• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
from_the_sidelines007

1A Regional: LaVille at Pioneer

How does LaVille  (or anyone) get past an experienced Panther team?

Just some odds and ends:

HNAC v. HNAC for a regional title.

Pioneer def. LaVille,  41-0, September 1.

Panthers rolled up over 400 yards.

LaVille held to under 50 total yards.

LaVille will be playing an HNAC opponent for the sixth straight week.

Adam Berry 26-1 in second year (Only loss in 2016 state title game)

John Harrell prediction says: Pioneer 31, LaVille 14

What Do You Say?

as always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

16 minutes ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

How does LaVille  (or anyone) get past an experienced Panther team?

Just some odds and ends:

HNAC v. HNAC for a regional title.

Pioneer def. LaVille,  41-0, September 1.

Panthers rolled up over 400 yards.

LaVille held to under 50 total yards.

LaVille will be playing an HNAC opponent for the sixth straight week.

Adam Berry 26-1 in second year (Only loss in 2016 state title game)

John Harrell prediction says: Pioneer 31, LaVille 14

What Do You Say?

from_the_sidelines007 

I don't think a one dimensional team will be able to get past the Panthers. Panther's D line is very stingy up front and the O-line can give enough daylight for the running backs to gain suitable yardage to burn the clock after a 2-3 td lead. I don't think you can get behind on this team, score wise, and hope to come from behind to win on some big miraculous play. Pioneer didn't even attempt a pass play against LCC because there was no need( they can and will pass when needed, effectively). Ball control, long sustained drives, and big defensive stops are keys to slowing them down. A very Tall order but not impossible. Big issue for defenses trying to stop the Panthers is, if you do make the right defensive call and line up to stop Coach Berry's initial play call, Kiser will and has checked to another play at the line with great success. Like I said before, not impossible but a tall order in 1A this year. Good Luck to all the sectional winners throughout the State this week as they prepare for a shot at a Regional title.

Pioneer is a 1A New Prairie.  You know what they are going to do, but how do you stop it.  Then you have to worry about how to score on them!  Tough tough task but can never say never!  LaVille is a better team than they were in the third game of the season, I hope they can move the ball offensively, hit on some play plays, chew up some clock and win the turnover battle.  Maybe have a special teams big play.  

Edited by JGHS89

1 hour ago, Farmer Fran said:

1st half?

Don't know coach Berry personally,  but I hesitate to think that he would purposely run up a 42-0 halftime score.

Especially if the Panthers run the football.   

I also believe coach Berry has a level of respect for coach Hostrawser and the Lancers. 

42-0 might be the final score.

from_the_sidelines007 

Pioneer can't have a let down this week.  Laville has made some personnel changes since week three.  Their defense is very solid 

If Panthers come to play I like their chances comfortably if not could be interesting 

Hopefully Pioneer can continue to stay somewhat healthy through this week. But Laville has gotten better since week 3 but its difficult to come up with 41 points against a tuff defense. An all HNAC conference Regional game means that there is some strength in the scheduling. Pioneer cant begin to look forward yet with Laville being up next. I do feel like they could still handle them though. 62-21 Pioneer moving on.

35-14 Pioneer

This should be a much closer game than the week 3 contest.  Laville has change up some personal and have improved a lot. But I am a realist hence the prediction of a Pioneer victory.  Only chance would be mistake free game by Laville. They would also need some big plays on special teams. The defense would have to create some short fields and force some turnovers.

#56rocks 

Injuries and turnovers will be the Panthers demise. 

Hope for some sun between now and Friday as The PIT is in really poor shape with this rain and after the game last Friday.  Playing so many home games isn't a good thing for The PIT.  Pioneer needs a big donor to put in some Field turf if they are gonna continue to play into mid November every year.

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2017 at 3:52 AM, longsnapper78 said:

An all HNAC conference Regional game means that there is some strength in the scheduling. 

Actually it means that Pioneer is where they were expected and the 6 other HNAC schools were put into the same sectional where the odds were overwhelmingly in the HNAC's favor to win it.

Edited by Off In The Yard
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LV Dad said:

35-14 Pioneer

This should be a much closer game than the week 3 contest.  Laville has change up some personal and have improved a lot. But I am a realist hence the prediction of a Pioneer victory.  Only chance would be mistake free game by Laville. They would also need some big plays on special teams. The defense would have to create some short fields and force some turnovers.

#56rocks 

I have no doubts that LaVille has improved since week 3, but so have the Panthers. Our younger kids have really stepped up the last few weeks as the competition amped up playing Carroll and LCC. I also don't foresee the Panthers putting the ball on the ground 5 times this go around and having three turnovers in the redzone.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Off In The Yard said:

Actually it means that Pioneer is where they were expected and the other 7 HNAC schools were put into the same sectional where the odds were overwhelmingly in the HNAC's favor to win it.

6* other HNAC schools...knox was in a 3A sectional where we lost a tough game to Mish. Marian

14 minutes ago, ### said:

6* other HNAC schools...knox was in a 3A sectional where we lost a tough game to Mish. Marian

I forgot WC is no longer in the HNAC which still means 6 of the 8 competitors in sectional 41 were HNAC schools with the other 2 being West Central and South Central. Neither of those stood a chance at winning the sectional.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Farmer Fran said:

I have no doubts that LaVille has improved since week 3, but so have the Panthers. Our younger kids have really stepped up the last few weeks as the competition amped up playing Carroll and LCC. I also don't foresee the Panthers putting the ball on the ground 5 times this go around and having three turnovers in the redzone.

Laville also is a very young team.  5 seniors. The next few years could see a tightening up of the top 3 teams in the conference.  If Pioneer stays 1a they will be pushed (hopefully) by Laville and Triton for the conference title.

The Laville Oline has only 1 returning starter this year (proud papa here #56) and since week 5ish they have switched up lineman offense and defense so we don't have as many 2 way players.  This should be a very interesting matchup for the next few years

#56rocks 

• Downvote 1

LaVille has no chance to win this game.  Yes, they have improved offensively, but even Triton held them to one TD (on a short field) and a field goal.  They won't score on Pioneer.  LaVille had great field position all night long against the Trojans.  I don't think they started any drive inside their own 40.  But still were only able to score once.  The Lancers have had a great year considering what they lost from last year, but they aren't anywhere near Pioneer's level.  And I would be saying the same thing about Triton if we had won on Friday night!  This is a week for Pioneer to rest players and get healthy for a matchup with Southwood.

18 minutes ago, LV Dad said:

Laville also is a very young team.  5 seniors. The next few years could see a tightening up of the top 3 teams in the conference.  If Pioneer stays 1a they will be pushed (hopefully) by Laville and Triton for the conference title.

The Laville Oline has only 1 returning starter this year (proud papa here #56) and since week 5ish they have switched up lineman offense and defense so we don't have as many 2 way players.  This should be a very interesting matchup for the next few years

#56rocks 

Pretty sure if Pioneer is in 2A they will still be in the HNAC.  As far as being 'pushed'  over the next couple years, by Laville or Triton , maybe 2020. Even after Kiser graduates there will be a lot of quality football players left in Berry's stable. I saw some freshman and sophomore lineman go in during the latter part of the 3rd and 4th quarters against LCC and play pretty well against a battle hardened LCC team. Maybe I'm looking at the future of Pioneer football "post Kiser era" through rose colored glasses. Time will tell, hope I'm right. 

3 hours ago, takkle4 said:

Hope for some sun between now and Friday as The PIT is in really poor shape with this rain and after the game last Friday.  Playing so many home games isn't a good thing for The PIT.  Pioneer needs a big donor to put in some Field turf if they are gonna continue to play into mid November every year.

I think this would be awesome.

Am I the only one that hates when people just allow the "old saying" to continue? Pioneer has had top tier football for decades but a bottom tier playing surface for the same amount of time. Pioneer also has the luxury of not having to share it with soccer. There are plenty of people in the community who care enough about football to remedy the problem. Just fix it already! :13_v:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gaponbacker said:

Pretty sure if Pioneer is in 2A they will still be in the HNAC.  As far as being 'pushed'  over the next couple years, by Laville or Triton , maybe 2020. Even after Kiser graduates there will be a lot of quality football players left in Berry's stable. I saw some freshman and sophomore lineman go in during the latter part of the 3rd and 4th quarters against LCC and play pretty well against a battle hardened LCC team. Maybe I'm looking at the future of Pioneer football "post Kiser era" through rose colored glasses. Time will tell, hope I'm right. 

If Pioneer goes 2a I could see them changing conferences but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. They would have to change up their schedule to play more 2a competition I would think. But that's all an "if" lol.  I haven't seen anyone in 1a that can push Pioneer this year. I don't think anyone in 2a either but that's just my opinion.  

Good luck to both teams and let's hope for a good hard fought injury free game!!

Go Lancers!

#56rocks 

Hopefully Pioneer throws a little bit in practice because they'll likely be able to get thru the next couple weeks with less than 5 total attempts. The running game looked that good Friday.

The theme of this game will be "Early and Often".

Pioneer big... Again.

I guess that's not really fair to say without actually seeing Laville play. What do they bring to the table on each side of the ball?

I think the formula has always been the same for beating Pioneer (IF YOU HAVE THE GUYS TO EXECUTE):

Offensively - Spread them out and force them to defend pass first. Throw away from #4 and get rid of it quick. As far as running game, Pioneer does a great job of stringing out sweep plays and the secondary fills fast. This PIoneer defense also shut down the middle run game pretty much all night against LCC.

Defensively - I like the idea of a 3-3-5 or 3-5 and slant the down lineman. Defenses who have played 4 man front all year could probably shift enough to give a 3 man look (A lot for any team to change, I realize). Backers HAVE to read the triangle in front of them (guard -tackle) and fly to where they go. I could be wrong in this, but in the last 20 some years, it's rare that Pioneer has to get into many false pull plays. Safeties have to be decisive and fill fast. Guys off the ball should work on timing the snap. These offenses usually (USUALLY) don't run many different plays out of specific timings/motions.

That being said, Pioneer is really... really good at what they do on both sides of the ball. Schemes and philosophies are fun to talk about, but it's all about having the guys who can execute.

20 minutes ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

Am I the only one that hates when people just allow the "old saying" to continue? Pioneer has had top tier football for decades but a bottom tier playing surface for the same amount of time. Pioneer also has the luxury of not having to share it with soccer. There are plenty of people in the community who care enough about football to remedy the problem. Just fix it already! :13_v:

You are absolutely right Hoosier Hawk. If it was up to the people in Pioneer's community it would have been taken care of years ago. But it is not up to them, its up to the Administration at the school, and the Panther hopeful have been waiting and waiting and waiting... Suggestions have been made and several people have voiced their opinion to no avail. Sadly that is where we have found ourselves.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gaponbacker said:

But it is not up to them, its up to the Administration at the school

DARN those administrators!

29 minutes ago, Hoosier Hawk said:

This was similar to the thoughts when I first saw the PIT on Friday. There are farmers with the equipment to do all of the work, just need someone to be willing to ask. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LCCAlum said:

This was similar to the thoughts when I first saw the PIT on Friday. There are farmers with the equipment to do all of the work, just need someone to be willing to ask. 

Pioneer had community members step up and volunteer and were told they could not take care of the field by previous admins due to the liability involved. Hopefully this can be rectified in the near future so we don't have more kids getting hurt on this terrible surface. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

I don't know anything about the situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the old coach (also AD) liked the idea of playing on that surface.  The old home field advantage thing... old school football, etc.  But this is a new era, and the support is surely there for a change!  I'm sure the Pioneer football program has done "more than it's share" of supporting the other athletic teams at Pioneer.  Time to be a little selfish and get this thing done!

• Upvote 1