• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
CGFan2017

Center Grove @ Avon

Center Grove will be traveling to Avon, for the first time since 2003, for the Regional title, and a date with BD (no offense to Fishers). This is the first time the two teams have faced off since the epic 2015 2OT Semi State thriller.

Eric Moore has never lost a Regional Championship game, and he is going for his 12th total, and 7th straight. I think that this will come down to the end. I don't think that there is a clear favorite and I don't think one team has a better chance than the other. All I know is that it will be another great game.

Edited by CGFan2017

7 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

Center Grove will be traveling to Avon, for the first time since 1979, for the Regional title, and a date with BD (no offense to Fishers). This is the first time the two teams have faced off since the epic 2015 2OT Semi State thriller.

Eric Moore has never lost a Regional Championship game, and he is going for his 12th total, and 7th straight. I think that this will come down to the end. I don't think that there is a clear favorite and I don't think one team has a better chance than the other. All I know is that it will be another great game.

2015 semi state was unbelievable

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

2015 semi state was unbelievable

I still get nervous watching the final drive of regulation and the 2 pt conversion even though I know the outcomes.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

Center Grove will be traveling to Avon, for the first time since 1979, for the Regional title, and a date with BD (no offense to Fishers). This is the first time the two teams have faced off since the epic 2015 2OT Semi State thriller.

I'm pretty much disagreeing with everything said here! See my prediction in the 6A thread. By the way, CG played at Avon in 2001 and 2003. 

18 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I'm pretty much disagreeing with everything said here! See my prediction in the 6A thread. By the way, CG played at Avon in 2001 and 2003. 

I was looking at Almanac Sports, must've missed that. Thank you for the correction.

I saw your prediction, not sure what makes you think Avon can run away with this one. The only common competitors the two teams played ended with similar results (BD and Whiteland). The only way I see Avon running away is if CG doesn't show up in the 2nd half like they haven't in a few of their games this year. Avon will have to shut down Carson Steele as well. Coach Moore will have this team prepared and ready for a fight.

I was also surprised to see you think this team is as good as 2015. That was a great team. I honestly don't know anything about this team other than the RB and WR going to Wisconsin. 

Edited by CGFan2017

42 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

I was looking at Almanac Sports, must've missed that. Thank you for the correction.

I saw your prediction, not sure what makes you think Avon can run away with this one. The only common competitors the two teams played ended with similar results (BD and Whiteland). The only way I see Avon running away is if CG doesn't show up in the 2nd half like they haven't in a few of their games this year. Avon will have to shut down Carson Steele as well. Coach Moore will have this team prepared and ready for a fight.

I was also surprised to see you think this team is as good as 2015. That was a great team. I honestly don't know anything about this team other than the RB and WR going to Wisconsin. 

I don't think I said "run away with it". But I do think this will be a more than one possession game. BTW, you need not look any further than John Harrell for your research..... Screw Almanac Sports!

2001 was a favor by the CG AD to introduce Avon to 5A football, which they would soon enter. Final score was 58-2 (and the "2" was a gift.)

2003 was a sectional game, still 1-sided at 35-7 but that was to set up the magnificent  "hook and ladder" game in 2004 sectionals, won by Avon 23-21.

Seriously though, looking for a good game and a packed stadium as I know how well you guys travel!

• Upvote 1

I see Avon  by two scores.  Columbus North out played Center Grove the second half with their backup quarterback.  Center Grove is a good team but not on par with past teams. I expect the Bless brothers are comparing notes on how to defense CG.  

I also think Avon wins this one, baring injuries. I cant see it being too close. But again, no team is out until they get beat.

I have no dog here . I am of the same mind as most . Something tells me avon as well.  But  'the man ' carson steele will have his say . Avon in a close one. 

I won't say that CG will win, just because their play has been inconsistent. However, if CG does lose by more than 1 score, I will be very surprised. The only team to do that this year has been Ben Davis. No matter the outcome, I hope this is another classic between the two schools.

• Like 2

The Trojans lead the all-time series 12-4.  Center Grove and Avon faced each other in the regular season from 1961 to 1966, 1975 to 1980, and 2001.  CG leads the regular season series 10-3 and has won two of the three meetings in the postseason.  Besides 2004, the Orioles defeated the Trojans in 1966, 1979 and 1980.

One interesting note about this rivalry is that John Clements, who was Center Grove's athletic director for 25 years (1971-1996), began the football program at Avon in 1960, serving as head coach for one year before moving on to CG.  During their inaugural season, the Orioles, playing a schedule comprised of both junior varsity and varsity squads, won one and lost four.

This is also a matchup of two former Mid-State Conference schools.

23 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

I see Avon  by two scores.  Columbus North out played Center Grove the second half with their backup quarterback.  Center Grove is a good team but not on par with past teams. I expect the Bless brothers are comparing notes on how to defense CG.  

not sure where you are getting CN out played CG in the send half. CG had a long scoring drive to start the half. plus had 2 more chace to score but just missed  field goals. CN only  score drive of the half was helped by a bad PIF call.  That was the only drive they made it past midfield in the 2nd half

After looking at the stats and reviewing the game, I’ll correct my comment to Columbus North out played Center Grove the last two and a half quarters.  In that time, Center Grove scored 3 points, the first drive of the second half.  North scored 14 points.  The backup qb for North had 260 yards passing during that time.  During that time, CG made one field goal, two missed fg’s, and punted 4 times.  As for penalties, North was called for nine penalties and Center Grove had eight.  

• Downvote 1

Not sure CG can stop Avon's offense. That said, nothing surprises me any more. Eric Moore is a great tournament coach.

Avon wins 28-14, but if I see Center Grove wins, I won't be shocked.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Avon junior RB Sampson James has been offered a scholarship to Ohio State. This kid can fly!

• Like 1

Did someone mention that CG will be playing New Pal in the near future on a not so distant cg/related thread ?  

1 hour ago, Grover said:

Yes.  Starting next year.

Does your schedule include extending the series with Cathedral?

44 minutes ago, PHJIndy said:

Does your schedule include extending the series with Cathedral?

I have not heard anything to the contrary.  New Pal is supposed to replace Whiteland.

3 minutes ago, Grover said:

I have not heard anything to the contrary.  New Pal is supposed to replace Whiteland.

I sure hope the series continues.

13 minutes ago, PHJIndy said:

I sure hope the series continues.

I believe the cathedral and cg contract was extended!

9 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

That is excellent news! The Cathedral vs Center Grove games have provided some of the most entertaining games the past 4 years 2014 CG wins 44-38, 2015 CG wins 7-0, 2016 CG wins 44-41, 2017 Cath wins 21-14.  Every year it seems posters on here mention that they expect the Trojans and Irish to rest players for the tournament, but every year both teams go all out! Coach Streiff and Coach Moore are among the best coaches in the State, and I admire them both.

As for the CG at Avon game. I look for a close game. Center Grove does a great job eating clock with their offense which can limit Offensive possessions for Avon. They also have a solid defense. Avon has an offense that can get yards in big chunks, they have a very good QB and RB and a solid defense. This will be an excellent game at Avon with 2 fantastic coaching staffs lead by Coach Bless and Coach Moore. In this type of game turnovers and special teams can be a difference maker!

• Like 3

Ill take my Alma Mater (the Von) 24-17 

Good luck to both teams!  Stay healthy! 

9 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I sure hope you're correct!!