• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Veatch

Bad Weather (Favorite Games)

14 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

2002 Regional at Warren Central...

The grass was basically soup. Came down to overtime. BD had the ball first and scored a TD to take a 35-28 lead. Warren then got the ball and got stuffed by BD's defense at the one on 4th down. BD went on to win the State Championship. The weather did everything that night...rain...snow...sleet...everything.

2014 Sectional at Avon

Wind gusted up about 35-40 mph with snow all night on Halloween.

I remember that game. I was going to Ben Davis Junior High School when the Giants beat the Warriors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Reb08 said:

South Spencer over Tri-West in the 1988  Semi-state clash @ South Spencer.   The Rebels won 24-13, earning a berth in their only state final appearance in school history.  It poured hours before the game, and was a mud bog.  Was 9 years old, and can still remember parts of the game. 

I played in that game.  I remember looking down one time and I couldn't see my feet.  Billy Morton was a stud.  That TW was loaded.  We had 12-15 guys that went on to play college football.

Evansville Central vs Jasper 2006 Sectionals

Central had one of the best and highest scoring teams in their history.  10-0 coming in led by coaches son Chris Owen.  It wasn't ridiculously cold but it had rained for several days and the field was a nightmare.  They even tried to tarp the field the day of the the game.  Central's high flying pass offense was grounded and Jasper eked out an 8-7 victory on a late TD and 2 point conversion. Probably the single most influential game in the EVSC's decision to get turf on all their fields.

21 hours ago, bobref said:

Easy one for me. 2006 Regional: Norwell (led by Chandler Harnish) at New Prairie. In between the time we arrived and the time we left the locker room, air temperature dropped almost 20 degrees and it started sleeting. Freezing rain throughout the first half and then the field froze to muddy ruts in the second half. Threw my knickers away after the game. Didn’t even attempt to clean them. Probably the most uncomfortable I’ve ever been on a football field.

20 hours ago, slicer28 said:

Same night, same county.  Crown Point at LaPorte.  28-21 win in Overtime for the Slicers.  The Slicers dominated the first half of the game in the rain/sleet/wind.  Then after a lightning delay the weather calmed down but got cold.  Crown Point came back in the better weather and tied the game.  LaPorte scored first in OT and stopped the Bulldogs to win their first Regional. 

Same Night:   Different County:  Jasper:   We hosted Jimtown.   55 and sunny during specialties at 6,  game time it had dropped to 45 and light rain, 2nd half 35 degrees, sideways sleet.  

Coach Bill Sharpe was flabbergasted when he came back in the winter time for Girls Regional we hosted, in all his years said that was the worst night of weather he had ever been a part of.  

Mulitple coaches in SHORTS!!!   YIKES 

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Same Night:   Different County:  Jasper:   We hosted Jimtown.   55 and sunny during specialties at 6,  game time it had dropped to 45 and light rain, 2nd half 35 degrees, sideways sleet.  

Coach Bill Sharpe was flabbergasted when he came back in the winter time for Girls Regional we hosted, in all his years said that was the worst night of weather he had ever been a part of.  

Must be from the Dave Enright coaching tree.

• Upvote 1

Oct 27th, 2006   Snider at Marion 

Mud 8" deep , cold and windy  

We were a spread / throw the ball team ...Snider wasn't

It was a long night for the Giants,  Our QB actually threw a pick 6 , 5 yards backwards, Ball slipped out of his hand on the pass and into the arms of the lineman who was blocked out of the play.

Nice to see they have turf now.

25 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

After the game, Kiwanis Field in LaPorte was a mess.  LaPorte traveled down to Carmel for the Semi-State match up the following Friday and were overwhelmed by Carmel.  I would have loved to have seen that same game played in LaPorte.  It was far colder that following week and the mud had frozen, but it would have been fun to see how LP's power rushing attack with Arrience Shark would have fared on a less than ideal playing surface.

5 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

The Chatard/Gibson Southern ice bowl was at Lawrence North in 2015

I knew it was sometime, but couldn't remember the year

Gibson Southern at Bishop Chatard 2015

*ducks*

21 hours ago, tango said:

Sorry, I have 4.....

1991 3A South Semi-State - Cathedral @ Memorial.  Rained all week.  Central Stadium was a muddy mess.  I had to sneak out of a wedding reception in downtown Evansville to go.  Cathedral won 13-12.  Heart-breaker for the Tigers.  Fiancee (now wife) was NOT happy when she caught me sneaking back in...  

1992 3A South Semi-State - Evansville Memorial @ Indianapolis Cathedral somewhere (Arlington?) in Indianapolis.  Freezing cold, raining, howling wind.  Ice formed on the field at halftime.  Players run out breaking ice and slopping into mud.  Absolutely awful.  Punts went backwards.  Coldest I've ever been in my life.  Wife (former fiancee) left at halftime.  I stayed.  Cathedral won 31-14.  No cell phone, no vehicle & no way I'm walking.   A Cathedral fan gives me a ride downtown to my apartment.  Older guy.  I forgot his name.  I owe him.

2008 3A South Regional - Evansville Memorial @ Heritage Hills.  Cold & raining sideways.  The Jungle was a swamp.  Tigers won 6-3 and had to run victory formation out of shotgun because we could not snap under center.  Second coldest I've ever been in my life.  Wife did not attend.  I listened to Gene Tracy Truckstop #5 on the way to Lincoln City.  You've never truly embarrassed your 16 yr. old daughter until you've listened to the Crepitation Contest with her and 5 of her friends.  Got Dad of the Year for that one.

2008 3A South Semi-State - Bishop Chatard @ Evansville Memorial.  Very cold but clear night.  Temp at KO was around 30 degrees and dropped steadily into upper teens.  I warmed footballs on the sideline in a construction salamander.  Zach Martin was the biggest human being I had seen up close since Andre the Giant and Hill Billy Jim at a WWF show in 1985.  Tigers shock the Trojans 27-14.  Instant classic.  Missed a chance to meet Lysander...     

The 2008 Chatard-Memorial game might be the coldest I've ever been.  Long trip home.

That or BC at Roncalli in 2014 on Halloween. That was a cold night all around the state!

• Upvote 1

1995 1st round of sectionals Webo vs Monrovia. My senior year I played for Webo and we seen everything that night rain, snow, slèet, and freezing rain. At halftime we could barely get to the locker room going up that hill with cleets on. On the way back to the field we had about 6 players fall on the old wooden bridge you had to cross to get to the field. At the end of the 3rd quarter players on the sideline had literally  ice covered helmets. Never forget that game

Edited by Jbk2
Added couple of words

3 hours ago, Dabears said:

Hey.  Really appreciate you putting this out for me.  

Just another example of an over zealous blogger over stepping his bounds.  Perhaps in the future a DM would have been appreciated.  

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE !!!!

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1973 playoff game, Cathedral at Bloomington High School.  BHS had a 60 game winning streak and it was in the 20's.  The cold didn't seem quite as bad as it did before the game when Cathedral ran the opening kickoff back for a TD.  It went well the rest of the game also and the Irish won the game and ended Bloomington's streak.  I've been to many other games that snowed, sleeted or rained but that one was the coldest I can ever remember.

We didn't know that one of our buddies had a flask with him and emptied it during the game.  To warm up after the game we stopped at a bar in Martinsville.  They had a small band and the flask man,  who was way under the weather at that point,  asked the band if they could play the Cathedral Fight Song.  Well, we immediately were thrown out of the bar.  They didn't even give us time to finish our drinks.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

taken care of 

Thank you,  Thank you Coach!!!  

Why in the world in the MIDDLE of the State Playoffs would I want my likeness posted without my permission on this site?  The last thing I need right now is for members of this (or any other site) calling me out by name at a game, in person or anywhere.  Perhaps the poster should have READ THE ARTICLE 1st! 

If I had wanted that poster to put this out, or anyone for that matter, I would just stop using a pseudonym and put out my government name for all the world to see. 

There are a myriad of people on this site who are fully aware of who I am, and I have an understanding with them, that that information is private and to remain between us.  

In the future to ALL posters:  Ask the individual 1st!  You might be surprised at our reluctance in many cases to post that type of information.....

Just my .02

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bigfish said:

Gibson Southern at Bishop Chatard 2015

*ducks*

The 2008 Chatard-Memorial game might be the coldest I've ever been.  Long trip home.

That or BC at Roncalli in 2014 on Halloween. That was a cold night all around the state!

2008 was a LOOOONG trip home...and cold as heck.  The first year the Championship was to be played at Lucas Oil.  We drove by Lucas Oil that night (it was well lit) and I remember just how much sadder that made me.  I remember wondering if my kid would ever get another shot at it (fortunately he did in 2010).

I bailed after the half in 2014 BC/Roncalli game - I just couldn't handle the cold...and what was happening on the field.

Worst conditions I played in was against the hated Connersville Spartans (back when they weren't pushovers).  We were down 21-0 at the half.  Coach Codiano wouldn't even come to speak to us at the half - he was so furious with us.  The idea of him being that angry terrified me - it had never happened in all the time I had played for him.  Opening kickoff we take it back for a TD.  We eventually are within 4-5 points. 

Fourth Quarter its raining sideways with 6 seconds to go on the 4 yard line  - I can barely see through the rain.  Lightning had started at some point everywhere.  Full blown storm with lightning.  The coaches are spreading out the players on our sideline so that no "group" would get hit by lightning.  I remember looking over at the sidelines with everybody spread out so far and thinking how weird it looked.  Our QB ran it in (Rex Phillips) with about 2 seconds to go on a busted play.  

Never forget it.  1977...an eternity ago.

Edited by Lysander

1997 1A Regional game at Linton.  There had been six inches of snow a couple of days before the game.  The field was cleaned off, but still really soggy.  By the end of the game, the field conditions were so bad you would sink past your ankles in the muck just trying to walk on it.  I have no idea how those guys could get ANY footling during the game.  Linton won, 31 - 6 over a Rockville team that was one of the top rushing teams in the state that year.  The worst field conditions I have ever seen at a high school game.

As far as weather conditions go, 2008 Round 1 Sectional 48, Linton at Tecumseh.  It was raining and at times it rained so much and the wind was blowing so hard, the rain was going sideways.  You could barely see the field due to the volume of rain.  The closest thing to a monsoon you will find in Indiana.  Linton escaped the elements and the Braves, 13 - 6.  Both teams were 9 - 0 going into the game.

Edited by itiswhatitis

I've played in some bad conditions.. cold, rain, etc.  But my most memorable games I watched in some of the worst weather was in 2007 watching my little brother play.  The first was Triton vs. Bremen.  Not cold but nonstop heavy rain the entire game.  First time Triton beat Bremen, I believe.  The second that same year was the sectional game at Whiting.  It was about 40 degrees and a downpour, just absolutely nasty, the entire game.  I believe Whiting was ranked in the top 10 that year and we came out with a win leading to a sectional championship at the next game.

Not sure if it counts as a favorite game for me, especially because we came up short, but the 2016 Semi State game Garrett v. Concordia at Garrett. The weather was really odd all week and warmer than it should be. We came out and started to warm up, only to be sent back to the locker rooms due to severe thunderstorms and all that comes with that. That's not something you expect in the middle of November. We ended up delaying the game and it didn't get started until after 9:00. Would've been a lot sweeter to me if we would've pulled that one out, but Peter Morrison and company had a few more weapons than we could handle.

2008 5A Regionals    Center Grove @ Castle

When we got  there it was raining so hard the stairs looked like a waterfall.  Never let up the entire game.  We pulled 7-8 kids out of the stands and had an assembly line trying to keep the footballs playable.  We rotated a new football every play and after one play it was soaked and covered with mud.

I also think of a regular season game up at LN back in probably 2003. The temperature was probably 55 or so, so it wasn't cold, but it was WINDY and raining sideways. The grass was a mess. Neither team could do anything offensively. BD won the game 7-0, but it was only because of a bad snap on a punt that the punter couldn't recover. BD recovered it on the 1 and was stuffed on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. They punched it in barely on 4th down. Just a nasty night.

My favorite bad weather game is from 2015's semi-state at home on Lake Michigan.  It snowed and sleeted all day and we basically played on frozen turf.  I attached a couple of pictures - one is us celebrating the win but you can see the field in the background covered in snow.  People tried to shovel off the yard lines and hash marks... it was a chaotic evening.  People dubbed the game, "The Ice Bowl".  We won 14-7 to propel us to the state championship.  

The other picture was taken by a father who owns a drone.  You can see just how close we are to Lake Michigan.  We frequently get terrible weather in late October into November.  Back in 2005 we were playing our rivals Clark HS in a torrential downpour.  We won 6-0 but it rained constantly all evening - sideways rain.  Later that evening, I heard the weatherman talk about Lake Effect rain - never heard of it before.  It didn't rain anywhere else that night but Whiting.  Kind of crazy.  

12219340_10153063709452303_8002834726502091911_n.jpg

RPG_Jeff_Bergeson.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

this continues to be one of Indiana's best kept secrets!!!   WHITING!!!!    Home of the world renown Pirogi Fest, soon to be open Mascot hall of fame and of course the OILERS!!!!

• Like 2

Gotta love the Lake Effect, we are just inside of it's usual track, and have received a little lake effect rain this week on top of the system stuff.  New Prairie has to be one of the snowier schools in this part of the state, just due to the prevailing winds.

• Like 1

2009 sectional semi-final, Tri-West at North Putnam. I played at North Putnam. Rained all day and during the game. The field was a total swamp. The final score of that game was 4-0 if that tells you anything. Fun Times! 

• Haha 1