• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  Tell City:  Josh Teague  Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly 
Sign in to follow this  

I like what Dave Mosbey did in the PAC thread..so mine will be sort of similar. 

Last Season Standings

1. Washington  6-0

2. Mt. Carmel  5-1

3. Jasper  3-3

4. Mt. Vernon  2-4 (tie)

Princeton  2-4 (tie)

Lincoln  2-4 (tie)

7. Boonville  1-5

2017-2018 Preview

(rosters are based off max preps, unsure of accuracy)

Boonville Pioneers

Returning varsity roster: 1 senior, 3 juniors, 2 soph (roster on max preps seems incomplete)

Boonville looks to have a pretty young roster once again following a 3 win season last year. They will have a new head coach Brian Schoonover. The Pioneers could have a long season ahead.

Jasper Wildcats

Returning varsity roster: 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 1 soph

I expect Jasper to be...well, Jasper. They seem to have a good group of veteran players every year. They're well coached by John Goebel, play sound fundamentally, and will make you earn what you get. Despite losing Nottingham, I think the Wildcats will be a factor in the conference race. Unfortunately, they make the jump to 4A and will be up against the likes of Reitz and Castle come sectional time. 

Mt. Carmel Golden Aces

Returning varsity roster: 4 seniors, 5 juniors

The big question mark for Mt. Carmel is whether their stud Marcotte will be able to play. An injury before football season sidelined him. Not totally sure what it was. (ACL?) With Marcotte, this team is the unquestioned Big 8 favorite (and a probable Illinois state final favorite), but even without him I think they will be strong contenders.  

Mt. Vernon Wildcats

Returning varsity roster: 6 seniors, 1 juniors, 5 soph

Mt. Vernon seems to return a wealth of experience. I expect some improvement from 7 wins a year ago. Based on the recent history though, I'm not gonna call them a contender yet...will have to see more. 

Princeton Tigers

Returning varsity roster: 5 seniors, 4 juniors

Princeton has a lot of experience coming back as well. Unlike Mt. Vernon though, I'm gonna say the Tigers will be a force in the conference. They had several close losses last season that they could flip in their favor this year. 

Vincennes Lincoln Alices

Returning varsity roster: 6 seniors, 4 juniors

Coming off their first losing season since 2010-11, Lincoln looks to rebound in a big way for 2nd year coach Josh Thompson. They return 4 of 5 starters and 4 others who played significant varsity time. This group struggled to score last season under a new system, but looked really good at times. Despite only winning 8 regular season games, the Alices were able to make it to the sectional championship. I think they can build off that this year, and they should with the talent they have back. Lincoln will definitely be in the mix, but the conference is so experienced it's hard to say where they will finish. 

Washington Hatchets

Returning varsity roster: 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 soph

Unlike most of the conference, Washington looks to have minimal varsity experience coming back this year. They lost a great bunch of seniors that led them to the 2016-17 Big 8 title. I think the Hatchets will be competitive as always with Coach Miiller at the helm. But with the rest of the conference on the upswing, they will be middle of the pack at best. 

This is a very general summary of each team. I don't claim to have any inside knowledge other than VL. This is all based off of the teams I saw play last season and the projected rosters. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF YOU SEE AN ERROR.

So there's a lot of experience, but a lot of uncertainty in the conference in 2017-18. This could easily be a year where there's a 2 or 3 way tie for 1st place. If I had to choose now, I would say Mt. Carmel is the favorite. Even without Marcotte, they still return most of the team that went deep into the Illinois tourney and lost to Chicago Orr. They've got a good coach in Tyler Buss who has been there a while. I feel like they've got the right combination of experience, coaching, and familiarity going right now. Of course, I can see Lincoln, Jasper and even Princeton rising to the top. 

Edited by SEAL_63
  • Like 2

Big 8 should be pretty competitive this year with, I believe, Princeton, Jasper, Vincennes battling for the crown. I believe/hope Lincoln will come into this season with a chip on their shoulder from last year's disappointment. Have heard they are pretty banged up in the early going though. Looking forward to a great basketball season from all teams!

Evansville Courier lists a predicted fininsh for the BIG Eight but not the PAC.

Princeton

Jasper

Washington

Mount Carmel

Lincoln

Boonville

Mount Vernon

I can agree with Princeton 1st but not sure about the rest .

Before Jackson Marcotte went down for Mt. Carmel i would have picked them 1st, but now i think it will look like this.

Princeton

Mt.Carmel

Lincoln

Jasper

Washington

Boonville 

Mount Vernon

Washington, Jasper and Lincoln all being interchangeable. Lincoln is off to good start early in the season.

• Upvote 1

We haven't had much in conference action yet.

Vincennes 4-2 (1-0) 44-31 W over Mt. Carmel

Boonville 2-1 (1-0) 64-47 W over Mt. Vernon 

Princeton 4-1 (0-0) Plays @ Vincennes this Friday. This game could go a long way in deciding if there will be an outright champion or a share of the title

Jasper 1-2 (0-0) Moved up to 4A. 4 of their first 5 games (other than Dubois Tourney) are against Evansville teams. 

Washington 1-3 (0-0) One has to think that Gene Miller will get these guys playing better. They might end up being a thorn in someone's side by season's end, but this has to be one of Washington's shortest and least athletic teams in a very long time. 

Mt. Carmel 5-4 (0-1) They will be a tough out for anyone.

Mt. Vernon 0-6 (0-1) 

CONF AG OA DA AM STREAK
Princeton 1-  0 7-  2 63.6 58.2 5.3 Won 2
Boonville 1-  0 2-  4 55.8 59.0 -3.2 Lost 3
Vincennes Lincoln 1-  1 5-  4 54.3 47.6 6.8 Won 1
Jasper 0-  0 3-  3 51.2 53.3 -2.2 Won 1
Washington 0-  0 2-  5 45.4 57.9 -12.4 Won 1
Mount Carmel (Ill.) 0-  1 6-  7 57.2 53.5 3.7 Lost 3
Mount Vernon (Posey) 0-  1 0-  8 47.1 71.6 -24.5 Lost

It's still very early, but Princeton is in the driver's seat after squeezing out a hard fought win on the road at Lincoln. All their remaining major conference games (Jasper, Washington) are at home. They do play at Mt.Carmel but the Aces have so far been a shell of their 2016 selves without Marcotte. 

On 12/30/2017 at 11:12 AM, SEAL_63 said:
  CONF AG OA DA AM STREAK
Princeton 1-  0 7-  2 63.6 58.2 5.3 Won 2
Boonville 1-  0 2-  4 55.8 59.0 -3.2 Lost 3
Vincennes Lincoln 1-  1 5-  4 54.3 47.6 6.8 Won 1
Jasper 0-  0 3-  3 51.2 53.3 -2.2 Won 1
Washington 0-  0 2-  5 45.4 57.9 -12.4 Won 1
Mount Carmel (Ill.) 0-  1 6-  7 57.2 53.5 3.7 Lost 3
Mount Vernon (Posey) 0-  1 0-  8 47.1 71.6 -24.5 Lost

It's still very early, but Princeton is in the driver's seat after squeezing out a hard fought win on the road at Lincoln. All their remaining major conference games (Jasper, Washington) are at home. They do play at Mt.Carmel but the Aces have so far been a shell of their 2016 selves without Marcotte. 

Has Vincennes gotten all their players back from injury?

4 hours ago, Gahoosierfan said:

Has Vincennes gotten all their players back from injury?

No, Kotter has not played yet. He has been cleared to practice, per the Vincennes Sun Commercial. 

CONF AG OA DA AM STREAK
Princeton 3-  0 10-  2 62.6 55.4 7.2 Won 5
Jasper 2-  0 5-  4 53.8 49.4 4.3 Won 2
Washington 1-  0 4-  6 51.6 55.9 -4.3 Lost 1
Boonville 1-  1 3-  7 57.3 59.1 -1.8 Lost 3
Vincennes Lincoln 2-  2 8-  5 55.8 48.9 6.8 Won 1
Mount Carmel (Ill.) 0-  2 7-  9 56.3 54.5 1.8 Lost 2
Mount Vernon (Posey) 0-  4 0-12 45.3 70.6 -25.3 Lost 13

It's starting to look like there will be an outright champion after all. The Feb. 13 meeting of Jasper at Princeton should be the deciding game. Jasper could surprise, but they are always a much different team on the road. I predict that the Tigers will earn their first Big 8 crown since 08-09. 

Lincoln, meanwhile, has had average results in conference play. To be knocked out of the race by mid season is disappointing. And losing to the Cats in basketball NEVER sits well. Still, this group has a lot of potential to make some post season noise. And they should wrap up 3rd place in the league with 2 remaining home games. 

I'm still predicting Washington to finish middle of the pack at 3-3. Gene Miiller is getting the most out of his boys as you would expect.

Boonville has shown improvement with their new head coach. They've only mustered 3 wins to this point, but are only being outscored by a mere 2 pts a game. I think they will defeat Mt Carmel in a battle for 5th place. Speaking of MC...

The surprise of the year for me has been the Golden Aces fall from grace. I really expected more from this team despite losing the Marcotte kid. With several conference road games remaining, it will be tough to earn more than a win or two in the league. 

Mt Vernon has yet to even come close to beating anyone. I don't expect them to earn a Big 8 win. 

Edited by SEAL_63

BIG EIGHT
ALL TIMES CENTRAL

CONF AG OA DA AM STREAK
Princeton 3-  0 13-  3 63.7 55.4 8.3 Won 1
Jasper 3-  0 7-  6 53.2 51.9 1.3 Lost 1
Washington 2-  0 5-  8 49.8 54.2 -4.5 Lost 1
Vincennes Lincoln 2-  2 11-  6 57.2 50.5 6.7 Won 2
Mount Carmel (Ill.) 1-  2 12-10 58.8 53.9 5.0 Won 1
Boonville 1-  4 3-11 55.3 61.0 -5.7 Lost 7
Mount Vernon (Posey) 0-  4 0-17 44.8 68.8 -24.0 Lost 18

Princeton and Jasper remain on a collision course Feb. 13 at Princeton with the Big 8 on the line, winner take all. 

Princeton- The Tigers have been able to maintain a consistent high level of play all season, including Big 8 play. Their season has pretty much gone as expected. Wilkerson is one of the top players, if not the top player, in the conference. I still expect them to defeat Jasper at home to win the outright title. And they will be a slight favorite over Vincennes to win Sectional 32. 

Jasper- I didn't expect the Cats to be in such a good position for a Big 8 title, but I'm not totally surprised either. They are so good at defending home court and it's an even year so they play 4 out of 6 conference games, including VL, at the new Jasper gym. I guess they could lose at home to Mt. Carmel or Washington leading up to the Princeton game, but that's highly unlikely. The strange thing about Jasper is they've not fared very well outside of the conference (4-6). 

Vincennes Lincoln- It's been a season of sky high peaks and rock bottom valleys for the Alices (more peaks than valleys). After losing to little brother county rival South Knox for the first time in 25 years AT HOME two Friday's ago, they followed it up the next weekend with a sweep of the two best teams in Evansville, one of them being state finals favorite #2 Bosse on the road. Unlike Jasper, some of Lincoln's best basketball has been played in non conference play. No doubt it's been disappointing to not have a shot at the conference, but this team has its sights set on a sectional title and they've shown they've got the team to contend for it.

Washington, Mt Carmel- These two will most likely be playing for 4th place when they meet Feb 16. Washington may be 2-0 in league play, but has yet to play Lincoln, Princeton, or Jasper. 

Boonville, Mt Vernon- The young Pioneers started 3-4 and seemed like they could put a decent campaign together, but has since dropped 7 in a row.

Mt Vernon has issues. Based on their remaining schedule, I can't really see where they might pick up a win. 0-24 is looking pretty realistic 

Edited by SEAL_63
  • Like 1

I know it doesn't effect the conference standings, but man did Vincennes play well this weekend...as tough as a Friday/Sat stretch as you can have. Very impressed with their toughness coming off the very difficult loss to SK. 

• Like 1

Princeton moves to 4-0 in conference with a 78-42 win over Washington.  The tigers host a Saturday afternoon game with winless Mt. Vernon. 

It looks like Princeton is definitely going to win the Big8. Only Jasper can stop them and if they do they would most likely tie for the title. Vincennes hosts Washington tonight and I think they will end up with 2 losses and finish behind the top two. 

Don't have any details but looked like Glenn Rouch was injured in warmups tonight at HH and didn't play. Another Boonville player was injured on 1st possession but I didn't catch the number  so not sure if he returned or not. 

Jasper @ Princeton tonight for the Big 8 championship. Winner will be the outright champ. 

Jasper (10-8) at Princeton (16-3)
GAME TIME: 7:00 PM Central.
COACHES: John Goebel, 143-102 in 11th year at Jasper, 229-139 in 16th year overall. Ryan Haywood, 67-95 in 7th year at Princeton, 143-190 in 13th year overall.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Princeton, 78.38, 71st overall, 19th in Class 3A. Jasper, 72.55, 120th overall, 68th in Class 4A.
LAST OUTING: Jasper defeated Washington, 56-39. Princeton defeated South Spencer, 58-52.
VS. COMMON FOES: Jasper 7-2, Princeton 8-1.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Jasper 200-144, Princeton 188-173.
SERIES LAST 30 YEARS: Jasper, 21-11.
LAST MEETING: Jasper, 55-52, Feb. 14, 2017.
PREDICTION: Princeton, 60-49.

53 minutes ago, dave mosbey said:

Jasper 55 Princeton 36 Wildcats finish Big Eight Play 6-0.  

Saw that on Harrell's.  What in the world happened there?  Stunning result.

7 hours ago, ocwm2000 said:

Saw that on Harrell's.  What in the world happened there?  Stunning result.

The same way they beat VL. They were more mentally prepared and executed their defensive game plan perfectly. Jasper was definitely an underdog to win the Big 8, but they came ready to play each time out. They earned it and deserve it. 

Never would've imagined Princeton and Vincennes finishing 2nd and 4th at the start of the season. Both were big disappointments in conference play. Both are better teams than that. Fortunately, conference championships don't win you sectional titles. There's still a lot left to play for.

Princeton was a big disappointment last night, not in other conference games. Jasper played very well defensively, and moved the ball well. They hit shots and Princeton missed a ton. The tigers need to right the ship before their matchup with Barr Reeve on Saturday and the surging HH Patriots on Tuesday. 

Here are a few quotes from The Herald article and the link to read the whole article.

https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/cats-heat-up-early-knock-off-no-8-princeton

Jasper coach John Goebel couldn’t give his team enough praise for their performance after the game.

“It was a gutsy performance,” he said. “I thought we took care of the ball. We played as a team. I thought we played great defense. We did every (little) thing we needed to win the game. We were a different team tonight.”

Goebel said the team has been playing inspired ball since the three-game skid. The team didn’t allow themselves to be discouraged by the losses and instead kept working hard in practice to get better and pursue their conference championship. Goebel said the losses to Forest Park and Heritage Hills were especially instructive and helped the team develop a blueprint for how to deal with taller, longer teams that would be difficult to score against in the paint.

“When you play with a team that has length, you have to shoot well,” Goebel said. “When you have a team that makes it hard for your post players to score, it’s good when your guards can bust that up a little bit. We certainly did tonight.”