• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
BigTimeDB

11-1 Scecina vs 9-3 Western Boone (at Webo)

The Sagarin has these teams within two points of each other.  The game will be played at Webo on grass.  The field has been in good shape all season and not played on in two weeks.  Park Tudor is a common opponent but it was the first of Sept when they played Scecina.  Thoughts?

Edited by BigTimeDB

Scecina "the Recruiting" private school will handle Webo...... hard to play with a school when their roster consists of kids from all over the state. One of the their key players was a starter at HSE last year and now he's at a 2A P/P. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I have a friend who has a son that is an absolute stud at a indy suburb school.  ALL the p/p schools been banging on his door since the boy was a 7th grader. Dad told them "we can't afford to send him there".  p/p schools response  "it's taken care of, no worries on money we'll give him an academic waiver". Dad: "he's not a great student" . P/p: " we'll take care of it". 

Dad: " we don't  have a way to get him there" p/p schools " we'll come get him and get him a ride home" . 

"But P/P schools don't have an unfair advantage......

Edited by Chief Flyin BearCat in Sox
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, Canoe Fest Charlie said:

Howe fan on John Harrell claims they have 2 starters from last year’s team as well.

Scecina does have two players who started at Howe last season.

• Thanks 1

It was a matter of time when the “  recruiting “ word comes out. 

Please let me know the kids that are from all over the state. HSE kid sat out last year, and plays this year. This happens more than you think throughout high schools. What else, Chief?

Please tell me you are not just hanging all your thread on that one HSE transfer, please tell me you have more. 

• Haha 1

I think it will be a great game with 2 pretty evenly matched teams.  Special teams will probably be the difference.

1 hour ago, Eastside10 said:

It was a matter of time when the “  recruiting “ word comes out. 

Please let me know the kids that are from all over the state. HSE kid sat out last year, and plays this year. This happens more than you think throughout high schools. What else, Chief?

Please tell me you are not just hanging all your thread on that one HSE transfer, please tell me you have more. 

Oh yes it happens all over.....(sarcasm)

Kids jumping ship to make public schools all star teams..... (sarcasm)

I don't get why kids allow them selves to be poached by the p/p schools.  Yes they get to play for an all star team amd get great educations but most of the p/p schools don't even have their own field and play at less than stellar facilities and playing in front of your home crowd use to mean something 

I won't get into the debate again this year. That's where I got all my down votes from, picking on the p/p teams last year and hurting feelings. Not fair for a solid public school team to have to play a p/p school in the tournament.  Put all the p/p schools in their own class come tourney time. 

• Upvote 1

I get back with you later Chief.

I’m going to watch CYO Championship games today at Chatard, I think they own that field. CYO is the feeder systems that the p/p gets most of their kids.

3rd and 4th grade

5th and 6th grade

tomorrow 7th and 8th.

Come out and watch it’s fun!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Eastside10 said:

I get back with you later Chief.

I’m going to watch CYO Championship games today at Chatard, I think they own that field. CYO is the feeder systems that the p/p gets most of their kids.

3rd and 4th grade

5th and 6th grade

tomorrow 7th and 8th.

Come out and watch it’s fun!

Yes....I've heard of the CYO and their feeder systems and that the guru churns the butter in the cyo. There is absolutely nothing wrong with building strong programs. I know these kids get quality educations and their college attendance rates are like 98.6%. I feel they have an unfair advantage against public schools which typically have 1 or 2 great seasons to which p/p are good year in and year out. If I don't get to the cyo butter churning championships ....go ahead and start with out me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chief Flyin BearCat in Sox said:

Oh yes it happens all over.....(sarcasm)

Kids jumping ship to make public schools all star teams..... (sarcasm)

Here's how it works in the other direction (more often than you think) in larger urban areas:

Scenario 1 (most common):  1A/2A p/p kid gets varsity time in a sport as frosh/soph and does well.  Buddies/parents from offseason club team convince parents that if he wants to play after high school, he needs to join them at 5A/6A public school.  1A/2A p/p varsity becomes de facto JV for this type of player.  No involvement needed by receiving coaches, so no violations, just individual choice.

Scenario 2 (less common, but definitely happens):  1A/2A p/p kid gets varsity time, maybe even all conference/county/state in the p/p program.  Assistant coaches from local 5A/6A school convince him no colleges above D3 will notice him if he plays his final 1-2 seasons at the small school level, but if he joins them to play "big boy" football, they can get him exposure.  The more unscrupulous might even guarantee offers.  In theory, the p/p school could claim undue influence, but even if the case could be established and the IHSAA could be convinced (HUGE hurdle), the most likely penalty harms the player more than the offending staff.  Doesn't seem worth it.

Here's an idea:  How about we just focus on two good football teams trying to earn a matchup with Eastbrook?  I like Scecina's chances with a balanced run/pass attack on offense.

36 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

Here's how it works in the other direction (more often than you think) in larger urban areas:

Scenario 1 (most common):  1A/2A p/p kid gets varsity time in a sport as frosh/soph and does well.  Buddies/parents from offseason club team convince parents that if he wants to play after high school, he needs to join them at 5A/6A public school.  1A/2A p/p varsity becomes de facto JV for this type of player.  No involvement needed by receiving coaches, so no violations, just individual choice.

Scenario 2 (less common, but definitely happens):  1A/2A p/p kid gets varsity time, maybe even all conference/county/state in the p/p program.  Assistant coaches from local 5A/6A school convince him no colleges above D3 will notice him if he plays his final 1-2 seasons at the small school level, but if he joins them to play "big boy" football, they can get him exposure.  The more unscrupulous might even guarantee offers.  In theory, the p/p school could claim undue influence, but even if the case could be established and the IHSAA could be convinced (HUGE hurdle), the most likely penalty harms the player more than the offending staff.  Doesn't seem worth it.

Here's an idea:  How about we just focus on two good football teams trying to earn a matchup with Eastbrook?  I like Scecina's chances with a balanced run/pass attack on offense.

Scecina won't get challenged the rest of the season. Even a good eastbrook team won't be a match. I think scecina's only loss was to 4A Roncalli. Eastbrook was very good last season were no match for Ritter

• Haha 1

We play in a conference with 4 P/P, Lutheran, Park Tudor, Ritter, and Scecina. It has forced us to step up our game in order to compete at that level and we have done just that. WIth the voucher system, I have no issues with kids playing where they want. The "recruiting" excuse is just that. An excuse, and a bad one at that. No one seems to care or talk about the p/p debate until they win something. Sure, Scecina has talent, but they are a well coached ball club who plays hard and minimizes mistakes. They don't turn the ball over often, have very few penalties, and do a lot of the intangibles that lead to a winning season. 

I would like to think we challenged them last night, losing a game 14-0 to them, and we were without 3 key starters on both sides of the ball. I think any team they play the rest of the tourney will present plenty of challenges for them. They may be the favorite to win state, but I can make the case why that is with examples on the field rather than a lame, worn out, poor example of an excuse such as, "they recruit." 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

As far as this game is concerned, I haven't seen much of WeBo, but from what I have heard and observed from a far they seem like a solid team. What type of offense do they run? What are their strengths/weaknesses on defense? 

Scecina has the ability to play and win both a track meet and slug it out physical type of game. Their QB is accurate and is able to find wide receivers. #4 is a stud WR and WeBo will need to be aware of where he is at all times. Their run game features a lot of straight ahead iso out of the I. They do have quite a few strong tendecies on O, but their kids go out and execute. The key to their success is that they can be patient, and don't try to go for the homerun every play. 

Defensively, they have a ton of team speed. They swarm to the ball and are very disciplined in their approach. They primarily are in a 4-front, but can shift into a 5-2 look in short yardage situations. The kids play well as a unit, communicate, and prevent big plays. 

Will be a great game to watch IMO. 

Edited by TCfootball70

17 minutes ago, TCfootball70 said:

As far as this game is concerned, I haven't seen much of WeBo, but from what I have heard and observed from a far they seem like a solid team. What type of offense do they run? What are their strengths/weaknesses on defense? 

Scecina has the ability to play and win both a track meet and slug it out physical type of game. Their QB is accurate and is able to find wide receivers. #4 is a stud WR and WeBo will need to be aware of where he is at all times. Their run game features a lot of straight ahead iso out of the I. They do have quite a few strong tendecies on O, but their kids go out and execute. The key to their success is that they can be patient, and don't try to go for the homerun every play. 

Defensively, they have a ton of team speed. They swarm to the ball and are very disciplined in their approach. They primarily are in a 4-front, but can shift into a 5-2 look in short yardage situations. The kids play well as a unit, communicate, and prevent big plays. 

Will be a great game to watch IMO. 

Webo runs a spread offense. They played tipton last week. Saw on GID scores that tipton had the lead and the ball with 2 min left but webo ended up winning.  Mark this post for reference: no 2A will give them a challenge.  Triton is solid team year in and out. They are the only public school to compete with them all season (0-21and 0-14). All other games were blow outs. IF triton got past them last night the trophy would'e been their's for the taking.

Sagarin Ratings are pretty accurate this late in the season. With home field advantage for Western Boone, Sagarin predicts this game as a draw. Western Boone has played a stronger strength of schedule as well.

Eastbrook is a 9 point favorite against Scecina. It doesn't appear as if Scecina will role through the tournament unchallenged.

• Upvote 1

If we do look at common opponent (Park Tudor), score vs Scecina in Sept was 20-40 while the score vs Webo was 7-46 last night.  It looks like Scecina scored the 40 points by the half so I would assume them not scoring in the 2nd half and Park Tudor scoring 20 in the 4th was due to JV squads.  Last night I heard Park Tudor had some ineligibles early in the season who were contributing in the post season.  Not sure how much this would factor in.  

3 hours ago, Chief Flyin BearCat in Sox said:

Webo runs a spread offense. They played tipton last week. Saw on GID scores that tipton had the lead and the ball with 2 min left but webo ended up winning.  Mark this post for reference: no 2A will give them a challenge.  Triton is solid team year in and out. They are the only public school to compete with them all season (0-21and 0-14). All other games were blow outs. IF triton got past them last night the trophy would'e been their's for the taking.

Man why did you have to bring that up again? Lol 

Without knowing a whole lot about Scecina, I expect this to be a good game. Webo brought a great crowd to Tipton so I'm going to guess playing this game at home, they will have a huge crowd. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chief Flyin BearCat in Sox said:

We lost by 11, but i guess thats a blowout. LOL... were down 21-26 into the 4th quarter.  I can tell you, most of the main cogs for Scecina have at least been there since they were freshmen, so to say OH THEY RECRUIT is laughable at best. They are a very good football team, that beat every team in a very good ICC. I love the fact that in our conference we get to play 4 of the P/P schools. The 4 public schools are all better for it.

37 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

Without knowing a whole lot about Scecina, I expect this to be a good game. Webo brought a great crowd to Tipton so I'm going to guess playing this game at home, they will have a huge crowd. 

Considering the 1 hr drive and weather that night, we did bring a good crowd to Tipton.  The crowd last night was crazy, 3/4 of the main stands and lots of people on the hill in lawn chairs.  The caravan through Lebanon and Thorntown had a lot of participants also.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Fballfan15 said:

I'm sorry. Tipton was having an excellent season. What I've been told Tipton had the game won. Hard to end the season like that. I think tipton would'e been a much better matchup vs scecina.

• Upvote 1

So how good is Scenia without the HSE transfer/recruit?? Not trying to stir anything- just a legitimate question...are they still at this point playing for a regional?? 

Just now, jets said:

So how good is Scenia without the HSE transfer/recruit?? Not trying to stir anything- just a legitimate question...are they still at this point playing for a regional?? 

Im not saying he's the only reason they're good. Watching vball championships today 4 of the 8 schools were p/p. P/p schools just have an advantage in about every sport. Just my 2 cents worth. They will win regional and semi-state handily. 

1 hour ago, Chief Flyin BearCat in Sox said:

Im not saying he's the only reason they're good. Watching vball championships today 4 of the 8 schools were p/p. P/p schools just have an advantage in about every sport. Just my 2 cents worth. They will win regional and semi-state handily. 

Handily?! Wow...

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, jets said:

Handily?! Wow...

I caution you to consider the great intellect making that prediction.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1