• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
warren05

Broad Ripple vs Chatard details

Can anyone shed some light on what happens to result in the Forfiet?

33 minutes ago, warren05 said:

Can anyone shed some light on what happens to result in the Forfiet?

What happened?

All I heard was there was a fight on the BR sideline amongst themselves. I read someone say a player was hitting a coach or had swung at a coach. Score was 48-0 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd.

Edited by Olympian06

Heard Bob Lovell talking about it on his radio show tonight.....sounds like a sad situation to end that program.

A fight appeared to break out between some BR players with just under 9:00 in the 3rd.  People remarked they were fighting on the field. Never saw the start of it but people pointed it out to me.  I stopped paying attention frankly assuming it was resolved....and just not wanting to watch it.

Shortly afterward there was a fight on the sidelines.  I saw one person down...there could have been more.  Per folks around me, at least one person that was down was a coach who had been punched by a player (didn't see a punch.....just saw someone down).  To be honest when something like this happens it's difficult to tell those who are fighting from those trying to break it up.

About that time Chatard coaches began to flag (somewhat urgently) their players towards the buses (it appeared the officials had called the game).  Chatard players began running toward the buses.  About the same time, several BR players began running in the same direction (towards the BR locker rooms).  Chatard coaches then tried to flag the players back.  Ultimately, they headed toward the buses.

The game was clean but was lopsided and I'm sure frustrating for the BR players.  No PFs on either team.  A couple of holds and a couple of off-sides on both teams but absolutely no chippiness that I saw from either team.

I know that some might want to make some assumptions about this but frankly, there were 21 BR players (total) that I counted -and they were terribly overmatched.  I counted two (yes.....two) people sitting in the stands on the BR side.  Bear in mind, BR was potentially looking at the last FB game ever to be played at the school along with 21 players and yet only two people (at least from what I saw) there to watch.

I'm not making excuses for something inexcusable but I can't help but have a lot of sympathy for those kids and coaches.  I've seen it in other places in the past (Northwest, Manuel) where the kids are out there playing a game they literally have no chance in and the stands are empty just emphasizing that no one except they and their coaches gives a d@mn about them.  Frankly, I was there as much out of respect for both BR and what that football field meant to my kids that had considered it their (shared) home field.  It was going to be a sad evening for me but I was terribly saddened to see BR football end that way.  

I'm no bleeding heart....but what I see in games like this and what I wonder what it must be like for some of these kids breaks mine.

Edit - my wife tells me there were 8 people on the BR bleachers.  6 more people were located at the end of the bleachers that I, apparently missed.  Per the Bob Lovell show, at least two were media folks.  .

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 10

Sad, a couple years back we hosted BR and fed them after the game. They had maybe 4 people in the stands. Their QB had a huge arm and potential, but you could tell he didnt have the support he needed to be successful with his gift. That was a hard game to watch. After the game was in hand, I think a few of us wanted to go over and try cheering those guys on so that they knew people cared about them and maybe get them on the right track. Last year we were supposed to play them, but then found Lapel. BR would beat Anderson Prep that week which I thought was awesome for them.

Its really too bad that the BR administration or IPS didn't pull the plug on this program after last season.  They should have anticipated something like this happening and just shut it down completely.

This entire season was very likely a miserable experience for the players, coaches and few fans who supported the team.

This should be a lesson for all programs who are literally on the brink.  Football is not a game that can survive on life support.  It needs energy, passion, guts and will.  Spare your kids the 5 months of agony and give them something more positive to expend their valuable energy on.

This is just no way to go out.  

3A 29 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 0-10
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
INDIANAPOLIS BROAD RIPPLE
ROCKETS
Coach: James Brown, 0-10 in 1st year at school, 1-29 in 3rd year overall
DATE OPPONENT EASTERN TIME OA 9.0, DA 50.7
Aug. 18 at Heritage Christian {2A}   L   0-68   
Aug. 25 Indianapolis Attucks   L   6-20   
Sep. 1 Noblesville HomeSchool   L   6-38   
Sep. 8 Eastern Hancock {2A}   L   0-55   
Sep. 15 Guerin Catholic {3A}   L 14-56   
Sep. 22 at Connersville {4A}   L 18-61   
Sep. 29 at Covenant Christian {1A}   L 26-47   
Oct. 6 Indianapolis Manual {3A}   L 20-46   
Oct. 13 Indianapolis Arlington {1A}   L   0-68   
Oct. 27 at Indianapolis Chatard {3A}   L   0-48  sectional

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

A fight appeared to break out between some BR players with just under 9:00 in the 3rd.  People remarked they were fighting on the field. Never saw the start of it but people pointed it out to me.  I stopped paying attention frankly assuming it was resolved....and just not wanting to watch it.

Shortly afterward there was a fight on the sidelines.  I saw one person down...there could have been more.  Per folks around me, at least one person that was down was a coach who had been punched by a player (didn't see a punch.....just saw someone down).  To be honest when something like this happens it's difficult to tell those who are fighting from those trying to break it up.

About that time Chatard coaches began to flag (somewhat urgently) their players towards the buses (it appeared the officials had called the game).  Chatard players began running toward the buses.  About the same time, several BR players began running in the same direction (towards the BR locker rooms).  Chatard coaches then tried to flag the players back.  Ultimately, they headed toward the buses.

The game was clean but was lopsided and I'm sure frustrating for the BR players.  No PFs on either team.  A couple of holds and a couple of off-sides on both teams but absolutely no chippiness that I saw from either team.

I know that some might want to make some assumptions about this but frankly, there were 21 BR players (total) that I counted -and they were terribly overmatched.  I counted two (yes.....two) people sitting in the stands on the BR side.  Bear in mind, BR was potentially looking at the last FB game ever to be played at the school along with 21 players and yet only two people (at least from what I saw) there to watch.

I'm not making excuses for something inexcusable but I can't help but have a lot of sympathy for those kids and coaches.  I've seen it in other places in the past (Northwest, Manuel) where the kids are out there playing a game they literally have no chance in and the stands are empty just emphasizing that no one except they and their coaches gives a d@mn about them.  Frankly, I was there as much out of respect for both BR and what that football field meant to my kids that had considered it their (shared) home field.  It was going to be a sad evening for me but I was terribly saddened to see BR football end that way.  

I'm no bleeding heart....but what I see in games like this and what I wonder what it must be like for some of these kids breaks mine.  .

Accurate description of events and echo your sentiments about the BR kids and program. NorthWest kids last week were very classy and fought to the end with no issues like last night. Feel really bad for those kids with lack of support but no excuses for that behavior. Makes our kids appreciate what they have. Really sad situation. 

Must have not been that big a deal as I see no press really reporting on it.

7 minutes ago, Globemstr3 said:

Must have not been that big a deal as I see no press really reporting on it.

To have a game called because of a fight, between your own team, in the playoffs, in what potentially was the last game for a team whose school is shutting down.....is a big deal. 

I live adjacent to Broad Ripple's field and echo Lysander statements, I think they practiced once this week. Shame on IPS and BR administrators for letting this happen. And shame on the IHSAA for not only letting this game happen but implementing a system that gave BR a FREAKING BYE WEEK leading up to this game. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

To have a game called because of a fight, between your own team, in the playoffs, in what potentially was the last game for a team whose school is shutting down.....is a big deal. 

I live adjacent to Broad Ripple's field and echo Lysander statements, I think they practiced once this week. Shame on IPS and BR administrators for letting this happen. And shame on the IHSAA for not only letting this game happen but implementing a system that gave BR a FREAKING BYE WEEK leading up to this game. 

Cant blame the IHSAA for "letting this happen" they are in the tournament and by luck of the draw played Chatard. Why would they not play the game ? BR chose to play in the tournament. So not much anyone can do.  Doesn't really matter who they drew tbh. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/28/2017 at 1:27 PM, Footballking16 said:

Like I said It wasnt a BIG Deal apparently. That game should have never even been played! Complain to Bobby not me

14 minutes ago, Globemstr3 said:

Like I said It wasnt a BIG Deal apparently. That game should have never even been played! Complain to Bobby not me

So because it wasn't covered heavily it wasn't a big deal? There's a murder a day in Chicago that doesn't get near the coverage that kneeling NFL players get, does that mean one is a bigger deal than the other?

Let me put it this way, how many times have you seen a player (especially at the high school level) punch out his own coach on the sideline and then subsequently have the game called because of it? If you've seen it a lot than yeah I can understand why it might not be a big deal. But the fact is this doesn't happen often, it's a big deal and a black eye for the school and IPS in general.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

So because it wasn't covered heavily it wasn't a big deal? There's a murder a day in Chicago that doesn't get near the coverage that kneeling NFL players get, does that mean one is a bigger deal than the other?

Let me put it this way, how many times have you seen a player (especially at the high school level) punch out his own coach on the sideline and then subsequently have the game called because of it? If you've seen it a lot than yeah I can understand why it might not be a big deal. But the fact is this doesn't happen often, it's a big deal and a black eye for the school and IPS in general.

Amen.  Tragedies happen every day with little notice...or care.  It doesn't lessen the fact.

I personally think this was the saddest and, perhaps, the most significant thing that happened in Indiana HS football last Friday.

Just like the lack of fans in the stand...no one cares.  To me it signified what life is like for so many kids.  My guess is that it would have been national news had it occurred in the Fishers/HSE or Cathedral/Roncalli game - it certainly would have been Statewide news.

But then...it's just another IPS school....who cares?

Edited by Lysander

24 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Agreed.  Tragedies happen every day with little notice...or care.  It doesn't lessen the fact.

I personally think this was the saddest and, perhaps, the most significant thing that happened in Indiana HS football last Friday.

Just like the lack of fans in the stand...no one cares.  To me it signified what life is like for so many kids.  My guess is that it would have been national news had it occurred in the Fishers HSE or Cathedral Roncalli game it Cer

Definitely agreed. I don't think media was needed at that game because everyone knew that game was in doubt the second the ping pong balls were drawn. Why rub it in further and drag Broad Ripple football through the mud? They had an extremely long and uneventful season. Feel sorry for the majority of the Broad Ripple players but the decision to field and play a varsity schedule should have never been allowed. Going 0-10 and being outscored 507-90 is about as low as it gets, the fight on the sideline to end Broad Ripple football was simply the result of weeks of frustration and a failed system that allowed them to be there in the first place, in my opinion of course.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Upvote 1

On 10/30/2017 at 2:45 PM, Footballking16 said:

And if they were not arrested its sends a bigger picture. And No theres like 7 a day in the Windy City

8 minutes ago, Globemstr3 said:

And if they were not arrested its sends a bigger picture. And No theres like 7 a day in the Windy City

I agree its atroscious that game. But rather than *Deleted* how bout prosecute? IHSAA should ban BR in everything. Oh my what about our kids? Ya cant win. And its not getting any attention from IND (Liberal) Media how to stop? it Evansville Central comes to mind as well!

Edited by Globemstr3

What a shame.  I remember when BR won the City conference and played Roncalli in the sectional in 2009.  They had some very good players and were coached by Bob Ashworth, but they only had 6 fans in the stands.  Whenever Roncalli we played an IPS school with little to no fans, we would invite their cheerleaders to the visitor side and cheer with them.  We did that for Northwest who had 2 fans on their home side for the 2014 sectional.  They went 0-10 but they played hard!  We formed a fan tunnel for their players after the game just to try to show them some love.  Don't take your fans for granted!   

• Upvote 2

On 10/30/2017 at 3:31 PM, Footballking16 said:

Definitely agreed. I don't think media was needed at that game because everyone knew that game was in doubt the second the ping pong balls were drawn. Why rub it in further and drag Broad Ripple football through the mud? They had an extremely long and uneventful season. Feel sorry for the majority of the Broad Ripple players but the decision to field and play a varsity schedule should have never been allowed. Going 0-10 and being outscored 507-90 is about as low as it gets, the fight on the sideline to end Broad Ripple football was simply the result of weeks of frustration and a failed system that allowed them to be there in the first place, in my opinion of course.

Agree 100%

BR football should have been contracted when the announcement was made to close the school.  Same for any other pending school closure.

2 minutes ago, PCollier said:

What a shame.  I remember when BR won the City conference and played Roncalli in the sectional in 2009.  They had some very good players and were coached by Bob Ashworth, but they only had 6 fans in the stands.  Whenever Roncalli we played an IPS school with little to no fans, we would invite their cheerleaders to the visitor side and cheer with them.  We did that for Northwest who had 2 fans on their home side for the 2014 sectional.  They went 0-10 but they played hard!  We formed a fan tunnel for their players after the game just to try to show them some love.  Don't take your fans for granted!   

Very cool.  You should have formed a gauntlet and pummelled the admins who allow this type of thing to happen in the first place.  very poor judgement

1 hour ago, Globemstr3 said:

I agree its atroscious that game. But rather than *Deleted* how bout prosecute? IHSAA should ban BR in everything. Oh my what about our kids? Ya cant win. And its not getting any attention from IND (Liberal) Media how to stop? it Evansville Central comes to mind as well!

How does this relate to Evansville Central?  The program and school aren't closing.  There haven't been any fights or games cancelled.  They accumulate a few more personal foul penalties than some other teams. That's not even in the same ballpark.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rathernot said:

How does this relate to Evansville Central?  The program and school aren't closing.  There haven't been any fights or games cancelled.  They accumulate a few more personal foul penalties than some other teams. That's not even in the same ballpark.

There is no correlation.  Its a silly comparison.

• Upvote 1