• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
EasyEJay

2017 Indiana Hoosiers Mens Basketball

just bought 2 tickets to the IU/MSU game in East Lansing for Jan 19th...taking the 10 year old son for Christmas, should be a fun experience in "enemy" territory!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/12/19/doyel-these-iu-whosiers-play-like-directional-program/962871001/

Until further notice, they are a directional school. They are IU-Central or IU-Bloomington, just another satellite campus that plays basketball in a crowded state system full of them. Earlier this season the Hoosiers of IU-Central were embarrassed at home, blown out in the opener by the Indiana State University, and now they have done it again.

On Monday night IU-Central played Fort Wayne – a school once called IU-Fort Wayne, but one we might need to start calling IU-Daddy – and was blown out 92-72 by the Mastodons.

IU-Central is now 6-6 in Archie Miller’s first season as coach, not nearly as talented but every bit as befuddling as some of the teams coached by Miller’s predecessor, Tom Crean. The Hoosiers played on Monday night like they couldn’t be bothered, like Fort Wayne was somehow beneath them. They allowed Fort Wayne to shoot 51.7 percent from the floor and 56.7 percent on 3-pointers.

You just have to chuckle.

Doyel has been great addition to Sports Media in Indy.  Loved him at CBS and has done a phenomenal job covering all sports for the Star 

Conference play resumes tonight as the Hoosiers look to end an almost 20 year drought in Madison vs the Badgers (7-7, 1-1) both teams have had a rocky start to the season and this game could be what gets one or the other back on track. The Hoosiers are 2-16 against Wisconsin in the last 19 seasons...... This is the chance for Archie to shake two more ghost that haunted his predecessor. 

1) IU can't beat Wisconsin. 

2) IU can't win away from SSAH. 

per usual with this team now I have NO idea what to expect from this game, hopefully the IPFW loss is in the review mirror after 2 solid controlling wins against Tenn Tech and YSU. I did love Archie's quote after the TT win " I'm basically going to have to be a raving lunatic everyday."  Hey whatever gets the job done coach there is a reason why Bob Knight was the most successful coach in Program history :13_v:

• Haha 1

When Bobby coached, without looking at his record, I think he may have won at least 90 percent of his games with the badgers.  Ironically coach Knight turned down an offer from Wisconsin because Indiana made a similar offer and he thought the recruiting grounds would be better. In 1971

1 hour ago, southend said:

When Bobby coached, without looking at his record, I think he may have won at least 90 percent of his games with the badgers.  Ironically coach Knight turned down an offer from Wisconsin because Indiana made a similar offer and he thought the recruiting grounds would be better. In 1971

I can believe that especially in 1971..... Wisconsin and that area regionally has turned out some nice basketball players over the last 5 years though (nothing like what Indiana puts out every year)  Wisconsin has stayed pretty well close to home and recruited and done pretty well helps that Marquette is the only in-state competition plus other power 5 conference schools don't really search for under the radar kids in that area. 

In my opinion, this loss at Wisconsin is a horrible loss. I have refrained from saying anything to this point in the season. I wanted to give Archie some time. But the complete lack of effort was just pathetic. This team has a few HORRIBLE losses; games that talent like this SHOULD win. There are a number of issues, but the big one just seems to be something in the locker room that keeps these kids from competing consistently.

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

In my opinion, this loss at Wisconsin is a horrible loss. I have refrained from saying anything to this point in the season. I wanted to give Archie some time. But the complete lack of effort was just pathetic. This team has a few HORRIBLE losses; games that talent like this SHOULD win. There are a number of issues, but the big one just seems to be something in the locker room that keeps these kids from competing consistently.

You could be right here, lockerroom. With these players still being Tom's boys', that he recruited, I think the whole dynamics of the team changes with a new coach. Pecking order, all of a sudden, this gets foggy. Which in turn creates communication , relationship problems, not only with each man on the team, but coaches to players and so forth. The modern athletes are a pampered bunch, the"what have you done for me lately" syndrome. So im not going to put to much emphasis into this season. If you remember when Tom Crean came in, he essentially cleaned house. 1 player left on the team from previous year. Clean slate ,his guys from the start, and they had no talent but they all played hard. I think Ryan "Archie" will have to weed out the guys ,that don't want to or can't fit in with how the team is run. Bottom line it may take a few years.

I liked the rebound win for the Hoosiers at Minnesota, I get they had the whole Lynch thing and Coffey was also out but I was down Davis and Hartman as well so its still a good win for the Hoosiers now like with Notre Dame just have to root for the Gophers going forward till they come to Bloomington. Of course have to love what we have seen from Johnson and Morgan (outside of Wisconsin game) and they emergence of Justin Smith. I expect to see a ton for Smith going forward I thought we was so strong at the beginning of the year and was sad when we fell out of favor with Archie. 

Now the key is moving forward to deal with slight success. Some would say Hoosiers are rewarded with what would look like 2 winnable games at home vs Penn State and Northwestern this week and could improve to a respectable 4-2 in Big 10 play after the first flurry of conference play. BUT with this team you just can have that mindset plus Penn State is much improved and has given IU tough games over the last couple of years. Northwestern is looking to get its season back on track that looked to have High promise and a return to the NCAA tourney and will want Bloomington to be that place. time will tell but this week could be a cross-roads for the Hoosiers...... heading towards the cellar of the Big10 or claiming its right to fight for an upper-tier spot. 

No matter what Go Hoosiers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 solid performances in a row.......have they turned a corner? Hopeful, but we will see.

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

2 solid performances in a row.......have they turned a corner? Hopeful, but we will see.

I think and hope so.... problem is any success this team enjoys is going to be destroyed all over by the losses against ISU and IPFW. Indiana has a realistic shot at going 10-8 in this conference problem is those losses and drop of the Big 10 this year makes the Hoosiers a bubble team at best and cause heartbreak once again...... However I do think that a 12-6 Big10 record gets the Hoosiers in and its not out if the question with Big home games against MSU, PUR, and OSU at home and really winnable road games outside of MSU and OSU. A ton of time and basketball left, but I think a +.500 Big 10 season and an improvement in the things Archie said he was going to fix has to be considered a successful 1st season in the Archie era IMO. 

Update: IU Sophmore De'Ron Davis out for the season as he undergoes surgery to repair a torn Achilles. An up and down half of the season for him highlighted by the performance vs Duke when he went toe to toe with Marvin Bagley III. A ton of off season work went into Davis getting is weight dropped and better basketball shape as he dropped almost 30 pounds. Hopefully he takes the same mentality into rehab best of Luck DDavis!!!!!!!! 

Hoosiers not only winners of 3 straight in the Big 10 but finally get a dominating win with a 66-46 win over Northwestern, the run for the Hoosiers have started with the defensive intensity that Archie is known for and wants out of his teams. Hopefully a trend that not only continues for the rest of the season but for future teams as well. 

However will be very hard to extend it to 4 straight as the Hoosiers will travel to East Lansing and the Breslin Center Friday to take on the Spartans who have a sour taste in their mouths after rival Michigan came in a nabbed a victory. I don't expect IU to come away with a victory Friday the last time they did they needed the number 1 team in the country to win by 4......I do however hope for a hard fought game to prove that the Hoosiers even on the road deserve to be considered a top 5 team in the Big 10 which I believe they are even if that doesn't mean much this year! 

PS enjoy the trip to East Lansing @NRRaider2001 hopefully the Hoosiers show up as well! 

• Upvote 2

My 10 year old and I will be surrounded in a sea of green, but that's just fine with me.  I really like the direction this Hoosiers team is going, especially in light of the huge loss of Davis.

• Upvote 2

IU gets dismantled in East Lansing and suffers a potential big time set back with the injury to their best player right Juwan Morgan (Left the game with an ankle injury) Hoosiers have been quiet over the condition of Morgan prior to Tonight home game with Maryland, a must have for IU. 

Thoughts: 

1) IU loss without Morgan and MSU coming off losing 2 of the last 3 and at home to UM, is not a huge deal like I said prior IU needed the number #1 team in the country to win by 4 5 years ago. The last 3 trips to EL have resulted in IU losses by an average of 19 points. Is it ever a good thing to get drilled? No but Archie's first year and the ups and downs I think it was unrealistic to expect a win against MSU on the road this year..... was hoping for an injury free and tough ball game but hey still some hoops left to be played (and yes my optimist club met this past Sunday)! 

2) I don't believe Morgan's injury was too serve.... We was seen leaving on crutches to help keep weight off the ankle but no boot or brace meaning they didn't feel the need to immobilize it good sign...... also this morning chronic Hoosier tweeted the Maryland was a 1.5 fav to win tonight, then Alex Bozich of insidethehall.com (who can be a bit condensing and rude to his readers and followers) but knows his stuff said upgrade this to a true pick'em with IU being a slight favorite. Hasn't tweeted anything definable but I would venture to guess the Vegas odds came out with the Idea that Morgans was NOT going to play and maybe Alex has seen or has word on Morgan but would not like to announce anything definite per the University has said Morgan will be a game time decision. 

Again I could be the blind fan and seeing only what I want to see here but who knows we shall see how it all plays out either way IU will continue to need big games from Johnson and Newkirk going forward with or without Morgan and need improvement in play from Hartman and more consistency from Soph Green and Freshman Smith. IU could get back on track with wins vs Maryland and Road win vs Illinois before the arch-rival boilers come to Bloomington  

Grinding out another one Archie Miller style......  Morgan was huge AGAIN for IU but HAVE to go on the road tomorrow and take care of business vs Illinois a team that battled with MSU the whole way last night and came up just a bit short hungry and desperate for a Big10  win this season this is by no means a gimme and Hoosiers gotta be ready to play! 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

Greg Doyle writes some good stuff no doubt, I'm a fan of the shots taken at Students I grew up a life-long IU fan and watch every game on TV and always have  I remember watching IU vs Gonzaga at LOS and watching most of the games from a 6-25 season. I've only been to 4 IU basketball games total and 3 at SSAH (the other one being IU first round game against James Madison in Dayton). entitlement plays a big key but I bet you we will have a sell out the next two home games 

Im not a big fan of the shot taken at Archie Miller saying he is making Morgan carry this team..... IU is getting better play from Robert Johnson and Josh Newkirk since they have been challenged by  name by Miller to be seniors and lead. Johnson had massive games for IU vs Minn and ND both Big wins for IU. Also Morgan has been able to work a bit easier on both ends with the emergence of Justin Smith as well the Freshman continues to show improvement quietly adding to the success of Iu in the Big 10 season. Finally IU is lost without the hustle opportunities that Zach McRoberts provides time and time again. 

So I don't think its fair to pin Morgan has over worked by order of Archie Miller in fact I see it as Morgan is thriving in Miller's new system that creates more opportunities for Morgans style of play than Crean's run and gun style that had Morgan as a role player at best. Like Crean Archie bares a vast majority of the criticism as he should but do yourself a favor and read more of Zach Ostermans coverage of IU hes seen them play all year and knows this TEAM is improving the more they continue to play Millers way and it has started to produce results and if that trend continues IU might be a little more exciting in February and March than most thought they would be. Did love the part about staying after with the fans thats awesome but doesn't come as a surprise the way Morgan handles interviews and carries himself seems like class all the way through! 

The Fragile ship that was IU's basketball season has suffered a devastating final blow in a bad bad bad loss to previously win-less Big 10 team in Illinois. Apologies to IndyStar's Greg Doyle clearly hes right on track with what IU is asking Morgan to do is ridiculous someone else needs to step up and be a leader. 

Similar to the Wisconsin game Robert Johnson was relatively absent from anything that resembled being a senior on the court and I'm still trying to figure out why Colin Hartman came back........ could already be a GA somewhere beginning his coaching career. With the next 3 games IU could totally fold in which wouldn't surprise me. Time to go all in on the Romeo Lottery which in all honesty will just end up driving most IU fans to the edge of the cliff 

RIP Indiana's Basketball season...... 

7 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

The Fragile ship that was IU's basketball season has suffered a devastating final blow in a bad bad bad loss to previously win-less Big 10 team in Illinois. Apologies to IndyStar's Greg Doyle clearly hes right on track with what IU is asking Morgan to do is ridiculous someone else needs to step up and be a leader. 

Similar to the Wisconsin game Robert Johnson was relatively absent from anything that resembled being a senior on the court and I'm still trying to figure out why Colin Hartman came back........ could already be a GA somewhere beginning his coaching career. With the next 3 games IU could totally fold in which wouldn't surprise me. Time to go all in on the Romeo Lottery which in all honesty will just end up driving most IU fans to the edge of the cliff 

RIP Indiana's Basketball season...... 

Agree on all points. 

On 2/3/2018 at 8:21 AM, East Allen Football said:

There seems to be several players with a lack of heart on this team. The game at Ohio reminded me of the Wisconsin game a month ago.

I agree however they have stretch of 4 winnable games and could get a 1 of the last 2 that would bring them to 17 wins, add in maybe 1 in the big 10 tourney and were talking Archie will have won more or as many games as TC did in 5 of his 9 seasons as HC. This stat alone could prove the inconsistency of why TC was let go. Again that's all a maybe.....

Shooting has been a big issue for this team but I think looking into next year just not going to be a problem I think Newkirk is just not good at basketball, RoJo is suffering from the Will Sheehey senior syndrome (hes just more of a role better not THE guy) And Green is a year early in terms of the emergence a big time scoring threat. Phinsee and Anderson plus a year older Green will give IU the perimeter scoring  threat to go along with the inside games of D-Davis and Morgan next year.

I'm just not sure about Romeo anymore I'm starting to believe he is waiting because he doesn't want to disappoint all the NA fans that want him to go to IU and they chant so at every game. Plus he's still got 2 regular season games and some playoff games in Bloomington area. I'm buying in that fan pressure is gonna cause this kid to go to Vandy.