• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

I'm not going to get into the back and forth on this game, but IMO, this game, and I'm not picking a winner, will probably be within 10 pts one way or the other. I haven't seen East play, but clearly, they have a team that can play with the other top teams in the state. Olympian06 mentioned East's big offense line and how they might do against Cathedral's defense, but I might add that Cathedral has an o-line that can dominate, and absolutely wore South's defense down starting on their last drive in the first half and during the 2nd half of the game. This will be a very interesting game for me.

12 minutes ago, ptr said:

I'm not going to get into the back and forth on this game, but IMO, this game, and I'm not picking a winner, will probably be within 10 pts one way or the other. I haven't seen East play, but clearly, they have a team that can play with the other top teams in the state. Olympian06 mentioned East's big offense line and how they might do against Cathedral's defense, but I might add that Cathedral has an o-line that can dominate, and absolutely wore South's defense down starting on their last drive in the first half and during the 2nd half of the game. This will be a very interesting game for me.

I have no doubt the Cathedral offensive line is dominant, they always are. They are a very very good team, I predicted Cathedral to win the game, but I think it will be a close game. 

Looks like this thread could get interesting. 

Ive seen Cathedral on ESPN.

The fact that they struggled with Bloomington South is shocking to me. I assumed it would have been a 5-6 touchdown win for Cathedral. 

That was a very weak South team. 2 teams in East Sectional that they rolled over Floyd Central and BNL would have won that sectional South won. 

Grant it a team can have a bad night and a team such as South can have a great one but the score made me double take. 

For what it’s worth and for entertainment purposes only I predict East wins by 2 TDS. 

Pondering driving up for the game. I love the turf at Tech. If I recall correctly the NFL put that in for the Patriots to practice there Super Bowl week. 

1 hour ago, Starbacker said:

The fact that they struggled with Bloomington South is shocking to me. I assumed it would have been a 5-6 touchdown win for Cathedral. 

That was a very weak South team. 2 teams in East Sectional that they rolled over Floyd Central and BNL would have won that sectional South won. 

Grant it a team can have a bad night and a team such as South can have a great one but the score made me double take. 

For what it’s worth and for entertainment purposes only I predict East wins by 2 TDS. 

Pondering driving up for the game. I love the turf at Tech. If I recall correctly the NFL put that in for the Patriots to practice there Super Bowl week. 

It seems as if Bloomington South always plays Cathedral tough whenever the two schools play.  Credit to South Coach Mo Moriarity for getting his players to believe in themselves.

It's going to be a great game! Cathedral and East will bring their very best and it will be a close one.

One aspect that Cathedral brings is the way they make adjustments throughout the game especially in the second half.  Beating Roncalli, Decataur Central and yesterday Bloomington South to get to Semi State really gives props to the coaching staff as well as the players who can make game time adjustments and execute. Couple that with an offense that can tire out teams at the 3rd and 4th Quarter also adds to the strength of the program.

That being said, I expect Columbus East to adjust their game plan and be prepared for a Friday night battle. Like i said to my son who played for Cathedral during 2005-2009, it's going to come down to who wants it the most, executes at a top level and makes little to no mistakes.

Best of luck to both teams! Hoping there are no injuries and that everyone plays well. Looking forward to a great game!

Go Irish!

21 hours ago, east03 said:

I sure hope the Cathedral coaching staff and players show up with the same level of "respect" for Columbus East as displayed in this thread.

In what post was there not a good level of respect for Columbus East in this thread. I only really noticed  one by a Roncalli fan.

Aside from that Streiff and his staff are a great staff that know Columbus East is a good football team. It's semi-state every team is very good at this point. Every week is a State Championship and the coaching staff and players will prepare for a battle against a terrific team. Coach Gaddis and his staff and players will do the same.

What is the all time series standing . I am guessing since east's inception the only times they have played is in the tourney. I still think this is a close one.     I want to amend my earlier prediction, to only say that last years east team would beat this years irish . Having said that the game should still be close.  

WHMB40     WHMB 40      Cover this one !!!!!!!

2 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

What is the all time series standing . I am guessing since east's inception the only times they have played is in the tourney. I still think this is a close one.     I want to amend my earlier prediction, to only say that last years east team would beat this years irish . Having said that the game should still be close.  

I have a feeling WHMB will likely cover Penn at Carmel or Avon at Ben Davis. I personal think Columbus East vs Cathedral at Tech would be the best matchup or Penn at Carmel.

• Like 1

I'm goin with the Catholics in this one. although I might change my mind. East has a lot of weapons also, its just how the deploy them that I'm wavering on, making my choice. 

1 minute ago, southend said:

I'm goin with the Catholics in this one. although I might change my mind. East has a lot of weapons also, its just how the deploy them that I'm wavering on, making my choice. 

My choice is still wavering on what east lost to graduation in the trenches last year . I'm not sure you can judge their true  strength based off of the hhc schedule i think you have to wait and see what they do next friday. 

3 of the last 4 years east has been playing in semi-state or state. Irish bounced in regional the last two years albeit in 6a.  Not sure if  it will be a factor  , for what it is worth east played new pal close the year that new pal lost the barn burner to snider, east played westfield close last season at state.  Looking at east as though they are still a step brother program could cost an opponent. 

7 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Cathedral leads the all-time series 4-0

2006 semi-state: Cathedral 37, Columbus East 6

2008 semi-state: Cathedral 41, Columbus East 10

2011 semi-state: Cathedral 62, Columbus East 7

2012 semi-state: Cathedral 49, Columbus East 14

On 11/11/2017 at 1:03 PM, Starbacker said:

:17_v:

Oh boy ...... as weak as south was according to you their sagarin rating was still  5 points higher than floyd and 10 points higher than bnl. The fact that south lost to terre haute south for the first time in 28 years and bnl beat terre haute south is meaningless. At that time bhss had lost numerous players and was just at the starting point of finding a starting lineup that would eventually stay healthy.   I don't really think you realize what the word weak means maybe you should look at the hhc and get a good definition ........ 

BTW did you mean "Granted" ?

Edited by MuleDriver

On 11/11/2017 at 3:07 PM, Cathedral Nation said:

It's going to be a great game! Cathedral and East will bring their very best and it will be a close one.

One aspect that Cathedral brings is the way they make adjustments throughout the game especially in the second half.  Beating Roncalli, Decataur Central and yesterday Bloomington South to get to Semi State really gives props to the coaching staff as well as the players who can make game time adjustments and execute. Couple that with an offense that can tire out teams at the 3rd and 4th Quarter also adds to the strength of the program.

That being said, I expect Columbus East to adjust their game plan and be prepared for a Friday night battle. Like i said to my son who played for Cathedral during 2005-2009, it's going to come down to who wants it the most, executes at a top level and makes little to no mistakes.

Best of luck to both teams! Hoping there are no injuries and that everyone plays well. Looking forward to a great game!

Go Irish!

Well said! Looking forward to a good game. The thing that I think Cathedral will be okay on is conditioning, over the past 3-4 weeks especially last week against THN, the uptempo East offense had THN’s defense sprinting to positions as East was already hiking the ball. East is usually waiting for the referree to put the ball down and is basically instantly hiking it. I saw the referee back peddling and almost tripping over himself trying to get in position sometimes. 

East isn’t going to do anything special, you will get a few passes here and there, maybe a little more if Cathedral gets a lead. East will run their normal offense that they have ran all year, a lot of QB reads, and RB running off tackles. QB Major runs very well, and avoids a lot of sacks when it looks like he might be caught. 

As for the East defense, they would actually rather have Cathedral run the ball. Yes, it’s Cathedral’s strong point, but the run D is also East’s strong point. East is much weaker on the Pass D. It has improved over the last 5-6 weeks tho but not enough to say I would feel comfortable. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 11:19 PM, Olympian06 said:

Not talking about tonight, just in general. The back up isn’t anywhere near as good as the kid from NJ :). I’m sure you agree as well... 

That would be incorrect.  I have seen them both play.  I said last year after watching the kid play as a Freshman that he might be the best Freshman QB I have seen in 15 years.  

On 11/10/2017 at 10:57 PM, Olympian06 said:

Go ahead and send me a PM and we will wager a couple hundred. I’ll get 21 points. I’ll make sure I have the money with me at the game just in case :) 

Wont give you 21 on a bet, but your so confident, how about straight up bet?  

On 11/11/2017 at 10:32 AM, Olympian06 said:

Who are the impact players for CHS outside of Stepp and Purcell? 

Columbus East breaks down like this from the offensive side.

QB Josh Major : Passing - 66-84 for 1,186 yards and 16 Passing TD’s. Rushing - 135 carries for 1,280 yards and 19 Rushing TD’s

RB Jamon Hogan : Rushing - 202 carries for 2,018 yards and 34 Rushing TD’s 

RB/FB Jaedin Miller: Rushing - 105 carries for 701 yards and 19 Rushing TD’s. 

I think the best Linebacker core in the State. 

13 minutes ago, Rebeldad said:

That would be incorrect.  I have seen them both play.  I said last year after watching the kid play as a Freshman that he might be the best Freshman QB I have seen in 15 years.  

Because I’m not the one making outlandish comments about what the score is going to be.. Typical tho, you back off when somebody tells you to put your money where your mouth is. Typical RebelDad. 

On 11/10/2017 at 10:42 PM, Rebeldad said:

LOL.  Cathedral wins by at least 21.  See you next week at this same time.

Don’t remember this? Too many basketball practices already? 

When did the success factor cycle start over, Is it a two year cycle?  Since east went to state last year what happens if they make it back . Hard to imagine east being in 6a. 

On 11/11/2017 at 1:03 PM, Starbacker said:

Struggling with Bloomington South was not shocking at all. Bloomington South and Coach Moriarity have always played Cathedral very tough, he is always able to get his teams ready to play. Bloomington South with their young QB, young RB, and current O-line have been playing well the last couple of weeks.

I know a lot of people predict and expect a high score flashy offense from Cathedral, but its not flashy. They basically have been coming out and using their big and strong O-line with their RB's for 4 quarters. This is what they have been doing since week 9 of the regular season.

I will say one thing Bloomington South had going for them is their Defensive Secondary. They stacked the box and left DB's in 1 on 1 situations because they had a solid secondary. South took advantage of situations early. Scoring on their first drive, a bad snap to the Cathedral punter and he decided to try throwing it instead of punting giving South a short field, Broke a big run for TD right before halftime. The Irish coaching staff made adjustments and played well for the most part in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th qtrs.

BTW the turf at Tech is fantastic. It was the turf that was at University of Indianapolis for the New York Giants to practice on during the Super Bowl in Indy. The Patriots practiced at the Colts facility. Tech is a beautiful place to watch a Friday night football game. There will be plenty of seating and a terrific field to play on.

8 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

When did the success factor cycle start over, Is it a two year cycle?  Since east went to state last year what happens if they make it back . Hard to imagine east being in 6a. 

The success factor is 2 year cycles. This is the first of a 2 year cycle. It starts over again after next year.

• Like 1

Where is @PHJIndy?!?!? @Rebeldad, if the Irish come in and completely dominate CE I would be somewhat surprised but won’t be mad. I’ll come on here and congratulate them for a well deserved win. Irish fans are classy 99% of the time, and are a fun bunch to be around. 

11 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

It is always a 2-year cycle. 2017 is the 1st year of the 2017-2018 cycle.

Therefore, CE's 2016 runner-up was factored into the 2015-2016 cycle & will have no impact going forward.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/Tournament Success Factor/Football Success Totals 2015-16 2016-17.pdf

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rebeldad said:

He throws better than the Jersey kid but is not as big and not as effective running RO

8 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I know a lot of people predict and expect a high score flashy offense from Cathedral, but its not flashy. They basically have been coming out and using their big and strong O-line with their RB's for 4 quarters. This is what they have been doing since week 9 of the regular season.

This comment is dead on.......They have run the ball for almost 700 yds the last two weeks.  Not only is the D1 Alabama kid at CENTER  but the LT is 6'6 280ish and the RT is a sophomore 6'4 270ish...bigger than most seniors!  They just pound away running the ball 30, 40, 50 times.  Those guys deserve credit.

8 hours ago, Olympian06 said:

Where is @PHJIndy?!?!? @Rebeldad, if the Irish come in and completely dominate CE I would be somewhat surprised but won’t be mad. I’ll come on here and congratulate them for a well deserved win. Irish fans are classy 99% of the time, and are a fun bunch to be around. 

Can anyone tell me how to tag users like this?