• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
tommy

Head Coaches Who Have Lead Multiple Schools To State Football Finals

In all my time on the GID I don't think this topic has ever been brought up before and I am hoping somebody help me with a little research because I don't see a list of this anywhere which have been kind of fun doing.

Who are all the head coaches that have led multiple schools to the Indiana state football finals.

There are five right off the top of my head and scouring the IHSAA webpage confirmed it and I just want to know if I am missing anybody.  

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Football/StateChampions/tabid/178/Default.aspx

It is a very illustrious list:

-Russ Radtke North Judson, Griffith, New Prairie (coach Radtke is the only one who has accomplished this feat with 3 schools,

-Dick Dullaghan Carmel, Ben Davis

-Kevin Wright Warren Central, Carmel

-Mo Moriarity Bloomington South, Carmel

-Craig Buzea Portage, Homewood-Flossmoor (IL)

The reason why I bring this up is that Michigan City should be successful in their 5A northern semi-state game at Kokomo with his back to back state final appearances in 2013 and 2014 at Andrean Wolves head coach Phil Mason will be joining them.

Edited by tommy
  • Upvote 1

Three from central Indiana who would fit the bill:

Vince Lorenzano (Ritter and Chatard)

Bob Copeland (Eastern Hancock, Danville)

Chuck Schwanekamp (sp?) (Chatard, Plainfield)

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys, the that champions list on the IHSAA website is kind of hard to research because coach might have made state early in his career in the 70s or early 80s like Russ Radke then made the state finals again at another school in the twilight of his career in the 2000s or 2010s.

Edited by tommy

Did Dullaghan coach at Bishop Chatard and lead them to a state title game?  If he lead them there, then he would fit the bill too. 

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Did Dullaghan coach at Bishop Chatard and lead them to a state title game?  If he lead them there, then he would fit the bill too. 

I did not see that on the IHSAA website football state finalist list.

Jayson West- Warren Crntra and Lawrence a central in back to back years.

Just now, CGFan2017 said:

Jayson West with Lawrence Central and Warren Central

You beat me by like 20 sec. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tommy said:

In your introduction, you indicated multiple "Indiana" teams.

If we are considering multiple states, then:

-Chuck Lori:  Blackford, Ann Arbor Pioneer

Edited by gindie

1 hour ago, gindie said:

In your introduction, you indicated multiple "Indiana" teams.

If we are considering multiple states, then:

-Chuck Lori:  Blackford, Ann Arbor Pioneer

It's all good.  If they went to state in Indiana and went out of state and made it or even better if coach made it to the finals out of state and we hired him away and made it to state in Indiana your up there with the best.

6 hours ago, CGFan2017 said:

Jayson West with Lawrence Central and Warren Central

I remember that. Coach West led the Bears to their first ever state championship in school history. Then he led the Warriors to their eighth state championship, beating Carmel 7-6.

On the multiple states angle. I think before taking RIver Forrest to the tittle game in 1990 Tom Redman took an Ohio team to the championship. 

12 hours ago, Davs said:

On the multiple states angle. I think before taking RIver Forrest to the tittle game in 1990 Tom Redman took an Ohio team to the championship. 

That was a great season for the Ingots.  If Michigan City is successful in the semi-state Phil Mason will be the 4th region head coach to lead multiple programs to the state finals joining Russ Radtke, Craig Buzea and Tom Redman.

Rick Wimmer-Zionsville and Fishers

John Hart-Evansville Reitz and Warren Central

On 11/11/2017 at 3:16 PM, Coach Ellenwood said:

He did coach at Chatard, but I believe he was either gone by 1973 when the tourney started or didn't lead the Trojans to the finals.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

He did coach at Chatard, but I believe he was either gone by 1973 when the tourney started or didn't lead the Trojans to the finals.

Coach D did coach early on at Chatard (think it was his first HC job) but no State Final.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Coach D did coach early on at Chatard (think it was his first HC job) but no State Final.

He went to Carmel from Chatard and won a Championship there I believe in '78 before moving to Ben Davis.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Gonzoron said:

He went to Carmel from Chatard and won a Championship there I believe in '78 before moving to Ben Davis.

He was actually at Carmel in '75 and was a runner-up, too.

Assistant Coach, Chatard High School                      1966-1969

Head Coach, Chatard High School (35-5)                 1969-1973

Head Coach, Carmel High School (64-12)                 1973-1980

Assistant Coach, Purdue                                             1980-1983

Assistant Coach, Army                                               1983-1984

Head Coach, Ben Davis High School            (213-41)         1984-2003

Edited by BDGiant93

Rick Wimmer should be added to the list, close but no cigar in Merrillville, but he has won two with two different schools, most recently Fishers and then also Zionsville. Unfortunately he was ran out of Merrillville, go figure, the current AD who has run the program into the ground got rid of one of the best coaches in the state of Indiana and also passed on Phil Mason amongst others. Also, don't think Homewood Flossomor has made it to the title game in Illinois. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

He was actually at Carmel in '75 and was a runner-up, too.

Assistant Coach, Chatard High School                      1966-1969

Head Coach, Chatard High School (35-5)                 1969-1973

Head Coach, Carmel High School (64-12)                 1973-1980

Assistant Coach, Purdue                                             1980-1983

Assistant Coach, Army                                               1983-1984

Head Coach, Ben Davis High School            (213-41)         1984-2003

Yes, I worked there the first 2 years he was at Carmel. He was a great man. What a character. You could tell he was destined for big things.

4 hours ago, DACNUT said:

Rick Wimmer should be added to the list, close but no cigar in Merrillville, but he has won two with two different schools, most recently Fishers and then also Zionsville. Unfortunately he was ran out of Merrillville, go figure, the current AD who has run the program into the ground got rid of one of the best coaches in the state of Indiana and also passed on Phil Mason amongst others. Also, don't think Homewood Flossomor has made it to the title game in Illinois. 

HF has. 

On 11/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, Davs said:

Time to add Sherwood Haydock to that list. Harding and Woodlan.

Both against Southridge as well.  I’m sure he would love to run his record to 2-0.  Looks like he will have his hands full as Southridge is HOT at the right time.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:44 AM, DACNUT said:

What year did Wimmer lead Zionsville to the state finals?  The only year I see Zionsville making the state finals was 2000 and it lists Larry McWhoter was the head coach.  

Buzea lead H-F to the 8A Illinois state finals in 2014 and lost to Stevenson.

I agree with you about Merrillsmell.  Never seen the Bucs playing this bad in my entire life.

38 minutes ago, tommy said:

What year did Wimmer lead Zionsville to the state finals?  The only year I see Zionsville making the state finals was 2000 and it lists Larry McWhoter was the head coach.  

Buzea lead H-F to the 8A Illinois state finals in 2014 and lost to Stevenson.

I agree with you about Merrillsmell.  Never seen the Bucs playing this bad in my entire life.

Zionsville beat Elwood for the 3A championship in 1987 ... my first state final.

On 11/11/2017 at 12:45 PM, tommy said:

In all my time on the GID I don't think this topic has ever been brought up before and I am hoping somebody help me with a little research because I don't see a list of this anywhere which have been kind of fun doing.

Who are all the head coaches that have led multiple schools to the Indiana state football finals.

There are five right off the top of my head and scouring the IHSAA webpage confirmed it and I just want to know if I am missing anybody.  

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Football/StateChampions/tabid/178/Default.aspx

It is a very illustrious list:

-Russ Radtke North Judson, Griffith, New Prairie (coach Radtke is the only one who has accomplished this feat with 3 schools,

-Dick Dullaghan Carmel, Ben Davis

-Kevin Wright Warren Central, Carmel

-Mo Moriarity Bloomington South, Carmel

The reason why I bring this up is that Michigan City should be successful in their 5A northern semi-state game at Kokomo with his back to back state final appearances in 2013 and 2014 at Andrean Wolves head coach Phil Mason will be joining them.

Unfortunately for MC, Kokomo has been playing really well late in the season.