• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks 

Now here are two schools that I haven't seen in several years, or ever, get this far. Kind of nice to hear about them,on the brink of going to a championship game.

Have to root for CIty - Mason has turned the program around and the people in MC take great pride in the high school

Luv to see them them in Lucas Oil

11 wins in 5 seasons with Karpinski -- Mason comes in & is 16-7 in his first 2 seasons. City finally got smart & hired a coach/staff with championship-level coaching ability to go along with their talented players.

Go Wolves!!! You're the sole LaPorte County representative alive to make it to LOS.

• Thanks 1

Excited to see two team that appear evenly matched with regards to talent/athletes, so to me it comes down to coaching and the Wolves have five former head coaches and Mason has won a state title. 

This game is a pick 'em.  This will be a much bigger challenge for Michigan City.  Kokomo is not a one dimensional team like La Porte or Concord was.  Well coached and disciplined.  Brett Colby is very highly respected in his own right.

Paul Condry from the Regional Radio Sports Network conducted an in depth pregame interview with both Michigan City defensive coordinator Roy Richards and head coach Phil Mason.  Mason talked about in detail about him getting hired at Michigan City and establishing a culture of winning for the football program and the community.

If you click the audio link below the Roy Richards interview is at 5:00 and the Phil Mason interview is at 17:30.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/rrsn/portal.htm?eventId=403976&streamType=audio

Mason should have been brought in to City after Buzea left for Homewood-Flossmoor.

Edited by tommy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not so sure this is a pickem. I think The city is a favorite.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slice60 said:

11 wins in 5 seasons with Karpinski -- Mason comes in & is 16-7 in his first 2 seasons. City finally got smart & hired a coach/staff with championship-level coaching ability to go along with their talented players.

Go Wolves!!! You're the sole LaPorte County representative alive to make it to LOS.

Here is what the sign looks like at the DQ on Franklin St. directly across the street from Ames Field.  All the senior banners are still hanging from the street light polls.  City never even came close to seeing something like this under the other two previous coaching regimes.

dairyqueen01.thumb.jpg.f1e4d7b7049ba47af291480387edc41f.jpg

• Like 1

MC had never even won a sectional title before this season in its entire school history. It's hard to simply lay the blame at just the last coach. It seems like a major cultural issue. The max wins they had in a season was 7 and that only happened a handful of times since 1900. All the credit in the world goes to Coach Mason and staff. What an incredible job they have done, especially as quickly as it has been done. 

• Like 1

Pulling for the Wolves in this one, we played them early on in the season in 2015 and 2016, very impressed with how that program is trending.

56 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

MC had never even won a sectional title before this season in its entire school history. It's hard to simply lay the blame at just the last coach. It seems like a major cultural issue. The max wins they had in a season was 7 and that only happened a handful of times since 1900. All the credit in the world goes to Coach Mason and staff. What an incredible job they have done, especially as quickly as it has been done. 

Very true. MC football has underachieved for a very long time. I was just pointing out that with the previous coach, City didn't even come close to reaching .500 in any of his 5 seasons. And before he moved to MC, his Franklin Central squads went 7-13.

When LaPorte dropped back into 5A, we were thrilled to get away from Penn with visions of another 5A Final Four/State Finals appearance...then City just had to ruin our fun by getting REAL GOOD right away with Mason at the helm. 

• Upvote 1

Back in 1966 I believe Michigan City won the Boy's State Championship in basketball.  When they arrived on the outskirts of town the over 3 mile route was lined with red and white clad fans. Talk about a "Hoosiers" scene.  They estimated 40,000 people welcomed them home.  The old Ames Field was pack with fans.  They literally drove the fire turck into the stadium with the team on it.

City is begging for a winner.  I hope they get it. Would be awesome for the community

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Back in 1966 I believe Michigan City won the Boy's State Championship in basketball.  When they arrived on the outskirts of town the over 3 mile route was lined with red and white clad fans. Talk about a "Hoosiers" scene.  They estimated 40,000 people welcomed them home.  The old Ames Field was pack with fans.  They literally drove the fire turck into the stadium with the team on it.

City is begging for a winner.  I hope they get it. Would be awesome for the community

you are correct, this was after Elston won in 66

19 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Have to root for CIty - Mason has turned the program around and the people in MC take great pride in the high school

Luv to see them them in Lucas Oil

I think my support of Region schools is more than obvious.  That being said, City 27-6.

I like the Kats in this one.  Long ride for Mich City, Kats offense very difficult to deal with, Kats 28-20. 

14 hours ago, southend said:

I'm not so sure this is a pickem. I think The city is a favorite.

One interesting side bar that I mentioned in another thread, two players on City's roster junior Lyric McFarrin and senior Mason Kaletha both played against Kokomo week 1 last season as members of the Chesterton Trojans at Chesterton before transferring to Michigan City, a game Chesterton won 14-7 and Lyric and Mason played really well in.  Chesterton beat Munster the next week and lost their rest of their eight games.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/update-special-teams-defense-lift-trojans-over-wildkats/article_0856b1f2-f570-5a8b-9fe5-3b29336f32d4.html

Lyric's case was kind of special because during the summer he was only going to be allowed to play JV becuase of his transfer but the case was taken to court and the judge ruled that he could play varsity.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/football/michigan-city-s-lyric-mcfarrin-receives-full-eligibility-from-laporte/article_d6f745ac-1f6e-521f-8312-5b93e023a7cb.html

Lyric's dad Lawrence McFarrin was the running back on Michigan City's '95 consolidation team that lost a heartbreaker to Penn in the sectional champioship game and now serves as an Indiana State Trooper.  Mason Kaletha's dad Scott is also the training officer for the Michigan City Fire Department and was a great running back in his playing days at Elston.

Edited by tommy
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Coach H said:

I like the Kats in this one.  Long ride for Mich City, Kats offense very difficult to deal with, Kats 28-20. 

The short jaunt down the 31 bypass will have no effect on Michigan City at all, neither will playing on grass again.  Most of the City players traveled to places like the Chicago subarban area, Indianapolis, Detroit, Kansas City and Orlando for tournament games during their Pop Warner years.  Keyshawn McGill, Mason Kaletha and Braden Fiske (who is out with a back injury) were all members of the Michigan City 2010 Pop Warner Jr. Super Bowl National Jr. Pee Wee Championship team.  Plus they have gone all over the midwest for camps, combines and 7 on 7s (Believe me on that one).

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_3be7482d-c787-55a4-93bf-fb1ba2876103.html

Edited by tommy
  • Upvote 1

Tommy the older McFarrin played for LaPorte in the late 80s, he isn't from MC

2 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

Tommy the older McFarrin played for LaPorte in the late 80s, he isn't from MC

There was a McFarrin that played on that '95 MC team, the used to call him "Baby Bettis" he was a really good back.

47 minutes ago, nwifbcoach34 said:

Kokomo plays on field turf now. No grass!

They need to update that in the Indiana Football Digest.

I remember him, he ran through Mville like Swiss cheese in a game that year. Spicer or Jackson were there backs that year. 

I think Baby Bettis on that '95 team was Jackson. Buzea had us practicing all week on tackling around the ankles. A majority of us would have been bulldozed if we tried wrapping him up high. 

'95 team had to be Lenard Spicer.  He was a beast.

Edited by slicer28

Michigan City at Kokomo will be one of games streamed on ihsaatv.org. Looks like they're streaming four this week as these are also on the schedule: 

Avon at Ben Davis

Penn at Carmel

Southridge at Scecina

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tommy said:

The short jaunt down the 31 bypass will have no effect on Michigan City at all, neither will playing on grass again.  Most of the City players traveled to places like the Chicago subarban area, Indianapolis, Detroit, Kansas City and Orlando for tournament games during their Pop Warner years.  Keyshawn McGill, Mason Kaletha and Braden Fiske (who is out with a back injury) were all members of the Michigan City 2010 Pop Warner Jr. Super Bowl National Jr. Pee Wee Championship team.  Plus they have gone all over the midwest for camps, combines and 7 on 7s (Believe me on that one).

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_3be7482d-c787-55a4-93bf-fb1ba2876103.html

KHS plays on turf.... AND have made nice improvements to Walter Cross field. In my my judgement Walter Cross and Ames are the top 2 football fields in the state. I have worked VF @ MC before.

1 hour ago, slicer28 said:

'95 team had to be Lenard Spicer.  He was a beast.

That's right, my memory is starting to fade as I get older.

Michigan City is having an adult and student fan bus going for $12 and that includes the price of the $10.00 game ticket.

If any crossover fans from the region want to ride the bus you can sign up this week at the MCHS athletic office.

2 hours ago, DACNUT said:

I remember him, he ran through Mville like Swiss cheese in a game that year. Spicer or Jackson were there backs that year. 

They called Andrew Jackson "The Prez" and Spicer "Baby Bettis".

Edited by tommy