• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 
Sign in to follow this  
navy80

Cathedral's Amazingly Tough Schedule 2017

Prior to the season we knew Cathedral would face a tough schedule, but look how it has turned out. I would venture to say this is one of the top 15 schedules in the nation. Here are there out of state games and results…

(10-2) Saint X, Kentucky- Lost 28-35- They are in 2-0 in playoffs and two games away from state title.

(11-1) King, Michigan- Lost 35-38- They are 3-0 in playoffs and in final four.

(11-1) Pickerington Central, Ohio- Lost 20-25- They are 3 seed and play the 5 seed rival they already beat for chance to go to final four in Ohio’s ultra-tough Division one class.

(11-1) Saint X, Ohio- Lost 7-31- They are the 1 seed in Ohio’s ultra-tough Division one class and 2-0 in the payoffs.

(8-3) Ryle, Kentucky- Won 24-17- Ryle lost first round in an upset.

(10-2) Saint Edward, Ohio- Lost 10-38-Lost second round in Ohio’s ultra-tough Division 1 class in a mild upset.

Look at the teams they’ve played in state and in the post season..

Chatard and Center Grove who are always tough. Roncalli- defending state champs. Decatur Central 10-1 impressive team, and now they face Col. East!

WOW…I am not tooting their horn on purpose but dang. Does playing this type of schedule hurt them in the long run with injuries and having to battle it out against future college football players nearly every single Friday night?

• Like 1

man this looks like it could be a 6A schedule and the Irish are just a tiny 4A school. How ever do they survive. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, warren05 said:

man this looks like it could be a 6A schedule and the Irish are just a tiny 4A school. How ever do they survive. 

I’d tell you to go troll on a Warren thread but no one cares about a team that has been eliminated.

• Haha 1

Regardless if you love or hate them, you have to give them credit. They could schedule all indiana teams, weak teams, etc... and likely go undefeated or only lose a few games each year. But they don’t, they test themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’d tell you to go troll on a Warren thread but no one cares about a team that has been eliminated.

Oh that was a good one. Great come back. But u gotta admit that you guys are ok with playing such elite teams in the regular season but when it comes to playoffs you claim the enrollment excuse. 

Just now, warren05 said:

Oh that was a good one. Great come back. But u gotta admit that you guys are ok with playing such elite teams in the regular season but when it comes to playoffs you claim the enrollment excuse. 

Claim the enrollment excuse? It’s the IHSSA that classifies schools by enrollment, not Cathedral. And Cathedral is still playing a class up. If you don’t like how teams are classified find another solution. But stop claiming that Cathedral is using it as an excuse, they aren’t even playing 4A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Claim the enrollment excuse? It’s the IHSSA that classifies schools by enrollment, not Cathedral. And Cathedral is still playing a class up. If you don’t like how teams are classified find another solution. But stop claiming that Cathedral is using it as an excuse, they aren’t even playing 4A.

Cathedral could have opted to stay in 6A. They chose to go back down to 5A because they were tired of not winning state and they knew that going to 5A they would win 2 more titles before they had to come back up to 6A. 

2 minutes ago, warren05 said:

Cathedral could have opted to stay in 6A. They chose to go back down to 5A because they were tired of not winning state and they knew that going to 5A they would win 2 more titles before they had to come back up to 6A. 

So what? Cathedral’s schedule has absolutely no bearing on where they are classified. Cathedral could play the Colts every week or Broad Ripple every week and it still wouldn’t change the fact that Cathedral is a 4A school playing in 5A due to the success factor. Cathedral did not accumulate the necessary points to stay in 6A. Cathedral is not the only school under this criteria either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is an impressive schedule. However you listed 6 teams, they lost to 5 of them. Is it really that impressive? Obviously Cathedral has an outstanding program (one of the best in the state), but I’m not going to pat them on the back for scheduling tough teams and losing. 

Edited by football_is_life
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I try to tell the Roncalli fans that as well that want to throw 2 cents in. Nobody cares about a team that dodges their big brother because of continuous beatings handed out. Won’t be able to hide from them next year either :) had Cathedral fans saying Roncalli quit scheduling them due to the whoopings that the Irish were handing out. Pretty sad lol. 

1 hour ago, football_is_life said:

It is an impressive schedule. However you listed 6 teams, they lost to 5 of them. Is it really that impressive? Obviously Cathedral has an outstanding program (one of the best in the state), but I’m not going to pat them on the back for scheduling tough teams and losing. 

I see your point but most losses were very close. And to lose a close game against several nationally ranked teams is not a loss in my eyes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warren05 said:

Thought you were done posting after Warren was the BD sacrificial lamb.....

1 hour ago, warren05 said:

You will be happy next year, you will get CHS qback to go with David Bell

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, warren05 said:

Because the are a private school and can offer very good education and recruit players for that reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, warren05 said:

OK, so, if they win in 2018, think they will and get sectional crown next year, they will bump up. I'm thinking Snider will petition to stay in 6A as well, if they don't earn. So, what two 6A teams would then drop down??

4 hours ago, navy80 said:

Does playing this type of schedule hurt them in the long run with injuries and having to battle it out against future college football players nearly every single Friday night?

I assumed you were joking but maybe not. Of course playing that killer schedule benefits Cathedral in the long run. Instead of taking a step up in class (horse racing term, not referring to 6A-5A etc) & having to play against bigger, faster teams, Cathedral's opponents drop in class when the tourney starts.

Outside of the last 2 years in 6A, Cathedral is unbeaten in the tourney since 2009. But I am going to go out on a limb & pick Columbus East in an upset next Friday.  

Just now, psaboy said:

OK, so, if they win in 2018, think they will and get sectional crown next year, they will bump up. I'm thinking Snider will petition to stay in 6A as well, if they don't earn. So, what two 6A teams would then drop down??

The two lowest enrollment teams

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

The two lowest enrollment teams

Yea, should have guessed that.

Just now, psaboy said:

Does anyone know where the enrollment numbers for 2017 can be found?

5 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Not sure the website but they are archived somewhere on here if you want to search through the GID. 

16 minutes ago, psaboy said:

In that scenario with current enrollments I believe Jeff is one. 

3 minutes ago, football_is_life said:

In that scenario with current enrollments I believe Jeff is one. 

And Columbus North. Once again that would be with current numbers. 

Edited by football_is_life

19 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Outside of the last 2 years in 6A, Cathedral is unbeaten in the tourney since 2009. But I am going to go out on a limb & pick Columbus East in an upset next Friday.  

Figured I would be proactive & slam myself in order to beat Cathedral supporters to the punch:

How can you pick Col East to beat Cathedral on the road? While the Irish have played the very best from all over the midwest, the Olympians have beaten up on weak schools down south, including some poor 4A schools. Except for the loss to Col North, nobody has challenged East so how are they going to respond when the mighty Irish punch them in the mouth. 

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, psaboy said:

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/021317Enrollments.pdf

Try this link.

If Snider wins Regional next year, they earn the 3 points (2017 Sect=1, 2018 Reg=2) to stay up in 6A. Gotta get past Carmel though which is easier said than done. Seems like Snider would choose to drop back down to 5A if given the option.

LaPorte was 32nd in enrollment so Snider's 6 points bumped the Slicers down to 5A. Looking at Frosh/Soph figures compared to some growing schools, my guess is that LaPorte will drop to 33rd or lower in enrollment & stay in 5A no matter what.

19 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Figured I would be proactive & slam myself in order to beat Cathedral supporters to the punch:

How can you pick Col East to beat Cathedral on the road? While the Irish have played the very best from all over the midwest, the Olympians have beaten up on weak schools down south, including some poor 4A schools. Except for the loss to Col North, nobody has challenged East so how are they going to respond when the mighty Irish punch them in the mouth. 

THE MIGHTY MIGHTY IRISH.

Thats cute

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, IRishParent said:

Thought you were done posting after Warren was the BD sacrificial lamb.....

You will be happy next year, you will get CHS qback to go with David Bell

You have me confused with WC Warrior. I never said I would stop posting. Warren was anything but a sacrificial lamb to BD. They have given BD their best game this year. 

Are u saying Bell is going to go to Cathedral next year or Cathedrals QB is going to Warren next year. I'm sorry I am confused by your comment. 

54 minutes ago, slice60 said:

I remember hearing the same thing in 2013. What was going to happen when Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger punched Columbus East in the mouth and made them play an entire game for once? Hmmm. I wonder how that one turned out.

Regardless, Cathedral is the favorite. Doesn't matter how strong or how weak East's schedule is, Cathedral hasn't ever lost a 5A tournament game so you have to go with them. Blaming an East loss on their scheduling devalues the win for Cathedral. When it comes down to it, we have two great teams playing next Friday night and the better team will come out on top.

11 hours ago, psaboy said:

Because the are a private school and can offer very good education and recruit players for that reason.

Does anyone have proof that they recruit?

10 hours ago, warren05 said:

You have me confused with WC Warrior. I never said I would stop posting. Warren was anything but a sacrificial lamb to BD. They have given BD their best game this year. 

Are u saying Bell is going to go to Cathedral next year or Cathedrals QB is going to Warren next year. I'm sorry I am confused by your comment. 

Sorry for your confusion not sure why  you would be.  I stated YOU would get Cathedrals QB next year.  

• Downvote 2