• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
Bittersweet

"Big" HS football players....

I'm always amazed at the size of offensive line players around the state. I remember back in 1995 when Penn's front offensive five averaged 240+ and thought that was pretty big. Penn's front five today average 288. I'm glad I'm not feeding them.....their biggest OT is 6'6" - 310. How big are your big guys ?

Monrovia, the biggest linemen we had this year, 6'4 290 and 6'3 280,  every other linemen around the 220-245 range

New Prairie has a couple of 6-something 300 pound tackles. Kids are definitely bigger nowadays. If you remember the fridge was considered a freak when he played now it's just average.

My 12 year old 7th grader is currently 6'2"/250

2 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

Good genes my man. 

they footin the grocery bill yet?  😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Good genes my man. 

they footin the grocery bill yet?  😄

I wish. His 13 year old sister eats more than he does when she's having growth spurts. She's 6'"1+. Avg. $350-400/week on groceries.

• Haha 1

My son was the biggest on the Brownstown line this year at about 6'1" and 270...we rarely ever have guys bigger than that, just a few that I can remember.

12 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

Can you move west and bring him to Webo?  LOL

20 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Can you move west and bring him to Webo?  LOL

Tipton is a lot closer, hahaha

2 minutes ago, Gonzoron said:

LOL.... Fair enough!

Wow! how people have changed.  I played football in the early 60's on an above average team and looking at an old program we had one player over 200 pounds.  What will the next 50 years bring?

Watched West Lafayette play earlier this season, not sure the measurables but their offensive line and running back all look the part, gigantic

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, yellowjacket said:

Wow! how people have changed.  I played football in the early 60's on an above average team and looking at an old program we had one player over 200 pounds.  What will the next 50 years bring?

I stopped in yesterday to my favorite sandwich establishment, Firehouse, for my weekly regular. the ham and cheese combo.

I always order with a small drink (20 oz) , assuming I am getting a slightly lower price.  So I asked the owner if there was any price difference between the "regular" drink which is  a whopping 44ozs, vs the small drink.  Of course, he said no.

We have a monumental obesity problem amongst children today, and this example is the prime culprit contributing to this health dilemma.  No doubt, kids are loading up on the 44oz fully loaded soft drinks at the soda fountain, AND going back for multiple refills, including one to go. Many kids are easily consuming 100 ozs of fully loaded sugar filled soft drinks on these trips to local eateries.  And dont even get me started on the buffets.  Good lord!

I look at a lot of rosters on Max Prep, and teams are loaded with 5,8, 275 lb kids.  5-10,  300.  6-0, 330.  This is not big.  This is fat.  These kids are doomed to a life of obesity and health problems.

Yes, I will now go a little old school .  For many of us on this forum, a "small" or "regular" drink anywhere was 12 ozs when we were in our teens.  And no refills.  

So yes, we have a lot of big kids on high school football rosters today.  And we also have a lot of fat, sloppy boys who have been victimized by parents who never taught them proper eating habits and the concept of moderation.  

I also like to stop in at Wendys and order off the "Value" menu.  I can get a Cheesburger Deluxe, Small Fries and a 12oz diet coke for about $3.25.  best deal in town.  Wendys finally got smart and figured us boomers were buying too much of this cheap food, reducing their ATP (average transaction price)  So they eliminated the .99 drink from the value menu.  But ole DT outsmarted them.  I ordered a kids drink, which is also 12oz, for the same price.  :07_v:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I look at a lot of rosters on Max Prep, and teams are loaded with 5,8, 275 lb kids.  5-10,  300.  6-0, 330.  This is not big.  This is fat.  These kids are doomed to a life of obesity and health problems.

I wonder if they have strong hands from holding all those burgers and 44oz drinks?  Add to that the dexterity gained from all of the time using video game controllers.  

1 hour ago, wolves on the prowl said:

Watched West Lafayette play earlier this season, not sure the measurables but their offensive line and running back all look the part, gigantic

West Lafayette's starting O-Line

# Name Pos. Class Ht. Wt.

70 Sebastian Trent OL, DL Sr. 6-7 282

50 August Schott OL, DL Sr. 6-2 226

60 Seif Benjemia OL, DL Jr. 6-3 300

71 Adam Sturgeon OL, LB So. 6-3 202

73 Tommy Kirschbaum OL, DL Sr. 6-7 303

DOJAvzgX0AAgh06.thumb.jpg.185ebea5c31e7b42b7abb87edd759efd.jpg

Holding up Coach Fry!

... and this is a 3A school

Edited by nmsu aggie

2 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

Reverse Faulkner its called!!!  

22 minutes ago, nmsu aggie said:

West Lafayette's starting O-Line

# Name Pos. Class Ht. Wt.

70 Sebastian Trent OL, DL Sr. 6-7 282

50 August Schott OL, DL Sr. 6-2 226

60 Seif Benjemia OL, DL Jr. 6-3 300

71 Adam Sturgeon OL, LB So. 6-3 202

73 Tommy Kirschbaum OL, DL Sr. 6-7 303

DOJAvzgX0AAgh06.thumb.jpg.185ebea5c31e7b42b7abb87edd759efd.jpg

Holding up Coach Fry!

... and this is a 3A school

Those are LEAN dudes too.   Not dumpy dudes,  BIG AND LEAN and they move so well in the Zone scheme, once they lock up on you, good night sally 

• Upvote 1

6'2" guy looks like a munchkin in that line-up lol

9 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Those are LEAN dudes too.   Not dumpy dudes,  BIG AND LEAN and they move so well in the Zone scheme, once they lock up on you, good night sally 

What impresses me the most is not only the size of Offensive Lineman and Defensive Lineman of High School teams today, but the footwork and speed of these big lineman today. They aren't just big, they are big and fast.

Not the best video to show the size of the LuHi Saints back in 2014, especially considering not all of their OL/DL is featured, but they were HUGE!  That picture of the WL team with big/lean/bearded kids reminded me of these guys.  

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Haha they owe us for all 4 Faulkner boys! Agree on WL, the most impressive looking HS OL I've seen. And them boys can move too!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

He would look really good in the Green and Gold of Westfield... Just a short trip South:) ... lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patch33 said:

He would look really good in the Green and Gold of Westfield... Just a short trip South:) ... lol

Almost brought him down to the youth league 2 years ago to let my cousin work some magic on him, but then he actually started LIKING football. And that's the first thing Cuz told me when he saw my daughter in her green Sky Digg Elite basketball uniform. "She looks good in green", lol. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Kane said:

Not the best video to show the size of the LuHi Saints back in 2014, especially considering not all of their OL/DL is featured, but they were HUGE!  That picture of the WL team with big/lean/bearded kids reminded me of these guys.  

It ain't no different this time

Edited by Stoner

In the St. Ed’s @ Cathedral game this year, at one point there were 5 players on the field 300+ lbs.

I've seen kids at 6 foot+ and 300+ that are really more a tub of lard then an athlete of any type. I know there is more to height and weight to this. Just because a kid is 6-2 and 320 doesn't mean anything. I want to see how kid moves and if he has any ability.