• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

College Football Playoff Rankings

I have been cautious as well Bob, but watching them live just shred what was the 6th ranked rush defense, I think they are better than many of us typical skeptics may think. What is surprising is the number of one loss teams in the top 10. This may be the best case season to push for expanding the number of teams that make the playoff. I do think there are some pretenders in the ranking that will not be there long. Wisconsin has a free ride and had a weak schedule all season. It may get them to the B1G Championship, but they will not win that. Miami needs to beat ND to have a prayer of hanging around, but I do not see that happening. TCU is in an average conference. Penn State has peaked in this poll. They will not play for the conference championship and their last shot at a quality wind vanished in the 4th quarter Saturday evening. I like TCU, but question the overall strength of the Big 12. They do have a lot of teams in this poll though; similar to what we would see with the B1G in years past, only to prove to be pretenders.

While I am skeptical of the Irish at the moment, I do think the most vulnerable team for dropping out of this is Clemson.

On another note, it appears Bama and Georgia are on a collision course. I can honestly see the loser of that game staying in the top 4.

Two things that stand out.

1) Clemson. How a one loss Clemson team is ranked above Oklahoma or Ohio State is beyond me. Clemson by far and away has the worst loss of the three and both Ohio State and Oklahoma have a better signature win.

2) Notre Dame. ND's initial ranking now makes it almost impossible to justify a one loss Oklahoma or Ohio State jumping Notre Dame if all 3 win out. I'll preface it this way, I agree that ND is playing some of the best football in the country right now. I understand that ND has beaten the most ranked teams in the country, but I believe their SOS is going to be drastically different at the end of the year. Michigan State will likely end up a 4 loss team (Penn State and OSU remaining) and will be unranked. NC State (Clemson this weekend) likely pushes them to 3 losses and unranked. USC with 2 losses is a good, not great win. A lot still hangs in the balance with Miami and Stanford but I just don't see those as great wins as neither have looked like great teams compared to Oklahoma winning at OSU and OSU beating Penn State. OSU and Oklahoma to date both have top 5 wins, and if they win out will include other top 10 wins. I firmly believe that if all 3 win out OSU and Oklahoma will both have better resumes than ND + conference championships. I just have a hunch that ND initially being ranked ahead of OSU and Oklahoma justifies them staying ahead if they fail to lose.

A lot of football left to be played and I'm sure things will play themselves out but just find it unfathomable that Clemson is ranked ahead of OSU and Oklahoma currently and believe that ND was strategically ranked third with some political bias.

• Like 1

I'm with Fooballking16 on this one.  There is a lot of football left to be played.  Just sit back and enjoy the games and we'll see who is where in another 3 weeks.  Right now the only problem I have is with Georgia and Alabama being 1 and 2.  It's already been said that if both win out and play each other in the SEC title game, the loser would STILL get in the playoff.  I don't agree with that.  Ohio State's loss to Oklahoma seems years away at this point.  Should they win out and beat (probably undefeated Wisconsin) in the B1G title game, that would give them two wins over top 5 teams.  Would anyone else in the playoff picture have that on their resume?  Certainly not 'Bama, or Georgia.

On a side not:  Indianapolis was awarded the 2022 College Football Championship game.  Wow!

23 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Two things that stand out.

1) Clemson. How a one loss Clemson team is ranked above Oklahoma or Ohio State is beyond me. Clemson by far and away has the worst loss of the three and both Ohio State and Oklahoma have a better signature win.

2) Notre Dame. ND's initial ranking now makes it almost impossible to justify a one loss Oklahoma or Ohio State jumping Notre Dame if all 3 win out. I'll preface it this way, I agree that ND is playing some of the best football in the country right now. I understand that ND has beaten the most ranked teams in the country, but I believe their SOS is going to be drastically different at the end of the year. Michigan State will likely end up a 4 loss team (Penn State and OSU remaining) and will be unranked. NC State (Clemson this weekend) likely pushes them to 3 losses and unranked. USC with 2 losses is a good, not great win. A lot still hangs in the balance with Miami and Stanford but I just don't see those as great wins as neither have looked like great teams compared to Oklahoma winning at OSU and OSU beating Penn State. OSU and Oklahoma to date both have top 5 wins, and if they win out will include other top 10 wins. I firmly believe that if all 3 win out OSU and Oklahoma will both have better resumes than ND + conference championships. I just have a hunch that ND initially being ranked ahead of OSU and Oklahoma justifies them staying ahead if they fail to lose.

A lot of football left to be played and I'm sure things will play themselves out but just find it unfathomable that Clemson is ranked ahead of OSU and Oklahoma currently and believe that ND was strategically ranked third with some political bias.

Doesn't Clemson get any credit for being defending national champs?  Syracuse is a decent team.  

13 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Doesn't Clemson get any credit for being defending national champs?  Syracuse is a decent team.  

I don't see how last years team has anything to do with this years team? But to answer your question it's probably a reason why they are in the top 4. And like ND, Clemson initially being ranked ahead of OSU and Oklahoma is going to open a can of worms in the event they all win out. The ACC this year is a notch below the B10 and B12 but it's going to be awfully hard to justify a team jumping another team who doesn't lose.

Schools like Alabama, Oklahoma, USC and Ohio State have always received the benefit of their legacy reputation when it comes to polling.  Perhaps Clemson is now deserving of some of that good will as well.

My favorite item in this poll?

Iowa State at #15.

Is Iowa State any different than IU?

Its all about catching fire and getting the right coach in charge.

Matt Campbell is the hottest coach in the country.  And he was right under IUs nose in Toledo, Ohio.  Fred Glass really needs to be held accountable to a higher standard.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21220418/iowa-state-cyclones-coach-matt-campbell-king-slaying-miracle-working-toast-college-football

Matt Campbell wasn't available as Wilson was still employed but I do think he's done a tremendous job at ISU thus far. Campbell's predecessor at Toledo, Tim Beckman was a train wreck at Illinois.

• Upvote 2

Two words why Clemson won last year and why they don't get as much consideration this year....Deshaun Watson. I know there are others who played key roles, but that guy was a difference maker.

I will agree that some programs do get a legacy vote. While people like to make fun of Notre Dame, I don't think they have been the beneficiary of such a boost the last few years. Florida State, in my mind gets the gold medal as far as a team that gets ranked highly cased on rep. The last few years, they have not been deserving of a ranking, and yet a couple polls still have them in the 20's.

18 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Two words why Clemson won last year and why they don't get as much consideration this year....Deshaun Watson. I know there are others who played key roles, but that guy was a difference maker.

I will agree that some programs do get a legacy vote. While people like to make fun of Notre Dame, I don't think they have been the beneficiary of such a boost the last few years. Florida State, in my mind gets the gold medal as far as a team that gets ranked highly cased on rep. The last few years, they have not been deserving of a ranking, and yet a couple polls still have them in the 20's.

All of the Florida schools (FSU/Florida/Miami) have been overhyped over the past two decades.  That seems to be correcting itself now.  Note the skepticism relative to unbeaten Miami's ranking in the poll.  

Edited by DrivenT

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Tim Beckman was a train wreck at Illinois.

Oh man, that doesn't give it justice!! 

20 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Oh man, that doesn't give it justice!! 

ok ok Hazell was the train wreck, Beckman got scalped. Too much...?

• Haha 1

Sadly, spot on 

I tried and tried as you know to give him the benefit of the doubt but at the end, just bad, but more so shot a Burke led athletic department University wide