• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
itiswhatitis

1A South Semi-state Eastern Greene @ Indy Lutheran

On 11/14/2017 at 9:11 PM, 51jp said:

This Eastern Greene team is very good. They definitely deserve to be in this game. However, having played with all of the returning seniors for Lutheran, I know they aren't going down without a fight. It is a very talented and experienced group. This will now be their third time playing in a semi-state. They know how to play in big games. Rooting for my boys but it is sure to be a good game.

7:30 PM at Lutheran High School

INdeed another great point...     and 51jp--- you were a dang good football player yourself!! 

1 minute ago, Miner Pride said:

INdeed another great point...     and 51jp--- you were a dang good football player yourself!! 

I appreciate it. That means a lot. I have the utmost respect for Linton as a program and as a community, especially coach Oliver who I got the opportunity to play under in the north-south game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

IMO the big difference between last year's Eastern Greene team and this year's is their defense.  It is very good.  

Agree, Eastern’s defense is much improved this year compared to years past.

One other major difference - two of Hamilton’s favorite targets Ethan Helton and Jaden Evans (Joel Weimer is the third) did not play football until this year. So they also have weapons like they’ve never had before.

Helton btw is a pretty good basketball player too

Lute big in this one. If Luthern watched the Western tape you can see how Western exposed EG . EG is way to one dimensional.

34 minutes ago, Redzone10 said:

Lute big in this one. If Luthern watched the Western tape you can see how Western exposed EG . EG is way to one dimensional.

Western?  They are a 4A team in the Hoosier Conference.  They aren't even on EG's schedule.  You must be mixing them up with another team.  I've seen 2 Eastern Greene games this year and they are hardly one dimensional.

Just imagine if they did play though. That film would be disastrous for E.G. in the hands of Lutheran.

15 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Just imagine if they did play though. That film would be disastrous for E.G. in the hands of Lutheran.

I don't think Eastern Greene would shy away from the challenge, but I don't see that happening.  But then again, you never know.  LOL @ disastrous.  Too easy these days to get film on opponents.  They are out there.  I recall a head coach several years ago who refused to trade films with other head coaches.  Not sure what he thought that would gain him.  The numbers were always low and most years, they weren't very good.  To each their own, I guess.

I feel like my sarcasm went unappreciated there.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Kinda funny when players go from public to private everyone throws a s$&t fit, but not so much when it’s the opposite. I️ think you posted earlier in the year you had 5 starters leave. What about the young man that played TE/LB? I️ think he burned Fountain Central for 2 tds last year 

56 Prewitt 5'11 235 and 79 Ditchley 6'4 250 Transferred to Franklin Central for their senior season.

I heard they had been in the Franklin Central program but went to Lutheran after the Burt Austin debacle. After the new young coach got the program back on track, they went back to FC & won a conference championship.

• Upvote 1

Looks like I may be the lone EG guy on here but I'll take my chances. I have been watching EG for several years now and have a nephew who played varsity all four years and was in the start of this turn around for EG before graduating in 2014. This is a team I believe can beat Lutheran. The way they started last week with the turnovers and being down 13 in the first to turning on the gas and never looking back show that. They lack the ability to give up and that's why I think Lutheran will have a fight on their hands. Having watched some of the better backs in 1A the past several year, such as Muerer, VanShoyck, Lengacher and so on, Hamilton I believe is on a whole other level. That kid does not give up and when you think he's down he pulls four defenders for another 5 yards. But the other thing he does well is pull all the attention to him so that others can make plays. So if the defense focuses on him players like Fox, Campbell, Helton, Weimer, Howard and others can make the plays and if they don't focus on him they're gonna get burned by him. The O line is on a whole different level too. Watching the North Central sectional game the NC line was bigger than EG but they were still unable to stop them from doing what they wanted. And the defense is doing spectacular things. I think if they can hold Lutheran under 25 points EG will make it the third year in a row that a Greene county team will be represented at Lucas Oil. EG prevails in a close one, 28 to 24.

While I'm all for the public schools in most situations, I do believe this game for EG will be a HUGE step up in class from what they have seen so far this season.  LuHi will be the biggest (in terms of big guys that can move) and most athletic team they have played by a pretty wide margin.  EG might have been down 13-0 to Fountain Central, but Fountain Central lost to LuHi last year by 30 pts and last years FC team would've beaten this years team by at least 4 TDs.  Eastern is a very good football team and I wish them the best, but I feel like LuHi has been knocking at the door to play in the State Finals and this is the year they break the door down!

Prediction: LuHi 38  EG 20

25 minutes ago, Hops said:

Looks like I may be the lone EG guy on here but I'll take my chances. I have been watching EG for several years now and have a nephew who played varsity all four years and was in the start of this turn around for EG before graduating in 2014. This is a team I believe can beat Lutheran. The way they started last week with the turnovers and being down 13 in the first to turning on the gas and never looking back show that. They lack the ability to give up and that's why I think Lutheran will have a fight on their hands. Having watched some of the better backs in 1A the past several year, such as Muerer, VanShoyck, Lengacher and so on, Hamilton I believe is on a whole other level. That kid does not give up and when you think he's down he pulls four defenders for another 5 yards. But the other thing he does well is pull all the attention to him so that others can make plays. So if the defense focuses on him players like Fox, Campbell, Helton, Weimer, Howard and others can make the plays and if they don't focus on him they're gonna get burned by him. The O line is on a whole different level too. Watching the North Central sectional game the NC line was bigger than EG but they were still unable to stop them from doing what they wanted. And the defense is doing spectacular things. I think if they can hold Lutheran under 25 points EG will make it the third year in a row that a Greene county team will be represented at Lucas Oil. EG prevails in a close one, 28 to 24.

Eastern is pretty good and Hamilton is outstanding as your post points out but when you started comparing backs and indicated that Hamilton is on a "whole other level" than Tyler Meurer, that was a bit of a stretch.  However, if and when Hamilton carries the Thunderbirds to the 1A state title, I might concede Caleb is at least on the same level as Tyler.

2 hours ago, kingtut said:

Eastern is pretty good and Hamilton is outstanding as your post points out but when you started comparing backs and indicated that Hamilton is on a "whole other level" than Tyler Meurer, that was a bit of a stretch.  However, if and when Hamilton carries the Thunderbirds to the 1A state title, I might concede Caleb is at least on the same level as Tyler.

Wow, it’s been 3 hours since Hops’ post and there is only one reply defending a guaranteed Linton legend on a 1a thread??  The 2a smackdown has Miner Nation slipping! 

18 minutes ago, Joe Kane said:

Wow, it’s been 3 hours since Hops’ post and there is only one reply defending a guaranteed Linton legend on a 1a thread??  The 2a smackdown has Miner Nation slipping! 

Lol.... well let's not poke the bear!    I personally think both Caleb and Tyler are made of the same stuff... both were never say die on every play... and both made play after play...  but they are different type backs for sure... Hamilton is strength.. power ...  Meurer was elusive and very quick... but never underestimate his strength as well.. he was one of the stronger Miners and ran enough plenty of opponents! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Miner Pride said:

Lol.... well let's not poke the bear!    I personally think both Caleb and Tyler are made of the same stuff... both were never say die on every play... and both made play after play...  but they are different type backs for sure... Hamilton is strength.. power ...  Meurer was elusive and very quick... but never underestimate his strength as well.. he was one of the stronger Miners and ran enough plenty of opponents! 

Meurer was one of the best high school football players I’ve ever watched. I just wanted to cast a wide net to do exactly as you stated, poke the bear. All in fun, MP. Linton, as a whole, will forever have my respect from on and off the field interactions. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hops said:

After you watch Jones for a few plays you’ll see what another level looks like. 

I would like to see EG win this one but i tend to agree that Lutheran is the real deal. Getting down early against FC is one thing. Getting down early on lutheran would be disastrous. If EG wants to win theyll have to play lights out from beginning to end. 

All that being said i see Lutheran 42 EG 20.

Good luck to both teams though. 

Does LuHI do much in the passing field?  I know Eastern has had a lot of success with the passing attack.  Teams stack in to try and stop the run... bringing safeties on blitzes.. and it seems it never fails they pay... We paid on at least a couple of occasions on long TD passes.. and definitely Fountain Central did.   If the weather is bad... it'll prolly affect any passing.  Hamilton is a warhorse... they called him a moose on the radio last week.... he just keeps pounding.  But Jones...if he gets out in open space.. watch out.. plus he's a different kind of horse!  Low and powerful.. not sure I wanna go head to head with him at full speed.  If he rolls out...those linebackers will have a heck of decision to make... 

10 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

And let's not forget:  Meuer won a state championship.  He showcased his talent, skill, and abilities in the title game.  It was quite a performance.  Having seen both of them play, I think Hamilton has a little stronger arm in the passing game.  Some people are giving this game to Lutheran and some are picking them by a large margin.  I'm telling you, the Thunderbirds aren't just a one man show.  After the first 5 minutes of the game last week, they dominated and dominated on both sides of the ball.   Granted, Lutheran has the experience in deep tournament runs, but Eastern Greene isn't a team you will beat just by showing up.  Eastern Greene isn't the only team that will need to play their best to win.  Lutheran is going to have to do the same.  The forecast isn't very good for Friday night, so I'm thinking turnovers could be a big factor in this game.  I know Lutheran is a good football team.  They were good last year and had a young team.  However, Eastern Greene is also a good football team.  Not saying it will happen, but I expect the final score to be close.  

12 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

I love poking bears. Makes a good conversation starter.

I have to say I'm pulling for Eastern Greene in this one.  I love the story of a school corporation starting a football program in early 2000's and staying the course.  Big congratulations to the entire community, regardless of the outcome. 

Eastern Greene is kind of the anti-DrivenT/Muda.  And that is a compliment! LOL

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hops said:

I love poking bears. Makes a good conversation starter.

That is very much a true statement LOL!  

20 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I have to say I'm pulling for Eastern Greene in this one.  I love the story of a school corporation starting a football program in early 2000's and staying the course.  Big congratulations to the entire community, regardless of the outcome. 

Eastern Greene is kind of the anti-DrivenT/Muda.  And that is a compliment! LOL

It is truly a success story....   I had written this in another post... 

Eastern Greene added varsity football and fielded their first team in 2003.  They would lose their first 22 games before their first win (19-6 over N.Daviess in 2005), then win again 2 weeks later (first ‘home’ win).  However, they went on to lose another 18 before earning another win in 2007.  Joey Paridaen is the 5th head coach for the program , and has the Thunderbirds gaining respect with each passing year.  His first year (2014), the Tbirds went 5-5, then 8-3, and finally a 10-3 2016 with their first Sectional title in school history, before dropping the regional to Linton 56-7.  

Now .. here they are playing for a spot in the state final.. in only their 15th year... And there was indeed a time I think there was thought that the program may not last.   This is coach Paridaen's 4th year at EG.    He replaced Luke Dean, who was the longest tenured at EG at 6 years... whose best record over that period was 5-5 in his last year 2012.  They had won their first ever sectional game the year before in '11 (5-6).  The program suffered early on from a constant change in coaching... 3 in 5 years. 

There've been some good skill guys over the years, names like Josh Kearby,  Ben Hutcherson,  Gunner Porter, Jarred Groomer,  Zach Ingram, Miguel Olvera,  Ben Griffith, Stephen Lagenour,  BRiar Martindale, Cody Hopkins,  Brent Price, Jeff Graham, Isaac Hamilton.... And they've sure had some big boys line up on the lines  as well.... it's just finally all come together under Coach Paridaen.    I wonder how those guys from that 2003 team feel in seeing what they started has reached this level of success.... Nick DeLong, Tommy Bowlen, Brandon Decker, Brenden Snider etc..