• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
tommy

How does the Indianapolis Star select Indiana Mr. Football?

Recommended Posts

I was looking at the list of the Indiana Mr. Football list on Wikipedia and seen that Mr. Football is presented by the Indianapolis Star.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Football_Award_(Indiana)

I noticed that the has never been a Mr. Football either from Michiana or the region and only two Mr. Football from northern Indiana was Jaylon Smith from the Dallas Cowboys and San Diego Padres pitcher Clayton Richard.

Most Mr. Football recipients has come from in and around Marion county.

Does Mr. Football have to come from a state championship winning team to qualify?

How do the players get nominated?

Does the sports staff from the Indianapolis Star vote from a list of players nominated to be selected as Indiana Mr. Football winner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they just pick highest ranked recruit from the Indy area, unless there is someone like Jaylen Smith. I am not sure who votes but thats how it usually goes.

Russ Yeast definitely should've won last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CGFan2017 said:

I think they just pick highest ranked recruit from the Indy area, unless there is someone like Jaylen Smith. I am not sure who votes but thats how it usually goes.

Russ Yeast definitely should've won last year.

*highest rated skill position player.

Emil Ekiyor and McGrone from LC are the two highest rated players in the state but would guess they don’t have a shot at winning. My guess is that it goes to Reese Taylor from BD.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They put every high level player from indy area in hat and one random player outside the Indy area and draw. That is the winner !!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

*highest rated skill position player.

Emil Ekiyor and McGrone from LC are the two highest rated players in the state but would guess they don’t have a shot at winning. My guess is that it goes to Reese Taylor from BD.

forgot to mention that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see why nobody from the region or South Bend area never got it and probably never will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbus is not in the Indy area and yet Gunner Kiel and Markell Jones have been Mr. Football. Like Justin Kenny said the other day on WANE TV's YouTube channel, if you're not in the Indy area then you need to go far in the tournament so that the Indy media will take notice. And if you're from a small school outside the area, you have to get to state so that people will know you're good when they see your stats for the first time in the state championship program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wonder why Dunbar or Woodson never won Mr. Football.

When did they start naming Mr. Football?

Is there any where one may be able to view to view historical voting for Mr. Football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, psaboy said:

So wonder why Dunbar or Woodson never won Mr. Football.

When did they start naming Mr. Football?

Is there any where one may be able to view to view historical voting for Mr. Football?

Started early 90s, maybe 93?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Indianapolis Star will almost always pick a player from Marion or the surrounding doughnut counties.  That keeps the vast majority of their (probably still slowly dwindling) readership happy since most of them live in that area.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, psaboy said:

So wonder why Dunbar or Woodson never won Mr. Football.

When did they start naming Mr. Football?

Is there any where one may be able to view to view historical voting for Mr. Football?

Really? Come on Man! The  questions you asked can be answered by following the link provided in the first post on this thread. 

Edited by SR1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wolves on the prowl said:

Started early 90s, maybe 93?

Before 93 season. Barzalauskas won for bhss for 93 season  he was an ol/dl 

rb won it before. Brett law maybe. 92 season. 

 

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Columbus is not in the Indy area and yet Gunner Kiel and Markell Jones have been Mr. Football. Like Justin Kenny said the other day on WANE TV's YouTube channel, if you're not in the Indy area then you need to go far in the tournament so that the Indy media will take notice. And if you're from a small school outside the area, you have to get to state so that people will know you're good when they see your stats for the first time in the state championship program.

Martinsville and Bhss also have two winners. That is 6 so far from outside the indy area. Im not going to look it up but someone should see how many were from outside indy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look.

There’s been 25 Mr. Football winners. By my count 13 have come from Indy or the immediate surrounding counties and 12 have come elsewhere. I understand there’s a perceived Indy media bias but can you really argue with some of the winners from Indianapolis?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Football_Award_(Indiana)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

Martinsville and Bhss also have two winners. That is 6 so far from outside the indy area. Im not going to look it up but someone should see how many were from outside indy. 

Actually, Martinsville should count as Indy area....Martinsville is in MORGAN COUNTY, which is an Indy doughnut county

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

The Indianapolis Star will almost always pick a player from Marion or the surrounding doughnut counties.  That keeps the vast majority of their (probably still slowly dwindling) readership happy since most of them live in that area.   

I’ve never once based my interest on the the local paper I follow selection of the best high school football in the state. I’m guessing it’s the same for 99.9% of the Star’s other readers.

3 minutes ago, Indyyjr said:

Actually, Martinsville should count as Indy area....Martinsville is in MORGAN COUNTY, which is an Indy doughnut county

 

True. Always think it’s in Monroe for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SR1 said:

Really? Come on Man! The  questions you asked can be answered by following the link provided in the first post on this thread. 

Is was looking for voting results from year to year, not just who won.

My bad on the "When did this start question"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IRishParent said:

Mr Football will come from BD.

That is no surprise because the criteria to be named Indiana Mr. Football by the Indy Star is that of which you either have to be from a school from in or around Indianapolis or you have to be a head and shoulder above everybody else talent of a football player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tommy said:

That is no surprise because the criteria to be named Indiana Mr. Football by the Indy Star is that of which you either have to be from a school from in or around Indianapolis or you have to be a head and shoulder above everybody else talent of a football player.

I don’t think that’s the criteria at all. Only requirements for the award is that you must be a senior. Curious to know what players you feel were snubbed in the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SR1 said:

The Star had a story today that said the Indiana Football Coaches Association ratings board votes for the award for the top senior,

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/10/12/ihsaa-football-how-2017-indiana-mr-football-race-shaping-up/758883001/

This begs another question:  Who sits on the Indiana Football Coaches Association ratings board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I don’t think that’s the criteria at all. Only requirements for the award is that you must be a senior. Curious to know what players you feel were snubbed in the past?

Deke Cooper, Evansville North 1995

Led the Huskies to state state championship game... nine years in the NFL at safety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The following are NOT the criteria for Mr. Football but if you're betting money you will likely not lose using the following "rules of thumb":

1.  They will come from either a 4A, 5A or 6A school.  I think there have been about 3 exceptions over the years. No one in 1A has ever been selected to my knowledge.

2.  They WILL NOT come from the O-line or D-Line.  Only Bo Barzilauskas has won as a lineman.  Great lineman need not apply. Bear in mind a current 3 Time All Pro NFL Lineman, every year in the league so far, (First Team All Pro his Rookie Year - first time since 1947) never got a sniff of Mr. Football in 2008.

3.  They most always will be a "skilled" player on offense.  Jaylon Smith won and is considered a linebacker but he could also tear it up on offense - he is also one of the 3 exceptions to the 4A/5A/6A rule.

4.  Most times, it will come from a team playing in LOS on Thanksgiving weekend.  There have been more exceptions to this than the other 3 above (most recently Hunter Johnson, Brandon Peters and before that Gunnar Kiel were exceptions).

Hope that helps.  Not a lot of deep thought is involved.

Edited by Lysander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tommy said:

This begs another question:  Who sits on the Indiana Football Coaches Association ratings board?

Don't know who is on it now. The IFCA website has a place to click on "Ratings Board". When you go to the page it says 2015. You can see who was on the board in 2015. https://ifca.net/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.