• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/22/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller  Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning  Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Fairfield:  Bob Miller  East Central:  Justin Roden  Munster:  Leroy Marsh 

I was wondering how area teams looked going into the season.  I have a little knowledge of some of the teams, while others... Not so much.

Who are your favorites to win the conference?

Rankings?

Top Returning Players?

Super Sophs or Fab Freshman that may bust onto the scene?

Feel free to add anything else that may help better define a team and its outlook.

I think you have to put Linton at the top of the list in the SWIAC, followed by Bloomfield  and Eastern then its anyone's guess as rest of the conference is very weak.

THE incoming Freshman to watch would be Linton's Lincoln Hale,  the SWIAC hasn't seen a talent like this since Rehmel, the youngest Graves or Brody Boyd.  Long, Athletic, and very good basketball skills this kid will make an immediate impact for the Miners.  Also will be interesting to see if Pyne gets some varsity minutes as he is very talented also and could be the missing link for Linton's defense.  Kip Fougerouse will continue to be a big impact player as a sophomore.  Another sophomore that will be exciting to watch is Devin Robinson, who was sidelined for the majority of the season last year. As they say,  the future looks bright for the Miners. 

WRV has a good Freshman in Ellett, but he will be overshadowed by a less than talented team with little guard play to actually get him the ball in a position to score.  Very talented kid stuck on a bad team, without any other scoring options he is going to earn everything he gets.

Not sure about the rest of the conference

I would agree Linton should be in the running for the top spot.  Different team than years past... they will have nights where they will shoot the other team right out of the gym.  I'm not sure they will have the same level of tenacity that previous teams have had on defense.  Group mixture of size, speed, and shooters.  

Lincoln Hale should be the cream of the crop for incoming freshman.  He is probably right around 6'2" or 6'3" and can score in bunches.  I'll be interested to see how Joey incorporates him in.  Kip had varsity talent when he walked in the door last year, but he had to earn his spot.  I imagine Lincoln will be in the same boat.

As for Kip, I see him as a point forward.  He is a great passer. Evan Slover will draw the defensive assignment for the PG, but I would expect Kip to run the half court sets... could be wrong.  

Noah Clark, Jarrett Rose, Sammy Robbins, and Silas Robbins give Coach Hart a lot of big bodies to play with.  Slover returns at PG.  

Devyn Robertson should be fighting for varsity minutes after struggling through injuries last year.  He is talented, but so are a lot of other guys... I could see him splitting time.  Same probably goes for Freshman, Josh Pyne.  He is a good enough athlete... he may eventually take on the role that Pierce Jackson, Bryant Jackson, and others have taken as the defensive stopper.  His offense may keep him from significant minutes.

Kip, Lincoln, Tucker Hayes, and Noah Woodward will force teams to play the Miners well beyond the 3 point line.  Each can flat out shoot... something that had been lacking in previous teams.  I doubt Coach Hart will be OK with playing sloppy defense, but it is nice to have these type of offensive weapons roaming around.  

White River Valley should be better this year than last year.  Andrew Ellett will step in as a freshman and give them a level of toughness and an inside force they didn't have last year.  Clayton Hoover returns after a good freshman year. Hoover and Ellett are both 6'3", so that gives them a little height. I hope Tanner Denham is used better than last year... at times it seemed like he was the whipping boy for his coach.  I could see a few other sophomores fighting for some varsity minutes.  A few of last year's guards need to get better or bigger.  I think Denham will likely handle the ball a lot.  If Joe Records got a little bigger and stronger... he could move from JV into the Varsity backcourt.  He has skill, but he was just too small.  Most of the varsity guards were both small and lacking in skill/ability.  WRV better hope they improved.  I think this team is a year away from fighting for a sectional title, but if they have improved... the coaching improves... and they can jell as a team... they could challenge this year.

I've heard Shakamak will be small, quick, and young.... I guess I don't really remember who they have returning.

I also heard Bloomfield had a transfer or foreign exchange student that might be a game changer.  Not sure if this is true.  

8 hours ago, Greene County Coach said:

I also heard Bloomfield had a transfer or foreign exchange student that might be a game changer.  Not sure if this is true.  

It is true. He’s a 6-7 foreign exchange student from the Czech Republic. I don’t know if he can play any good or not but he certainly looks capable. Long and athletic.

Shakamak has a very gutsy player in SR Gilbert and a proven shooter in SR Landry.  As for the rest of the lineup it is anyone's guess...

Bloomfield could be the team to beat if the 6'7" transfer is any count.  They already have a skilled 6'7" kid in SR Combs, but from the sounds of it, they both like to roam the perimeter, which negates some of the size.  I don't really see anyone in the WRV sectional competing with them.  To be honest, that sectional is so down from where it use to be that it is embarrassing.

Eastern has the biggest mismatch in the conference with SR Hamilton.  Shakamak and Linton might have the only personnel in the conference to defend him in a man defense.  Expect Hamilton to put up huge #s against everyone else.  SR Helton would be another kid from Eastern I expect big things from.

North Daviess lost arguably more to graduation than anyone else in the conference.  Knepp is a SO who might be there best player this year, but it will be interesting to see if Dalrymple can have these guys competing by mid-January. They will rely on youth to score a lot of their points.  They usually seem to gel just in time to give Eastern a good game the week before sectionals.  I always look forward to that game.

I don't know what to expect out of Linton this year.  GCC alluded to this, but they graduated so much athleticism I would expect their style of play to drastically change.  They return juniors Robbins on the inside and Slover at the point, both all conference guys.  I also expect Fougerousse to have a big year as a SO.

I think Linton could be the best set of basketball players top to bottom since Joey took over... Thing is Coach Hart has made physical defense with guys that were often better athletes than basketball players the calling card for Miner basketball.  Kip, Hayes, and Hale are unbelievably skilled offensive players.  Throw in a couple skilled big bodies... Interesting team.  Just not any physical football athletes that will set the tone on defense. That is where Pyne may find his niche.

Linton is the cream of the crop.  Incredible talent and depth, couple that with Coach Hart’s domination in the conference and I see nobody even close this year or for the next few.   Only challenge will be keeping all the talent happy.  

Shakamak has some good kids in Gilbert and Landry, if they step up the scoring, I bet come sectional time they are ready to defend the title against Bloomfield.  They have a great coach as well. 

WRV is an embarrassment and joke at basketball.  Lost 95% of their scoring with Cornelius, Hoover, and Hockman not playing.  Lots of drama and bs went on as it has for the last several, but it is what it is.  Coaching change eminent. Doubtful to win a game.  Sad situation for the last several years   

Bloomfield with the addition is probably the 2-3 place conference team.  I see this team beating some teams they shouldn’t and losing some games they shouldn’t.  Consistency is their key.  

Eastern to me is the other 2-3 place conference team.  The strength in Hamilton will be hard to defend.  Helton is a great compliment for a good punch...I am not sure of the other pieces here.   

North Daviess will be down, but how many years as everyone said that?  Dal is a great coach and this is the type of team he shocks with.  

Clay City is still young and will continue to improve.  Coach always has them ready come sectional time.   I would call them a tie with Shakamak I the conference  

North Central probably competes with WRV for bottom of the barrel.  Their game determines last place in the swiac   

A shame to think a double digit scorer in Hoover isn't playing... And only a sophomore.  That is a huge problem! He is an good track athlete (discus), but athletes need to play multiple sports.  Is there no coaches in place that inspire an athlete to compete and want play.... His friends on the team???  Sad, considering the sophomore class with help from the Ellett kid... That is a potential sectional champion in a year or two.

That is maybe where Linton's coaching staffs in football, basketball, and baseball have an advantage.   Most of their best athletes play at least two sports.  Great coaches are also great recruiters.  That is easier when other coaches encourage their athletes to play other sports, which often leads to more success.

Clark is a really good athlete, but the post is crowded.  He is probably the best natural athlete of the post players, but each of the other guys bring something unique.  Sammy is taller and smoother around the basket.  He isn't a bad athlete either.  Silas is unbelievably physical in the post... He should be the enforcer.  Rose is no slouch either.  Taller than Clark with better range on his shot.  Noah probably starts and scores double figures for about anybody around... Except the Miners.  I was hoping to see him improve his ball handling and outside game.  I didn't see that at the intrasquad scrimmage.  Maybe he has... Just haven't seen it yet.  Then again the wings are just as crowded. 

Any new information on the financial situations at some of the area schools?  I've heard rumors that one or two schools are where WRV was before their referendum.  Then again WRV only has a few years left on that as well.  I wonder what the SWIAC will look like in a few years.

GC Coach you are correct on county schools being in trouble financially.  Very bleak picture.  

https://gateway.ifionline.org/report_builder/Default3a.aspx?rpttype=budget&rpt=Form4B_R2016&rptName=Budget+Estimate+-+Financial+Statement+-+Tax+Rate

One can look through budgets and doesn’t take long to see problems.  Rainy Day fund balances are their “savings accounts”.  Many patrons look through school budgets and school finance, they get lost then trust that their boards and superintendents know what they are doing.   Well I can tell you very very few board members understand it. Most boards in this county are lucky if one of the board members half way understand it.  Superintendent wise....well let’s hope all 5 now understand.   These 5 should be talking, and should know where we are as a county    Honestly right now all they are doing is waiting for their neighbor to say “mercy” all while we should be looking for long term solutions before the state makes all the decisions for us   

If I lived in a district with no rainy day and spending crazy money on capital projects, I would be livid.   Unless school funding changes, our county is in trouble with regards to schools.  

Nobody likes it, but consolidation is imminent.  My belief is talks should be taking place now with public meetings.  This county will be one high school with the next 10 years unless they change funding.   Where is that one HS?   Drivers seat is Linton and WRV.  

Now referndums buy time but only puts lipstick on a pig.  

Sorry to hijack your thread, but you asked, I gave my 2cents. 

9 hours ago, Shooter1 said:

GC Coach you are correct on county schools being in trouble financially.  Very bleak picture.  

https://gateway.ifionline.org/report_builder/Default3a.aspx?rpttype=budget&rpt=Form4B_R2016&rptName=Budget+Estimate+-+Financial+Statement+-+Tax+Rate

One can look through budgets and doesn’t take long to see problems.  Rainy Day fund balances are their “savings accounts”.  Many patrons look through school budgets and school finance, they get lost then trust that their boards and superintendents know what they are doing.   Well I can tell you very very few board members understand it. Most boards in this county are lucky if one of the board members half way understand it.  Superintendent wise....well let’s hope all 5 now understand.   These 5 should be talking, and should know where we are as a county    Honestly right now all they are doing is waiting for their neighbor to say “mercy” all while we should be looking for long term solutions before the state makes all the decisions for us   

If I lived in a district with no rainy day and spending crazy money on capital projects, I would be livid.   Unless school funding changes, our county is in trouble with regards to schools.  

Nobody likes it, but consolidation is imminent.  My belief is talks should be taking place now with public meetings.  This county will be one high school with the next 10 years unless they change funding.   Where is that one HS?   Drivers seat is Linton and WRV.  

Now referndums buy time but only puts lipstick on a pig.  

Sorry to hijack your thread, but you asked, I gave my 2cents. 

Shooter, I don’t understand these numbers - what does it all mean?

I don’t want to hijack the thread either, but I’ll throw in my opinion on consolidation.  WRV people have been manipulated, lied to, there’s no way they’re going to vote for another referendum.  Other schools may have the option for a referendum also, but I think it’s just prolonging the inevitable. WRV and Bfield should consolidate asap, with others following suit down the road. We would end up with two high schools. Also, I think it’s ridiculous to be paying all these superintendents. Start whittling those down and you will see significant savings. Ideally, there would be one super for the whole county, but I could see two-one for each school. At any rate, what they are doing now isn’t working, and they need to get the bleeding stopped. Sadly, I’m not sure if they have the right people in there to do that. 

TS it takes a lot of study to understand school finance.  Gateway and the DOE site provides a lot,but many times these are all made up numbers.  It can be as simple as looking and seeing most schools are in deficit spending, thus having to borrow from the Rainy Day fund or look at a referendum.  With no rainy day and no referendum, it creates a scenario of borrowing and some propose to do capital spending as a way to get more funds in that pile, then transfer from transportation or capital projects to the general fund.   All like i said before. Lipstick on a pig, you still have a pig.  

Gridiron, you are correct on WRV....will never pass again.  What they do from now to end of the current referendum will seal their fate.  

Another prediction is the next legislative session you will see a push for 2000 student districts....that is one in this county.  

I've never understood how WRV voters wouldn't vote for another referendum.  These farmers who are throwing a fit will not get as friendly of a tax rate if they are absorbed by another school district.  I doubt a new western or eastern Greene school corporation would be any better.  I understand it is a financial burden to those with a lot of land... Just could be worse.

No worries, it is real easy to start another thread ;)

From what I've heard, all area schools looked good in their scrimmages.  Shakamak beat Loogootee in 2 quarters, the Linton twitter account said they played well and I was told WRV also played well (vs. WC, so take it with a grain of salt).  Did Eastern scrimmage even though their fb team has another game to play?

I also heard Bloomfield played in a closed scrimmage, which is really odd.  Are there many schools that do this?

That is odd jones. As far as I know, Bloomfield’s scrimmages have always been public. I know scouting is not allowed per IHSAA, and films cannot be traded. So I can only deduce that their coach didn’t want Bloomfield fans there. Here at Linton, I think it’s the more people the better. Gets them ready for the real games. 

Linton looked for good offensively.  Defense will have a lot more work than the offense.  Overall, they looked really good.

Offense was impressive.  Especially against zone defenses.  It will take some serious length to be able to get out on the shooters Linton has.  I think they hit 10 or 11 threes in one of the zone quarters.  5 or 6 in a row at one point.  They can really shoot... that was with Hayes a little off... he may be the best natural shooter of the bunch.  Lincoln Hale was impressive as a freshman.  Too early to heap too much praise, but he has a chance to be a special player. 

Bigs... Noah Clark had flashes of great athleticism followed by lapses.  He could be the best and worst big man depending on if he is on or off.  The Robbins twins looked solid... Sammy was more polished, but Silas brings a level of toughness that Coach Hart must love. Rose is probably the odd man out, but he is no hack.  He might have nights where he carries the load down low.  4 good options there.

Guards/Wings...  Hayes, Kip, Woodard, and Hale can flat out shoot.  Hale may be the best all around scorer.  He was getting his shots off effortlessly.  Kip was sort of the point forward... he shot well, but he had his shot blocked a few times in the lane.  Slover may have improved the most as a shooter.  He will also set the tone on defense. Josh Pyne didn't play a lot of varsity time, but he may work his way in as another defensive ace.  He is a varsity defender and athlete... not quite there as an offensive player, but he has potential.  Reminds me of a Pierce Jackson type kid.  

JV was solid... Pyne and Devyn Robertson will probably lead the way.  A lot of sophomores on the JV.  They have a couple other solid perimeter players... not a lot of size outside of Caleb Frady.  He doesn't seem too interested in banging down low as of right now.

1 hour ago, Jshuttlesworth said:

Does anyone know games times for Linton this Saturday?

Probably around noon. I know Loogootee plays the first game at 10:30. Night games start at 6 depending on who wins/loses. 

Friday...

Bloomfield vs. Shakamak- My head tells me Bloomfield by a lot, but these teams have had some battles over the years.  If Shakamak keeps the game in the 30's... could be close.

Linton vs. Clay City- I don't know much about CC... their feeder program is awful, so I doubt they have any homegrown talent.  They really need a secret agent roaming the halls of TH South or Northview finding guys that are good, but not quite good enough to play at a bigger school.  I think Linton wins by a lot.  The added bonus is watching Hart and Edmondson coach against each other... hilarious how these two guys work the officials and talk to each other.  May be more entertaining than the game.

I like Eastern and North Daviess to get wins, while WRV will have a tough time with South Knox.  North Central will have a chance to get a win, but those will be few and far between this season.

Saturday...

Linton vs. Vincennes- Should be a good game.  Both teams will be well coached.  Linton had the Alices beat last year.. then offensive woes allowed VL to fight back for the win.  I don't foresee offensive woes being a big issue for the Miners this year.  I'll take the Miners in a hard fought win.

North Central vs. WRV- This may be ugly... I'll take the Wolverines.

I'm not sure about Clay City in their game against South Vermillion.  I like Eastern over Mitchell, while Shakamak and North Daviess will likely lose.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, Greene County Coach said:

Friday...

Bloomfield vs. Shakamak- My head tells me Bloomfield by a lot, but these teams have had some battles over the years.  If Shakamak keeps the game in the 30's... could be close.

Linton vs. Clay City- I don't know much about CC... their feeder program is awful, so I doubt they have any homegrown talent.  They really need a secret agent roaming the halls of TH South or Northview finding guys that are good, but not quite good enough to play at a bigger school.  I think Linton wins by a lot.  The added bonus is watching Hart and Edmondson coach against each other... hilarious how these two guys work the officials and talk to each other.  May be more entertaining than the game.

I like Eastern and North Daviess to get wins, while WRV will have a tough time with South Knox.  North Central will have a chance to get a win, but those will be few and far between this season.

Saturday...

Linton vs. Vincennes- Should be a good game.  Both teams will be well coached.  Linton had the Alices beat last year.. then offensive woes allowed VL to fight back for the win.  I don't foresee offensive woes being a big issue for the Miners this year.  I'll take the Miners in a hard fought win.

North Central vs. WRV- This may be ugly... I'll take the Wolverines.

I'm not sure about Clay City in their game against South Vermillion.  I like Eastern over Mitchell, while Shakamak and North Daviess will likely lose.

It was Bloomfield by a lot, 53-37. No surprise there.

Linton 71-34. Ironically, same score as last year when the two teams played at Linton. Hart and Edmondson were like a "mutual admiration society" when I talked to each of them separately after the game. Effusive in their praise for each other's team. Wish I could watch the Hart and Edmondson show on the sidelines. Unfortunately I'm too busy keeping track of stats and shooting photos.

Vincennes tomorrow will be Linton's first "true test." It'll be interesting to see how that goes. 

Eastern outscored Brown County 17-10 in the fourth for a 55-52 come-from-behind win. I thought this game might be close, what with this being Eastern's first game and the majority of their key players fresh off the football state finals. I said last week Brown County had some players and they'd beat some teams this year. BC just needs 2-3 more good players to be a really solid all-around team.

8 hours ago, ts32 said:

It was Bloomfield by a lot, 53-37. No surprise there.

Linton 71-34. Ironically, same score as last year when the two teams played at Linton. Hart and Edmondson were like a "mutual admiration society" when I talked to each of them separately after the game. Effusive in their praise for each other's team. Wish I could watch the Hart and Edmondson show on the sidelines. Unfortunately I'm too busy keeping track of stats and shooting photos.

Vincennes tomorrow will be Linton's first "true test." It'll be interesting to see how that goes. 

Eastern outscored Brown County 17-10 in the fourth for a 55-52 come-from-behind win. I thought this game might be close, what with this being Eastern's first game and the majority of their key players fresh off the football state finals. I said last week Brown County had some players and they'd beat some teams this year. BC just needs 2-3 more good players to be a really solid all-around team.

Translation: They have 2 players that aren't bad. :)

• Like 1

This week...

Bloomfield at Clay City:  Bloomfield by a lot... 

Linton at Barr Reeve:  Hmmm... This will be a nice test for the Miners.  I have heard BR will be relatively young this year.  The BR person I was talking to seemed to think they wouldn't be able to replace everything they lost.  Weak Senior class, so lots of Juniors and Sophomore starters.  Then again it is BR... they always seem to reload.  Maybe they will be like the Linton football team... young and maybe a year away.  Should be a good game regardless.

Mitchell vs. WRV:  Eastern couldn't beat them... I doubt WRV has any chance... I'm hoping they can score 30 points for the game.

North Central vs. North Daviess:  SOmebody told me the only boys team in recent memory... that is worse than NC... was last years team.  ND wins.

North Knox vs. Shakamak:  Shakamak won't be very good, but NK must be worse... WRV beat them

Washington vs. Eastern:  The football legs aren't completely gone... I'll take Washington

Then... 

Edgewood vs. Bloomfield:  I've heard big things about a player or two from Edgewood.  I'll take Edgewood

Eminence vs. Clay City:  I wasn't sure Eminence would beat NC as badly as they did, but surely CC is a little bit better.  They will be better coached.  CC in a close one.

NK vs. Eastern:  Eastern by a lot

Rivet vs. ND:  I don't know anything about Rivet... I've heard ND is a little down.  

Washington Catholic vs. Shakamak:  I don't know much about WC, but I think the Lakers may go 2-0 this weekend... nice... considering Linton will likely destroy them on the 15th.

My picks:

Friday:  Blmfd/CC--Blmfd

Linton/BR--Linton

Mitchell/WRV--Mitchell

NC/ND--ND

NK/Shakamak--Shakamak

Washington/Eastern--Eastern

Saturday:  Edgewood/Blmfd--tough one, but I'll go Edgewood

Eminence/CC--CC

NK/Eastern--Eastern

Rivet/ND--ND

WC/Shakamak--Shakamak