• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
kmadderom

Valparaiso Football Coaching Situation

Recommended Posts

Putting this into my own world, I know that I've made mistakes in life and have been unreasonable. I tend to be reflective. If I go back and can justify my decision or behavior, I'm more than willing to stand on my principles and take the consequences. I'm not, however, going to simply stand on a decision because I've convinced myself it's the best one. If I can see things from another's point of view or if someone convinces me that I'm wrong, I'm more than willing to apologize and make good on a situation. Again, this is me talking and I'm not talking to the facts of this case. I've also learned that I'm replaceable. I can be gone tomorrow, and they will put someone in here to do my job. In three or four years, whatever my legacy is...it's going to be in someone else's hands and I won't have control over it. I can only control what I can control. Sometimes I'll weigh a decision against the ultimate worst or best case consequence of it if someone disagrees. The old cliché that says, "You have to sleep at night," holds true here.

As Pat Summitt once said, "It is what it is, so make it what it will be."

 

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Von2Rov said:

I would love to see those in support of the player, try to be a coach.  Sounds like you would give special privileges to some and not others... 
See where that gets you...  :02_v: It's so much harder than you think. 
Lets just agree that the situation stinks for all involved.  None of us really know how we would have reacted in the situation. 

If I were the coach I would have allowed the player to participate in the senior night activities with his parents then informed our school truant officer, Officer Campbell,  who is a very large policeman and former Indiana State University  basketball player that he can't stay on the sideline because he was not in class during the day.  If has ever seen officer Campbell I guarantee that  does not  give any special privilages to anybody and nobody ever dares gets in his face and tells him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No the coaches stayed but did not agree with what happened to Coach Coyle but felt they needed to coach the team.... why give contrition if you feel you are right?  to Von2Rov where do I give the idea to special privileges?  Every situation needs to be looked at but if you have a certain set of rules then either stand by them or don't have any no matter who the kid is.... unless you value winning over teaching...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

No the coaches stayed but did not agree with what happened to Coach Coyle but felt they needed to coach the team.... why give contrition if you feel you are right?  to Von2Rov where do I give the idea to special privileges?  Every situation needs to be looked at but if you have a certain set of rules then either stand by them or don't have any no matter who the kid is.... unless you value winning over teaching...

If I felt I was right and that I was doing what's best, then I'd be more than willing to stand on my principles.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

If I felt I was right and that I was doing what's best, then I'd be more than willing to stand on my principles.

Thank you BD.  There are enough yes men and women in this world!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So did this senior go through the senior night activities with his dad/coach?  If they thought there was nothing wrong with him being there, did they also try to walk through the senior night?   I would think  that if he missed school for a surgery and he was still in good standing with the team prior to this, the admin would want to make sure he was apart of senior night or does Valpo not do any kind of senior  recognition at the game?? This whole story makes ZERO sense to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a school rule, not a team rule.

Every Head Coach has a boss -- the AD, the HS Principal, the Superintendent. For the home regular season finale with a DAC title on the line, I am sure that the AD was at the game & would hope that the Principal &/or Superintendent would be in attendance as well. When Coach Coyle told the kid during the game that he couldn't be on the sidelines, the kid went into the stands. When the kid came on the field for the postgame celebration, Coach Coyle (now that the game was over) could have taken the time to consult with the AD/Principal/Superintendent-- whichever boss was readily available-- to make a decision regarding a SCHOOL RULE.

Instead, Coyle did this according to Hutton's article:

"Furious at what he considered to be a second act of insubordination, Coyle suspended the player in front of the team in what sources described as an over-the-top response."

To me, Coyle's postgame actions explicitly told EVERY player on the team that it was & always would be 100% HIS team & 0% THEIR team. The players disagreed & ultimately decided to stand up for their teammate & for themselves.

  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I disagree but we just have opinions.... no one won in this situation.... and not sure it played a role in their game against Penn but they have the offseason as school to make sure this does not happen again..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, slice60 said:

It was a school rule, not a team rule.

Every Head Coach has a boss -- the AD, the HS Principal, the Superintendent. For the home regular season finale with a DAC title on the line, I am sure that the AD was at the game & would hope that the Principal &/or Superintendent would be in attendance as well. When Coach Coyle told the kid during the game that he couldn't be on the sidelines, the kid went into the stands. When the kid came on the field for the postgame celebration, Coach Coyle (now that the game was over) could have taken the time to consult with the AD/Principal/Superintendent-- whichever boss was readily available-- to make a decision regarding a SCHOOL RULE.

Instead, Coyle did this according to Hutton's article:

"Furious at what he considered to be a second act of insubordination, Coyle suspended the player in front of the team in what sources described as an over-the-top response."

To me, Coyle's postgame actions explicitly told EVERY player on the team that it was & always would be 100% HIS team & 0% THEIR team. The players disagreed & ultimately decided to stand up for their teammate & for themselves.

Nobody is saying he handled it the best he could, nor are they defending his actions...  Many are just stating that the kid should've followed the rules in the first place.  People are also agreeing that there shouldn't be special concessions made for a kid that breaks rules.  I don't know exactly what he (coach) said or did, so I can't defend the coaches actions, but I can defend his right to uphold policy.  He just should have done it better...

:02_v:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, slice60 said:

It was a school rule, not a team rule.

Every Head Coach has a boss -- the AD, the HS Principal, the Superintendent. For the home regular season finale with a DAC title on the line, I am sure that the AD was at the game & would hope that the Principal &/or Superintendent would be in attendance as well. When Coach Coyle told the kid during the game that he couldn't be on the sidelines, the kid went into the stands. When the kid came on the field for the postgame celebration, Coach Coyle (now that the game was over) could have taken the time to consult with the AD/Principal/Superintendent-- whichever boss was readily available-- to make a decision regarding a SCHOOL RULE.

Instead, Coyle did this according to Hutton's article:

"Furious at what he considered to be a second act of insubordination, Coyle suspended the player in front of the team in what sources described as an over-the-top response."

To me, Coyle's postgame actions explicitly told EVERY player on the team that it was & always would be 100% HIS team & 0% THEIR team. The players disagreed & ultimately decided to stand up for their teammate & for themselves.

I've seen this sentiment expressed several times, in several different ways ... that the 15 players who turned in their equipment were "standing up for their teammate," I can see that, but I can also see a different point of view. What if you were one of the 60-70 players on that team who didn't turn in their equipment, who didn't threaten not to play in their sectional opener? How would you feel about your teammates deserting you and leaving you to face the mighty Kingsmen at half strength. Didn't those kids have an obligation to the rest of their teammates, too?

Edited by bobref
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 12
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

If I felt I was right and that I was doing what's best, then I'd be more than willing to stand on my principles.

Based on someone's perspective of the situation or the information you may or may not know (I am not implying that I know any more about the situation than anyone else) I think someone could take this position for either Coach Coyle or the players involved...

Edited by slicer28
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slicer28 said:

Based on someone's perspective of the situation or the information you may or may not know (I am not implying that I know any more about the situation than anyone else) I think someone could take this position for either Coach Coyle or the players involved...

I wasn't picking sides. In fact, my comment was more in general than related to this specific situation.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.