• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
Boilernation

Saturday Playoff Games

21 hours ago, Davs said:

Lowell was packed

Absolutely.  The whole world was there.

8 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

Big Hoffa's?

That was my guess. I’m a fan. 

17 hours ago, BisonUmpire said:

I counted and there are only about 20 high school officials who work small college football on Saturdays. I estimate there are about 800 officials eligible to work the playoffs. 20 of them not being available wouldn't create a problem for the IHSAA. Yes, there is a shortage but that does not affect the last 4 rounds of the tournament where only 48 crews are needed. 7 of the 20 I mentioned are referees on their high school crews with 3 of them working this week and all eligible for next week. There are several from the remaining group eligible to work regional or semi-state. It would be challenging for them and affecting them more than the teams or IHSAA. Semi-state gets more tricky because it's the first round of the college playoffs. But those officials aren't available Friday or Saturday because they have to travel on Friday to be at the game site. There could be other officials who have non-football conflicts on Saturdays, but you would probably have to make yourself available either day if you are eligible for those rounds or be ready to find a replacement for your crew on those days. Bottom line. Officiating is not a reason to not do this.

Bison;

Its semistate we're talking about.

In my talking to athletic directors, they cite the difficulty in finding officials who are willing or able to work Saturday games.

One issue is: They (the refs) don't know until a week in advance because the matchups have not yet been formed..

Some refs are also like coaches. They dont work college games. They don't want to work Saturdays

You sound like you know a lot more about this than I do.   But I would like to see the brackets (this year: 2A, 4A and 6A) which play state title games Saturday also play semistate o Saturday.

All other IHSAA state tournament sports have ended by that time...

11 hours ago, RDP fan said:

Friday becomes even more problematic when you have time zone change involved. 7 pm Ft Wayne is only 6 pm in the region. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive .

I hear you but it looks like the Bishop Dwenger game with Lowell will be Friday night.

Coaches are very much invested in the routine of playing Friday night.   If you've won four Friday night playoff games in a row, I'm guessing you don't want to change anything

It is time to seriously consider moving regionals and semi-states to Saturday afternoon.    The advantages are many.    I have suggested for years that semi-states be played on a Saturday afternoon at neutral sites (small college or large high school facilities) with two games at each location.    We attended the Snider-Carmel game and could not enjoy it due to the weather.  Saturday's weather was a lot nicer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Bison;

In my talking to athletic directors, they cite the difficulty in finding officials who are willing or able to work Saturday games.

One issue is: They (the refs) don't know until a week in advance because the matchups have not yet been formed..

Some refs are also like coaches. They dont work college games. They don't want to work Saturdays

You sound like you know a lot more about this than I do.   But I would like to see the brackets (this year: 2A, 4A and 6A) which play state title games Saturday also play semistate o Saturday.

From what the officials has posted in the past I think that during the regular season many of them are working lower level games on Saturdays. That would not be an issue for regional or semistate games because those seasons are over.

3 hours ago, SMHS said:

That was my guess. I’m a fan. 

That's it! Big Hoffas and the place the Faulkners run up in Cicero have good BBQ.

A lot of these “excuses” would disappear if the IHSAA announced the games were on Saturday.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Bison;

The refs get their games assignments from the IHSAA - not the local school.  The school just schedules the game and hands them the checks.  I can see that some refs wouldn't want to work a Saturday afternoon, but how many guys are still doing college during the playoffs?  Travel would be much easier on Saturday for the really long distances.

It really isn't a matter of "finding" officials.  These guys work all year - just like the football teams - to earn these assignments.  Unless there is a family crisis or health issue, I find it hard to believe that the officials would turn down a semi-state assignment.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Bison;

There is a shortage of officials for Saturdays in the Fall, but it has a lot more to do with youth leagues competing with multiple freshman/JV games. There is no shortage of officials for semi-state weekend. Yes, officials have to decide which they are willing to work if they get both assignments. If it's not the referee on the HS crew they could easily find a sub to work the game. This would have been my situation if I had received both as our crew is eligible for semi-state. If it's the referee he could cost his crew an opportunity to work a semi-state. That official may just indicate he's not available for college playoffs that week. Unlike Indiana HS, college crews don't advance week to week. You may get a first round game and a semi-final or only a second round game. But it's a very small number of officials impacted and the IHSAA would not have any issue finding 12 very good, qualified crews to work this week.

• Upvote 1

Not a fan of Saturday. That's purely college football for me. My only exception would be Saturday morning games like the youth and other levels do. Then you have the rest of the day for other activities. I'm all for neutral site games though. Especially for Regionals and Semi States in our current format. I wouldn't mandate turf like Ohio tries, bc that takes more of the football aspect from the game imo. Football should be about mud, cold, and etc. I haven't got my wish for partiality seeded sectionals or Indiana being on Central time (grew up on the IN/OH line and liked the difference) yet, so I won't hold my breath. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jhswildcat79aks said:

thats it

Another vote for Big Hoffa's...one of the better BBQ places here.  Not big on atmosphere but the food makes up for it 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, BisonUmpire said:

There is a shortage of officials for Saturdays in the Fall, but it has a lot more to do with youth leagues competing with multiple freshman/JV games. There is no shortage of officials for semi-state weekend. Yes, officials have to decide which they are willing to work if they get both assignments. If it's not the referee on the HS crew they could easily find a sub to work the game. This would have been my situation if I had received both as our crew is eligible for semi-state. If it's the referee he could cost his crew an opportunity to work a semi-state. That official may just indicate he's not available for college playoffs that week. Unlike Indiana HS, college crews don't advance week to week. You may get a first round game and a semi-final or only a second round game. But it's a very small number of officials impacted and the IHSAA would not have any issue finding 12 very good, qualified crews to work this week.

That  sounds right..Its probably just that coaches and ADs simply don't want to play on Saturdays.  Its what you're used to, I guess.

I grew up in Illinois where they play Friday and Saturday all the time/There used to be Sunday afternoon Catholic League games in Illinois..

To me' a championship game played in bright sunshine Saturday afternoon is just a best case scenario for every one