• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
thakilla

Central vs East Central

33 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Good teams find ways to win... but thanks for the input DJ. Always great knowledge. 

No its actually a factor.

Ask Cathedral how their trip on Friday night to Evansville Reitz (when they were a favorite) went several years ago.

If you have a choice to play Friday or Saturday, play on Saturday.  It matters.

And makes sense for EC since they didn't have school today. 

Genuinely sorry to see Central lose... I️ wasn’t able to follow the game online, but it sounds as if a lot of things caught up to them tonight.  Good luck to EC going forward.

Congrats to the East Central Trojans! They run a terrific program there! Much respect for the smashmouth football East Central plays!

• Upvote 1

EC just had too many athletes.  Congrats EC!  Great season Central.

I managed to catch the online stream of the game, which unfortunately came with an extra-large dose of HOMER Radio but I digress. 

IMO Central came out flat, possibly due to the long drive, who knows.  The Bears never seemed to get loose and play with any rhythm.  While they *may* have had better athletes, EC's line totally dominated the Bear's on both sides of the ball - All. Night. Long. - which was surprising.  Further complicating things was the fact the Bears D never seemed to make any adjustments to the EC Offense.  As with many teams that see the wing-t, single wing or whatever EC calls their offense, they were left guessing and at least one defender short the whole game on the run side of the ball. 

Central came out in the 2nd half with a bit more focus and for awhile, seemed to be grabbing the momentum away from EC.  Then, unfortunately the Bear's achilles heal once again flared up when  Evans was flagged for an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty when on a 3rd & goal, he was called down at the 1/2 yd line - the proper call from the replay.  Evans nearly got a 2nd penalty on the same play when he got in the referee's face again.  Thankfully someone pulled him off the field.   A hotly contested PI call in the End Zone - also the correct call from the replay - helped the Bears salvage the drive.  The Bear's got a break when EC coaches rec'd an Unsportsmanlike flag arguing the call. 

On the ensuing EC drive, the Bears had EC pinned back inside their 30 yd line with a 3rd & 5 but, once again, could not stop the inside reverse and big RB for EC lumbered about 30 yds around left end for 1st down.  After another foolish unsportsmanlike PF after the play was dead, EC had the ball well into Evv Central territory and any momentum the Bear's had was lost. At that point it was, for all practical purposes, game over for the Bears.  

A disappointing end to an otherwise good season for the Bears.  I say *good* because certainly the Bears had their sights on LOS but, in the end, their season long trouble with PF's and their inability to control their emotions got the best of them.  Perhaps this can be a good learning experience to build on for the next year as the Bears return a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.  

I think the two Central turnovers were huge (as turnovers usually are).  Centrals first half possessions were three and out, turnover, turnover (on kick return), end of half run up the middle.  Both turnovers gave EC short fields.  Hard to say what the half-time score is without those mistakes.

It's not a great optic for the leadership of Evansville Central and the future of Evansville Athletics that SW Indiana fans on a message board were able to accurately predict Central would implode with PF's if EC was capable of pushing them around. 

Are Central/Reitz/North/Bosse/Harrison fans OK with Coach Owens moving on to the roll of AD for these schools?

37 minutes ago, railsplitters said:

maybe true, But rarely did the bears stop the trojans at all. 

I agree but the second half score was 14-13

40 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

It's not a great optic for the leadership of Evansville Central and the future of Evansville Athletics that SW Indiana fans on a message board were able to accurately predict Central would implode with PF's if EC was capable of pushing them around. 

Are Central/Reitz/North/Bosse/Harrison fans OK with Coach Owens moving on to the roll of AD for these schools?

Can't speak for all of Evansville, but I'm definitely not ok with it.

What Central fans and team had no idea of what they were in for playing EC, since this was only about their second regional they have played in. Past Reitz teams and fans knew exactly what they were in for. I have watched EC play Reitz in the regional since the late 80's. The SIAC is a good conference but there is no team in the SIAC year in and year out as physical as EC. They will battle you till the whistle blows and if you don't keep your composure they will get in your heads, just like they did last night. With Central being the worst disciplined team I have ever seen in the SIAC it reared it's ugly head last night. Bottom line the long drive had nothing to do with Central getting beat last night. They would have gotten the 5 or 6  unsportsmanlike penalties if they were just driving the 10 min  drive to the westside of Evansville. And to answer the question about Coach Owens being the new AD, this Reitz fan is scratching his head. Central has the most athletic team the SIAC has seen in a long time and maybe forever but there is a black mark on their program right now after their antics from this year. Just one persons opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Central fans are typically apologetic to the coach and say things like "You don't know what he has to deal with all day in school."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

I agree but the second half score was 14-13

EC was up 21 pts at the half and runs a ball control/burn up the clock offense.  They didn't need to score in the second half, they simply needed to control the ball & the clock.  Nothing Evv Central could do unless they stopped EC...and put some pts on the board, neither of which they did with any consistency.   Even when the Bears managed to stop EC, they couldn't put much offense together and they were really never in the game after halftime, unfortunately.  Sorry to see the Bears go down but the better team won the game last night

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

EC just had too many athletes.  Congrats EC!  Great season Central.

UM No they didn't. They had more disciplined athletes.

• Upvote 1

I went to the game and listened to Coach Roden on the radio on the drive home. He made a comment that it seemed most of Evansville was rooting against Central...lol

The bears have a handful of elite athletes. But the trojans have a whole roster of good athletes. The trojans rarely have a roster with division 1 talent. But they have a roster full of potential small ball college players. 

20 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

No its actually a factor.

Ask Cathedral how their trip on Friday night to Evansville Reitz (when they were a favorite) went several years ago.

If you have a choice to play Friday or Saturday, play on Saturday.  It matters.

And makes sense for EC since they didn't have school today. 

That '09 Reitz team could have beaten Cathedral the same no matter when or where the game was played.  To me the biggest difference on playing Saturday instead of Friday is the number of fans that would be able to make the trip and support their team.

• Upvote 1

Wondering if there are any Princeton fans on this thread.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:21 PM, Titan32 said:

Wondering if there are any Princeton fans on this thread.

Poke poke, prod prod

No doubt there is some "inside" observation here...maybe it's the egg nog (whiskey laden) that results in my missing it.  Perhaps one of my GS brothers can PM me to remind me of the "obvious" am missing.

Regardless, Happy Holidays to St Leon (EC), Gibson Southern and ALL of Evansville! 

7 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Word is that the 3 Evans brothers have transferred to Princeton.

Is this a sure thing?

What inquiring minds want to know.....will thakilla now be a loyal Princeton fan??  I for one think his illogical, irrational and inaccurate local football analysis would be the PERFECT Fit!