• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Titan32

Evansville Memorial (10-1) at Gibson Southern (11-0)

3 hours ago, CS31295 said:

GS is a little bigger at the WR....Memorial a little bigger on the line.....but overall these teams are nearly identical.   What I dont buy is that Memorials Coaching staff is better than GS.  

Im sorry, but Hurley took over for a team that was already a team that was better than their record and had a history and culture.  You really cannot deny it.  Hurley in my opinion is a good coach but its the Culture and history at Memorial that has helped him succeed.  The multiple generations of players definitely feeds into this too.

Hart had none of that.  He came into GS and immediately turned the offense into one of the most lethal in the state.  Completely flipped the program.  I also believe there have been a number of coaching changes within the program.  GS had no culture before Hart....there was no real fan base....and i believe i was one of the only, if not THE only GS members on this forum when he took over in 2012.

Im not even sure its worth noting that 2 former Big 8 Head coaches (at least that im aware of) who were pretty successful are now on the staff..2 former all state players are also on the staff.....Ill lean on Memorial having better athletes...but I honestly do not see them having a better coaching staff considering what has happened over the past 6 years at GS.  I really just dont.   The fact that every off season there is a rumor mill around Hart leaving for a college job or Mega high school job settles any doubt on that too. 

going with the over/under that started off this thread.....I am going to take GS in the win.......lets say 45-42

He was out coached . 

• Upvote 1

Awesome atmosphere.

Memorial wins it with a tough D and a great QB.  He sure was fun to watch.  Big passes and plays to keep drives alive.  How many times did GS think they had him for a big sack on those roll outs?  How about that punt?

Additionally, I think its pretty obvious lots of people only watch their own team play.  Do yourself a favor and skip your teams game when they have a bye week and watch some good football somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

Great game Memorial! Good luck rest of the way!

So how did this game go ? What were the deciding moments ?  I couldn't get to the game, I had business to attend to on the west side of Evansville. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bulldoggit said:

He was out coached . 

How do you justify that statement.

Just now, reitzfan98 said:

How do you justify that statement.

Hart that is.......GS. Hurley made the adjustments. 

13 minutes ago, War Daddy said:

So how did this game go ? What were the deciding moments ?  I couldn't get to the game, I had business to attend to on the west side of Evansville. 

Tough second quarter.  Couple turnovers that Memorial capitalized on. They had great field position the entire quarter.  Pretty much was the difference in the game.  Was 16 to 7 at half.   26 to 17 final.  

Man it's like crickets in here. Some need to come eat their crow. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

That was a really good game. Some of you scoffed when I said the GS pass defense was nothing special and their weak link. Lindauer tore GS apart as expected. That kid is special. Talk about extending plays and knowing when to throw the ball away.  You think you have him for a sack then he does his thing. 

I can't believe people actually thought GS would beat them handily. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Big8Football said:

That was a really good game. Some of you scoffed when I said the GS pass defense was nothing special and their weak link. Lindauer tore GS apart as expected. That kid is special. Talk about extending plays and knowing when to throw the ball away.  You think you have him for a sack then he does his thing. 

I actually picked GS by 3. I knew Lindauer was an all around great player, but wasn't real sure how good of a pure passer he was. Had I known what I do now, I'd have easily chosen Memorial. I did say that if the Tiger defense was as good as advertised, they would have a great shot to win. I never imagined only 17 pts for GS though. 

Congrats to Memorial on the Sectional Crown.

5 hours ago, War Daddy said:

My recap might be off on the order a bit:

GS started with the ball and had their best success early.  First drive ended with an INT in Mem territory and the second drive was a TD.  Most of that success was on the ground up the middle.  

Mem didn't have any early success moving the ball.  The first big swing came early in the second after Mem punted from their own 30 and downed the ball at (or inside) the one.  Two plays later on a bobbled snap in the endzone, safety.

The rest of the half was all Mem.  Two touchdowns later and the halftime score is 16-7. 

GS had a handful of three and outs sandwiched in there somewhere.  Mem's opening second half drive was also a TD.  23-7. 

Toward the middle of the 3rd/early 4th GS made a comeback.  A long pass set up another TD.  Lindauer fumbled (strip sack?) around the GS 10.  

GS would get a FG to make it 23-17 early in the fourth.  Mem answered with a FG 26-17.  GS would miss a 30-35 yard FG in the middle/late 4th quarter.  Mem answers with a game killing drive.

I'm guessing Mem won the time of possession and had more offensive snaps although GS dominated the first quarter.

GS had their chances.  A bunch of almost sacks on Lindauer, a dropped Mem 3rd down conversion here or there and it might have ended differently.  Ultimately, they lost because they struggled moving the ball consistently (especially passing.  Very little success outside of one long pass), and were playing against a great passer that made the throws to keep drives alive.

Edited by Alduflux

6 hours ago, Big8Football said:

Exactly.

22 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sorry Titans:   This guys' meathead pick has Memorial 28 Titans 14   

26-17    :17_v:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bulldoggit said:

Hart that is.......GS. Hurley made the adjustments. 

I was at the game and did not see any adjustment by Memorial that they didnt do the whole game. That game didnt come down to adjustments as it did execution and field position which had nothing to do with adjustments and everything to do with execution and for the most part Memorial had the advantage. Not having a dog in the fight I thought both teams gave it everything they had even with that GS had a chance just didnt execute. Good chance of seeing this matchup next year.

Congrats Memorial. Go win it all.

25 minutes ago, VIP said:

Congrats Memorial. Go win it all.

That would be just fine with me as well.

1 hour ago, reitzfan98 said:

I was at the game and did not see any adjustment by Memorial that they didnt do the whole game. That game didnt come down to adjustments as it did execution and field position which had nothing to do with adjustments and everything to do with execution and for the most part Memorial had the advantage. Not having a dog in the fight I thought both teams gave it everything they had even with that GS had a chance just didnt execute. Good chance of seeing this matchup next year.

Combs was the main focus after halftime. Gs kept running the same plays. How bout that D1receiver 2 touches. C'mon man. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bulldoggit said:

Combs was the main focus after halftime. Gs kept running the same plays. How bout that D1receiver 2 touches. C'mon man. 

I think you have your definitions if adjustments and gameplan confused. The 2 catches by the D1 receiver was a gameplan not an adjustment made during the game. Same with Combs, focal point all year, that my fried is not adjustments that is game planning and execution. Good game played by two good teams.

44 minutes ago, Bulldoggit said:

Sellers really disappointed me. I thought he would have been a better passer, but when they ran like they did they really didn't need to pass too much. As far as plays go I think Memorial ran basically the same plays in the 2nd quarter but they made the adjustments as far as execution. That made the difference.

24 minutes ago, MDfan said:

Sellers really disappointed me. I thought he would have been a better passer, but when they ran like they did they really didn't need to pass too much. As far as plays go I think Memorial ran basically the same plays in the 2nd quarter but they made the adjustments as far as execution. That made the difference.

Memorial did stop running the ball every first down play in the second half... opened up the offense a bit! Combs also calmed the addrenelin and made the plays he usually does.

11 minutes ago, RhinoMama73 said:

Memorial did stop running the ball every first down play in the second half... opened up the offense a bit! Combs also calmed the addrenelin and made the plays he usually does.

Completely agree. It was the right decision. They could have taken advantage of the one on one coverage on the outside the whole 2nd half...and did.

• Like 1

made it down for the game att he jewel. crowd was humongous. great game and that punt was phenomenal. having seen memorial play in oboro i felt like their defense could contain the titans. what surprised me was how well the titans ran the ball the second drive and how they went away from the run until their second td drive in the second half. both times they went right down the field. lindauers ability to maintain plays and throw the ball to spots where only his reciever could get it if it was completed impressed me. knowing when to throw the ball away is a trait that more qb's need to learn. 

The adjustment for EM was they couldn't run the ball so they passed it. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Titan35 said:

I am not sure that was an adjustment as much as taking advantage of what the defense was giving, single coverage and playing off the outside receivers. You have to take advantage of that. It's not like they don't usually pass the ball, they are a run/pass offense. 

They couldn't run the ball up the middle but once Ervin got outside the tackles he began to get yards. He finished with over 100 yards rushing.

Edited by jsawright

27 minutes ago, Titan35 said:

Isn't that the definition of adjustment... stop doing what isn't working and try to exploit a weakness you may see? Passing on first down helped Ervin and the running game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1