• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
Staxawax

Ben Davis vs Avon

In 2011 Avon played BD for the sectional title. The Giants won 64-41. They scored when they wanted. Every time Avon would get a little hope it was dashed in an instant. That's how good this Ben Davis team is. Nobody is even predicting even a close game.... for good reason! But that 2011 game is what pops in my head when I think about what is going to happen. Some day soon Avon will play in LOS on Thanksgiving weekend, but not this year.

6 hours ago, IRishParent said:

BD 2017 6A champs@!!!!!

I really hope your not someones parent. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Redzone10 said:

Cake walk for BD from here on out.

That's what Center Grove thought last year. 

This semistate matchup reminds me of 2000, when the Giants hosted Center Grove in the same round.  Going into that particular game, the Trojans had never beaten Ben Davis (at the time CG had been 0-4 vs. BD).  Very few people outside of Johnson County's White River Township thought that Center Grove would beat Ben Davis.  But the Trojans defied the odds and beat the Giants 30-28 on a cold night at Ben Davis' Giants Stadium.  

Fast forward to 2017.  I'm sure very few people outside of Hendricks County's Washington Township (where Avon is located) are giving the Orioles an opportunity to beat the Giants.  Avon is in the football semistate for the sixth time in school history.  Oriole fans are fed up with the "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride" talk about their football team.  I'll tell you something:  Avon will come out firing on all cylinders.  The Giants cannot underestimate this Oriole team;  otherwise Avon will wind up with its first semistate championship in football, just like Center Grove did in 2000.

Speaking of the 2011 game, the Orioles committed five costly turnovers, which led to 24 points by Ben Davis.  The 64-41 Ben Davis win is the highest-scoring game in the history of Ben Davis Football.

• Like 2

BD 2017 6A champs....They can only stop themselves.  To much talent even on a bad night

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, IRishParent said:

BD 2017 6A champs....They can only stop themselves.  To much talent even on a bad night

You could start making more original predictions, like the sun is coming up tomorrow, or Trump is going to tweet something......

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IRishParent said:

I really wish you would stop giving other programs bulletin board material.  

Any given Friday...    Please let the Giants prepare without them having to worry about what others will post to fire up other teams.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, INFBallToday85 said:

I really wish you would stop giving other programs bulletin board material.  

Any given Friday...    Please let the Giants prepare without them having to worry about what others will post to fire up other teams.

Seriously if it takes a quote from a message bored to get a team motivated they really didnt want to play anyway.....BD State Champs 2017.  Print it....Watch how they dismantle Avon

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

You could start making more original predictions, like the sun is coming up tomorrow, or Trump is going to tweet something......

Does Trump tweet something everyday?

• Downvote 2

So.........Anybody on here giving Avon a punchers chance? Anybody?

16 minutes ago, southend said:

I will, simply because I can.

• Like 1

Ok, me too. In fact I think this might be one of coach Bless's best teams in a while. I will go with the up set. A lot of super confident Giants fans on here.

Just now, southend said:

Ok, me too. In fact I think this might be one of coach Bless's best teams in a while. I will go with the up set. A lot of super confident Giants fans on here.

I wouldn't say that...

That person who keeps crowning BD is from Cathedral and doesn't know what being a gracious winner means.  

Giants fans have been relatively quiet this year.

2 hours ago, southend said:

I give them a chance.....was at first BD-Avon game, and saw Avon vs Zionsville and Brownsburg in sectional final

Avon's defense is much improved from earlier in the year==Avon just needs a turnover or two, and a stop or two, and this game is a nail biter

Avon hurt themselves with pass drops in Round one between the two

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, INFBallToday85 said:

I wouldn't say that...

That person who keeps crowning BD is from Cathedral and doesn't know what being a gracious winner means.  

Giants fans have been relatively quiet this year.

LOL......There's obviously alot you dont know.

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, IRishParent said:

LOL......There's obviously alot you dont know

And that is? ..........................

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, IRishParent said:

LOL......There's obviously alot you dont know.

I'm talking about here on this board, Giants fans have been quiet.  I'm sure they're talking elsewhere, but that's what our society does.  They run their mouths, sadly.

As for the game, Ben Davis has so many offensive weapons that the Avon defense will have their work cut out, especially as they wear down in the 2nd half.  What is even more impressive though is the Ben Davis defense in the 2nd half of their 3 postseason games.

Game #1 - Lawrence Central:  0 2nd Half Points

Game #2 - Warren Central:  7 2nd Half Points

Game #3 - Fishers:  7 2nd Half Points

They've gave up 14 total 2nd half points this postseason, so if I'm Avon, a fast start is essential to a win.  I like Warren's D better than Avon, so for Avon to win, they'll need to put up at least 40.  Giants Stadium will have one outstanding crowd.

• Upvote 2

40 points won't win it for Avon unless BD has multiple turnovers. Which really has not been part of the Giant's DNA. So, there will need to be very extraordinary circumstances happening for a "puncher's chance" to take place. 

Ben Davis  45

Avon           24

• Upvote 1

Avon- 41

BD- 40

Two late touchdowns by Avon and a two point conversion to take the lead!  Wishful thinking but anything can happen!! 

Good luck to both teams, have fun and stay healthy!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/12/2017 at 7:05 PM, INFBallToday85 said:

I'm talking about here on this board, Giants fans have been quiet. 

There is no reason to talk.

The Giants are very good, but I've seen enough football to know that Avon's a very good team with a very good offense and a talented defense. No one can match the firepower that BD has, and few can match the team speed. Avon's offense comes as close to checking the boxes as anyone. Remember what Warren did. Is Avon Warren? No. I believe they are just a smidge below that, but that's pretty darn good. I can see scenarios where this game is close. I can also see scenarios where it ends up like the first game (tight half and BD opens it up in the 2nd).

We're talking about teenagers here. The pressure is getting more and more great on this squad, and that is the kind of pressure being applied on them by outsiders as well as those within the fan base that are out there saying this thing's inevitable.

It's not. Now, I'm not picking against the Giants. I tend to think this team can deal with just about anything, but injuries, turnovers, miscues, whatever can change the calculus. Avon, playing close to a perfect game, is good enough. If Avon plays solidly, and the Giants don't, BD's probably still a little better. If BD lays a stinker and Avon plays lights out, Avon can definitely go to Lucas Oil, and they won't care how they got there.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 11/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, southend said:

And that is? ..........................

What was the Down tic for? I ask a question. No question allowed? By forum police

On 11/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, BDGiant93 said:

The Giants are very good, but I've seen enough football to know that Avon's a very good team with a very good offense and a talented defense. No one can match the firepower that BD has, and few can match the team speed. Avon's offense comes as close to checking the boxes as anyone. Remember what Warren did. Is Avon Warren? No. I believe they are just a smidge below that, but that's pretty darn good. I can see scenarios where this game is close. I can also see scenarios where it ends up like the first game (tight half and BD opens it up in the 2nd).

We're talking about teenagers here. The pressure is getting more and more great on this squad, and that is the kind of pressure being applied on them by outsiders as well as those within the fan base that are out there saying this thing's inevitable.

It's not. Now, I'm not picking against the Giants. I tend to think this team can deal with just about anything, but injuries, turnovers, miscues, whatever can change the calculus. Avon, playing close to a perfect game, is good enough. If Avon plays solidly, and the Giants don't, BD's probably still a little better. If BD lays a stinker and Avon plays lights out, Avon can definitely go to Lucas Oil, and they won't care how they got there.

Very good post. Can't disagree with any of it. Hope the rain holds off!

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, BDGiant93 said:

Excellent post! I have no idea why you have the negative mark but I agree with your post! Both Coach Kirschner and Coach Bless are among the best in the game! They will both have their teams ready! Ultimately it comes down to the jimmy's and the Joe's. Which Jimmy's and Joe's will be playing their best game. I like both teams and the players on both teams! I hope they all play their best and may the best team win!

i appreciate what you do BDGiant93! Enjoy the game!

Edited by FastpacedO
  • Like 2