• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
itiswhatitis

1A South Semi-state Eastern Greene @ Indy Lutheran

Definitely an oddity that Lutheran doesn’t pack that parochial prowess. In fact, just the opposite, being knocked out of the tournament by a rural public school for several years that I can remember. Congrats to EG!

Holy cow. Looking at both lineups, each team had some big guys in the trenches-- especially for 1A.

They learned a thing or two from Charlie don't you know. You better stay away from Copperhead Road. If you haven't driven though those hills and hollers, you wouldn't understand.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Woody Hayes said:

They learned a thing or two from Charlie don't you know. You better stay away from Copperhead Road. If you haven't driven though those hills and hollers, you wouldn't understand.  

Only come to town about twice a year 

• Like 2

CONGRATS TO THE THUNDERBIRDS!!!

Going in I felt that line play would pretty much be a wash.  I thought I had heard that Jones was already playing this game with a taped ankle.  Did he have a previous injury?   If so, thinking he must have reinjured it during the game last night.  Give him props for trying to keep playing.  That's the heart of a warrior.  Eastern Greene keeps winning in spite of how most people keep saying they won't.  They keep jumping in uncharted waters and are swimming along nicely.  Now it's on to the Oil Can and the Panthers.  This was a matchup I said I wanted to see several weeks ago.  Two teams with BIG quarterbacks and big lines.  I know it isn't just Kiser vs Hamilton, but having seen both of them play, they both are fierce competitors and are truly their teams' leaders.  I WILL be at this game!  Want to see it almost as much as the Linton/Pioneer game last year.  Not quite, but almost.  Okay you East siders, bring back that trophy to Greene County again!

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Going in I felt that line play would pretty much be a wash.  I thought I had heard that Jones was already playing this game with a taped ankle.  Did he have a previous injury?   If so, thinking he must have reinjured it during the game last night.  Give him props for trying to keep playing.  That's the heart of a warrior.  Eastern Greene keeps winning in spite of how most people keep saying they won't.  They keep jumping in uncharted waters and are swimming along nicely.  Now it's on to the Oil Can and the Panthers.  This was a matchup I said I wanted to see several weeks ago.  Two teams with BIG quarterbacks and big lines.  I know it isn't just Kiser vs Hamilton, but having seen both of them play, they both are fierce competitors and are truly their teams' leaders.  I WILL be at this game!  Want to see it almost as much as the Linton/Pioneer game last year.  Not quite, but almost.  Okay you East siders, bring back that trophy to Greene County again!

I bet you $0.82 and Reb’s stack of Jerry Seinfeld DVDs that you can’t make a football-related post without mentioning Linton. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Hats off to Indy Lutheran on a great season.  If not for playing a Greene county team, I would have really liked to see them finally break through. Three consecutive semi states is a great accomplishment... It is also really tough to be that close.  Hopefully, they will reload and challenge again next year.

Congrats to Eastern... sounds like last night was a battle. It is an unbelievable accomplishment to make it to state.  Enjoy the moment... Stay loose and play the game you love.  

I won't lie... I'll be a little torn watching the state title game.  I have loads of respect for Pioneer, but it would be nice to see the guys from the Eastside notch another title in for Greene county.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Kane said:

I bet you $0.82 and Reb’s stack of Jerry Seinfeld DVDs that you can’t make a football-related post without mentioning Linton. 

LOL J.K.  You could very well win that bet.  But, I'll have to pass on those DVD's.  It will be great to see Kiser and Hamilton playing their last game.  2 of the best in small class football.  I believe this game will come down to the defenses.  Eastern won the turnover battle last night against Lutheran.  If they do that again Friday, they will win.  I have been impressed with their defense since the Mitchell game and not to mention what they did to that other Greene County team.  (You  thought I'd' say Linton didn't ya?)   :13_v:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

LOL J.K.  You could very well win that bet.  But, I'll have to pass on those DVD's.  It will be great to see Kiser and Hamilton playing their last game.  2 of the best in small class football.  I believe this game will come down to the defenses.  Eastern won the turnover battle last night against Lutheran.  If they do that again Friday, they will win.  I have been impressed with their defense since the Mitchell game and not to mention what they did to that other Greene County team.  (You  thought I'd' say Linton didn't ya?)   :13_v:

Kiser is only a JR.

• Thanks 2

I watched Pioneer play against a much bigger line last night and control the game. I think they had 1 turnover. There over all team speed was the difference last night. 

6 hours ago, Annexation of Puerto Rico said:

Kiser is only a JR.

Could have sworn he was a junior last year.  Whoa!

Yes he's a junior.  Panthers return 16 starters next year. 9 of 11 on defense.  Some think they're playing with house money again. I don't, you gotta take advantage of opportunities.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:00 AM, Joe Kane said:

Definitely an oddity that Lutheran doesn’t pack that parochial prowess. In fact, just the opposite, being knocked out of the tournament by a rural public school for several years that I can remember. Congrats to EG!

Four years running now. North Vermillion the first two, Greene County the last two.

19 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Eastern Greene keeps winning in spite of how most people keep saying they won't.  They keep jumping in uncharted waters and are swimming along nicely.  Now it's on to the Oil Can and the Panthers.  This was a matchup I said I wanted to see several weeks ago.  Two teams with BIG quarterbacks and big lines.  I know it isn't just Kiser vs Hamilton, but having seen both of them play, they both are fierce competitors and are truly their teams' leaders.  I WILL be at this game!  Want to see it almost as much as the Linton/Pioneer game last year.  Not quite, but almost.  Okay you East siders, bring back that trophy to Greene County again!

I said the same thing myself several weeks ago - this was the matchup I wanted to see.

I WILL be there too! And I’ll have a view from the sideline! Lucky bas#ard me and don’t think I don’t know it!

That’s the beauty of Greene County sports. Every year it seems I get to be front and center for a State Finals. In four or five sports.

I got a chance to watch the archived video stream of this game.. today.  Gotta say... Loved seeing the T-Birds winning and going to Lucas... cool that for 3 years straight there's been a greene county school playing for the title.  But...andre Jones injuring his ankle was huge.  I've read all previous posts about it.. and thought.. ahh well. it prolly wasn't that big of a deal..  but I feel Jones' abilities in running the ball were already showing wear on the EG defense in this first quarter... his ability to scramble out of passing situations made defending him tough.. which I think also made the other weapons Lutheran had more deadly.. just in the focus it took to try and shadow Jones.  Yes indeed.. the Saints shot themselves in the foot early on in big ways...the holding penalties decimated some big plays...  and momentum.   After Jones injury.. Russell #2 had the big TD run on a qb keeper.. (called back by holding..but Lutheran did score on that drive)...  Then Jones came back... and it was painfully obvious that he was not going to run the ball.  He was literally hopping on and off the field, and all over field.  Looked they they went to alot of misdirection.. and were having decent success with Barnham and McFadden and Russell...  and they threw the ball.  Now I Jones threw the TD pass just after coming back... but I also feel that ankle affected the passing game as well.  He couldn't really get out of the pocket...and I'm sure it had to hurt to plant the foot and throw...  There were a couple passes where he was just a few yards off... a couple that could have been for 6.   I do credit the EG Defense...as they held strong, and they very well might have adapted their defense as the game progressed to better address the  success Jones was having early.  So I don;t want to make it sound like they would not have adjusted and made plays and won the game.  They did lay some serious hits that broke up 2-3 passes late in the game that were big defensive plays.  Still.. The Saints sure looked like they were heading down the field to put the game away when they fumbled.  EG made the defensive plays to keep them in the game for sure.  Hamilton's pick on the first drive was key too.  

Offensively... I just didn't see a lot of success for Eastern.  A great catch by Wiemer was abig play that put them down the  field.. and a couple nice Hamilton runs were big.... seems like for the most part the LuHi defense was stacking Caleb up... and there wasn't much happening in the passing game..  But they didn't have any turnovers... didn't make the mistakes that LuHi did... and kept plugging away.  When they HAD to have the drive....they managed to do it with Hamilton bulling his way down the field.  And it wasn't like LuHI..nor anyone in the stands... didn't know it was going to #35!  

When the game was over.. I felt like Lutheran let this one get away.  The biggest feeling I had was.... I know that Jones was the Saints bread and butter all year.  Clearly he is to them Kiser is to Pioneer, Hamilton is to Eastern, what Meurer was to Linton last year...  But clearly he was severely hampered from the start of the 2nd quarter on.  I think he had carry after that... and it was a snap he mishandled and had to hop a couple yards before being pummeled.   I really wondered why didn't LuHi just go with Russell at QB...I mean.. he had a nice TD run on a keeper and looked solid doing so.  I supposed maybe he wasn't a passing threat?  I'm sure the coaches would want Jones at QB for leadership and decision making?  But it eliminated the threat from the position.  Almost like 11 on 10.  You knew he wasn't gonna keep it.. you knew he couldn't run full out.  Not sure I understand the thought process.. cause I know that Jones wanted to be out there.. but at what point it us better to take him out and have a 100% healthy guy in there...   I know I know.. very tough call.  You want your best out there.. but if one is nowhere near able to do what he does..... does it become a hindrance?   I gotta praise the effort no matter what.  And I gotta praise Eastern Greene for going up there and keeping at it....fighting through it... never losing sight of the goal.. and making the plays to make it happen!!  

12 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

I got a chance to watch the archived video stream of this game.. today.  Gotta say... Loved seeing the T-Birds winning and going to Lucas... cool that for 3 years straight there's been a greene county school playing for the title.  But...andre Jones injuring his ankle was huge.  I've read all previous posts about it.. and thought.. ahh well. it prolly wasn't that big of a deal..  but I feel Jones' abilities in running the ball were already showing wear on the EG defense in this first quarter... his ability to scramble out of passing situations made defending him tough.. which I think also made the other weapons Lutheran had more deadly.. just in the focus it took to try and shadow Jones.  Yes indeed.. the Saints shot themselves in the foot early on in big ways...the holding penalties decimated some big plays...  and momentum.   After Jones injury.. Russell #2 had the big TD run on a qb keeper.. (called back by holding..but Lutheran did score on that drive)...  Then Jones came back... and it was painfully obvious that he was not going to run the ball.  He was literally hopping on and off the field, and all over field.  Looked they they went to alot of misdirection.. and were having decent success with Barnham and McFadden and Russell...  and they threw the ball.  Now I Jones threw the TD pass just after coming back... but I also feel that ankle affected the passing game as well.  He couldn't really get out of the pocket...and I'm sure it had to hurt to plant the foot and throw...  There were a couple passes where he was just a few yards off... a couple that could have been for 6.   I do credit the EG Defense...as they held strong, and they very well might have adapted their defense as the game progressed to better address the  success Jones was having early.  So I don;t want to make it sound like they would not have adjusted and made plays and won the game.  They did lay some serious hits that broke up 2-3 passes late in the game that were big defensive plays.  Still.. The Saints sure looked like they were heading down the field to put the game away when they fumbled.  EG made the defensive plays to keep them in the game for sure.  Hamilton's pick on the first drive was key too.  

Offensively... I just didn't see a lot of success for Eastern.  A great catch by Wiemer was abig play that put them down the  field.. and a couple nice Hamilton runs were big.... seems like for the most part the LuHi defense was stacking Caleb up... and there wasn't much happening in the passing game..  But they didn't have any turnovers... didn't make the mistakes that LuHi did... and kept plugging away.  When they HAD to have the drive....they managed to do it with Hamilton bulling his way down the field.  And it wasn't like LuHI..nor anyone in the stands... didn't know it was going to #35!  

When the game was over.. I felt like Lutheran let this one get away.  The biggest feeling I had was.... I know that Jones was the Saints bread and butter all year.  Clearly he is to them Kiser is to Pioneer, Hamilton is to Eastern, what Meurer was to Linton last year...  But clearly he was severely hampered from the start of the 2nd quarter on.  I think he had carry after that... and it was a snap he mishandled and had to hop a couple yards before being pummeled.   I really wondered why didn't LuHi just go with Russell at QB...I mean.. he had a nice TD run on a keeper and looked solid doing so.  I supposed maybe he wasn't a passing threat?  I'm sure the coaches would want Jones at QB for leadership and decision making?  But it eliminated the threat from the position.  Almost like 11 on 10.  You knew he wasn't gonna keep it.. you knew he couldn't run full out.  Not sure I understand the thought process.. cause I know that Jones wanted to be out there.. but at what point it us better to take him out and have a 100% healthy guy in there...   I know I know.. very tough call.  You want your best out there.. but if one is nowhere near able to do what he does..... does it become a hindrance?   I gotta praise the effort no matter what.  And I gotta praise Eastern Greene for going up there and keeping at it....fighting through it... never losing sight of the goal.. and making the plays to make it happen!!  

Couldn't have said it better myself.  If you were a Lutheran supporter watching this game live it had to be agonizing.  As mentioned above the injury to Jones was enormous.  He is the Hamilton/Kiser of the offense and taking away a running quarterback's mobility is a killer especially for 3 quarters of the game.  In addition he is their best returner on special teams and had a good punt return in the first quarter.   Luhi had 2-3 drives killed by penalties, a touchdown negated by penalty, a dropped touchdown pass, two drives that ended in turnovers in Eastern territory, and another drive that ended in Eastern territory on downs.  Playing on one leg affected Jones's accuracy as wasn't able to connect with receivers who running free downfield including on the last drive of the game when you could hear the Eastern Greene sideline shout "oh no!" when Jones attempted a pass to a receiver who got behind the defense.   Despite all of these things and the power delay which probably made Andre's injury worse the saints still had a chance to win this game, but in football as in life sometimes the breaks don't go your way.

For Eastern Greene its an amazing accomplishment to go on the road and win a semi state the first time around.  The players didn't get to Lutheran until after 6 because of traffic, but the players and coaches made the best of the situation.  Hamilton was essentially their offense.  Luhi took away the tight end and the running back, and limited the t-birds two best receivers all game long.  When  I scouted out EG I felt their right tackle Eli Britton was their best offensive lineman and in this game when it really counted they ran the ball to his side time and time again even on the short side of the field.

In the second half Eastern had success with a power qb play that appeared to be run with zone blocking principals.  Caleb did a fantastic job of being patient and waiting for a hole to open up.  Defensively they made just enough plays to hold off Luhi.  The d-line and backers made a huge stop to end the game on 4th down on the saints last drive.  Overall the t-birds defense is very good, but I still feel like I did when I watched them play NCF ; that they have speed/range issues at  1 maybe 2 of the linebacker spots and defensive end.  The other point of concern for the t-birds coaching staff has to be the push and huge gaps the saints line was able to create in the running game at various points of the game.

Zach Terry and Hamilton played great throughout the game from their linebacker posts.  Eastern had some big time hits on saint receivers.

Good luck to both Pioneer and Eastern Greene in the title game.  Having Hamilton and Kiser on the same field will be exciting to watch.  It will give class A football fans a chance to appreciate their talents and those of their teammates as well.