• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

14 minutes ago, mebuck said:

Do you remember last year. Undefeated Mississinewa team. Dwenger had no chance in hell  in beating that team, what was the score again I can't remember? That team didn't play any schools bigger than them, had two tough sectional games, deja vu?

56-2

For Angola to beat Northwood AND CMA, that's saying something.  Dwenger's wins were good against Wayne and NH, but I don't think as impressive as Angola's.  Whatever the outcome, Dwenger has their work cut out for them...especially with their starting running back out since mid-season (Hudson) and recent injuries to their starting QB (Morris) and kicker (Garrett).  BTW, weather may be a factor - s/b the coldest night of the year.

Edited by drb323
continued comments
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, drb323 said:

56-2

For Angola to beat Northwood AND CMA, that's saying something.  Dwenger's wins were good against Wayne and NH, but I don't think as impressive as Angola's.  Whatever the outcome, Dwenger has their work cut out for them...especially with their starting running back out since mid-season (Hudson) and recent injuries to their starting QB (Morris) and kicker (Garrett).  BTW, weather may be a factor - s/b the coldest night of the year.

Hudson only played two games... he was terrible, we moved on. O'keefe is a better QB. Morris is now playing tightend. And Garrett is fine. Weather won't be a problem. Dwenger will be ready. 

Edited by mebuck

12 hours ago, new money said:

Dwenger has a long history of ending many teams banner seasons. Anyone remember those “great” Delta teams? Seems as though more times than not the Saints come out on top when facing undefeated squads in the post season (not always, I realize). But.....Those BD teams always seemed to be led by a very  large senior class that were good players on both sides of the ball. While the underclassmen watched and waited their turn. Now I don’t want to take anything away from the Seniors because they represent everything you would want from them. However, this years Dwenger team has been relying on a great number of sophomores and juniors. And I am worried that they may not be ready for this stage yet. The inconsistency of young players can be hard to overcome as the competition gets better each week. Hopefully I’m wrong. Go Saints.

This years Dwenger SR. Class was a very impressive group of undefeated Freshman.  I remember them coming in to play the Leo Freshman team who was also undefeated as 7th, 8th and Freshman until that game.  Dwenger walked away with a shutout, something like 27-0.  They went on to go undefeated as Freshman and if I remember correctly they beat the Snider Freshman "A" team twice that same season.  This game is a hard one to predict, but as new money said, "Dwenger has a long history of ending many teams banner seasons."

As Lee Corso always said”never bet against the catholic ‘s”

11 hours ago, mebuck said:

Do you remember last year. Undefeated Mississinewa team. Dwenger had no chance in hell  in beating that team, what was the score again I can't remember? That team didn't play any schools bigger than them, had two tough sectional games, deja vu?

1 sectional game versus Logansport.

Very similar scenario.

@JohnRHarrell
Winning road OTs in sectional is quite rare. I have just 54 such wins in 24 years, and no team had done it twice in same year until Angola.
9:07 AM - 4 Nov 2017

15 hours ago, Night Hawk said:

Northwood doesn't kick extra points, kicking a field goal was not going to happen.

Maybe that should change.  Someone can kick an extra point, 20 yard field goal.

Edited by panamabob

14 minutes ago, panamabob said:

Maybe that should change.  Someone can kick an extra point, 20 yard field goal.

Maybe, but that wasn't my point.  My point was that NorthWood's coach made a philosophical decision to not kick this year so them kicking a field goal was a moot point.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Night Hawk said:

Maybe, but that wasn't my point.  My point was that NorthWood's coach made a philosophical decision to not kick this year so them kicking a field goal was a moot point.

I think his philosophy cost him a deep run into the playoffs.  Bad coaching decision is my point...opinion.  Your point is understood.  I think he made a big mistake.  I yelled it from the fence.  I yelled it a lot this year. NorthWood's a weird place, at times. 

There's no question that history is in the favor of BD...but Friday is the future...so.... :)

5 hours ago, Night Hawk said:

The last two years I believe.  I'm not sure they ever kicked an extra point in either season.

19 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

The last two years I believe.  I'm not sure they ever kicked an extra point in either season.

They attempted and failed one at Northridge this year, the rest of the game they went for 2

Dang. Pretty quiet around here. Is anyone out here confident that one team will prevail over the other? So far it’s all been kind of like “Angola could win, might be good enough”, Or “I don’t know which Dwenger team will show up”. 

I guess I will go on record saying The Saints will be ready to play and the youngsters are primed to play the best game of their short careers. How about big bad sectional 19? The Hornets beat Northwood and CMA, sure. But Northwood appeared to be only Northwood in name this year. But not the normal tough squad of tradition. And CMA? C’Mon, looks like they were alright. But I bet most of you didn’t even know CMA even had a football team until 3-4 weeks ago. What did they do? Played a crummy regular season schedule, losing to the teams that should have beat them. Beat an average Northridge team that made a lot of mistakes and an average East Noble team that also was bitten by the turnover bug. Overtime twice????

The 3 losses on Dwenger record are to teams that all would have streamrolled sectional 19 and sectional 20  

BDHS wins it’s 20th Regional Championship Friday night folks. 

Hopefully this will spur some conversation to get us through the next couple of days. 

Peace. 

Edited by new money
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

42 minutes ago, new money said:

Dang. Pretty quiet around here. Is anyone out here confident that one team will prevail over the other? So far it’s all been kind of like “Angola could win, might be good enough”, Or “I don’t know which Dwenger team will show up”. 

I guess I will go on record saying The Saints will be ready to play and the youngsters are primed to play the best game of their short careers. How about big bad sectional 19? The Hornets beat Northwood and CMA, sure. But Northwood appeared to be only Northwood in name this year. But not the normal tough squad of tradition. And CMA? C’Mon, looks like they were alright. But I bet most of you didn’t even know CMA even had a football team until 3-4 weeks ago. What did they do? Played a crummy regular season schedule, losing to the teams that should have beat them. Beat an average Northridge team that made a lot of mistakes and an average East Noble team that also was bitten by the turnover bug. Overtime twice????

The 3 losses on Dwenger record are to teams that all would have streamrolled sectional 19 and sectional 20  

Hopefully this will spur some conversation to get us through the next couple of days. 

Peace. 

Well said. My point was that Dwenger has been inconsistent most of the year so who knows which team shows up. 

I'm pretty sure the Dwenger team that played Snider tough will be the one to show up. They've been very good since the Homestead game, which I think was an anomaly. Yes they were very fortunate to beat Luers but defensively they did an outstanding job against the Knights. 

Travel and home field advantage favor Angola. But I'm guessing BD will be ready for Angola and will win. I don't think the Saints defense will let them down. (Of course, I say this having never seen Angola!)

2 hours ago, new money said:

Peace. 

Average Northridge 9-0 team? Stupid comment but I do think BD will win I'll go 28-20 BD

5 minutes ago, GridironGuy said:

Average Northridge 9-0 team? Stupid comment but I do think BD will win I'll go 28-20 BD

Perhaps not average for the NLC. But, yes, very average in 4A football as a whole. The raiders would have likely won 4 games in the SAC. What did ole Forest Gump say about stupid?

CMA only had on regular season loss....they only lost to ONE team....Brebeuf.  I as well did not think they were going to do much in the Sectional, but they beat a sound 9-0 Northridge team...if you remember, the Raiders beat BD 21-0 in 2014...so maybe Dwenger doesn't always just easily beat anyone outside of the SAC.

Edited by Fairfield02
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Also...with all due respect to the SAC, because of its locked up schedule, isn't it hard to find out just how good the teams really are each year?  Snider has not played an opponent yet outside of SAC competition...both of their Sectional opponents were SAC foes who they already beat once.  We might find out how for real the SAC is when Snider plays Carmel this weekend. (Even though Carmel is a true 6A and has a big advantage).

Luers was not challenged in their sectional...they played one SAC school and beat two other schools from other conferences(a 4-6 team and a 3-8 team).

Dwenger was not challenged during sectional either....except for the one team that they played that was not an SAC school. (New Haven...Dwenger won 13-6).

Not trying to say the SAC is bad by any means, but this weekend will prove if your beloved conference is the juggernaut that you always presume it to be, or it will prove that may be it was a little down this year.  With the locked regular season schedule, it makes it hard to tell.

All that being said...how many conferences still have 3 teams in the playoffs? (Like the SAC does)

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Fairfield02 said:

Also...with all due respect to the SAC, because of its locked up schedule, isn't it hard to find out just how good the teams really are each year?  Snider has not played an opponent yet outside of SAC competition...both of their Sectional opponents were SAC foes who they already beat once.  We might find out how for real the SAC is when Snider plays Carmel this weekend. (Even though Carmel is a true 6A and has a big advantage).

Luers was not challenged in their sectional...they played one SAC school and beat two other schools from other conferences(a 4-6 team and a 3-8 team).

Dwenger was not challenged during sectional either....except for the one team that they played that was not an SAC school. (New Haven...Dwenger won 13-6).

Not trying to say the SAC is bad by any means, but this weekend will prove if your beloved conference is the juggernaut that you always presume it to be, or it will prove that may be it was a little down this year.  With the locked regular season schedule, it makes it hard to tell.

All that being said...how many conferences still have 3 teams in the playoffs? (Like the SAC does)

Nic has 3 still, Penn, New Prairie, Marian.... Penn just clinched sectional title in all 8 fall sports....

I almost hope to see Dwenger/Lowell face off next week to see how the two fan bases respond on the GID.  I mean they're both quite confident in how inept the rest of the teams in the state are, it could get interesting on here, maybe like a northern version of the Gibson Southern/Evansville Memorial thread.

1 hour ago, Fairfield02 said:

All I can say about the SAC, year in and year out, is they win state titles. Luers multiple time state champ, Dwenger multiple time state champ, Snider multiple time time state champ, Concordia won state title last year, kind of silly to say SAC is overrated.

Havind said that, I would love to see the SAC let each team schedule one game out of conference. Does Snider no good to play South Side, Wayne, North Side, Northrop every year when they are not competitive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

All I can say about the SAC, year in and year out, is they win state titles. Luers multiple time state champ, Dwenger multiple time state champ, Snider multiple time time state champ, Concordia won state title last year, kind of silly to say SAC is overrated.

Havind said that, I would love to see the SAC let each team schedule one game out of conference. Does Snider no good to play South Side, Wayne, North Side, Northrop every year when they are not competitive.

Since bringing in Carroll and Homestead, those out of conference games won't happen with the present structure.  I will say that both of those teams tho do bring great competition into the conference - historically they've always been solid.  Unfortunately, the SAC is really split between the top 4-6 contenders and then the rest...not many "in the middle" teams.  Having a 9 week schedule won't warrant anything else.  Having said that, it would be a good change to go with something like the NIC that has a North and South Division...with each division playing the other 4 teams and then 5 games outside the conference.  But then you've got possible scheduling conflicts with other conferences, yadi yadi, yadi.  It would take some real planning.

Is there any links to video so we can see some Angola football?

Other than highlight video from maxpreps and leo 2017 game is all i can find. Running back looked good but not alot of speed. Just sees the field well and is patient in letting holes open.

Well its official! The pig says Angola by 3. Congrats to the Hornets. 

5 hours ago, mebuck said:

Is there any links to video so we can see some Angola football?

Other than highlight video from maxpreps and leo 2017 game is all i can find. Running back looked good but not alot of speed. Just sees the field well and is patient in letting holes open.

If I'm not mistaken, the pig has been pretty accurate recently....edit...thought so, he went 5-1 last week.  Also interesting he picks Carmel over Snider by 2 as well this week.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/hometownmedia1/videos/?ref=page_internal

Hometown Media on facebook has videos of the Angola games/highlights and broadcasts the games live

Edited by NRRaider2001