• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
bowwowindy1

HS Coach Resigns Over Death Threats

Since we've had posts regarding firing and resigning, I'd like to think there has been no circumstance of this in our neighborhood.  For perspective...In their day, the Middies were really good.  Not so much anymore.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/ohio-high-school-football-coach-resigns-after-allegedly-receiving-death-threats

9 minutes ago, bowwowindy1 said:

Since we've had posts regarding firing and resigning, I'd like to think there has been no circumstance of this in our neighborhood.  For perspective...In their day, the Middies were really good.  Not so much anymore.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/ohio-high-school-football-coach-resigns-after-allegedly-receiving-death-threats

Hope it doesn't happen to others.

Personally, had it happen to me....person to person.  Filed report with police.  I had many witnesses.

Nothing of any consequence happened to the person making the threats.

Threats and intimidation happen more often than you think... try being a coach's wife (or kid) in the stands! Fortunately no death threats and only once did I have to contemplate a restraining order. One perpetrator was banned from games (but it was never enforced). 

• Upvote 1

A few years ago, I had a contest where the HC (still coaching now) said the same thing to us in pregame.  I was floored and astounded.  

If we ever cross paths again I will NOT bring up that situation, as is NOT my intent to put him on the defensive.  

Why, is an extracurricular activity so important to parents and students? 

Neither one of your lives is THAT dependent on sports....ACADEMICS is the answer!   

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Wow, sorry that would ever happen to anyone.  A "You *%#!?*" is not the same as "I'm going to kill you".

Amazing that happens.  Maybe it's the no carry on school property rule that makes someone feel they can get away with it.  If it happens in general public, you could be drawn on.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RhinoMama73 said:

Threats and intimidation happen more often than you think... try being a coach's wife (or kid) in the stands! Fortunately no death threats and only once did I have to contemplate a restraining order. One perpetrator was banned from games (but it was never enforced). 

That's the reason why my wife never sat in the bleachers.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bowwowindy1 said:

Wow, sorry that would ever happen to anyone.  A "You *%#!?*" is not the same as "I'm going to kill you".

Amazing that happens.  Maybe it's the no carry on school property rule that makes someone feel they can get away with it.  If it happens in general public, you could be drawn on.

Agreed. For me the "You *%#&33;?" didn't even come up. It was the other quote you stated. It was preceded with "If I ever see you away from here, ...". 

• Upvote 1

My former U had an angry parent follow him to his car after a lower level game, yelling all the way. My U got to his unmarked ISP cruiser, unlocked the door, grabbed a pair of handcuffs off the light control and asked is there going to be a problem? This was over a MS Football game. Another guy I have worked with and known for years was beaten pretty good at Beech Grove last year in a youth game by a parent. 

As a coach we talked constantly to our teams about perspective. Eight people are dead in New York because of some maniac. People in Puerto Rico are still trying to survive after a hurricane over a month ago. Mexico is still digging out after a horrendous earthquake, and we're playing a game. The sun will come up tomorrow regardless of the outcome of this game, I promise. 

I've dealt with a death threat at work, it never concerned me that much, but it scared the hell of me about my family. What if he showed up at my house and I wasn't there? This was 20 years ago, today is a completely different world.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1