• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

@Rebeldad and if Cathedral does put a beating on CE, it won’t affect me in the least. I’ll come on here and tell the Irish congrats on a victory and good luck at state. :) 

5 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Seems like they are much better with that NJ transfer. That kid that is the back up just wasn’t cutting it for CHS. 

Not talking about tonight, just in general. The back up isn’t anywhere near as good as the kid from NJ :). I’m sure you agree as well... 

Looks like the coaching staff didn’t have to think about it. I’ve seen them both. NJ kid is the real deal. 

Are the underlying digs and snide rude comments really necessary on a Sophomore QB? I've seen several snide comments from you and its immature at times. I don't see anything positive out of degrading backhanded comments. 

Support your team. Brag how you feel your teams big o-line will play or how you feel your team will win. Heck spill your dislike of the opposing team or even make your predictions. Just remember there are 15-18 year old kids playing and there is absolutely no need in making degrading backhanded comments about players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I do know one thing, the communication line between Columbus to Bloomington will be lit up all this coming week. I would love to see the 4a team beat up on the 6a team. But that may be a stretch. We have to play it to see, stranger things have happened.

6 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

It was 21-14 at half... it was 14-0 Bloomington South when South fumbled a punt.. not sure what you mean... 

CHS dominated the 2nd half while BS could barely move the ball.  BS south score 14 points in the first 7 minutes of the game, and a gimme touchdown with 35 seconds to go

1 minute ago, southend said:

I do know one thing, the communication line between Columbus to Bloomington will be lit up all this coming week. I would love to see the 4a team beat up on the 6a team. But that may be a stretch. We have to play it to see, stranger things have happened.

Which 6A team are you referring to?  

44 minutes ago, southend said:

Curious where the 4A team beat up on the 6A team comment comes from?

Here is a link to the enrollments and classifications

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/Football Enrollments and Classifications 2017-19.pdf

Columbus East is a 5A school based on enrollment sitting at the 61st largest enrollment in the the State. Even without success factor they would be in 5A. Cathedral is a 4A school based on enrollment sitting at 89th largest enrollment in the State and is playing in 5A due to the success factor. They have bumped up from 4A to 5A, then bumped up from 5A to 6A, now they have bumped down from 6A to 5A. The criteria for classification is and has been enrollment which Columbus East has 1534 students and Cathedral has 1184. The comment of 4A team beat up on the 6A team really makes no sense considering Columbus East has been a 5A school for several year now.

By the way what communication is needed between Columbus East Coach Gaddis and Bloomington South Coach Moriarity? There is no secret to what Cathedral brings, its has been there since week 1 and the start of the tournament. It is all right there on film for a terrific Columbus East staff to see. There is nothing for Bloomington South's terrific staff to add. Stop the run game of Cathedral and you have a good shot. 

Edited by FastpacedO

Tech is an awful far drive from bloomington , i wanted to go to this one but after looking at the maps i  am hoping that it is video streaming online somewhere.  Looks like Columbus fans can jump right on 65 and go pretty much straight to the school .

B south gave up 26 points per game this year East gives up 14 . Will be interesting to see east vs a upper echelon program . Usually only get to see that once or twice a year. Both teams beat Jeffersonville by the same score (48-7) . Not predicting a winner but i would say east has an edge unless they have a mental block vs cathedral for whatever reason some schools historically seem to own others. But that is not the east team i saw last year they didn't fall under that category in my opinion they were better than i had ever seen them. Went to state and had a nail biter vs Westfield.  

WHMB 40 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Are the underlying digs and snide rude comments really necessary on a Sophomore QB? I've seen several snide comments from you and its immature at times. I don't see anything positive out of degrading backhanded comments. 

Support your team. Brag how you feel your teams big o-line will play or how you feel your team will win. Heck spill your dislike of the opposing team or even make your predictions. Just remember there are 15-18 year old kids playing and there is absolutely no need in making degrading backhanded comments about players.

I’m not too worried about whether you like my opinion or not, but thank you for the post and I appreciate your input and letting me know how you feel. The kid from NJ is just better. It’s no secret. You can easily “hide” my comments with the feature they offer on here. 

Edited by Olympian06

I do think the "big East O-line" is a misnomer this year. They average 230-235 this year. Actually one of our smallest lines in years. Still quality,  skilled though, just not too big overall this year. I'd guess Cathedral's lines average 10-25 more per person as they do most years. 

We are certainly capable. If the CE see Irish on jersey and fold phenomena does not happen this should be a good game. Really looking forward to it.

Just now, Olympian99 said:

I do think the "big East O-line" is a misnomer this year. They average 230-235 this year. Actually one of our smallest lines in years. Still quality,  skilled though, just not too big overall this year. I'd guess Cathedral's lines average 10-25 more per person as they do most years. 

We are certainly capable. If the CE see Irish on jersey and fold phenomena does not happen this should be a good game. Really looking forward to it.

They average 251.5 this year if you use the current starters who have been starting. 

2 minutes ago, Olympian99 said:

That is going to be the decider in my opinion. Crider not being there this year i am still sort of holding out on predicting east as the winner. Last years east team would beat this years cathedral team i have no doubt . 

The irish left tackle is 6'6 285  their center 6'3 335 and going to alabama . The other lineman seemed to compare in size to those two maybe a tad smaller but overall they are a big group of kids. Even with all of those guys the irish  ran for 55 carries for 304 yds.  Bout 5.5 yds per carry which by no means is a bad stat . They had very few break away runs most carries went for around 5 yards .  With the bcs d1 talent on the line and with stepp when he was in vs a depleted south team i wasn't extremely impressed.  Stack the box and contain the irish qb  passing game and you win in my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

I’m not too worried about whether you like my opinion or not, but thank you for the post and I appreciate your input and letting me know how you feel. The kid from NJ is just better. It’s no secret. You can easily “hide” my comments with the feature they offer on here. 

It's not the opinion that was the problem. It's the backhanded comments there is no need for backhanded snide comments to any players (not just a player from Cathedral). You absolutely don't have to worry about if I like your opinion or not. If that is what you want to do go for , I hope it makes you feel good about yourself but it's not necessary. 

Just now, FastpacedO said:

It's not the opinion that was the problem. It's the backhanded comments there is no need for backhanded snide comments to any players (not just a player from Cathedral). You absolutely don't have to worry about if I like your opinion or not. If that is what you want to do go for , I hope it makes you feel good about yourself but it's not necessary. 

Sorry that I feel that the kid from NJ is better? Again, thank you for voicing your concern and I will try to calm it down for you.

In what ways do you feel the starter is better? Since obviously you have watched enough game film on both.

4 minutes ago, IRishParent said:

In what ways do you feel the starter is better? Since obviously you have watched enough game film on both.

The mobility he brings to the table, the kid can do it all. He’s good with his feet, and also have seen him make some great throws while rolling out. 

16 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

Sorry that I feel that the kid from NJ is better? Again, thank you for voicing your concern and I will try to calm it down for you.

I'm fine with you feeling that way and voicing that opinion. This comment is what I had a problem with "That kid that is the back up just wasn’t cutting it for CHS."

Now back to the game talk.

30 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

@PHJIndy what time is the tailgate?!?!? 

Before the game starts duh...

Columbus East is a better team than Bloomington South and if Cathedral comes out flat again could be trouble. Not going to pretend I know anything about East but they always seem to have a good QB and a nice set of skill players. The play at the line of scrimmage will be the difference maker. No clue if Stepp or Cissell is playing but if the O-Line gets a push anyone can run behind it. Tough to run up the gut on Cathedral but if East can get their playmakers the ball in space and get to the second level we’ll have a pretty good ball game. East won’t quit and this will be a good game. 35-24 Irish lull away late.

40 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

@PHJIndy what time is the tailgate?!?!? 

I have been wondering for a while how you tag a member like that? So how do you do it? 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

35-24 Irish lull away late.

Saying the  irish will 'lull'away late . Yeah i think east may win also but not sure i would describe the irish lulling away as the method in which they go down ....... 

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Before the game starts duh...

Columbus East is a better team than Bloomington South and if Cathedral comes out flat again could be trouble. Not going to pretend I know anything about East but they always seem to have a good QB and a nice set of skill players. The play at the line of scrimmage will be the difference maker. No clue if Stepp or Cissell is playing but if the O-Line gets a push anyone can run behind it. Tough to run up the gut on Cathedral but if East can get their playmakers the ball in space and get to the second level we’ll have a pretty good ball game. East won’t quit and this will be a good game. 35-24 Irish lull away late.

The issues in the past against Cathedral was East was primarily an all pass team, with absolutely no Offensive line. Cathedral would blow thru the line and you would have a QB throwing from his back. The last 5-6 years it’s been basically a majority run team with some play action passes. I credit the line coach (coach miller) I believe he played in the NFL, on getting these kids in the weight room and teaching them some better techniques when blocking and using their size. It also helps that during that time, East has had dual threat QB’s and a good RB. 

Whats on the menu? Hopefully not diced Olympians haha 

42 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

That is going to be the decider in my opinion. Crider not being there this year i am still sort of holding out on predicting east as the winner. Last years east team would beat this years cathedral team i have no doubt . 

The irish left tackle is 6'6 285  their center 6'3 335 and going to alabama . The other lineman seemed to compare in size to those two maybe a tad smaller but overall they are a big group of kids. Even with all of those guys the irish  ran for 55 carries for 304 yds.  Bout 5.5 yds per carry which by no means is a bad stat . They had very few break away runs most carries went for around 5 yards .  With the bcs d1 talent on the line and with stepp when he was in vs a depleted south team i wasn't extremely impressed.  Stack the box and contain the irish qb  passing game and you win in my opinion. 

I would take 5.5 YPC all day long. Stepp only carried the ball 6 times for 30 yds which is still 5 ypc. Cissell had 6.9 YPC and the 3rd string RB had 7.3. The break away runs are great, but snatching 5 YPC eats time off the clock and keeps opposing offenses off the field. I would take that in a heartbeat as long as it amounts to points. Usually for Cathedral the big runs start to come in the 2nd half when teams get tired.

Cissell was starting to get chunks of yardage until he pulled up with an injury on a carry on the first possession of the 2nd half. I think sometimes people come into the games and think they are going to see flashy play when Cathedral runs. They just pound it nothing flashy and when players miss a tackle or get tired they get in open space and turn on the jets.

2 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

The issues in the past against Cathedral was East was primarily an all pass team, with absolutely no Offensive line. Cathedral would blow thru the line and you would have a QB throwing from his back. The last 5-6 years it’s been basically a majority run team with some play action passes. I credit the line coach (coach miller) I believe he played in the NFL, on getting these kids in the weight room and teaching them some better techniques when blocking and using their size. It also helps that during that time, East has had dual threat QB’s and a good RB. 

Whats on the menu? Hopefully not diced Olympians haha 

You guys will be fine. Cathedral has a lot of top end talent this year but I don’t think they are as good as some of the teams you’ve seen in the past, especially not defensively. Admittedly I have not seen CE this year but all 3 5A opponenents have been able to move the ball against Cathedral and I see no reason why East can’t. Depth could be a factor, Cathedral has worn down its opponents in the second half these last two weeks.

23 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

I have been wondering for a while how you tag a member like that? So how do you do it? 

Saying the  irish will 'lull'away late . Yeah i think east may win also but not sure i would describe the irish lulling away as the method in which they go down ....... 

Typo. *pull away late. Think it’ll be close through 3 quarters and Cathedral will methodically wear East down. Cathedral isn’t a flashy team nor do they need to be. Stick with what has been working and that’s running the ball.

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Typo. *pull away late. Think it’ll be close through 3 quarters and Cathedral will methodically wear East down. Cathedral isn’t a flashy team nor do they need to be. Stick with what has been working and that’s running the ball.

Could happen. People who have not seen east in a handful of years may be surprised. I still believe this is a much better east program top to bottom than i had seen over the last decade. At least they were last year. Last year they had a Center who is now at iu and is getting a lot of pt this season. Lots of the same skill guys from last year still at east. I was one of the biggest east critics until they came in a ran through bhss last year. In previous meetings with cathedral in the post season i would always agree cathedral would win big an they did  , but it is a little different now . Again at least it was last year. I have not seen east this season. 

I sure hope the Cathedral coaching staff and players show up with the same level of "respect" for Columbus East as displayed in this thread.

Who are the impact players for CHS outside of Stepp and Purcell? 

Columbus East breaks down like this from the offensive side.

QB Josh Major : Passing - 66-84 for 1,186 yards and 16 Passing TD’s. Rushing - 135 carries for 1,280 yards and 19 Rushing TD’s

RB Jamon Hogan : Rushing - 202 carries for 2,018 yards and 34 Rushing TD’s 

RB/FB Jaedin Miller: Rushing - 105 carries for 701 yards and 19 Rushing TD’s.