with YOUR DAD (an Asst Coach) as YOUR team clinches the conference title. When the Head Coach evokes the no school-no participation rule, YOU go to the bleachers to watch the game. Apparently, that is not acceptable to the Head Coach either. So...would YOU think that the Head Coach treated you fairly by not allowing you to even be in the stadium so that you can enjoy this special night which you earned just as much as every other player/coach/manager?

In the real-life scenario for the unnamed Valpo player, HIS TEAMMATES stood up for him because they disagreed with the Coach Coyle's decision & the way their teammate was treated. And when the team leaders raised these issues with the school administration but no progress was made, THOSE KIDS REMAINED STRONG. I credit all of those young men for standing up for their teammate when they could have taken the easy route by deciding to essentially sacrifice their injured Senior teammate in order to avoid possibly derailing an outstanding season right before the playoffs. In this case, it took a practice boycott to remind the school administration & the Coach Coyle that sometimes THE RIGHT DECISION is to make an exception to the rule & that HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS STILL BELONG TO THE ATHLETES.

Granted, I am a bit biased. Like this injured athlete, my HS football career ended suddenly due to injury/surgery halfway thorough my Senior season. Unlike this injured Valpo athlete, when I was able to return to the sideline to be with my teammates, they saluted me by wearing my number on towels tucked into their belts. That night is still one of the greatest moments of my life. And when our season ended a few weeks later (& if my detective work is accurate, the Valpo Dad/Asst Coach was a key player on the Valpo team that beat us 34-0 that night in 1985), I hurt just as much & cried just as hard postgame as my teammates who were able to suit up for that game. Because, injured or not, I was still part of that team & deserved to experience the highs & lows as much as anybody else. Coach Coyle tried to take that away from the injured Valpo Senior at the end of his HS football career. His teammates stood up for him & would not allow their teammate to be treated unfairly.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Sounds like if they would have listened to the coach and just played football instead of being offended then just maybe they would have been playing next weekend still and could have addressed this after the season was officially over. Penn is seriously hard to beat if everything is going right. Now these seniors will never play again anyway

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, slice60 said:

I am going to go against the grain here & stand up for these student-athletes. Let's not forget-- the team belongs to the players just as much (if not more) as it belongs to the coaching staff. I do not know any of the coaches or players involved & have no inside knowledge so I am solely basing my opinions on the NWI Times/Chicago Tribune articles, a NWI Times podcast & commentary on this forum. (Much of this does rely on an unconfirmed post from NPFan -- so if that information is inaccurate, forgive me.)

For those who make statements like "kids today are soft" or "inmates are running the asylum", please put yourself in this situation-- YOU are a Senior football player who has probably played his last football game due to an injury. Due to this football-related injury, YOU had surgery on Oct 13, the same day that YOUR TEAM plays its last regular season game with the conference title on the line. YOU are a teenager-- the surgery was scheduled by your parents & your doctors. Due to the surgery (which certainly could/should be viewed as a valid medical excuse), YOU missed school but are well enough to attend the game. Even injured, YOU are still a valuable member of the team & would like to be with YOUR TEAMMATES & also with YOUR DAD (an Asst Coach) as YOUR team clinches the conference title. When the Head Coach evokes the no school-no participation rule, YOU go to the bleachers to watch the game. Apparently, that is not acceptable to the Head Coach either. So...would YOU think that the Head Coach treated you fairly by not allowing you to even be in the stadium so that you can enjoy this special night which you earned just as much as every other player/coach/manager?

In the real-life scenario for the unnamed Valpo player, HIS TEAMMATES stood up for him because they disagreed with the Coach Coyle's decision & the way their teammate was treated. And when the team leaders raised these issues with the school administration but no progress was made, THOSE KIDS REMAINED STRONG. I credit all of those young men for standing up for their teammate when they could have taken the easy route by deciding to essentially sacrifice their injured Senior teammate in order to avoid possibly derailing an outstanding season right before the playoffs. In this case, it took a practice boycott to remind the school administration & the Coach Coyle that sometimes THE RIGHT DECISION is to make an exception to the rule & that HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS STILL BELONG TO THE ATHLETES.

Granted, I am a bit biased. Like this injured athlete, my HS football career ended suddenly due to injury/surgery halfway thorough my Senior season. Unlike this injured Valpo athlete, when I was able to return to the sideline to be with my teammates, they saluted me by wearing my number on towels tucked into their belts. That night is still one of the greatest moments of my life. And when our season ended a few weeks later (& if my detective work is accurate, the Valpo Dad/Asst Coach was a key player on the Valpo team that beat us 34-0 that night in 1985), I hurt just as much & cried just as hard postgame as my teammates who were able to suit up for that game. Because, injured or not, I was still part of that team & deserved to experience the highs & lows as much as anybody else. Coach Coyle tried to take that away from the injured Valpo Senior at the end of his HS football career. His teammates stood up for him & would not allow their teammate to be treated unfairly.

I am not sure if this is the case with Valpo or not, but many schools have a policy if you do not go to school the day of the game/event for any reason (except family emergency or death), you do not get to participate or even go to the game. Its not left to the coach to decide, it is the school admin's and in the student handbook.  We all know that, and have to abide by it.  Fortunately at my school you can show up for a half day, and still be able to play that night.  When my son was injured and missed school he could not go and watch practice or participate in any school activities because of the missed day.  That would include band, theatre, or any after school groups.

15 hours ago, slice60 said:

So the HC in your opinion, who was reportedly following the school rules, deserved to have to resign due to multiple players making a stand by "quitting"   but they wouldn't quit if he quit first is a good way to handle this situation in season.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

17 hours ago, slice60 said:

I agree with all that you said here.  You won’t get many to agree here because most are coaches that will always take the side of fellow coaches.  I don’t know why an exception could not have been made to allow the player to be there to support his teammates.  Policy or not, administrators and coaches ask for trouble when they put enforcement of black and white rules over compassion for others.  The message the players got from the coach’s enforcement of the school policy was that the player supporting his teammates wasn’t a valid reason for making an exception.  So school policy is more important than being able to support those you have worked and battled with throughout the season and your playing career.  There are times when it is ok to make an exception to a policy, and this should have been one of them.  Couldn’t care less about the outcome of the game, or the opinions of all the a-holes saying these kids got what they deserved when they lost.  I respect them for doing what they believed was right.  If it wasn’t for people standing up to authority figures when they are wrong, this country wouldn’t even exist.  Were the founding fathers a bunch of crybabies that weren’t as tough as the generations before them?  If they were, count me in as a supporter of the crybabies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach said:

I agree with all that you said here.  You won’t get many to agree here because most are coaches that will always take the side of fellow coaches.  I don’t know why an exception could not have been made to allow the player to be there to support his teammates.  Policy or not, administrators and coaches ask for trouble when they put enforcement of black and white rules over compassion for others.  The message the players got from the coach’s enforcement of the school policy was that the player supporting his teammates wasn’t a valid reason for making an exception.  So school policy is more important than being able to support those you have worked and battled with throughout the season and your playing career.  There are times when it is ok to make an exception to a policy, and this should have been one of them.  Couldn’t care less about the outcome of the game, or the opinions of all the a-holes saying these kids got what they deserved when they lost.  I respect them for doing what they believed was right.  If it wasn’t for people standing up to authority figures when they are wrong, this country wouldn’t even exist.  Were the founding fathers a bunch of crybabies that weren’t as tough as the generations before them?  If they were, count me in as a supporter of the crybabies.

I'm not a coach(neither are "most" on here) and I don't agree with you or slice60. School rules are school rules, they should be followed by all students, no exceptions made for a student because he's on the football team. If he wanted to go to the game, he should have scheduled the surgery for a non-game day.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

School rule let school handle it. Can not believe admin checks attendance for every student who comes to game.