• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Farewell to the Football Field

GID friends, I hate to sound needy. But in all honesty, I’ve got a tough week coming up. This coming Friday I expect to work a sectional final someplace. That game will mark the end of my 40th - and final - season as an on field official. Officiating has been such a significant part of my life for such a long time. It’s hard for me to visualize what life will be like without it. As my last game approaches, I know I’m going to be bombarded with many different feelings, Although I’ve known this was coming, it’s still hard for me to believe. But it’s getting real now. I’m sure I’ll have more to say as the week wears on. I have an awful lot of people to thank. But right now I’m alternating between disbelief and a mild depression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 20
  • Upvote 5

Bobref:  Thanks for your dedication & sacrifice to the game over the past 40 yrs.  I appreciate how willing you have been to share your knowledge here on the GID.  I know I have learned many things from you personally and your comments have always been "must read" material for me as I endeavor to better understand high school rules.  Wish you all the best in the next phase of your life and sincerely hope you continue to be an active GID contributor. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Bobref:  Thanks for your dedication & sacrifice to the game over the past 40 yrs.  I appreciate how willing you have been to share your knowledge here on the GID.  I know I have learned many things from you personally and your comments have always been "must read" material for me as I endeavor to better understand high school rules.  Wish you all the best in the next phase of your life and sincerely hope you continue to be an active GID contributor. 

Darn! And here I had my “you won’t have Bobref to kick around any more” speech all prepared. :07_v:

Seriously, thank you for the kind words. I definitely intend to stay involved in the game in some way. And I have no plans to retire from the GID.

5 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

THIS ^^^^^^

I was in the process of writing a similar comment but this one says it all.  Bob, you're such a great ambassador for Indiana High School football.  We've agreed and disagreed over the years, on a couple of your pet topics, but I will always respect your passion for the improvement of the game.   I just want to share my good wishes and look forward to your contributions on the GID from a different, yet still extremely knowledgeable perspective.  

• Upvote 1

Thank God you are not leaving the GID (we hope)!  Thank you for your wisdom, knowledge and insights over the years!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

It's guys like you, that MAKE a message board informative and interesting. Thanks. Now on the field, that's another story. I'd say there's probably a lot of moms and dads in the stands that might be saying, retirement couldn't come soon enough! LOL, kidding aside keep posting.

• Upvote 1

You can tell by your message what HS football has meant to you and how sincere you are.

Best of luck to you and thanks for everything you have given to the game.

• Upvote 2

Could not have said it any better than MDAlum82 put it... Congrats on a terrific officiating career..and as other have said.. thanks for the many posts that shine some light on what officials see and deal with on regular basis on the field.  I hope you'll continue to provide such insights and answers on GID for many years to come! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bobref said:

Darn! And here I had my “you won’t have Bobref to kick around any more” speech all prepared. :07_v:

Seriously, thank you for the kind words. I definitely intend to stay involved in the game in some way. And I have no plans to retire from the GID.

Run for the Presidential election.  Bobref 2020!

It was great to have met you a few weeks back and I wish you the best in your future.   Maybe you can  come and sit with Irish Line Mom and I at the Cathedral games?

Edited by PHJIndy

37 minutes ago, PHJIndy said:

It was great to have met you a few weeks back and I wish you the best in your future.   Maybe you can  come and sit with Irish Line Mom and I at the Cathedral games?

It’s a deal ... if the invitation includes the Irish tailgate.

Just now, bobref said:

It’s a deal ... if the invitation includes the Irish tailgate.

Oh yeah, there's always the tailgate!

Thanks for your dedication to the game. What is your fondest memory of your career?

• Upvote 1

Well done dedicated servant....well done.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rocket3117 said:

Thanks for your dedication to the game. What is your fondest memory of your career?

Without a doubt, the best memory is the time I spent as a crew chief. Over 20 yrs. with the same 4 guys every Friday night. Just an unbelievably great experience.

13 hours ago, bobref said:

GID friends, I hate to sound needy. But in all honesty, I’ve got a tough week coming up. This coming Friday I expect to work a sectional final someplace. That game will mark the end of my 40th - and final - season as an on field official. Officiating has been such a significant part of my life for such a long time. It’s hard for me to visualize what life will be like without it. As my last game approaches, I know I’m going to be bombarded with many different feelings, Although I’ve known this was coming, it’s still hard for me to believe. But it’s getting real now. I’m sure I’ll have more to say as the week wears on. I have an awful lot of people to thank. But right now I’m alternating between disbelief and a mild depression.

Why would Sectional Finals necessarily be your final game, did your crew work state finals in 2016?

1 minute ago, fbofficial said:

Why would Sectional Finals necessarily be your final game, did your crew work state finals in 2016?

Yes. I’m working on the crew that worked the 6A final last year.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your service.

Perhaps you could become more of the "Mike Pereira" of Indiana High School football.  

• Upvote 1

I am not going to be able to add much more than the already great posts made in this thread.    I echo many of those same sentiments.  I will say this, I appreciate Bobref's wiliness back in the day to put himself out there when this site was growing by leaps and bounds many years ago.  He didn't have to do that, but he felt their was a great need to have that official's voice on our board and had the courage to stay course even when it may have caused uneasiness in his profession from other officials, coaches, administrators alike.  

Cheers to you BobRef

• Upvote 1

Bob thanks for your many years of service and dedication to our game. I am honored that you were able to do our second round game and wish you the best in retirement. As always you have always been a true professional in all the games you have done for us. GOD BLESS & Good Luck

• Upvote 1

I hope you get the Warren Central-Ben Davis game, but, where ever you may be thank you for your service to the young people in Indiana as an official for generations of high school football. Now, go write a book on your experiences and enjoy watching a game on Friday night instead of being yelled at by coaches and fans. You deserve all the accolades you receive. You have always been a class act.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I hope you get the Warren Central-Ben Davis game.

From your lips to the Commissioner’s ear. :07_v:It would, indeed, be great to work just one more state championship caliber game. But they’re all big games this time of year. I’ll be happy wherever I go. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, fbofficial said:

14 hours ago, bobref said:

Yes. I’m working on the crew that worked the 6A final last year.

There's a Success Factor for officials also?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bobref said:

From your lips to the Commissioner’s ear. :07_v:It would, indeed, be great to work just one more state championship caliber game. But they’re all big games this time of year. I’ll be happy wherever I go. Thanks.

If you work the Decatur Central/Cathedral game, would it be OK for you to come to the Irish tailgate?:07_v:

2 minutes ago, PHJIndy said:

If you work the Decatur Central/Cathedral game, would it be OK for you to come to the Irish tailgate?:07_v:

What’s the IHSAA going to do to me if I do? :17_v:

• Haha 3